Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 1,877Posts
    • 15,731Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    OS ways and Poor Health
    • 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    OS ways and Poor Health 11th Sep 16 at 9:56 PM
    Earlier today I joined a very good new thread on getting back to old style ways . I managed to take it in another direction by mentioning how ill health can impact on doing everything the old style way . As this was off topic to the original post . I will be posting on the original topic but without going off in another direction
    This seems to happen a lot of the time across the threads as many old stylers do have to cope with this problem .
    Many moons ago PREPARE AT HOME began a lengthy thread on being os with health problems and there have been a couple of other threads over the years .
    I am wondering if the time is right for another thread on the subject with the proviso it is not offering advice on medical subjects as that is for the professionals . We all do many things day to day to minimise fatigue and pain and though they are little things we have developed them to cope and others may not be aware of how helpful the little changes can be .
    I would be interested to see if others would like to join such a thread . I am not very techie as you will gather from my rambling post and have never started a thread before - I hope this posts !
    polly
Page 60
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 7th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 107,707 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I hope it levels out for you. I couldn't handle taking amitryptiline either.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    They gave me Amy-on-a-trampoline for depression many years ago - suffice it to say I was so far away with the Faeries that I was a danger to myself and others!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 7th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    They gave me Amy-on-a-trampoline for depression many years ago - suffice it to say I was so far away with the Faeries that I was a danger to myself and others!
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Lol at the alternative name It totally floored me when I tried it 😣
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 7th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 28,185 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Hi everyone, hugs and spoons as needed/wanted. Cranky I hope that your leg begins to heal well now that you have the correct dressings.

Mum is managing well so not needed for me to stay, I am wiped out though and pain and inflammation is back, I really think that the adrenaline must have kept it at bay when I was away.

OH and I are each sorting out our own suppers today so am headed off to change into pjs and go to bed for an hour or so. More blood tests arranged for Monday they want to repeat the tests ran 5 weeks ago to see if any changes and are now also mentioning the possibility of hyperparathyroidism I am resigned to whatever turns up and will make the best of it whatever they throw at me Glass half full personality thank goodness
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 7th Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 9,706 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    maddiemay - hope you are feeling stronger soon! The adrenaline is fine when it soars and gets you through a rough/busy time...but BOY does it hit you afterwards!

The 'general health check went fine...weight loss was noticed and praised...and my BP was well within the 'normal' range ...Cholesterol was just on 5, so acceptable, although the 'good' cholesterol good be a bit higher.....All in all my results were in the 'green' category...and, even though I am still in the 'obese' category (but only just!) I am in a very low risk category for heart attack, diabetes or stroke...(which would be more comforting if it wasn't for the fact that at least one of my other conditions was ALWAYS more likely to shorten my life than any of the things this check-up was looking at!....still good to know I am keeping myself as healthy as possible against the odds!)

Two more appointments at the GP surgery to get through...one is my yearly checkup - when I also get the flu jab....the other is the one for my non-repeat-prescription meds...I am on clonazepam - not regular, just as-and-when-needed...it helps with anxiety attacks, and is one of the best meds I have tried for tics (I have physical and verbal tics ...part of my Autism)...my GP is not happy with putting it on my repeat scrip, so it means an appointment every time I need a new pack.

Strictly is on tonight...so I will settle down for a couple of hours of movie tunes and dancing...lovely!
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 7th Oct 17, 5:54 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    Yay , i'm watching Strictly too PrincessZ.Love it, apart from the pathetic jokes

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 10th Oct 17, 8:25 AM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 9,706 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Morning all...

It is a VERY chilly morning here!

The GP has put my Clonazepam on repeat!...After ten years (!!!) he has finally decided that I am clearly able to manage this myself and no longer need to see him for every renewal!...We've been gently asking for this for years now, it is going to make things so much easier!

On a less health-positive note, I have been aching so much for the last couple of days....which is probably linked to the cold and damp outside. I have put the heating on...and I use my wheat bags and new heated-pad (which is BLIIIIIIIISSFUL!) ...and I have Supersalve crème..so am winning the battle....

I am hoping to manage a short trip out this morning - I want to take some loose change (including 'old' pound coins) to the bank...and will stop by the fruit/veg stall and see if I can pick up some bargain veggies for soup. (There is very little as comforting as a bowl of home made soup on a cold Autumn day!)

