Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sam M
    • By MSE Sam M 12th Sep 16, 4:15 PM
    • 190Posts
    • 148Thanks
    MSE Sam M
    Concentrix issues? Case studies wanted for MSE story
    • 12th Sep 16, 4:15 PM
    Concentrix issues? Case studies wanted for MSE story 12th Sep 16 at 4:15 PM
    Hi All

I'm looking into Concentrix for a news story for MSE. I note from this board that lots of people have been negatively affected by Concentrix and its handling of people's tax credits claims.

It'd be useful to include some case studies of people affected and I'd be grateful if anyone who'd be willing for their story to be used in a news story to PM me. If I'm inundated I can't promise to be able to reply to everyone who PMs me.

Because of the nature of the issue your name could be changed - however, we would want to publish some details of your circumstances such as age, family situation, general location and what happened (eg, tax credits stopped for seemingly no reason, phantom partners etc).

I'm looking to hear from anyone negatively impacted by Concentrix and also anyone who has successfully appealed against one of its decisions (including how long that took you).

If you have been affected, and haven't already, please contact your local MP to encourage them to take up the issue. You can find your MP's contact details here: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/

Thanks in advance for your help!
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 12th Sep 16, 5:32 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    venison
    • 12th Sep 16, 5:32 PM
    • 12th Sep 16, 5:32 PM
    One has to ask what good such a story would do ?
    • lincoln69
    • By lincoln69 12th Sep 16, 10:27 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lincoln69
    • 12th Sep 16, 10:27 PM
    Concentrix
    • 12th Sep 16, 10:27 PM
    Hello Sam,

I have written a few posts about my experience with Concentrix and the total lack of empathy or factual information that they are prepared to pass onto the "claimant," if you have been besieged with numerous stories then I won't supply mine.

Let me know if I can help?

Ali

]
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 13th Sep 16, 7:00 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 13th Sep 16, 7:00 AM
    • 13th Sep 16, 7:00 AM
    Two friends of mine were investigated last year as they had a joint mortgage together but nothing else. From their experience they found the whole process painless and Concentric were very helpful. In the end it was agreed the one claiming as a single person was entitled to.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 13th Sep 16, 3:10 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 13th Sep 16, 3:10 PM
    • 13th Sep 16, 3:10 PM
    How about this, currently on the BBC news site.
    Tax credits mum 'falsely accused of marriage to dead man'

A teenage mother had her child tax credits stopped after she was wrongly accused of being married to a dead 74-year-old man, the BBC has learned.

Nicola McKenzie is one of hundreds of people complaining they have been incorrectly punished by the US firm Concentrix, used by the government to cut tax credit fraud and overpayment.

She is struggling to feed her son, she told the Victoria Derbyshire programme.

The government said Concentrix would "not be paid" for wrong decisions.

The Treasury has revealed 120 cases since last October where the company did not "fully" meet the performance standards laid out in its contract.

But it is feared the actual number may be higher. The Facebook campaign group Concentrix Mums, which has 5,600 members, says hundreds more people have been affected by errors.
    • assj
    • By assj 13th Sep 16, 9:20 PM
    • 1,981 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    assj
    • 13th Sep 16, 9:20 PM
    • 13th Sep 16, 9:20 PM
    That's so bad, I can't stand this company. We have been awaiting our standard renewal since April 16. We still have no answers after being advised by Concentrix that they can't advise of progress in case the information is wrong. I have provided proof of childcare costs but they don't seem to be able to process the renewal, when I call I always get the busy tone and don't even get to queue stage.

• poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 13th Sep 16, 9:55 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 13th Sep 16, 9:55 PM
    • 13th Sep 16, 9:55 PM
    Tax credits firm Concentrix will not have contract renewed

Concentrix, the US firm accused of incorrectly withdrawing tax credits from hundreds of claimants, will not have its contract renewed, HMRC says.

The firm, employed by the government to cut tax credit fraud and overpayment, will, however, complete its current contract which expires in May 2017.

