Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 1,851Posts
    • 15,420Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    OS ways and Poor Health
    • 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    OS ways and Poor Health 11th Sep 16 at 9:56 PM
    Earlier today I joined a very good new thread on getting back to old style ways . I managed to take it in another direction by mentioning how ill health can impact on doing everything the old style way . As this was off topic to the original post . I will be posting on the original topic but without going off in another direction
    This seems to happen a lot of the time across the threads as many old stylers do have to cope with this problem .
    Many moons ago PREPARE AT HOME began a lengthy thread on being os with health problems and there have been a couple of other threads over the years .
    I am wondering if the time is right for another thread on the subject with the proviso it is not offering advice on medical subjects as that is for the professionals . We all do many things day to day to minimise fatigue and pain and though they are little things we have developed them to cope and others may not be aware of how helpful the little changes can be .
    I would be interested to see if others would like to join such a thread . I am not very techie as you will gather from my rambling post and have never started a thread before - I hope this posts !
    polly
Page 49
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 13th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 9,513 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Morning all....hope everyone is safe and well!

The storm has hit us here...heavy rain last night gave way to gales overnight...I awoke to the sound of various items being blown down the road....we have warnings for the winds in place...coastal area here, and expected to see some disruption/damage.

I don't usually get the winter duvet out until mid-October...but am seriously thinking about getting it sooner...I am decidedly chilly!...stupid really, as it barely a week or o ago that it was far too warm for me!

Wednesday
    ....enjoy your meal out!....I rarely go out, but am planning a once-a-year meet-up with a couple of internet friends....we are going to do a 'posh' afternoon tea in November....I used to love going to London - for the theatre, especially musicals, but the crowds would be too much for me theses days.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 15,420 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Good morning all . A noisy night with things crashing around but no damage other than some smashed terracotta pots .
    I spent most of the night reading in bed , the power was out for a short time but although it's still wet and windy it is a lot quieter out there now .
    Cranky You're right about the sinuses . I've also had chronic bronchitis since childhood and Drs have said it's endemic to the area I lived in as a child . I generally do the layering up and wore my first thick jumper on Monday when we went to the Drs . It's still cold here today so I've got the heating on low. That's a good amount of rhubarb and good thinking to bring the toms inside to ripen .
    Hope you enjoy your day and have some laughs and good chat .xx

Wednesday You're sounding so much positive and cheerful . I imagine if your Dr is good he will welcome your proactive ideas . I can't remember offhand if dds Lyrica was introduced slowly or not . He may not agree to increasing it so early but then again he might , worth discussing anyway . I do understand how a social life can drop off the radar so I wish you a wonderful meal in London . I think now you have some control and understanding of what works best for you , you will feel much better .

Prinzess You did make me laugh with the brain cells going walkabout . I do the oddest things sometimes . I put things in the daftest places and it can take days or weeks to locate them again . It took me days to find the missing Arthritis gloves .
    You must really be looking forward to your posh afternoon tea and I hope you enjoy every moment .
    Re duvets . I decided last night that I'll change the cotton sheets to flannelette today . I just need to find the energy to do it .
    We have the all seasons duvets here which give three choices of weight . I have the 9 tog on at the moment with cotton sheets so usually go up to flannelette sheets before combining the two duvets if needed in winter .

I'm still wondering where all the posts go . Maybe mse has a version of the dead letter office as the Post Office used to call it .

Btw Candy Typo in my post last night , should have said can't really rest

polly x
    • ArthriticOldThing
    • By ArthriticOldThing 13th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 509 Posts
    • 7,245 Thanks
    ArthriticOldThing
    Morning everyone.
    Can't say 'good morning' as for me its not. I live on first floor of large block of flats and rely on the lift to get out and about. Sadly the lift call button on this floor has been out of operation for more than a month although I have reported at least 4 times. It means I'm either trapped in the flat or risk life and limb trying to manage concrete stairs with a wheeled walker. Yesterday I was promised someone would be out that same day but they were not as expected. Been on phone again first thing this morning and been promised will be repaired today. I won't hold my breath.
    Sorry for whinge!!!
    Have been reading with interest on this thread and 'preparing for winter' about everyone feeling chill at night and adding bedding layers. Think must be something wrong with me as I'm still just sleeping with light cotton sheet and am sometimes too warm with that!. Am I just odd?
    Hope everyone is as well as can manage to be today.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 15,420 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    AOT That isn't a whinge it's a pretty important thing to you . I know the lift being out of use has happened a lot and it isn't good to feel confined to base until someone finally arrives to sort it out .
    It isn't acceptable for them to delay fixing it . With your mobility problems it should be a priority from the point of health and safety and if they don't turn up I would point that fact out to them .
    My daughter has what she calls a broken temperature gauge and gets very hot when all around are shivering . Sometimes she isn't dressed for the weather due to that and as she's asthmatic I have to keep reminding her that although she feels hot she's breathing in cold air .
    I hope the lift is back in action soon .
    Take care
    polly x
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I rarely go out, but am planning a once-a-year meet-up with a couple of internet friends....we are going to do a 'posh' afternoon tea in November....
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    Wow, that sounds like fun. I've always wanted to do that.

