Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jessica
    • By MSE Jessica 12th Sep 16, 11:47 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 26Thanks
    MSE Jessica
    Are security questions getting a bit 'too' intimate?
    • 12th Sep 16, 11:47 AM
    Are security questions getting a bit 'too' intimate? 12th Sep 16 at 11:47 AM
    As the threat against financial security grows ever more complex, so do the details that banks use to keep our money safe and out of reach of the scammers.

Financial institutions are pushed into delving further into our personal lives (disclosing detail we would never dream of sharing online, maybe that's the point) in order to safeguard against data thieves and assure it's genuinely you who is accessing the account.

But are security questions becoming TOO intimate?

We already know that banks require details such as your mother's maiden name, the name of your first pet, where your parents met, What's the name of your favorite actor etc but asking 'Who was your first kiss?' and 'Who was your school crush? Questions that could potentially ignite highly emotional reactions from loved ones or worse.

More recently we've discovered some really odd questions from institutions all over the world...

Where is your great grandmother buried?
    What was your hair color as a child?
    What is the license plate (registration) of your dad’s first car?
    What sports team do you love to see lose?
    What is the name of your least favorite relative?

So we ask you; What's the craziest security questions you’ve been asked?
    Last edited by MSE Matt; 13-09-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 3
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 15th Sep 16, 12:23 PM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 10,268 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Wish companies get rid of mothers maiden name as a security question as: all your siblings have the same mmn, if your mother has/had children, they share the same mmn. Now with mothers not getting married, the chances are the kids have the same surname as their mother, so the answer is their surname. Then anyone could access the birth indexes and can find your mmn if they know the birth quarter you when you were born, or the next one if you were born on the last few days of March, June, Sept and Dec.
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 15th Sep 16, 10:06 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    I was quite late getting into all of this computer malarkey. My younger sister on the other hand was the equivalent of that Gates fellow.

She told me how easy it was to 'get into any of my accounts' as she guessed all of my passwords!

I've since made up a whole different existence, with passwords to suit!

The moral of the story...don't trust your family! They know EVERYTHING!
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 17th Sep 16, 2:09 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    cjdavies
    In a way I'm happy for them, I had to ring my bank once as I was notified of an unusual tranasaction on my credit card. They asked if I had rang 15 mins ago I said no and they said someone phoned pretending to be me but failed the security questions!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Sep 16, 2:33 PM
    • 21,482 Posts
    • 75,429 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I was quite late getting into all of this computer malarkey. My younger sister on the other hand was the equivalent of that Gates fellow.

She told me how easy it was to 'get into any of my accounts' as she guessed all of my passwords!

I've since made up a whole different existence, with passwords to suit!

The moral of the story...don't trust your family! They know EVERYTHING!
    Originally posted by Nomoonatall
    I would defy anyone to guess mine. Not only do I have a different one for every single little account anywhere, but they are all seriously weird!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 17th Sep 16, 2:39 PM
    • 3,046 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    GingerBob
    I would defy anyone to guess mine. Not only do I have a different one for every single little account anywhere, but they are all seriously weird!
    Originally posted by Pyxis

Do you forget them a lot, or have you got a sheet with them all written down?

I try to have the same password for everything, but it's not easy with some of the more, shall we say, over the top password rules that some organisations have.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Sep 16, 5:18 PM
    • 21,482 Posts
    • 75,429 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Do you forget them a lot, or have you got a sheet with them all written down?

I try to have the same password for everything, but it's not easy with some of the more, shall we say, over the top password rules that some organisations have.
    Originally posted by GingerBob
    Apart from two or three which I use all the time, (the MSE one being one!), can't remember any of them, so yes, I have to write them down!

The very sensitive ones, like shopping ones, are written in code, though! So, all in all, I really, really have to want to get on those sites, 'cos it's such a pain! Stops me spending lots, though!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 23rd Sep 16, 3:58 PM
    • 24,279 Posts
    • 29,934 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    i use variations on the same one for most unimportant sites but have totally different ones for anything important like banks. I do have to write down the usernames on some though, don't write down the banks ones in the same place.
    Millies due back at Christmas.
    • Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 30th Sep 16, 8:44 PM
    • 19,133 Posts
    • 58,105 Thanks
    Oblivion
    I only have to remember one password and that is the one that gets me into Access Manager Pro which stores all my other passwords and security questions in double encrypted form.

http://www.accessmanager.co.uk/
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 10th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
    • Timpu
    • By Timpu 2nd Oct 16, 1:51 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Timpu
    I'm really pleased voice recognition has been implemented by some banks and hope other companies follow soon.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 2nd Oct 16, 4:41 PM
    • 21,482 Posts
    • 75,429 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I only have to remember one password and that is the one that gets me into Access Manager Pro which stores all my other passwords and security questions in double encrypted form.

