Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 916Posts
    • 7,481Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    OS ways and Poor Health
    • 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    OS ways and Poor Health 11th Sep 16 at 9:56 PM
    Earlier today I joined a very good new thread on getting back to old style ways . I managed to take it in another direction by mentioning how ill health can impact on doing everything the old style way . As this was off topic to the original post . I will be posting on the original topic but without going off in another direction
    This seems to happen a lot of the time across the threads as many old stylers do have to cope with this problem .
    Many moons ago PREPARE AT HOME began a lengthy thread on being os with health problems and there have been a couple of other threads over the years .
    I am wondering if the time is right for another thread on the subject with the proviso it is not offering advice on medical subjects as that is for the professionals . We all do many things day to day to minimise fatigue and pain and though they are little things we have developed them to cope and others may not be aware of how helpful the little changes can be .
    I would be interested to see if others would like to join such a thread . I am not very techie as you will gather from my rambling post and have never started a thread before - I hope this posts !
    polly
Page 16
    • WelshWanderer
    • By WelshWanderer 17th Oct 16, 4:22 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    WelshWanderer
    Hello folks,

I'm new here, I thought I'd pop in and say hi.

How is everyone doing?

I'm new to the forum and OS so I'm looking forward to taking part.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 8,865 Posts
    • 96,580 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Welcome aboard, WW. I know it's Pollyanna's thread, but I'm sure she won't mind me being the first to offer you a virtual chair and cuppa.

I'm having a short time-out having fed, walked and groomed Jack Spaniel, done a WM load of Mr LW's clothes, and done my daily half-hour on the WiiFit. Bonus - I didn't fall over doing it this morning!!

I have to make a Shepherd Spy shortly, which will do for tonight's and tomorrow's dins; Mr LW will be on veg-chopping detail, on the basis of I'd like to keep all my fingers. Jack will, no doubt, be hanging around waiting for the carrot-tops to come his way.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • WelshWanderer
    • By WelshWanderer 17th Oct 16, 12:23 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    WelshWanderer
    I have just figured out that I'm WW someone mentioned it on another thread and I was too embarrassed to ask what it meant.

Mmmm thank you for the cuppa, I needed that. Been food shopping and I'm about ready to drop. I think I need a shopping trolley my rucksack can't hold everything. I'm currently resting at the library.

Woooo well done on the Wii fit! I love these achievements <3
    • Larumbelle
    • By Larumbelle 17th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 10,260 Thanks
    Larumbelle
    Morning all, happy Monday

Good to see you here WelshWanderer, welcome!

I was at the doc's first thing this morning. I had been dreading it but I think it was quite positive actually. My support worker had suggested that I should try antidepressants again, but my doctor disagreed with her. That surprised me but I was quite relieved. And we all discussed it and my support worker then agreed, which surprised me even more. I am not used to being treated like a human being with my own thoughts and opinions, or being listened to and given options. Especially within the medical world.

He does however want me to have another psychiatric referral, and asked my support worker to support this, especially as both my support worker and counselling are about to run out of funding. She said she would, and they both suggested other places that they might be able to refer me to. Like many places, funding shortages have decimated the services round here. It terrifies me that what support I am getting might suddenly stop, not because I am better but just because it is rationed. There's no guarantee that I will get any continued help, but just knowing that there are people who care enough to try makes all the difference.

I feel like I was on the anti-D merry-go-round a loooong time. Most of the GPs I have seen, pills were their first and only answer, even when I'd explain that I had already tried the ones they were prescribing. I could even tell you what order they would try them in. I know they work for a lot of people but I have tried half a dozen different ones multiple times and never felt that they have helped. But the GP I have now is different, he is interested in mental health which helps, and treats me as a person not a problem, and it makes all the difference in the world. I would recommend that anyone who doesn't feel like their GP is really listening to them to change doctors until they find one who does. The difference between a good GP and a bad one is everything where mental health is concerned IMHO.