Wednesday You're sounding so much positive and cheerful . I imagine if your Dr is good he will welcome your proactive ideas . I can't remember offhand if dds Lyrica was introduced slowly or not . He may not agree to increasing it so early but then again he might , worth discussing anyway . I do understand how a social life can drop off the radar so I wish you a wonderful meal in London . I think now you have some control and understanding of what works best for you , you will feel much better .
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    Thanks.xx I've only started off on 50mg so hopefully he will give me more. The pain is often worse first thing in the morning. It's my heels lately for some reason.

Morning everyone.
    Can't say 'good morning' as for me its not. I live on first floor of large block of flats and rely on the lift to get out and about. Sadly the lift call button on this floor has been out of operation for more than a month although I have reported at least 4 times. It means I'm either trapped in the flat or risk life and limb trying to manage concrete stairs with a wheeled walker. Yesterday I was promised someone would be out that same day but they were not as expected. Been on phone again first thing this morning and been promised will be repaired today. I won't hold my breath.
    Sorry for whinge!!!
    Originally posted by ArthriticOldThing
    That is appalling. Have you thought about telling your local MP? Sometimes they get involved with issues like that.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 15,420 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Wednesday This may sound a bit daft but have you looked at your feet recently? A few years ago we began to experience pain in our feet including the heel . It took us a while but we realised that although we'd always had high insteps our feet were almost flat . Podiatry can provide tailor made inserts to help with that .
    polly x
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 13th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 9,513 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    ArthriticOldThing....you have my full sympathy. I used to live on the 2nd floor of sheltered housing - until November last year.

The lift used to break down with increasing regularity....and this would leave me doubly trapped....I couldn't get down,...and my Mum/carer was unable to come up!

This was a major factor in my looking for a move to a ground-floor flat.

It really is not acceptable to leave people stranded.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 9,919 Posts
    • 106,569 Thanks
    LameWolf
    AOT Keep on complaining, on a daily basis, til that lift is fixed. That is totally out of order, leaving you effectively a prisoner in your own home. I am extremely cross on your behalf.

Wednesday I hope you enjoy your meal out.

I have to admit. I dislike eating out; I get very stressed, and don't enjoy it at all. Today is Mr LW's and my 14th wedding anniversary; I shall be doing something with Qu0rn in white wine sauce and roasted root veggies; and the dog-sitting franchise owner sent me a batch of hand-made chocolate brownies, (she does these as a business, they're extremely professionally made, came beautifully packaged, and are very decadent!!) as a thank-you for taking Daisy in at very short notice, so we shall have some of those for dessert.
    Daisy will have the chicken thigh that her owner has sent along for her dins.

Daisy is being collected by her owner's daughter tomorrow late afternoon, and my next guest, Bluebell, will be here mid-morning on Friday. Candygirl are you reading?.... Bluebell is another Staffie.

Re putting the heating on in September.... s0d the bill, if your health isn't that brilliant, if you're cold, you need to put the heating on to stay warm enough.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 26,033 Posts
    • 105,468 Thanks
    candygirl
    LW , I am all ears Have you had Blue bell before? Her name rings a bell 😁
    Happy Anniversary hun xx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 9,919 Posts
    • 106,569 Thanks
    LameWolf
    LW , I am all ears Have you had Blue bell before? Her name rings a bell 😁
    Happy Anniversary hun xx
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Yes, Bluebell stayed with me in April. I'm quite a distance from her home (about 35 miles I believe) but her owner specifically asked for me again, rather than find someone closer and have to get Bluebell used to a different carer; so that's quite a compliment.
    Last time she came she'd got a flare-up of her conjunctivitis, and I had to put ointment in her eyes twice a day; I suspect it'll be the same again this time.
    LameWolf
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I remembered something else, I wanted to apply for PIP and I need to get my gutters cleaned before autumn hits. The list seems to be getting longer day by day, lol.

I booked the haircut for next Wed and the gutters for next Thurs. The hairdresser comes to my house, thankfully.

I will leave the PIP application until my list becomes a bit shorter as I want to make sure I am filling it out properly.

I'm going out about 10 today as I wanted to drop off a bag to a charity shop and also buy some fresh ginger at the market as I read that ginger tea can help with migraines. Then I'm having my Indian Head Massage. I'm really looking forward to it. I hope it is as relaxing as I remember.

Wednesday This may sound a bit daft but have you looked at your feet recently? A few years ago we began to experience pain in our feet including the heel . It took us a while but we realised that although we'd always had high insteps our feet were almost flat . Podiatry can provide tailor made inserts to help with that .
    polly x
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    I was going to say that was one of the things on my huge to-do list, but I checked and I must have left that one off! Thanks for reminding me. I'm definitely going to see if there is a problem with my feet.

Wednesday I hope you enjoy your meal out.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Thanks.xx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Sep 17, 9:33 AM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 15,420 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Wednesday I buy fresh ginger and crush it and freeze in ice cube trays . It's handy for soups , stews and hot drinks . It also makes a good drink with lemon, honey and hot water if you have a cold .