In the eight months until then Concentrix will work on clearing outstanding cases, said HMRC.

It said it would prioritise customers whose tax credits had been stopped.

Concentrix won a £75m contract to try to save the government more than £1bn in incorrect or fraudulent tax credit payments in May last year.
    Source: BBC News
    • dalo
    • By dalo 14th Sep 16, 9:17 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    dalo
    • 14th Sep 16, 9:17 AM
    • 14th Sep 16, 9:17 AM
    That's so bad, I can't stand this company. We have been awaiting our standard renewal since April 16. We still have no answers after being advised by Concentrix that they can't advise of progress in case the information is wrong. I have provided proof of childcare costs but they don't seem to be able to process the renewal, when I call I always get the busy tone and don't even get to queue stage.
    Originally posted by assj
    The same has happened to me. My documents were sent by the June deadline, I applied for a re-mortgage in August as they needed the new renewal for proof of income, I called them 1st August in tears saying I could lose my mortgage and house and they said it was waiting a decision, called again a week later to say it hadn't even gone to a decision maker it was in the pile to go to decisions,

Then two weeks ago I called and he moved it to decision making pile, then last week he assured me it would be looked at that day. Rang Monday and was told no it hadn't was still waiting. Luckily my mortgage was approved and they haven't stopped my money but they don't care. 3 months now I've been waiting for a decision. I think it's a joke.
    • DanniH
    • By DanniH 15th Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DanniH
    • 15th Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    Concentric issue
    • 15th Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    Hi, I was contacted by them and asked to provide proof my son was in childcare which I did in June 2016. I had my receipts returned and was told they would be in touch, that was 3 months ago. I have just rung HM revenue this morning and they are unable to provide any details, although the lady was very nice, I was advised to keep ringing concentric, but they are not answering calls. How do we expect to receive answers if we can not get hold of anyone and HM rev cannot help either? My son is now in full time school but HM Rev cannot amend anything on their systems as concentric have my case and I can't get hold of them! I am 29 weeks pregnant and finding this very stressful as I can imagine most others are too. Thanks.
    • tommytynan123
    • By tommytynan123 18th Sep 16, 12:28 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    tommytynan123
    Hi, I was contacted by them and asked to provide proof my son was in childcare which I did in June 2016. I had my receipts returned and was told they would be in touch, that was 3 months ago. I have just rung HM revenue this morning and they are unable to provide any details, although the lady was very nice, I was advised to keep ringing concentric, but they are not answering calls. How do we expect to receive answers if we can not get hold of anyone and HM rev cannot help either? My son is now in full time school but HM Rev cannot amend anything on their systems as concentric have my case and I can't get hold of them! I am 29 weeks pregnant and finding this very stressful as I can imagine most others are too. Thanks.
    Originally posted by DanniH
    You are spot-on DanniH with the stress. My sons ex (and grand-daughter) - we all get on fine which is helpful - is going thro the same mill with false allegations of co-habiting etc etc. Luckily we can help, but for some people it must be a nightmare. So, why have I posted?

Apart from trying to phone and/or waiting is there anything else she can do??
    • Ashleighjade
    • By Ashleighjade 19th Sep 16, 3:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ashleighjade
    Concentrix Nightmare!!
    I recently received a letter ( 18th August 2016 ) from concentrix saying that im no longer entitled to claim as a single parent. I was confused and shocked when I received this letter as it stated that I didn't respond to the letter they sent out on the 10th June 2016 which I never received any other letter. They stopped my payments immediately. I contacted concentrix on the same day I received this letter, they said that I had someone loving with me which is not true. My children's farther had contacted HMRC to say that he has been living with me since December 2015 when in fact we have been separated early 2013. I am on the verge of losing my house everything my wage dont even cover my rent. I have been trying to get in contact with concentrix for the last two weeks but it always says its busy. I have contacted Hmrc tax credits but they say because my claim has been terminated they cant do anything. I really feel like there is no way out. I don't know who else I can contact. I really feel like I'm on my own here. I'm scared of losing everything, can anyone help me please.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 28th Sep 16, 10:09 AM
    • 7,905 Posts
    • 19,722 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone

The Parliament Work and Pensions Committee is organising an evidence session in Parliament on 13 October to hear the stories of how people have tried to resolve their issues with Concentrix. It will also be talking to Concentrix and the Minister in the session.

