Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 1,520Posts
    • 12,429Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    OS ways and Poor Health
    • 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    OS ways and Poor Health 11th Sep 16 at 9:56 PM
    Earlier today I joined a very good new thread on getting back to old style ways . I managed to take it in another direction by mentioning how ill health can impact on doing everything the old style way . As this was off topic to the original post . I will be posting on the original topic but without going off in another direction
    This seems to happen a lot of the time across the threads as many old stylers do have to cope with this problem .
    Many moons ago PREPARE AT HOME began a lengthy thread on being os with health problems and there have been a couple of other threads over the years .
    I am wondering if the time is right for another thread on the subject with the proviso it is not offering advice on medical subjects as that is for the professionals . We all do many things day to day to minimise fatigue and pain and though they are little things we have developed them to cope and others may not be aware of how helpful the little changes can be .
    I would be interested to see if others would like to join such a thread . I am not very techie as you will gather from my rambling post and have never started a thread before - I hope this posts !
    polly
Page 30
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 9,546 Posts
    • 103,170 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I cried because although it doesn't say disabled on the pass, it's looking at something in black and white that reminds me of the position I now find myself in and I hanker back for the old fit version of me that used to do crazy things like, wave hubby off for long distance work for the day, only for him to come back and find the living room painted a different colour etc.
    Originally posted by CurlyTop
    Awww, sweetie, I know exactly how you feel regarding this. I bet loads on this thread will empathise, too. It's like grieving for a "you" that no longer exists, isn't it? (((HUG)))

I want to be able to again
    • Garden
    • Spring clean the house
    • Go into town on my own
    • Ride a horse (gods, I miss that!)
    • Run with my canine guest
    • Abseil (I did this for charity 15 years ago, off the roof of the John Radcliffe hospital)
    • Ride a bike
    I could go on - the list is endless. Heck, at this point I'd settle for being able to bathe and dress unaided!

I don't know how we come to acceptance, haven't yet figured that one out.
    In the meantime, enjoy the extra dimensions of travel the pass will give you. x
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 9th Mar 17, 2:54 PM
    • 1,873 Posts
    • 8,707 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I really understand the tears at getting a travel pass! It's certainly a life changer when you start to realise you are not going to wake up able to do all the stuff you used to!

I remember the day I first accepted my walking stick was a part of my life....and my first wheeled walker...and my disability pass....the first time I was awarded DLA....and oh boy! the first time someone stood up and let me have the 'disabled' seat on a bus!

I used to enjoy mountain walking...I spent a number of happy holidays in Austria...I had always intended to see the Swiss mountains one day...and really regret that I never got round to more of the UK ones....it still kind of breaks my heart when I look at photos and think 'that's another thing I will never do again'

I used to work full time (more than full time for a while...really stupid hours!)...that's a big part of me that is lost.

I think one of the biggest rips to the heart was the day I accepted I would never have children.

On the other hand...I can remember a time when my health was so much worse than it is now...I came close to not making it through a serious episode a few years ago....that can shift your perspective.

I can't do many things that I used to...but I have learned new skills...including knitting and embroidery.

Of course I still have bad days...I think all of us here do! More often than I like to think of!

But I also get days when I am able to take joy in what I am still able to do....a walk to the park to sit at the cliff edge and see the sea below brings real delight when I can manage it.

One joy of this thread is that we can be honest...we all know what it is like to have the low days....and we don't have to put on a brave face...we know we will get understanding!
    • katkin
    • By katkin 11th Mar 17, 5:02 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    katkin
    I came into this thread to moan about insomnia, I've been up and down all night and will be tired, grumpy and dont feel great about tackling my day ahead.

Then I read your posts here and feel ashamed for complaining about that. I have no idea what it must be like to be so unwell. I have health issues and am at the edge of living a different way to cope with that. I went part time at work nearly a year ago and need to rest a lot. Dealing with medicines and side effects, not being able to do things I did a few years ago and living with pain frustrate me, angers me and I'm embarrassed about being weak.

Pretty pathetic of me as some of you deal with so much more. You are brave and admirable people. An inspiration to old style ways regardless of personal circumstances.

