Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danonwheels
    • By danonwheels 12th Sep 16, 2:48 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 4Thanks
    danonwheels
    Packaged Bank Account Claim
    • 12th Sep 16, 2:48 PM
    Packaged Bank Account Claim 12th Sep 16 at 2:48 PM
    On Saturday evening I used the Resolver tool on here to put in a claim for my packaged account fees back, after reading the info on here and a lot of the threads on this forum.

Today I received a call from a manager at my bank (Halifax) who asked some questions - had I used any of the insurances included in it, what were the circumstances around upgrading the account etc which I answered and he then said he'd do some investigation and come back to me with a decision tomorrow.

If they uphold the complaint I'm up for 6 years worth of £15/month charges plus the 8% interest and my bank account would be downgraded to a standard, free account.

I've got my fingers crossed.....
Page 1
    • danonwheels
    • By danonwheels 14th Sep 16, 8:25 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    danonwheels
    • 14th Sep 16, 8:25 AM
    • 14th Sep 16, 8:25 AM
    Success! Had a call from the bank last night and they have refunded the account fees back to 2010, totalling £1456. In addition he mentioned that the application of that account fee had at times caused me to exceed my overdraft limit, for which I had been charged so they have refunded those charges as well, another £400 and they have put a freeze on any more overdraft charges being applied to my account for 3 months.

To say I was shocked is an understatement. And all that from about 10 minutes effort on my part. And the cash was in my account just 3 hours later.

Thank you to MSE and the Resolver tool.
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 14th Sep 16, 8:34 AM
    • 2,525 Posts
    • 3,705 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 14th Sep 16, 8:34 AM
    • 14th Sep 16, 8:34 AM
    I think it would be very unlikely that the actual manager of your branch would have called on this one to be honest, I also find a two day turn around very quick to.

I am not saying I disbelieve you but something does not add up in full here, I believe that getting the fee back is a good thing but would be better if the details tallied up with the general timescales on this from the banks in question.
    " I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 14th Sep 16, 8:43 AM
    • 27,875 Posts
    • 15,753 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 14th Sep 16, 8:43 AM
    • 14th Sep 16, 8:43 AM
    ...what were the circumstances around upgrading the account etc
    Originally posted by danonwheels
    Just out of interest what were your reasons for your decision to upgrade the account?...truthfully please.

And did they deduct any £5 Reward payments, if indeed you'd had any?
    • danonwheels
    • By danonwheels 14th Sep 16, 8:57 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    danonwheels
    • 14th Sep 16, 8:57 AM
    • 14th Sep 16, 8:57 AM
    I think it would be very unlikely that the actual manager of your branch would have called on this one to be honest, I also find a two day turn around very quick to.
    Originally posted by Stevie Palimo
    The resolver form was completed on my phone whilst in the bath on Saturday evening, the first info gathering call was on Monday afternoon and the decision call was yesterday at 5:45pm as I was arriving at college (I'm learning BSL at level 2 in Sheffield). I checked my account on the train home just after 9pm and the money was there. I never said that the manager who called was a branch manager - but he did announce himself as some kind of manager and preceding both calls from him (by about 10 minutes) I received a text from the bank giving his full name and a direct phone number to contact him on if I missed his call.

I am not saying I disbelieve you but something does not add up in full here, I believe that getting the fee back is a good thing but would be better if the details tallied up with the general timescales on this from the banks in question.
    Well believe what you like. What I've reported is exactly what happened.
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 14th Sep 16, 9:02 AM
    • 2,525 Posts
    • 3,705 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 14th Sep 16, 9:02 AM
    Well I did a PPI claim with my bank direct and it most certainly did not take only a few days and was more like a couple of months from start to finish, As I said getting your fee back is good.

Timescales of 2 days simply do not add up though as no bank deals with issues like this quickly and that is just a fact.
    " I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "
    • danonwheels
    • By danonwheels 14th Sep 16, 9:02 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    danonwheels
    Just out of interest what were your reasons for your decision to upgrade the account?...truthfully please.

And did they deduct any £5 Reward payments, if indeed you'd had any?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    I had gone into my local (at the time) branch to discuss setting up an overdraft facility and been told I had to upgrade my account in order to have that. The lady I spoke to had then led me to a PC in the branch and talked me through logging into my account online and upgrading the account.

The chap I spoke to on the phone last night told me that usually upgrading online would automatically rule out a refund of the fees as the upgrade wouldn't count as having been mis-sold but then went on to explain that this didn't apply in my case as I had freely submitted that information in the first call before I had found this out.

As for the reward payments, they were never mentioned.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 14th Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    • 3,416 Posts
    • 3,026 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 14th Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    • 14th Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    Well I did a PPI claim with my bank direct and it most certainly did not take only a few days and was more like a couple of months from start to finish, As I said getting your fee back is good.