The trip to the doc's has just about wiped me out already today. My support worker suggested I try and do something nice for myself today if I can, so I am baking bread In a machine, with an aldi mix, but still, it feels like a good thing to do! I am kind of hoping that the machine still works, it hasn't been used for a few years and the screen got cracked in storage. But it switched on when I plugged it in so I am hopeful

Polly and LW Thank you both for your kind words, they mean a lot Some days I do feel stronger, some days I feel like the weakest person in the world! Like yesterday when I woke up crying for no reason and did virtually nothing else all day When I look at where I was and where I am now, I know I am travelling in the right direction, sometimes it just feels like not fast enough. But actually I think that we are all strong people, because we always get through things somehow And that is all that matters.

Hope everyone is having a good day xx
    Last edited by Larumbelle; 17-10-2016 at 12:47 PM.

• Larumbelle
    • By Larumbelle 17th Oct 16, 12:57 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 10,260 Thanks
    Larumbelle
    I have just figured out that I'm WW someone mentioned it on another thread and I was too embarrassed to ask what it meant.

Mmmm thank you for the cuppa, I needed that. Been food shopping and I'm about ready to drop. I think I need a shopping trolley my rucksack can't hold everything. I'm currently resting at the library.
    Originally posted by WelshWanderer
    That made me smile It took me ages to figure out what the abbreviations meant, I thought about shortening your name to WW when I posted then wondered if you would know

I have a shopping trolley and I love it! If you don't drive it is a godsend. You can get really nice ones these days, I think the days of them being 'granny carts' (which I am ashamed to say is what we called them when I was a kid) is long gone. A couple of the charity shops do them brand new, I can't remember which (Cancer Research, PDSA and Sense are coming to mind but I'm not certain) but they are nice patterns, sturdy and help a good cause. I think mine saves me a lot of money as it lets me stock up in bulk, especially staples like rice, potatoes, dried beans and lentils, and tins, that all weigh a ton! Also the weight of veg soon adds up. If I didn't have the trolley I might be tempted to buy more processed food, because it seems lighter, even though it is more expensive and less nutritious.

• elona
    • By elona 17th Oct 16, 1:23 PM
    • 10,574 Posts
    • 53,342 Thanks
    elona
    I suggested getting myself a snazzy looking trolley a few years ago and the response from DDs was "Mum you are far too young for a wally trolley and it would be embarrassing!"

I now do a shopping order every few weeks and just pick up fresh bread, veg etc as I need them. There is a shop just a few minutes walk away and I don't get anything too heavy..

Welcome to WW and hug to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 17th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,862 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    I have a granny trolley! It's great! I bought one that's supposed to climb stairs, as I live in a flat. It's not so good for that, a bit noisy.
    One of my neighbours moaned about it clanking, I said that I was really happy she's noticed and would love her to help me carry my shopping up the stairs.
    Not heard from her since.
    They're also useful for clipping ankles of people using their phones and not looking where they're going. I don't do it on purpose!

Hope everyone's as well as they can be. x
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 18th Oct 16, 7:03 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 3,378 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Work and the cold have wiped me out so a early night is on the cards for me I think, only tomorrow at work then off for a week! I can't wait as need some rest.Trying to sort out the house and de clutter as going to be moving soon, we don't have a date yet as are in a chain but best get stared on these things - especially the amount of stuff the kids have!