Hope everyone is staying warm...and as healthy as life allows!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Oct 17, 11:20 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,347 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Very similar to how I'm feeling Prinzessilein.

I went out yesterday and overdid it and really felt it last night when I was trying to sleep. I think it was because it was a damp day as well. I felt like I was coming down with the flu. I feel a bit better today as I slept in until 10am.

I was going to do exactly the same thing as you and go and change my old £1 coins at the greengrocer. I want to buy more lemons and ginger.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 107,707 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I've been keeping a sharp lookout for "old" pound coins since the end of September and getting rid of them as soon as they come into our possession; the last one we had was spent in @rgos the other day; I paid for our purchase in L0vetoshop vouchers I'd got for doing surveys, plus some N£ctar points, and made up the remaining little bit with cash.
    It's flippin' cold here in Concrete Cow Country today; I've been out in the garden throwing a ball for our current two canine guests, and I am f-f-freezing!

Prinzess great news that they've put your medication on a repeat; it must have been a total pain having to go and see the doctor every single time you needed more!
    LameWolf
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 10th Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 9,706 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    LameWolf: It really WAS a pain...my GP has a 3 week waiting list to get an appointment, and as the medication was marked as 'only to be prescribed by named GP' then I couldn't ask any other GP in the practice to write a scrip for me....bus to the GP is 20 minutes walk away (although coming back the bus stops almost outside my door!) - I usually use my PiP mobility for a taxi....and even more irritating was the fact that my repeat prescription list runs into double figures , all of which I can get by just phoning the chemist, it was just this one item that I had to make visits to the GP for.

Trip for veggies was successful...I have picked up some nice bargains...and will now be able to make two soups... veg and barley...and pea soup.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Oct 17, 7:52 PM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 107,707 Thanks
    LameWolf
    How's everybody, then?

I have another cold, had a whole load of hair fall out when Mr LW washed it for me this morning, and am currently dogless; but otherwise all is fine and dandy in the Wolf's Lair. *wry grin*.

Spent £4 at the F&V market yesterday and for that I got two pineapples, a huge bowl of mushrooms, another huge bowl of cherry tomatoes and three cucumbers. Not bad, methinks.
    LameWolf
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Oct 17, 8:00 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Just a quick post from me to say I'm sort of back in the land of the living .
    DD has been very ill , she got Norovirus and has been in a pretty bad way for nearly two weeks . Thankfully today she seems to be on the mend . We had to cancel the long awaited appointment with the main consultant and that is due to happen at the end of November . This weeks Drs appt had to be rearranged for next week .
    I was lucky not to get the Norovirus but fate sent a bad bout of Bronchitis instead . Both of us have been in Fibro flares but hopefully things are calming down .
    Laptop joined in with being poorly too so has been with the family techie . Brought it home today . They've reinstalled everything and updated all anti malware as I had an email from GMail over a week ago to tell me they'd stopped someone in London using my password to access my account .
    Chrome has been installed but I'm posting this on Firefox as I'll need to change my email login with mse and need to lose the fibro fog before I try that !

I haven't caught up but hope to catch up tomorrow after a nights sleep - fingers crossed - Hoping all are plodding on there are so many viruses and bugs around at the moment and the weather is very changeable too so wishing you all well .
    Take care
    polly x
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 107,707 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Ye gods and little fishes, Polly you really have had it all at once! I'll have a quiet word with Loki to leave you alone for a bit, shall I?
    LameWolf
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Oct 17, 10:07 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    Omg POLLY , you've really been through the mill hun! Hope you both feel better asap 😊
    You'll be pleased to know that I had my bloods done, but had a shock as i'm severely anaemic , even though i'm on iron tabs.Turns out i'm not absorbing them due to pernicious anaemia, so might need transfusions
    Thyroid is borderline, but i'm paying privately for a full thyroid panel.Long story why, but I will update .... 🙄
    LW my hair is also really falling out, maybe your iron is low too ? 😣
    Feel like i've moaned too much, so healing huggles to all xxxx

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,347 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Sorry to read about you and your daughter Polly.xx

I'm okay at the mo, still having the therapy each week and just taking each day at a time health-wise.