I'm a bit weepy, need to buck up and stop feeling sorry for myself. Just so tired now.. Sorry for the vent. Pot of tea, that will help
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Mar 17, 7:56 AM
    • 13,899 Posts
    • 129,070 Thanks
    mardatha
    We aren't brave - we're just ratty people who love a good moan and a pot of tea. Shove the kettle back on katkin and CAN YOU BAKE?? I could do with a nice fruit scone lol
    It's a long night when you canny sleep and a lonely one. But the day always dawns, sooner or later.
    My moan du jour is that I have run out of black pudding. Life cannot go on until I get some
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 11th Mar 17, 8:22 AM
    • 1,873 Posts
    • 8,707 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Ach mardatha did you HAVE to mention black-pudding? Now all I can think about are the 'scotch eggs' I used to get from a farm shop...they were made with duck eggs and instead of sausage meat they had black pudding ...I could SO eat one of those right now!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Mar 17, 8:42 AM
    • 13,899 Posts
    • 129,070 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm really upset that I haven't got any and canny get any until the RV takes me to a shop... I've never heard of scotch eggs done that way BUT RIGHT NOW I WANT ONE! lol
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 11th Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 25,358 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Ach mardatha did you HAVE to mention black-pudding? Now all I can think about are the 'scotch eggs' I used to get from a farm shop...they were made with duck eggs and instead of sausage meat they had black pudding ...I could SO eat one of those right now!
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    I have those - I bought them yesterday to try. The cat sat next to the cooker shouting that she wanted to try one too

I've had a quiet week sorry - I've been very tired. We had a funeral on Tuesday that whilst it didn't take a lot of physical effort floored me emotionally and extreme tiredness seems to have been the kick back from it.

I've been walking a couple of mornings - my hip has been aching but 15 months ago I couldn't climb the stairs in my own house never mind walk along the prom so it's all good. I won't be walking over the weekend so that'll give everything a chance to rest. I don't want to over do it.

Katkin you're allowed to feel sorry for yourself. Anything that has a big impact on your physical abilities is life changing. What you're not allowed to do is to sit back and give up. Look for the positives and enjoy the things that you can still do - they help you as the other stuff slips away.

Prinzessilein I can taste smells too. Pet hates - people wearing too much perfume (we ate out recently and the lady on the next table was so scenty I couldn't taste my pizza) and those squirty plug in air fresheners.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 13,899 Posts
    • 129,070 Thanks
    mardatha
    That's interesting CRANKY, I found when my ME got bad that I couldn't bear smells either. Those airfresheners now drive me insane and I used to love them. Perfume makes me sneeze apart from one (really expensive one, naturally!) and soap is another problem. I can use Bronnley but it's dear.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 13,896 Thanks
    caronc
    Morning everyone - and bigs to anyone feeling low
    I've managed to have a reasonably productive couple of days and was good and really paced myself
    Still have a fair amount to do before guests arrive tonight but my son will pitch in with the bits I can't manage. I'm looking forward to the tonic of friends round the table, the chat and no doubt a few glasses of wine- so good for the soul
    Hope everyone has a good day x
    April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £89/£120
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 11th Mar 17, 3:27 PM
    • 9,546 Posts
    • 103,170 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Talking of smells - I get phantom smells very often (I think the technical term is "phantosmia" or something like that); very often I could swear I can smell cigar smoke (which I loathe) in our lounge - but it's simply not possible, as neither of us smokes at all, and I actually don't allow smoking in the house. I've also sometimes smelled raw meat (again, absolutely rank to me) and again not possible, as we don't have it in the house. It's weird, and very unpleasant.

Today is the first anniversary of Mr LW retiring from work; we're supposed to be having a little celebration this evening; unfortunately my stomach has chosen today as one of the days it won't keep down anything put in it. Hoping it bucks it's ideas up by tonight.
    LameWolf
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 11th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    Thanks for your kind words when I received my bus pass. You are so right, I do feel like a part of it, is the loss of me but I can still get about, just albeit it slower and provided I build lots of little rests inbetween doing tasks with lots of cups of tea, I'm fine. Well I would be if I didn't have 2 pees per 1 tea!!! Oh the joys of being older

The following day I received a letter telling me it was on its way and that the pass was a temporary pass, issued for 2 years. I felt as though the bubble was burst but then the realistic side of me kicked in that nothing is forever in this world anymore and that all things get reviewed periodically.

