Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 1,851Posts
    • 15,406Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    OS ways and Poor Health
    • 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    OS ways and Poor Health 11th Sep 16 at 9:56 PM
    Earlier today I joined a very good new thread on getting back to old style ways . I managed to take it in another direction by mentioning how ill health can impact on doing everything the old style way . As this was off topic to the original post . I will be posting on the original topic but without going off in another direction
    This seems to happen a lot of the time across the threads as many old stylers do have to cope with this problem .
    Many moons ago PREPARE AT HOME began a lengthy thread on being os with health problems and there have been a couple of other threads over the years .
    I am wondering if the time is right for another thread on the subject with the proviso it is not offering advice on medical subjects as that is for the professionals . We all do many things day to day to minimise fatigue and pain and though they are little things we have developed them to cope and others may not be aware of how helpful the little changes can be .
    I would be interested to see if others would like to join such a thread . I am not very techie as you will gather from my rambling post and have never started a thread before - I hope this posts !
    polly
Page 48
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 2,631 Posts
    • 17,182 Thanks
    caronc
    Just popping into say hello and offer virtual hugs to anyone that needs one.

I'm tootling along, nothing has changed and suspect I have reached the point where this is as good as it gets so I'm just getting on with it. Will be happier when I know what my pension figures are and I can decide if keeping this house is viable longterm or if it's time to tart it up and flog it (I hope not)!
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 9th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 4,238 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Hi caronc!
    Nice to hear from you - hope you find out about your pension soon and all goes ok with your house too.
    Wednesday That sounds like a good plan - I've been looking into reiki sessions and have a spa day booked for October!
    I'm going to get my slow cooker out and start using it again as it always gets neglected in summer! I've been doin GF and dairy free for nearly a week now and it's not been as hard as I thought, I feel less bloated but that's all at the moment. I get weighed at the hospital every 4 weeks so will be getting weighed on Friday will see if it's made any difference to my weight. I doubt it will have had much chance after 18 days I have also cut all the rubbish out of my diet so no sweets/biscuits/fizzy drinks/crisps etc I don't want any additives in my diet and I'm trying to concentrate on natural foods and drinking lots of water.
    Having an early night again tonight as been busy with the kids going to try and do a meal plan for next week!
    Last edited by Tink_04; 09-09-2017 at 8:23 PM.
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 9th Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    • 26,033 Posts
    • 105,467 Thanks
    candygirl
    Finally got an average night's sleep, with the help of some cream to cure my itchy n burning arms 😣
    Have had a pottering day today, mainly spent cooking, n playing with naughty Bonnie 😁Her fave toy at the mo, is a pair of knotted up tights, despite her overflowing toy box.
    I know I'm due for my B12 jab, as am flagging a bit at the mo
    HUGGLES to all xx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 10th Sep 17, 7:14 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    [QUOTE=LameWolf;73101568]This reminded me - I asked Mr LW the other day why it is that my mouth always tastes like a troll's three-week-old underpants first thing in the morning...../QUOTE]

Mrs LW. ..... As I started to read this, I was thinking oh wow another person with lichen planus in the mouth (something else that I have that is unknown as to why I have it but I do haha) ... and then I read the rest of the sentence. Had a good chuckle about that
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 10th Sep 17, 7:21 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    [QUOTE=Prinzessilein;73102426]I love this thread because I know I can be 'me'...I can have a moan when I am in pain or haven't slept....and can vent at my frustration with the DWP...and can be honest about the fact that we had visitors today and I was thrilled to see them but wished they would go home a full hour before they did!......we are amazing, strong people...and this thread lets us be human too! (And it is so good to have people who have 'been there done that and bought the tee-shirt'!....there's always someone here who knows what we are going through)/QUOTE]

Prinzess. ... never have truer words been spoken. I was having one of my 'I'm fed up feeling like this moments' on Friday. Had a good cry on DH and feel better for it. I think because, like most people on here, you just keep going, irrespective of how pants you feel, until eventually the cup runneth over. Anyway.... feel a lot better and I've had two half decent sleeps....yay for drowsy cough medicine!!! Something I do once/ twice a month to try and get me some rest so I can go forth .....and plod on ..... gave up conquering a while ago

Thank you all for continuing to share your experiences. X
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 9,912 Posts
    • 106,516 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Have had a pottering day today, mainly spent cooking, n playing with naughty Bonnie ��Her fave toy at the mo, is a pair of knotted up tights, despite her overflowing toy box.
    Originally posted by candygirl
    So many dogs are like that; I remember Border Collie Bailey's favourite toy was a tatty old cloth ...er... I'm not sure what it was meant to be, an owl I think. But he brought it with him every time he stayed, and I actually sewed it back together more than once, that's how tatty it was! He had newer toys, but no, it had to be that one! Or he'd pinch his cohort Cassie's toy, just to wind her up.
    Current guest Mia's favourite pastime seems to be running straight at me, full tilt, in the garden, and sidestepping just before she reaches me. Just as well, she'd knock me flying if she cannoned into me, as she's ...guess what... a Staffie!