I didn't take a Lyrica last night and am paying for it today as I have a really stiff neck and shoulder on my left side. I just used some deep heat cream on it, wow, that stuff is hot, haha. I had forgotten.

I have the GP next week and was going to ask to be referred to a chiropodist or a podiatrist. I have noticed a bump on my right heel and I'm not sure what it is.

Thyroid is borderline, but i'm paying privately for a full thyroid panel.Long story why, but I will update .... 🙄
    Originally posted by candygirl
    I was thinking of doing that too.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 14th Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 27,434 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Sorry to hear that you and your daughter have been so ill Polly. Likewise LW - I hope you feel better soon.

Candy that's a lot to take in. Will you need vitamin B injections too or do you already have those?
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Oct 17, 3:24 PM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 107,707 Thanks
    LameWolf
    LW my hair is also really falling out, maybe your iron is low too ? 😣
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Possibly - though I do take a daily iron tablet. But hair loss is also a known feature of lupus. I suppose I should take steps to get it checked, but I just don't have the energy to do so right now.

Ooh, Candygirl transfusions sounds a bit scary.

Currently saving what little energy I have for my next guest, who is due in on 21st October; she's a Golder Retriever, almost 16 years old (16th birthday will be 1st November).
    LameWolf
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 14th Oct 17, 4:20 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 9,706 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Polly You HAVE been through a whole heap! Hope you are feeling better now!

Wednesday:...Mum has had a strange lump on her right heel ! (At the back, just above the heel to be more precise)...She was sent by the GP to the Sarcoma Clinic...they then referred her for an ultrasound which she had yesterday - just waiting for the results.....hope you get yours sorted soon.

I'm another with hair-loss...in my case they have ruled out any medical issues, and ascribed it to 'female pattern baldness' ...and I need to just accept it....and look into getting a wig or two. (I have been thinking of this for a year or two)
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,347 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Wednesday:...Mum has had a strange lump on her right heel ! (At the back, just above the heel to be more precise)...She was sent by the GP to the Sarcoma Clinic...they then referred her for an ultrasound which she had yesterday - just waiting for the results.....hope you get yours sorted soon.
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    I hope she is okay.xx

Eek. I will ask about my heel next week.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 14th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    Possibly - though I do take a daily iron tablet. But hair loss is also a known feature of lupus. I suppose I should take steps to get it checked, but I just don't have the energy to do so right now.

Ooh, Candygirl transfusions sounds a bit scary.

Currently saving what little energy I have for my next guest, who is due in on 21st October; she's a Golder Retriever, almost 16 years old (16th birthday will be 1st November).
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Soz I meant infusion, not sure what it entails yet 😁
    Hope your Mum's results are ok PZ xx

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 16th Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Catch up time as it seems quiet on here at the moment . I seem to finally have a few operational brain cells now so we'll see how it goes .
    First thank you to everyone for the good wishes . It sounds as though a lot here have been struggling recently .
    LW I hope you feel a bit better now . Do you take a disease modifying drug? DD noticed a steady increase in hair loss after starting the MTX.
    I appreciate Loki being directed elsewhere . We had enough mischief and mayhem in the last few weeks and I can think of many in real life who deserve Loki to pay a visit.

maddie How is the pain and inflammation now? I imagine a number here have been feeling the ups and downs in the weather recently.

Prinzess you seem to have sorted out a lot of things , good news on that med being put on repeat . It's worth trying isn't it?
    Wishing your mums results to come through quickly and with no need for concern .

Thank goodness you went for the bloods candy they should sort you out soon . I'll be interested in your feedback when you've had the full thyroid screening . For over thirty years I've had negative results via the NHS testing although my previous Dr and the present one are convinced I have a problem . That would be something I would pay for .

How is Cranky now? Also Wednesday , AOT, and Curly Top.

Names are escaping me now so apologies to those I've missed .

The weather is weird here today on the NW coast . I had to keep the lights on until 8.30 this morning , We had rain , then the murky yellow sahara sky until a couple of hours ago followed by light cloud and sun . More cloud is building and the wind is getting stronger now . It's very hot and humid now so not sure if Ophelia will hit us or not . Spoke too soon I can now hear the wind through the double glazing which is rare .
    Hope you all stay safe and it skirts around your area .
    polly
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,655Posts Today

7,325Users online

Martin's Twitter