Anyway, I used my pass on Thursday and enjoyed my two bus and train rides home.

I'm still in the process of simplifying things at home. In the main, most have been done..... carpet only on the stairs and landing; laminate elsewhere to reduce time on lugging hoover around. I'm loving the slow cooker because I can make more and freeze, to be used on a day when I'm not feeling so grand. I'm clearing through the drawers, starting in the kitchen. Looking to condense stuff down into containers, to make it easier to find.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 17, 5:42 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 13,896 Thanks
    caronc
    Evening everyone,
    Yesterday with my friends and family was lovely and not a late or boozy night but my word I'm a tired teddy today and of course did the usual run the gauntlet of hair washing and bed changing Looks like I'll have a houseful for Easter but everyone will pitch in so it shouldn't be too onerous and I'll prep bits in advance so it's all well-paced
    Not looking forward to Wednesday as it's crunch time work-wise so in reality I'll not be returning to my employer after 33 years which makes me very sad. It's a case now of trying to get ill-health retirement agreed, not easy, and probably unlikely as I've not been through all the treatment options yet so impossible to say if I'll be capable of work again. Financially this is the option but if that fails I'll an ok severance payment - not enough to take me until it is worthwhile to draw down my pension but no immediate money worries. Thankfully I have good equity in my home so selling up and clearing the mortgage should leave enough to buy a smaller place so I've various options if I need them
    April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £89/£120
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 9,546 Posts
    • 103,170 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Not looking forward to Wednesday as it's crunch time work-wise so in reality I'll not be returning to my employer after 33 years which makes me very sad. It's a case now of trying to get ill-health retirement agreed, not easy, and probably unlikely as I've not been through all the treatment options yet so impossible to say if I'll be capable of work again.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I went through this back in 2001, having been signed off sick for the previous two years; they made it as awkward as they possibly could, in the hope that I'd give in and just resign; but I got the union involved, also the on-site doctor backed me up, and I did eventually get medical retirement.
    Best of luck with this; and lots of posi-vibes for Wednesday, I'll be thinking of you.
    LameWolf
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 13,899 Posts
    • 129,070 Thanks
    mardatha
    I walked away from my job in 2005, when life was unbearable and I was turning into the Undead lol
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 13,896 Thanks
    caronc
    I went through this back in 2001, having been signed off sick for the previous two years; they made it as awkward as they possibly could, in the hope that I'd give in and just resign; but I got the union involved, also the on-site doctor backed me up, and I did eventually get medical retirement.
    Best of luck with this; and lots of posi-vibes for Wednesday, I'll be thinking of you.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Thany you - thankfully have a good TU rep
    I walked away from my job in 2005, when life was unbearable and I was turning into the Undead lol
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Poor you - I'd like to go back if I could but because no one can say when that will be my employer wont sustain my absence any longer
    • katkin
    • By katkin 13th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    katkin
    Caronc best of luck for Wednesday, that's going to be tough but maybe once you are through the process it'll be a weight of your mind and help in the long term.

I work for a council and they couldn't be better about my health issues. I'm lucky as my hours are flexible and I can work from home which is a blessing when I'm not my best. Part time hours have meant less money but have made a difference to how I function and get the job done. The extra time I have lets me be more money saving!

I still really enjoy my work and think I need it at the moment for my mental health. I dread the day I can't do it, so feel for you all who have had to give it up. That must be so frustrating and scary.

After feeling sorry for myself all weekend and getting absolutely nothing done I've pulled my socks up a bit today, reaped the benefit of extra rest and am back out of my shell again! I feel like a wobbly bami today, but pleased enough to have had some bounce back.

Looks like I'm needing some tweaks and changes of medicines. Does anyone else hate doing that?
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 13,896 Thanks
    caronc
    Caronc best of luck for Wednesday, that's going to be tough but maybe once you are through the process it'll be a weight of your mind and help in the long term.

I work for a council and they couldn't be better about my health issues. I'm lucky as my hours are flexible and I can work from home which is a blessing when I'm not my best. Part time hours have meant less money but have made a difference to how I function and get the job done. The extra time I have lets me be more money saving!

I still really enjoy my work and think I need it at the moment for my mental health. I dread the day I can't do it, so feel for you all who have had to give it up. That must be so frustrating and scary.