Winter and the dark cold mornings are hard I find and I'm trying not to use my heating a lot but it's a must for keeping me well - it's just so expensive! I try to see if we qualify for help towards the cost but as we both work (me only just) we don't get anything. I have it on for the kids but find when they are at school I won't put it on for just me as I can't afford to!
    £2 Savers club
    Money Saving Mission 2016
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 18th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 15,745 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Victory!!!!
    Evening all

I havent been on for a while as am away from home - up country for the Beer Festival and am staying with a friend at the moment but had to pop on here to tell you of my good news!
    the council read my lengthy and detailed letter mentioning invoices; dates of appointments with tradesmen; dates of phoning firms for quotations etc AND copying out of all her txts AND a report from a surveyor I had done!!
    The council are not going to pursue this any further!! Yes!!! As a result I feel a lot better!! Such a relief!!!
    Feel my tenant is a very silly woman - I am going to terminate her tenancy when the 'roll over' happens in December 1st. I am not having toxic people in my life ANYMORE - they make me feel unwell in the head - let alone effect on the body! I sincerely hope, for the sake of her kids, that she finds a better place. I hope she does not suffer a bad landlord like one of my boys has!!!

So that's almost over then.
    Prinzessilein - very well done - so glad you are getting the flat you want!!
    LW - So, is your current 'dog finder' quitting, then?? That must be unnerving for you as you love the woofs so much!

thank you so much for everyone's kind comments. Further good news - I contacted someone who wanted to move in previously, and although she cant move in till Easter 2017 - she still wants to come and is recommended by the next door neighbour who was very good to my Mum when she was alive and lived there!

What goes around ........
    Be well everyone - sending good vibes!
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)

LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 19th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 7,481 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Shuffles in looking guilty
    WW I confess I'm the guilty party re WW . I posted earlier in the thread that shortened user names meant less letters to type . In my world I call it pacing others may call it laziness Sorry for the confusion . It could be worse at one point I threatened to give everyone a number
    Welcome to the thread - LW It's our thread not mine so welcome all you like . Hope things are ok with you and you get a gold star for not falling over .
    Larumbelle Wishing you a good week and hope you feel chirpier today . I'm still working on your username but can't work out how to shorten it so you can keep it .
    Lyn I'm pleased to read the outcome of last weeks problem . I understand you feel concern for the tenants family but that's her job so don't worry , she should be more mindful of the effects of her actions before starting something .
    Well we finally have the sun after days of wet and windy , very cold but I have a thick polo neck on and cold is better than damp and miserable
    Sending gentle hugs to those in pain , low or sleepless . Spoons to those who'd like and good vibes to all .
    polly x
    Prinzess You're probably really busy but hope the move is going well. x
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 19th Oct 16, 12:58 PM
    • 8,865 Posts
    • 96,580 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I'm a fan of abbreviations, too - and imho, less letters to type definitely = pacing, not laziness.

Lyn I am so pleased the Council has seen through Madam's silliness. Good on you for evicting toxic people from your life.
    Mr LW may see you at the beer festival - IF I feel well enough to drive, I'll do taxi service for him and his pal on Friday, if they want to go; I shan't stay though - no fun in sitting at groin-height to everyone else and drinking water! Besides, I have Jack Spaniel to consider; he's good when left, but I don't want to leave him for longer than is necessary. I might even get in an hour uninterrupted playing Morrowind on the pc.

As to the dog-sitting franchise.... Yes, it's closed. The franchisee tried for getting on for two years to sell, with no success, and finally , after a health scare of the TIA variety, he decided to just pack it in, and he's moved to another part of the country.

He left me with several ongoing bookings (of which Jack is one), which I have very reluctantly had to do as a freelance (I couldn't let the dogs down) but I'm hoping this new company I found will take me on. I'm desperately uncomfortable asking people for money for a start; and if I'm signed up with a company, they deal with the invoicing, there's veterinary advice available 24/7, and insurance is all dealt with. Plus of course, if I'm not available for a particular date, there may be another host on their books who is, so it won't be just "sorry, can't help you" iyswim.

The only issue they may have is with me being disabled; but I've told them in my application that I've looked after sixty different dogs using the mobility buggy for walkies, including several twosomes, and not had any problem, so it's Fingers Crossed.

