Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Neeks_77
    • By Neeks_77 11th Sep 16, 7:23 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Neeks_77
    Caught speeding while at work?
    • 11th Sep 16, 7:23 PM
    Caught speeding while at work? 11th Sep 16 at 7:23 PM
    I was recently caught speeding on my way home from work, doing 41 in a 30 apparently, I'm already curious about that as I was on a speed awareness course on the Monday before being caught and have drove at the limit since, also another person at work was caught doing the same speed at the same time as me.

When I first got the letter I was gutted and immediately sent the letter off to confirm I was driving, however once I was told I was getting fined and points I did some digging and realised that I didn't clock out of work unail 1 minute after I was allegedly caught speeding, it also takes 2 minutes to get from my work to where I was caught.

With there being effectively 3 minutes difference between the time i clocked out of work and being caught, do I have any chance of arguing the charge or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks for any help I am given.
Page 1
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 11th Sep 16, 7:28 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    • 11th Sep 16, 7:28 PM
    • 11th Sep 16, 7:28 PM
    You've already admitted to being the driver at the time of the offence.

The first thing I'd do is check the time of the works clock in system, it may well be wrong.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 11th Sep 16, 10:05 PM
    • 12,572 Posts
    • 7,878 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 11th Sep 16, 10:05 PM
    • 11th Sep 16, 10:05 PM
    They didn't just pluck up your reg out of thin air though surely?
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 12th Sep 16, 8:59 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 2,285 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    • 12th Sep 16, 8:59 AM
    • 12th Sep 16, 8:59 AM
    I was recently caught speeding on my way home from work, doing 41 in a 30 apparently, I'm already curious about that as I was on a speed awareness course on the Monday before being caught and have drove at the limit since, also another person at work was caught doing the same speed at the same time as me.

When I first got the letter I was gutted and immediately sent the letter off to confirm I was driving, however once I was told I was getting fined and points I did some digging and realised that I didn't clock out of work unail 1 minute after I was allegedly caught speeding, it also takes 2 minutes to get from my work to where I was caught.

With there being effectively 3 minutes difference between the time i clocked out of work and being caught, do I have any chance of arguing the charge or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks for any help I am given.
    Originally posted by Neeks_77

Is there CCTV to prove that it was you who clocked you out?

Irrespective of that I'm thinking this is a wind up.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 12th Sep 16, 10:30 AM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 3,218 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 12th Sep 16, 10:30 AM
    • 12th Sep 16, 10:30 AM
    Were you driving a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor at 88 mph?

That might account for the time dilation.
    You are all a bunch of fluttering kites.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 12th Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 3,091 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 12th Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    • 12th Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    Could be that your work system is 3 minutes slow, could be the camera was 3 minutes fast, or a combination.

If the car was at your work, and you're not disputing being the driver (you're not trying to make the case that it was some unidentified driver?) then you may be able to have a pop at asking about the accuracy of the camera. That said, if you'd been caught at about 30% over the limit so that probably won't fly.

You can ask a motoring lawyer about the possibility of getting it voided, but it's probably best to just take it on the chin and actually drive at the speed limit.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 12th Sep 16, 10:48 AM
    • 8,456 Posts
    • 9,494 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 12th Sep 16, 10:48 AM
    • 12th Sep 16, 10:48 AM
    You can ask a motoring lawyer about the possibility of getting it voided, but it's probably best to just take it on the chin and actually drive at the speed limit.
    Originally posted by Herzlos

Would that even be possible now that the OP has already returned the form stating that they were driving and the fine and penalty points having been issued?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th Sep 16, 11:47 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 12th Sep 16, 11:47 AM
    • 12th Sep 16, 11:47 AM
    Would that even be possible now that the OP has already returned the form stating that they were driving and the fine and penalty points having been issued?
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    The OP hasn't said that he's accepted the fixed penalty. If he has, then game over.

If he hasn't, then he can go to court. I suspect it would be an expensive day out.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 12th Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 3,091 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 12th Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 12th Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    Exactly - I don't think he can deny being the driver, but he may be able to claim that the incident never happened / the process wasn't followed / the camera was inaccurate.

Any of that is likely to cost more than the points + insurance hike.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Sep 16, 12:31 PM
    • 11,209 Posts
    • 9,497 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The OP hasn't said that he's accepted the fixed penalty.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    True. However, he has confirmed that he was driving that car in that place at that time.

The likelihood that the car's registration was duplicated by another using the same stretch of road at the same time is minimal.
    The likelihood that the camera's calibration or mode of operation was so wildly inaccurate is also minimal.

Which really only leaves one other option - that three minutes is a VERY easy amount of time to be mistaken by.
    • Neeks_77
    • By Neeks_77 12th Sep 16, 1:10 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Neeks_77
    Thanks all for the replies and advice, definitely not a wind up was just wanting some advice. As for actually driving to the speed limit as one poster has advised me to, I believe I was as I haven't sped since my speed awareness course.