After feeling sorry for myself all weekend and getting absolutely nothing done I've pulled my socks up a bit today, reaped the benefit of extra rest and am back out of my shell again! I feel like a wobbly bami today, but pleased enough to have had some bounce back.

Looks like I'm needing some tweaks and changes of medicines. Does anyone else hate doing that?
    Originally posted by katkin
    Thanks - I'm civil service and while they have been pretty decent in adjustments etc. unfortunately at the moment I'm just not fit enough and don't know when/if I will be so it's been coming for a while- doesn't make it any easier though...........

It's amazing what a bit of recharging your batteries can do Thankfully I'm on a fairly stable med regime now but it was murder at first my poor system didn't know what had hit it........

A bit of a mixed day today. It was lovely and sunny so decided to "air my wheels" just round the block, all was going well until I lost my balance stepping up a kerb and wrenched my back so am hobbling about Thank goodness for my rollator though or else I would have went my length. To avoid the stuffness setting in I decided to start re-arranging my kitchen/consevatory to better meet my needs has been both frustrating and satisfying, Frustrating as it took me most of the afternoon to clear/clean and rearrange a few surfaces as I kept having to rest but satisfying as it will be more me-friendly
    • katkin
    • By katkin 13th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    katkin
    Thanks - I'm civil service and while they have been pretty decent in adjustments etc. unfortunately at the moment I'm just not fit enough and don't know when/if I will be so it's been coming for a while- doesn't make it any easier though...........

It's amazing what a bit of recharging your batteries can do Thankfully I'm on a fairly stable med regime now but it was murder at first my poor system didn't know what had hit it........

A bit of a mixed day today. It was lovely and sunny so decided to "air my wheels" just round the block, all was going well until I lost my balance stepping up a kerb and wrenched my back so am hobbling about Thank goodness for my rollator though or else I would have went my length. To avoid the stuffness setting in I decided to start re-arranging my kitchen/consevatory to better meet my needs has been both frustrating and satisfying, Frustrating as it took me most of the afternoon to clear/clean and rearrange a few surfaces as I kept having to rest but satisfying as it will be more me-friendly
    Originally posted by caronc
    Civil service and LA's must be more sypathetic than a lot of employers, especially in the private sector. But I appreciate they also have policies and processes that we come to the edge with. It's difficult for them doing without experienced, long serving staff - I get that, but it still hurts when your health takes that out of your hands.

I really hope you get a decent deal for all those decades you've dedicated to the service.

Sounds like you've over done it! No wonder, it was lovely earlier X good for you tackling your environment at home. Any tips?

Best wishes caronc x
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Mar 17, 8:15 PM
    • 13,899 Posts
    • 129,070 Thanks
    mardatha
    Don't feel sorry for me lol I hated every minute of work and have never ever wanted to go back. I lie in bed and listen to the rush hour traffic on the A7 every morning and snigger
    I worked nights and all I can remember of that last year was dragging meself around with a horrible headache and collapsing into bed in the morning. Then we got a row from a boss and I snapped, had a real row with her and went on annual leave. Had a nice holiday and then went on the sick for 6 months, until they stopped paying me.
    Few years later my hubby got a new boss and hated her - he was stressed to hell and then had a heart attack, followed by a second bigger one. I hauled him out of work and onto Pension Credit - he wouldn't have been here today if he had stayed at work.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 9,546 Posts
    • 103,170 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Originally posted by katkin
    I hated my job, but it was still horrible feeling like I was on the scrapheap at the age of 41.
    Ironically, I too was in the Civil Service, for 20 years; I worked for the Valuation Office to start with; went part time when my health started failing big-time; moved house and couldn't afford the travel back to Aylesbury so transferred to the MoD at Bicester but they'd only take me full time, so my health immediately deteriorated with doing full time hours again; eventually the Army doc backed my bid for medical retirement, which I got on both physical and mental health grounds.
    Nowadays I'm a carer for a dog-minding service, which I do with Mr LW's help, and it's great, I get canine company and I can feel like I'm doing something useful. Also, it's not day-in-day-out, there's often a gap between guests so I can catch my breath, so to speak.

Caronc all the very best for tomorrow, hun. x
    LameWolf
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

994Posts Today

6,659Users online

Martin's Twitter