The Committee would like to invite three people to come in to talk with it publicly in the session.

If you're available for the whole morning of 13 October please email digitaloutreach@parliament.uk with your name, best contact details and a brief summary of your story.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • UKParliament
      Verified User verified user
    • By UKParliament Verified User verified user 7th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    • 655 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    UKParliament
    Hi Everyone,

Many thanks to everyone who contacted us about giving evidence to the Work and Pensions Committee.

You can watch the session live on Thursday 13 October at 11.30am or catch up later.

The Work and Pensions Committee will take evidence from tax credit claimants as well as representatives from Concentrix and HMRC regarding errors made in handling tax credit claims.

Witnesses
    11.30am: Tax credit claimants
    12.15pm: Representatives from Concentrix including Philip Cassidy, Senior Vice President
    13.00pm: Jon Thompson, Chief Executive and Permanent Secretary, HMRC, Nick Lodge, Director General Benefits and Credits and Director General Transformation, HMRC

Chair's Comment
    Frank Field MP, Chair of the Work and Pensions Committee, said:

‘If Britain’s vulnerable human underbelly is to be protected from future misery, it is important that the Select Committee begins the public process of learning what exactly has been happening during Concentrix’s stewardship. Once we have done so, we will then be inviting the Government to act on this information so that tax credit claimants in future will not be left penniless through no fault of their own.’

Watch the session on Parliament TV
    Official Organisation Representative
    I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 13th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    • 7,905 Posts
    • 19,722 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone

The evidence session to Parliament is on now. Let us know if you're one of the people giving evidence (when you're not live on TV that is!)

See Sam's news story: Concentrix claimants to give evidence to MPs

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • UKParliament
    • By UKParliament Verified User verified user 14th Oct 16, 8:28 AM
    • 655 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    UKParliament
    Hi Everyone,

The Work and Pensions Committee issued a comment on the "extraordinary" evidence it heard, from four single parents who had wrongly had their tax credits stopped, senior staff from Concentrix, including senior Vice President Philip Cassidy, and HMRC, including Chief Executive and Permanent Secretary Jon Thompson.

The Committee heard:
    • The humiliation of claimants who were forced to borrow money from friends and family in order to feed their children as they were left without benefits, to which they were ultimately found to be entitled, for up to seven weeks
    • Appalling customer service which saw claimants calling up to 70 times to get through as just 1% of calls were answered by Concentrix at the height of the crisis. One claimant finally waited 90 minutes to speak to a Concentrix adviser on an 0845 number, at great personal expense
    • Appeal success rates of 73% according to HMRC or 90-95% according to Concentrix; either way a terrible indictment of the original decision-making process
    • Refunds to claimants taking place over a series of months. In one case, a single mother lost housing benefit because a refund of wrongly withdrawn tax credits took her over an income threshold. Others will have taken on debts in the meantime
    • Repeated buck-passing between Concentrix and HMRC, who signed the contract, as to who was responsible
    • HMRC Permanent Secretary Jon Thompson was unable to explain what had gone wrong and why

Committee to seek clarifications from Concentrix and HMRC

The Committee has agreed to write to both Concentrix and HMRC demanding urgent information regarding:
    • How the performance of Concentrix was monitored by HMRC
    • Levels of staffing at Concentrix, in particular during August 2016, and the training provided to staff
    • Steps HMRC will take to compensate claimants, ensure they are not further disadvantaged, and review decisions taken by Concentrix
    • Assurance that Concentrix will not be compensated for HMRC taking much of their responsibilities back in-house

The Committee also plans to issue a report into the scandal.