Tink I hope you're a bit less cold today; I was absolutely perished when I took Jack for his morning walk! I hear you as regards heating; ours is on! I know it's expensive, but needs must and all that. Anyways, enjoy your week off.
    LameWolf
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 19th Oct 16, 1:02 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,158 Thanks
    Slowly57
    A couple of the charity shops do them brand new, I can't remember which (Cancer Research, PDSA and Sense are coming to mind but I'm not certain) but they are nice patterns, sturdy and help a good cause.
    Originally posted by Larumbelle
    Sue Ryder had trolleys in last time I looked. I use a cabin-size rolly suitcase - the handle acts as a 'steady' and it goes sideways as well as push/pull I also have a Reisenthel fold-up one that was more expensive, but has saved me so, so much trouble - I think there are other brands now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZhD3skUaDg
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 20th Oct 16, 9:52 AM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 6,699 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Morning!...Oh it is cold here this morning!...When I finally move I think I will be looking at putting the winter duvet on my bed!

Moving is progressing VERY slowly. I signed the contract o Monday, and the Housing Officer chap forgot the paint-allowance papers (amongst other papers) ....finally got hold of him yesterday and he has promised faithfully to bring them today so we can order my paint....unfortunately we had already found someone to do the painting - now we have to see if he can make it NEXT week rather than this weekend as the paint won't arrive in time! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! (And we can't push too hard as they are friend-of-a-friend and doing us a favour by fitting me in 'after hours')

I have a trolley too! I fought hard against it...after all only 'old' people have them! But now I wouldn't be without her! Yes, she is female (and her name is Esther)...and my walking stick is definitely male (and is called Knobbler.....he replaced my first stick, Crusher!)...I have a thing about naming objects!.....Esther makes my life so much easier...She helps me balance when I walk (I have severe dyspraxia) and carries LOADS of shopping for me.....And she will be a terrific help with the move! (I will move a fair amount of small items on my own - with Esther.)....I bought both Esther and Knobbler from the local disability-aid shop (and got them both VAT free as I am disabled)

Welcome WW...I read your story on the other thread...you are an amazing strong woman!

The shortening of names is something that confuses me a bit...the used to shorten my real name at school...down to just one syllable. ...Does it really save that much time?...Online I can accept that shorter names means less typing, so saves time and effort! ...(although I did once have to point out to someone - not on this thread - that shortening my username to just Prinz was problematic as I am a princess not a prince!)
    • Larumbelle
    • By Larumbelle 20th Oct 16, 11:05 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 10,260 Thanks
    Larumbelle
    Lyn I am so happy for you, that must be a big weight off your mind! I smiled when you said you are no longer willing to have toxic people in your life - I have made a similar vow to myself. Hopefully now you can focus on getting a better tenant for your house.

Prinzess I'm glad that everything is progressing, even if it's not 100% smoothly. I had delays getting my paint allowance too, it will be worth it though in the end!

As to the name shortening... well, if you can find a way to shorten mine, go for it I am not precious about my username at all. With my real name, it's a whole different story though! Even though it is only two syllables, people keep insisting on shortening it down to one in a way that I really, really hate. Luckily now I have a new group of friends who respect that I prefer my actual name, and the only person who gets away with shortening it is my sister. She, on the other hand, goes by a shortened version of her name to the point that if someone uses the full version of it I do have to think for a second who they are referring to. Names are a bit funny when you think about it!

LW surely the fact that you are already doing the job is absolute proof that you are able to do it! Hopefully you won't have any problems, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Yesterday wasn't great for me, I don't know why, just one of those no-energy days. You know when you feel a huge sense of achievement by doing a simple task you'd never have thought twice about before? That was me yesterday LOL. I made some pasta with veggies and a bit of pesto, which pre-illness would have been a lazy no-effort thrown-together cop out, but yesterday I actually felt proud of myself for managing it! Hopefully today will be a better day.