ETA: Just a random thought that came to me:
    Curlytop:
    Man: "My cup runneth over"
    Wife: "Well, drink it from the saucer!"
    I'll get me coat........
    Last edited by LameWolf; 10-09-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 6,637 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Total duvet day today, I'm going to have a hot bath in a minute, I ran it a few hours ago so I hope it is still hot, lol. Then I'm going back to bed with a mug of cupasoup and my kindle.

Wednesday That sounds like a good plan - I've been looking into reiki sessions and have a spa day booked for October!
    Originally posted by Tink_04
    Oh, that is weird as I was just looking at local reiki healing on my phone in bed this morning. They do it at a place near me that I have been to once before to have acupuncture.

I would love a spa and maybe an overnight hotel break. I hinted (or told) my husband that would make a very nice X-mas present this year!
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 10th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 10,161 Posts
    • 57,149 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning everyone.....hope you are all doing ok.

Right.....I want to share something with you.

I do Hope it's not classed as "medical advice" and I don't get into trouble or that this post gets pulled because I genuinely feel it might just help someone.

Let me get this straight I am not for one moment suggesting you disobey your medical practioners and ditch your prescriptions but I pass this on in good faith as a tip which just might prove beneficial to some of you.

AS some of you might know, because of stomach problems, I cannot take any prescribed meds for Fibro or osteo related problems - not even low dose ibruprofen.

So I have been forced to look elsewhere for pain relief. I rely on various complimentary therapies instead, some more effective than others.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was going to try boswellia.

Well Two weeks in and so far so good. In fact better than good. I can see a marked improvement, musco-skeletal pain is much reduced, less stiffness and better mobility. In fact I think I can cancel my scheduled steroid injection to my knee. Going to wait a week or so before I make a decision on that one just to be sure.

Today I am also going to make up a frankincense body oil for self massage, instead of my usual lavender oil.

Both frankincense and boswelia (frankincense comes from the boswelia plant) are widely used in Ayurvedic medicine and both have been highly prized throughout history.

If you believe in the Christian tradition then you will know that Frankincense was in fact one of the gifts the Magi brought to Bethlehem. So even then it was highly prized, deemed as valuable as gold.

Be warned that Boswellia can cause stomach irritation but so far I have been just fine.....highly unusual for me because as I said I struggle with most ingested medicines.

Anyway I thought I would just pass on my experiences in case anyone was interested in giving it a try. I am taking 800 mg double strength. It does come in lower doses but my nutritionist suggested I go in at a higher dose, with a view to reducing if I experienced any stomach problems.

As I say so far so good.I feel tons better, despite the colder damp weather.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 10th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 15,406 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Good morning everyone .
    I haven't been online for a few days so need to catch up on your posts .

I just want to say a heartfelt thank you to LW for her wise words to me on the 6th Sept . One paragraph has altered my mindset about that time and I have now put it firmly in the past where it belongs . It's history and nothing can change it . I have the knowledge the Psych was struck off a few years after diagnosing almost all youngsters in the area with Aspergers rightly or wrongly .
    "First do no harm" wasn't in his vocabulary .

Regarding the printer ( if you haven't already replaced it ) We've always gone for HP print , scan and copy basic ones here . You may need a more complex one but they have served well .
    Present one is the deskjet bought Jan 2011 which has been a true workhorse . It's been groaning a bit over the past 18 months as it copied , scanned and printed masses of paperwork . I thought the PIP stuff including 2 copies of the completed form would finish it off but it's still going . I just need time to look at the new versions because it is a must have and if this one stops I need a back up .
    It was £40.11 and cheap considering the work it's done .

Will read through later and be back .