Regardless I think I'll take it on the chin as suggested and pay the fine and take the points as my main worry is ill end up paying a fortune to be given more points/fine for daring to question the conviction.

Thanks again though.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Sep 16, 1:15 PM
    • 11,209 Posts
    • 9,497 Thanks
    AdrianC
    As for actually driving to the speed limit as one poster has advised me to, I believe I was as I haven't sped since my speed awareness course.
    Originally posted by Neeks_77
    41 suggests you were trying to, but had the wrong idea of the correct limit.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 12th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 8,456 Posts
    • 9,494 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    The OP hasn't said that he's accepted the fixed penalty. If he has, then game over.

If he hasn't, then he can go to court. I suspect it would be an expensive day out.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    My mistake.
    From reading the opening post, I mistakenly assumed that the letter accepting the penalty had already been returned.
    • mad_spaniel
    • By mad_spaniel 12th Sep 16, 1:41 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    mad_spaniel
    Is th car registration clearly visible in any photo? The girl I used to work with got a ticket for speeding in Wales but had never been there. A quick tel call to police followed and they admitted they'd not been able to see the reg plate clearly, so had guessed ! the matter was dropped.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 12th Sep 16, 4:35 PM
    • 8,456 Posts
    • 9,494 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Is th car registration clearly visible in any photo? The girl I used to work with got a ticket for speeding in Wales but had never been there. A quick tel call to police followed and they admitted they'd not been able to see the reg plate clearly, so had guessed ! the matter was dropped.
    Originally posted by mad_spaniel
    Very unlikely to be the case here.
    After all, if the registration couldn't be seen clearly and was simply guessed at, what would be the chances of guessing and picking a registration that matched a car that was passing that same speed camera within a couple of minutes of when the offence was recorded?
    • dannyrst
    • By dannyrst 12th Sep 16, 4:40 PM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    dannyrst
    Very unlikely to be the case here.
    After all, if the registration couldn't be seen clearly and was simply guessed at, what would be the chances of guessing and picking a registration that matched a car that was passing that same speed camera within a couple of minutes of when the offence was recorded?
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Not impossible to suggest that the police checked for known speeders with a similar car to that in question.
    • stator
    • By stator 12th Sep 16, 4:59 PM
    • 4,914 Posts
    • 3,104 Thanks
    stator
    41 suggests you were trying to, but had the wrong idea of the correct limit.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    No it doesn't, unless the Spedo was wrong.
    If you're trying to do 45mph your actual speed might be 41mph but if your spedo reads 40mph you will probably be doing 37mph.

You haven't stated whether you have sole access to the vehicle or not?

Have they sent you any evidence and have you asked for it?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 12th Sep 16, 5:22 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    No it doesn't, unless the Spedo was wrong.
    If you're trying to do 45mph your actual speed might be 41mph but if your spedo reads 40mph you will probably be doing 37mph.

You haven't stated whether you have sole access to the vehicle or not?

Have they sent you any evidence and have you asked for it?
    Originally posted by stator
    He's not entitled to any evidence until he submits a not guilty plea. The photo can be sent to help identify the driver, but as the op has already said he was driving it's a bit pointless asking for it.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 16th Sep 16, 12:08 AM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    Richard53
    Exactly - I don't think he can deny being the driver, but he may be able to claim that the incident never happened / the process wasn't followed / the camera was inaccurate.

Any of that is likely to cost more than the points + insurance hike.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    This happened to me. I was clocked at 42 when just leaving a 30 a few years ago. I saw the camera van and checked my speedo, which was still under 30 mph, so I was surprised to get a ticket. Then I noticed the time of the 'offence' - at that time I was in a meeting about 5 miles away. I worked out that the time on the camera was about 30 minutes out. I asked for a copy of the photo, and it was definitely me driving my car, and I had passed along that bit of road that evening. As I was convinced that the recorded speed was incorrect, I challenged it in court on the basis that the machine hadn't been set up properly. Bad mistake. Found guilty, fine doubled, and £180 court costs added on top. If you're going to challenge a ticket on technical grounds, be prepared to have an expert witness on your side (at huge cost) or don't bother.
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • Fimbo77
    • By Fimbo77 22nd Sep 16, 11:03 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Fimbo77
    I just received a ticket too - 42 in a 30. Now, I know that sounds bad but I was exiting a small borders town on the nice wide A7 - police were sitting right on the national speed limit sign but hidden off to the right. If they were worried about speeding, they would have been in plain sight of the left of the road but they were being sneaky, dare I say it, trying to raise some cash?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

2,078Users online

Martin's Twitter