Chair's comment
    Frank Field MP, Chair of the Work and Pensions Committee, said:

"The Committee was astonished by the extraordinary evidence we heard. From Concentrix we saw a company desperately out of their depth and unable to deliver on the contract awarded to them by HMRC. From senior HMRC officials we saw a palpable disregard for the human implications of this gross failure of public service. From the tax credit claimants we saw dignity in the face of appalling and traumatic experiences.

We have no doubt that many people similarly affected have been unable to come forward. I welcome HMRC’s swift action on the Concentrix contract, but that does not excuse them for ever having allowed this to happen."
    I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 14th Oct 16, 10:54 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    MABLE
    It was noted they HMRC have deployed 500 of their staff to deal with the clear up. My question is did they really need to outsource in the first place.

If HMRC had completely did it themselves then they would not have had to pay Concentrix any commission on results. After watching the programme yesterday I got the impression the poor claimants were being treated like criminals. But what do you expect with Concentrix staff who are only about 21 years old with no people skills dealing with the cases.

I do hope a lesson has been truly learnt and HMRC will think twice before they decide to outsource the contract again.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 16th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Ian011
    * One claimant finally waited 90 minutes to speak to a Concentrix adviser on an 0845 number, at great personal expense.
    Originally posted by UKParliament
    How long ago was this?

HMRC replaced 0845 numbers with 0300 and 0345 numbers between April and October 2013.
    DWP replaced 0845 numbers with 0345 numbers on 17 March 2014.

Old HMRC numbers return Number Unobtainable tone.
    Old DWP numbers tell callers to hang up and re-dial the new 0345 number.

Calls to 03 numbers are inclusive from landlines and mobiles, else charged at 'geographic rate' - the same as calling 01 and 02 numbers.
    Last edited by Ian011; 16-10-2016 at 8:03 PM.
    • UKParliament
    • By UKParliament Verified User verified user 26th Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    • 655 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    UKParliament
    Today at approximately 1pm, there will be an opposition day debate on Concentrix.

MPs will debate the motion
    'That this House notes that Concentrix has not fully met the performance standards set out in
    its contract with the HM Revenue and Customs to correct tax credit claims, and welcomes the
    announcement that the services performed by Concentrix will be brought back in-house to
    HMRC next year; and calls on the Government to conduct a comprehensive investigation into
    the performance of Concentrix under its contract with HMRC, which includes a consideration
    of the potential effect on other HMRC services, take urgent action to compensate people who
    have erroneously had tax credits withdrawn by the company, and in doing so mitigate any
    adverse effect or reduction in service for claimants.'

There is a proposed amendment to this motion,
    At end add '; calls on HMRC to end the financial barriers to justice for those claimants by
    meeting the costs of querying a claim and applying for a mandatory reconsideration;
    further calls on the Government to bring forward legislation as soon as practicable to
    amend the compliance regime in respect of Annual Declarations and High Risk
    Renewals; urges HM Treasury to provide an apology to all those people who were
    adversely affected by the actions of Concentrix and HMRC; and further calls on the
    Government to ensure that those people are treated by HMRC in future with dignity and
    respect.'.

You can watch this debate live or catch-up later on Parliament TV.

• Liznic82
    • By Liznic82 4th Nov 16, 5:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Liznic82
    I am currently suffering thanks to this company. They wrote to me requesting information as apparently I had a partner. I sent all the proofs they requested. Never heard back then my money stopped. 6 weeks living on about 500 a month for me and four children. Concentrix say one thing tax credits say another. They have now decided they only needed to pay me £511 for the period of no tax credits. I have now lost my job as I couldn't pay for childcare I now have to return my car on finance back as I can't pay which means I can't get kids to school and I cant even travel to work if I still had my job. So now I owe 14000 to tax credits and 7000 for my car. I have contacted my local mp Ronnie Campbell who also spoke to tax credits and he is quite happy with their decision. Which means have messed up my life and finances and apparently that's ok.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,408Posts Today

7,012Users online

Martin's Twitter