polly x
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    • 9,912 Posts
    • 106,516 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Regarding the printer ( if you haven't already replaced it ) We've always gone for HP print , scan and copy basic ones here . You may need a more complex one but they have served well .
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    Thanks for that - my current printer is a HP Deskjet D1560 which must be at least 10 years old; it did sterling work during my time as Regional Coordinator for the Pagan Federation and as Membership Secretary for the local branch of CAMRA; it really doesn't owe anyone anything! I'm thinking to stick with HP, they seem to do the business - doesn't have to be all-singing, all-dancing, just to be able to print in colour so that I can do my calendars, cards and the occasional photo sheet for dog holidays.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 10th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 26,033 Posts
    • 105,467 Thanks
    candygirl
    LW , MIA sounds scrumptious 😁Bonnie is on a bin diving mission at the mo, for an empty camembert wrapper
    LL.thanks for the tip re boswellia.I will have a Google in a mo, as my arthritic knees, n nerve pain n damage in my legs, is really getting me down at the mo 😑
    HUGGLES N HEALING VIBES TO ALL
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 11th Sep 17, 1:52 PM
    • 3,416 Posts
    • 10,493 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    D&G I've just signed in again after reading your post . Do you know if there is a version of your multi cooker that does stews etc? From your really helpful description it sounds good but some brands have a few more options in their range .
    We discussed multi cookers quite a while back . I remember Elona answering a number of questions for me . There's also discussions on Mini Ovens etc . I just wish we had an index like a book . One question you could answer is whether it has a non stick coating as I'm looking for something that doesn't .
    polly x
    Sorry to say that I think it is non stick. It is a breeze to clean.

It would do stews on the slow cook setting easily as I used to make veg stew in my slow cooker.

Yesterday I made bean curry from cheap family recipes though I added carrot and butternut squash. I used the brown rice function for the full hour and a half. Came out perfect. Now I've been banned from the hob by OH as I kept burning myself and other stupid things so the fact I can cook myself a meal I used to do a lot made me beyond happy. Yep I'm that sad lol.
    Still need to try out the dessert function. Can't decide what to make but also worried for my waist line if something comes out just as perfect as everything else so far.

Gluten free; I avoid gluten as I found it caused certain symptoms to become worse. I suffer neuropathic pain and after a lot of research found people with one of my conditions found avoiding it helped. As a vegan dairy is a non issue as that was another to avoid. I've found it to help lessen the symptoms but not cure.
    I eat rice, quinoa, buckwheat, potatoes etc mostly. Yes I do buy certified gluten free oats to make porridge or the like.
    I buy bfree wraps and bread. The bread rarely buy I do love the wraps. I usually buy them when reduced and freeze (last lot bought for 79p, got 6 packs and froze).
    However the thing is I avoid it. If something does sneak in I'm usually okay if it's a small amount and not often but I can't have a portion of wheat pasta or porridge from oats that are 'cross contaminated' as I have porridge most days and my body can't handle the trace build up. I end up with more pain, possibly being sick etc.
    Last edited by Doom_and_Gloom; 11-09-2017 at 3:07 PM.
    28 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • elona
    • By elona 11th Sep 17, 10:02 PM
    • 11,250 Posts
    • 59,960 Thanks
    elona
    LL

I have just ordered Boswellia and will give it a try.

I have lost twelve pounds in the last three weeks and that seems to be helping but hate having to nerve myself to do anything as I know it will be painful.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 6,637 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I went to my GP the other day and she is sending a letter about me to the MH service. I said it wasn't urgent or anything, which I know you are not supposed to say, but I was just trying to be honest, lol.

She gave me a telephone helpline number (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies IAPT) and I called up and have a telephone session booked for next week.

I had to cancel my tooth cleaning as I still have sinusitis and a bit of a cold.

I did book myself an Indian Head Massage later this week. I used to get body massages regularly about 10 years ago, but I found the massage too hard so I stopped. I think now looking back that it was a sign of fibro, feeling tender and pain from being touched.

I am okay with my head being touched so Indian Head Massage is okay though so I thought I would treat myself. He does reflexology as well so I was going to ask him about that too. I hope the treatments might help with my fibro symptoms and migraines.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 15,406 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hello everyone . I'm hoping to get this typed before Storm Aileen arrives . It was really cold here last night and the hot water bottle wasn't enough so I did a bad mse thing and put the heating on in September The wind is really getting up now and it's become suddenly humid so I think the met office may be right with their warning for here . The heating is now off so we'll see how things go .
    We had dds 2 weekly catch up at the Drs on Friday and sortrd lots of things for the very busy next few weeks .
    He's brought her next appt forward from next Friday to next Tuesday and will do a steroid injection in the shoulder to help ease the pain of the Barbotage which the hospital will do three days later . He's so good , she's due her flu injection a few hours later with the nurse so he has said he'll do that in the morning too.
    Yesterday morning I was phoning when the surgery opened as dd had developed another infection over the weekend and couldn't sleep or eat . She was due to get her bloods done later in the morning so when we arrived he'd printed a prescription for an AB . He's like the Duracell Bunny ! Luckily the small pharmacy nearby had it in stock so I didn't have to go to her registered pharmacy in the town .
    I'm feeling a bit exhausted at the moment as I've been battening down the hatches on and off through the day to try to make sure nothing can fly if the predicted weather arrives . Luckily I'm well used to that as we do get strong winds in this location .
    Well I'm going to attempt to reply to posts so if i suddenly go offline I'll wish all a peaceful and hopefully restful night .
    polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 15,406 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    First of all it's really interesting to read of all the different ways of coping you're all exploring . There isn't a one size fits all way of doing things and we each know what helps and what doesn't . I'm a life long fan of aromatherapy and natural herbs and oils to combat my reactions to chemical products . Likewise I've found plastics and non stick coatings aren't for me . Thank you D&G for letting me know about the Multi Cooker coating .
    I hope you're back safe and sound from Wales maddie and had some rest and not too much rain .
    You sound a bit down candy , knees can literally be such a pain . I've had OA in mine for many years so I know your pain . They're joints you can really rest as they carry us around . I tend to cover mine in pain relieving gel which does help a little .
    Wednesday you sound like a whirling dervish !!! you've really gone for getting things sorted . You seem to have a good health trust which makes such a difference . Do you have chronic sinusitis? I've had it as long as I can remember and nothing seems to ease it much . I laughed at your account of the dustmen I can just picture their faces - go you ! i was telling dd about you feeling better with the Lyrica and she agreed it is remarkable if it's suited to you .
    I need to stop for a drink so will finish replying shortly .
    polly
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 12th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 27,883 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Pollyanna and all readers/posters here's hoping that we all manage to stay safe and without property damage during the next few hours.