Timescales of 2 days simply do not add up though as no bank deals with issues like this quickly and that is just a fact.
    No, it's an assertion! There used to be a long thread on here all about packaged bank claims and it was littered with tales of swift resolutions like OP's, so personally I'm unconvinced that you should be so accusing here. That's not to say that all claims are sorted out quickly of course but equally it's invalid to assert that none are....
    • danonwheels
    • By danonwheels 15th Sep 16, 9:04 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    danonwheels
    • 15th Sep 16, 9:04 AM
    • 15th Sep 16, 9:04 AM

PPI is a completely different kettle of fish. From reading posts on these forums similar to mine it seems that the majority of banks are extremely quick to sort these types of complaints out - most are resolved the same day the complaint is made.
    • vegas123
    • By vegas123 15th Sep 16, 9:16 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    vegas123
    PPI is a completely different kettle of fish. From reading posts on these forums similar to mine it seems that the majority of banks are extremely quick to sort these types of complaints out - most are resolved the same day the complaint is made.
    Originally posted by danonwheels
    Yes I have had a quick response too. Filled out resolver form yesterday morning and the bank rang me today to go through things.
    They said they will ring back tomorrow with a decision, so it is fast. Hope mine is result is like yours!
    • Pdoc77
    • By Pdoc77 21st Sep 16, 6:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pdoc77
    Wish I had the same result from my 'tough' bank HSBC. After 8 weeks they have refused my claim.

I was mis-sold the Packaged account at the exact same time I applied for a loan about ten years ago. At the time I felt I had to go with the packaged account to be granted the loan. Never had any real use of any of the so called benefits in all those years.

Well I have to escalate now to the FOB.

May take many more months to resolve!
    • MARTYM8`
    • By MARTYM8` 21st Sep 16, 8:01 PM
    • 1,167 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    MARTYM8`
    Good luck to the OP.

But wouldn't it be nice if banks were required to offer bailouts and payouts to the prudent and not the stupid.

Why is it the banks fault anyone paid £10 (or £15) a month for years for travel insurance. mobile phone cover and car breakdown cover which was cheaper than buying those separately?

No one is that stupid - surely? Did you never go on holiday or think your car might break down or worry you might lose your phone - and how much might you have spent if you bought that cover separately? The fact you never claimed doesn't mean you didnt use the insurance or need it.

Those of us who are prudent have to suffer with woeful interest rates while others get money thrown at them for their stupidity? And we also get harassed with endless cold calling too.

I was mis-sold it - really?!
    Last edited by MARTYM8`; 21-09-2016 at 8:03 PM.
    • Pdoc77
    • By Pdoc77 21st Sep 16, 8:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pdoc77
    Well 'MARTYM8' Banks are certainly 'stupid' enough to cause havoc and then expect bailouts from the tax paying British Public!! Rarely do they actually support the prudent among us. Has this somehow escaped your memory?!!

Do you understand the meaning of being mis-sold?, or understand the correct process to determine whether something is being sold correctly in meeting that persons demands and needs? Hmmm, Have you ever asked the banks how much commission they payed their packaged account sales persons?...and whether they were selling those packaged accounts with the interests and needs of the customer in mind or their own bonuses and commission cheques?

Before assumption and judgement (disguised in the from of a '?') is suggested perhaps time should be taken to discover the facts (Something that bank salespersons are also not very good at!).

Break down cover - If a car has not been owned does packaged bank account breakdown cover meet the customers needs?
    Travel Insurance - If someone has separate long stay travel insurance does the Package account cover meet their needs?
    If someone has a low range phone at around £60 - Does Package account phone cover really meet their needs?

I agree with you only in respect of one thing - yes the prudent, have suffered significantly with woeful interest rates over the last decade or so - but, in my opinion, one of the main causes of this is because the UK economy over the past decade or two has been one of soaring house prices and all that that entails (keeping interest rates low etc to achieve that).

Yes I believe I have been mis-sold and will escalate the case to the FOB - I do not expect any words of encouragement or understanding from you!!
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 21st Sep 16, 9:26 PM
    • 7,380 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    bigadaj
    The problem is the wrong people have benefitted across the whole process.

Many people who have received refunds weren't Mis sold, there wasn't just the evidence to prove that the sale was justified.

Similarly the commission from sales went to staff, and bonuses for management. The refunds are paid out of shareholder funds, many of whom are people with pensions and isas, so the general public really.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 21st Sep 16, 9:31 PM
    • 27,875 Posts
    • 15,753 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    At the time I felt I had to go with the packaged account to be granted the loan.
    Originally posted by Pdoc77
    So they never actually said/confirmed/insisted/held a gun against your head until you took the packaged account. You just had a 'feeling' that you should do? How about the following months and years since (I believe you said 10 years?)?...did this 'feeling' remain with you? Or are you claiming for the period 8-10 years ago only? Because surely when this 'feeling' eased/changed you cancelled it?...yes?
    Never had any real use of any of the so called benefits in all those years.
    Ah, so it is 10 years then? Even though you'd presumably paid off the loan many years ago? You either had use or no use...there's no inbetween is there?
    Who are "the FOB"? Or did you mean the FOS?
    Break down cover - If a car has not been owned does packaged bank account breakdown cover meet the customers needs?
    The answer to that question is (almost certainly) yes, if you're a passenger. Or have you never been a passenger in a car over the last 10 years?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 22nd Sep 16, 12:54 AM
    • 3,416 Posts
    • 3,026 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Wish I had the same result from my 'tough' bank HSBC. After 8 weeks they have refused my claim.

I was mis-sold the Packaged account at the exact same time I applied for a loan about ten years ago. At the time I felt I had to go with the packaged account to be granted the loan. Never had any real use of any of the so called benefits in all those years.

May take many more months to resolve!
    Originally posted by Pdoc77
    Did HSBC reject your claim on legitimate time-barring grounds, i.e. you were too late to complain (6 years after alleged missale or 3 years after being aware of it)? If so then FOS won't overrule them, regardless of the strength of your case, see https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/DISP/2/8.html#D471.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

2,215Users online

Martin's Twitter