Originally posted by Oblivion
    I'm not convinced that some super-clever hacker wouldn't be able to get into it.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 2nd Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 21,482 Posts
    • 75,429 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I'm really pleased voice recognition has been implemented by some banks and hope other companies follow soon.
    Originally posted by Timpu
    What would happen if you have a cold, or a chesty cough, or.......laryngitis?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Timpu
    • By Timpu 2nd Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Timpu
    A cold/cough is supposed to make no difference, laryngitis I can imagine making things tricky but then, would you be calling up or defer to online stuff? I did question the back up if the recognition failed and was told the security questions would be used if needed.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 2nd Oct 16, 7:36 PM
    • 21,482 Posts
    • 75,429 Thanks
    Pyxis
    A cold/cough is supposed to make no difference, laryngitis I can imagine making things tricky but then, would you be calling up or defer to online stuff? I did question the back up if the recognition failed and was told the security questions would be used if needed.
    Originally posted by Timpu
    Ok, so what about someone like Jon Culshaw who could impersonate you?
    I'm only half-joking!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 2nd Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    Sleazy

Originally posted by Oblivion
    Unfortunately this assumes that whenever you need a password you have access to the program.....
    *** IF IN DOUBT, BLAME BREXIT ***
    • Peter333
    • By Peter333 3rd Oct 16, 3:53 PM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 5,405 Thanks
    Peter333
    As the threat against financial security grows ever more complex, so do the details that banks use to keep our money safe and out of reach of the scammers.

Financial institutions are pushed into delving further into our personal lives (disclosing detail we would never dream of sharing online, maybe that's the point) in order to safeguard against data thieves and assure it's genuinely you who is accessing the account.

But are security questions becoming TOO intimate?

We already know that banks require details such as your mother's maiden name, the name of your first pet, where your parents met, What's the name of your favorite actor etc but asking 'Who was your first kiss?' and 'Who was your school crush? Questions that could potentially ignite highly emotional reactions from loved ones or worse.

More recently we've discovered some really odd questions from institutions all over the world...

Where is your great grandmother buried?
    What was your hair color as a child?
    What is the license plate (registration) of your dad’s first car?
    What sports team do you love to see lose?
    What is the name of your least favorite relative?

So we ask you; What's the craziest security questions you’ve been asked?
    Originally posted by MSE Jessica
    Never had these questions in my life!

'Where was your first holiday?' is one my service provider asks....

And several other people/institutions ask me for a password when I sign up, and if I pick say cucumberlettuce333, they say, give us the first, third, and fifth characters, so it would be c, c, and m. Or the first, second, and seventeenth, so it would be c, u, and 3.

First kiss? School crush? I can't even remember! Dad's first car reg? How the hell should I know that?

Some people may not even know where their gran is buried either?

Are these for real?

Surely not.

As an aside, why has the original post got so many American spellings? Are you American Jessica?
    As of 25th October 2016, I am not participating in this site. Until MSE sorts out the issue with insidious trouble-makers, it's no longer a place I wish to be. I can't be bothered with the constant battle with trolls.

MSE is not a nice place to be at the moment, and hasn't been for a while now. So I'm outta here for the foreseeable future.
    • skintmostofthetime
    • By skintmostofthetime 6th Oct 16, 6:28 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    skintmostofthetime
    Being adopted has its uses ... no one can find it my actual birth surname so Can use that or birth mums married name ... hope that makes sense!!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 21st Oct 16, 8:59 PM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 10,268 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I would not ring a call centre with laryngitis. I have worked in them and one day my voice packed up about an hour before my shift ended. The last 2 customers couldn't understand or hear me.
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • Mas888
    • By Mas888 18th Nov 16, 3:02 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mas888
    Yes, some of the question they asked I find it unacceptable
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 18th Nov 16, 6:53 AM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 5,128 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Like a lot of people I have many different passwords and security questions. Unfortunately my memory is not as sharp as it used to be and I have difficulty, on occasions, recalling facts. It makes these security questions a nightmare.

What will happen when the population lives longer, everyone uses computers and more memories fade. We are told not to write the answers down but for a lot of people this will make access impossible. I struggled recently with having to answer security questions that I don't recall being asked and having to guess the answers and, surprise, I got them all wrong. Worst one was "what was your favourite pet". I have had many cats over the years and they were probably all favourite at the time
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 18th Nov 16, 8:19 AM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    comeandgo
    When my daughter was travelling abroad there was a family emergency and I needed to access one of her internet accounts. Knowing her mother's maiden name made it very easy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,433Posts Today

7,831Users online

Martin's Twitter