We travelled home from N Wales this morning, having stayed an extra night as the forecast was too un-nerving to be towing a caravan. The wind this morning was less than forecast so we made it safely home. We had 3.1/2 good days, but the other couple were a bit grim, snug, warm and plenty of nice food though.

I have a nasty head cold which I have generously shared with OH, so I am not too popular there I need to buckle down and read up on the proposed RA meds and arrange to see lovely GP, she only works 1 day a week now so had better log on it the morning and see how long I have to wait for an appointment with her. Follow up appt with consultant has come through for end of November.

Take care everyone.
    MM
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Sep 17, 11:06 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 15,406 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I've just lost a huge post into the ether so will fume quietly and hope to be back tomorrow .
    Take care all Storm Aileen is beginning to hit the coast here .
    polly x
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    • 2,614 Posts
    • 27,048 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Polly if this doesn't sound too mad I think the sinusitus is due to the general area on the north west coast. Whatever the conditions here, I have nearly permanent sinus pain and I know a good few people who are the same. The only time it vanishes is on our weeks holiday in Cumbria which is usually spent in the middle of a forest (Center Parcs).

I'm a bit achy across the shoulders today and I've been putting the heating on for an hour the last couple of mornings. It seems to keep the house cosy for the rest of the day. I'm on the "trying to lose weight" thing again as I know that eating better will make me feel better and losing weight will help my joints. I picked 5.5lbs of rhubarb from the garden yesterday so some will go in the freezer and some will be shared with friends. I also brought the slightly ripe tomatoes in last night to save them from the storm. They can ripen on the windowsill.

Onwards and upwards huh? Take care everyone.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Sep 17, 8:25 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 6,637 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Wednesday you sound like a whirling dervish !!! you've really gone for getting things sorted . You seem to have a good health trust which makes such a difference . Do you have chronic sinusitis? I've had it as long as I can remember and nothing seems to ease it much . I laughed at your account of the dustmen I can just picture their faces - go you ! i was telling dd about you feeling better with the Lyrica and she agreed it is remarkable if it's suited to you .
    I do seem to get sinusitis quite a lot, I usually only use a nasal spray and tablets, but I took antibiotics very recently. I think it was only about a month ago now and I have it again.

The Lyrica is really good, I feel a lot less pain being on it. I'm going to ask my GP for more so I can take it twice a day instead of just at night. I thought my GP appointment was this week but it's on Monday next week. I want to ask him about the sleep clinic too and if I can have some migraine meds to keep at home for the next time I get one. He must dread me going there as I always have a list of things to ask him about. It's only been this year though really, as before I hardly ever had to go to the doctor!

I do feel like I have a burst of energy at the moment. I'm not sure if it is the medication or just the time of year. September always reminds me of going back to school and being organised, lol. I have a huge list of things I want/need to do taped to my wardrobe next to the mirror and I'm crossing them off as I do them.

Next week is the GP appointment, the telephone appointment with the MH service, getting a haircut and I'm actually going out for a meal in London. I have been a hermit since my husband was diagnosed with cancer and the last time I went out socially was the end of 2013!!!

I will rest in bed before I go out and get a taxi for the last part of the way home to make it easier for me. I'm looking forward to it.

My husband goes back to work next week as well from being off sick. It will be nice to have some peace and quiet at home.
    Last edited by Wednesday2000; 13-09-2017 at 8:29 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

6,572Users online

Martin's Twitter