AOT Any sign of the lift engineer yet ?

polly xx
    • ArthriticOldThing
    • By ArthriticOldThing 14th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 7,245 Thanks
    ArthriticOldThing
    Hooray Hooray! Engineer has been out and lift is fixed. Not that I took his word for it but went and checked and it actually worked. I am so relieved.
    Mind you it took another 2 phone calls and threats to get onto newspapers etc before anything was done.
    I'm absolutely shattered now of course. Talk about no spoons I'm missing shovels!!
    Thanks for all your advice and support.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Sep 17, 12:32 PM
    • 9,919 Posts
    • 106,569 Thanks
    LameWolf
    *Hands AOT a shiny new shovel*
    I'm so pleased - you know what they say, it's the squeaky wheel that gets oiled; you have to be the squeaky wheel to get this sort of thing dealt with, I reckon.
    I hope there's good weather when you feel like going out, now.
    LameWolf
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 14th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 9,513 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Afternoon all.

I am one rather angry little princess today!

I have just discovered the DWP stopped my PiP(Care) payments...and didn't even tell me!....I have only just been awarded it....thankfully it was sorted by a phone call...but honestly, can these people do NOTHING right??!!! (I have posted the details over on Disability...basically the DWP assumed my sheltered housing is a care home)

Anyway, rant over....I am going to make a nice cup of tea and calm down.

Hope everyone is having a good day...and is staying warm!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 15,420 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Prinzess You really couldn't make it up could you? I'm fuming on your behalf . We go to so much trouble dotting the is and crossing the ts and abiding by all the rules and then this happens . It isn't fair to worry and stress people in this way . Drink your tea and be glad you aren't "them" x
    polly
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 14th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    • 2,614 Posts
    • 27,048 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I fell from halfway down the stairs this morning and headbutted the wall at the bottom too. House Troll brought me an ice pack for my head, plaster for my bleeding finger and dressing for my scraped leg in the correct order without any panic so he's in the good books. The washing basket that I was carrying (and subsequently landed in) is beyond redemption - happily I'm not although I am very sore.

AOT Happy to see you have your freedom once more.
    • ArthriticOldThing
    • By ArthriticOldThing 14th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 7,245 Thanks
    ArthriticOldThing
    Oh Prinzessilein, hope you have calmed down and are feeling better now. Can't find the words for DWP (Well I could but they would be censored).
    Ouch Cranky. Rather the basket be wrecked than you. HT did well.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Sep 17, 9:41 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 15,420 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I'm so glad the lift is fixed now AOT . The squeaky wheel expression used by LW is one I use a lot . Polite and firm repetition wears them down and they just want you to leave them alone so they do the necessary .
    Rather late but I hope you enjoyed your Anniversary LW posh brownies and all . Wishing you many more with or without the brownies . Enjoy your Bluebell visit . It seems you made quite an impression on many of your former clients .
    Cranky I hope you've managed a good soak in the bath . I expect you'll feel pretty sore in the morning . A fall like that really shakes you up so try to take things easy .
    Your HT is lovely , you raised him well xx
    I wrote a lot of replies the other day , scribbling them out as I posted . All was fine until my long post went into the ether ! I know there were things i wanted to respond to but I'd obliterated my responses and can't decipher them
    I'll just have to wish everyone a restful night instead .
    polly x
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Sep 17, 8:07 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    The head massage yesterday was nice, except I realised how tense I was when he started, especially around my upper shoulders. I completely misjudged how far the place was to walk to and I feel so shattered today. My bum and thighs are also hurting from sitting in the massage chair yesterday! I think next time I will bring a cushion to sit on.

One good thing is that it does feel like my sinuses seem less blocked today as I think the head massage can help with sinus problems.

Luckily, I don't have much to do today. I have the washing on as I'm replacing the blankets with a duvet so I'm washing the blankets to put away.

I want to make an online grocery delivery for the weekend and I bought a photo album at the CS yesterday so I wanted to put some of my photos in there. That is all I'm doing for today I think.

I'm sipping fresh ginger tea now. I forgot to buy lemons at the market so I had to use some juice I had in the fridge. It's a mixture of lemon, lime and orange juice and it tastes okay in the tea.

I have just discovered the DWP stopped my PiP(Care) payments...and didn't even tell me!....I have only just been awarded it....thankfully it was sorted by a phone call...but honestly, can these people do NOTHING right??!!! (I have posted the details over on Disability...basically the DWP assumed my sheltered housing is a care home)
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    How annoying for you. At least it was sorted out quickly.

I fell from halfway down the stairs this morning and headbutted the wall at the bottom too. House Troll brought me an ice pack for my head, plaster for my bleeding finger and dressing for my scraped leg in the correct order without any panic so he's in the good books. The washing basket that I was carrying (and subsequently landed in) is beyond redemption - happily I'm not although I am very sore.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Ouch, take care.xx

Hooray Hooray! Engineer has been out and lift is fixed. Not that I took his word for it but went and checked and it actually worked. I am so relieved.
    Mind you it took another 2 phone calls and threats to get onto newspapers etc before anything was done.
    Originally posted by ArthriticOldThing
    I'm glad it is fixed now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,099Posts Today

8,635Users online

Martin's Twitter