One of my friends has given me one of those daylight tube lamps because he thinks it's the nights closing in. I put it on for a few hours last night and I don't know if it was 'working' but it was nice to have 'normal' light rather than artificial. Although I still have the bulbs that were here when I moved in, the CFL equivalent of 40w bulbs so not exactly bright. I am changing my light fittings completely in the next few days and once I have they will be brighter, but LEDs so they are much cheaper to run. So maybe that will make a difference too.

I am off for my weekly counselling session. At the moment I feel chirpier than yesterday, hopefully I will still feel that way afterwards! It's not that it makes me feel worse, but it can be quite intense, so often I come home feeling utterly exhausted and it takes me a bit of time to process it all before I can carry on with my day. But I am hopeful.

Hope everyone has a good day

• LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 20th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    • 8,865 Posts
    • 96,580 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Re names, screen names, and nicknames. I am quite happy if people shorten my screen name to LW (as most do), but I do insist on my preferred version of my real name - and spelled correctly, too, as many people mis-spell it.

Update on the doggy situation - I had a long chat (on the phone *gulp*) with the lady who administers this area; she seems very keen to put me onto the books. I have to fill out some official paperwork (on its way to me), provide two references, and pass a home-check. She asked loads of questions about our bungalow, and where I walk dogs; also checked if we smoke (no we don't) and if we have children (no) or other pets (no); Mr LW's pal has agreed to give a reference - he's known us for years, and we've looked after his dog; and I've emailed one of my regular guests' "Mum" to ask if she'll give a reference also. So, keeping the fingers crossed still, but hopefully we should be good to go.
    LameWolf
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 20th Oct 16, 4:54 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 7,540 Thanks
    Living proof
    [/I]I have to make a Shepherd Spy shortly, which will do for tonight's and tomorrow's dins; Mr LW will be on veg-chopping detail, on the basis of I'd like to keep all my fingers.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Otherwise you will be having I Scream for afters!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 22nd Oct 16, 2:48 PM
    • 8,865 Posts
    • 96,580 Thanks
    LameWolf
    All shook up.....
    Took quite a nasty fall this morning, am somewhat shaken, and my leg is a rather fetching shade of bluish purple. Could have been worse; I didn't break anything, thankfully. So am finding sitting-down tasks to do today; may even get started on the next section of my cardigan - I have the back and the two pocket-linings knitted up so far.

Hoping you're all well, and not doing daft things such as chronicled above.
    LameWolf
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 22nd Oct 16, 3:06 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,862 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    Took quite a nasty fall this morning, am somewhat shaken, and my leg is a rather fetching shade of bluish purple. Could have been worse; I didn't break anything, thankfully. So am finding sitting-down tasks to do today; may even get started on the next section of my cardigan - I have the back and the two pocket-linings knitted up so far.

Hoping you're all well, and not doing daft things such as chronicled above.
    Hope you're okay LameWolf. I'm forever falling over...it's always a shock.
    Went to the hospital this week, the consultant asked how my balance is....I showed him my latest bruises...all ten of them! They were the ones on show...I didn't show him the rest...to protect him!

If you're doing sit down crafts...make sure you have decent lighting! x
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 22nd Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,158 Thanks
    Slowly57
    Took quite a nasty fall this morning, am somewhat shaken, and my leg is a rather fetching shade of bluish purple.
    Hope you're feeling much better now LameWolf - I bruise like a peach - my OH thinks I have a secret life as a cage fighter LMAO
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 22nd Oct 16, 5:24 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 6,699 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    *very gentle hugs for LameWolf...I bruise of you look at me too hard!

I am somewhat fuzzy on meds today...this means my coordination is all off. I managed to miss the coffee cup when making a cuppa this morning. Thankfully only the coffee powder...and I have a water boiler/pourer for days like this!

The painter came this morning and examined what needs to be done....we have been promised by the Council that the paint will be delivered on Wednesday....I'm hoping for a couple of clear-head days this coming week so that I can get a fair bit of packing done.

'Strictly' tonight....so a good reason to just veg out in front of the tele!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,523Posts Today

3,965Users online

Martin's Twitter