Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 11th Sep 16, 11:58 AM
    • 6,737Posts
    • 32,359Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    The 'Better Late Than Never' September NSD Challenge.'
    • 11th Sep 16, 11:58 AM
    The 'Better Late Than Never' September NSD Challenge.' 11th Sep 16 at 11:58 AM
    Hi.
    I used to run the NSD challenge (no spend day),but stopped a while ago.I think it's petered out...?
    I had a look a few weeks ago and couldn't find anything.

Anyway I'd like to get it up and running again,so if anyone remembers this challenge and wants to join in,you're more than welcome!

It'll be a skin and bones version though.Adios to Igor,Hubert,cheffie etc.
    Last edited by marmiterulesok; 11-09-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    NSD September 4/10
    I need to learn to budget again
Page 2
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 22nd Sep 16, 9:01 PM
    • 6,737 Posts
    • 32,359 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    I'm up to #5 now.
    NSD September 4/10
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 22nd Sep 16, 9:21 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    ab_saver
    Glad you think I'm organised marmite - I'm not so sure. I feel like I'm cheating a little by allocating my spend days as days when I'm going out for meals with friends (happening far more than necessary at present) or otherwise have to spend but then overspending on them. I think maximising NSDs will be great for things like not buying coffee and snacks at work, but the other half of the battle will be reining in the spends on the spend days...
    DFW - aiming to be clear Nov '16 NSDs Sept 16 3/7
    1000 emergency fund #208 - 5.93/ 1000 Next: 10k towards a house deposit by mid 2018!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 22nd Sep 16, 9:38 PM
    • 8,564 Posts
    • 51,248 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Today was NSD number 1 for me.

Since OH and I became debt free last year things have relaxed a bit. We switched to a joint bank account and I took over all the finances, but, although I balance the account to the penny, and check it every day, I have lost the NSD momentum. For this new version of the challenge I am just going to focus on my personal spending. Household bills and food supplies are essentials, a necessary evil, but I can try and regain control of the little incidental spends. When reaching for cash or debit card, I should be thinking "do I really need this? Can I make do with something I already have? Or can it wait for another time?"
    Last edited by Nargleblast; 22-09-2016 at 9:50 PM.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

September NSDs. 1 of 4
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 22nd Sep 16, 9:40 PM
    • 8,564 Posts
    • 51,248 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    ab - organising when you are going to spend money is part of the battle. It gets you thinking about what you are spending money on and when.

September NSDs. 1 of 4
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 22nd Sep 16, 9:54 PM
    • 6,737 Posts
    • 32,359 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Glad you think I'm organised marmite - I'm not so sure. I feel like I'm cheating a little by allocating my spend days as days when I'm going out for meals with friends (happening far more than necessary at present) or otherwise have to spend but then overspending on them. I think maximising NSDs will be great for things like not buying coffee and snacks at work, but the other half of the battle will be reining in the spends on the spend days...
    Originally posted by ab_saver
    Doesn't sound like cheating...more common sense tbh.
    Why do you think you overspend on those days?

Today was NSD number 1 for me.

Since OH and I became debt free last year things have relaxed a bit. We switched to a joint bank account and I took over all the finances, but, although I balance the account to the penny, and check it every day, I have lost the NSD momentum. For this new version of the challenge I am just going to focus on my personal spending. Household bills and food supplies are essentials, a necessary evil, but I can try and regain control of the little incidental spends. When reaching for cash or debit card, I should be thinking "do I really need this? Can I make do with something I already gave? Or can it wait for another time?"
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    It sounds perfectly reasonable my dear Nargle.

Well done on getting #1!

ab - organising when you are going to spend money is part of the battle. It gets you thinking about what you are spending money on and when.
    Absolutely.
    NSD September 4/10
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 22nd Sep 16, 9:55 PM
    • 6,737 Posts
    • 32,359 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    I've just realized that I spend some money on Wednesday as an 'extra' spend,so am only at #4 in fact.
    NSD September 4/10
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 22nd Sep 16, 10:00 PM
    • 8,564 Posts
    • 51,248 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Further updates from Chateau Nargle - my DS moves into student digs at university on Saturday, so OH and I will be alone for the first time in 18 years ( apart from the times the boy was on school trips, or when he went on holiday to Greece with his mates two days after his 18th birthday).

The university is in a city only 20 miles or so away, so he will be able to get back for weekends now and then (e.g. When he runs out of clean socks)

A new addition to the household is a genuine Narglehound, Molly the border collie. She is now 9 months old and an absolute delight, even if she is bonkers. Senior cat Albert keeps hew in her place. Junior cat Patsy has said "sod that for a game of soldiers" and moved out to become an outdoor cat. We put food out for her every day, and hope she comes back indoors when the weather turns nasty.

So, on this Autumn Equinox evening, I look forward to getting back into the NSD way!

September NSDs. 1 of 4
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 22nd Sep 16, 10:18 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    ab_saver
    Doesn't sound like cheating...more common sense tbh.
    Why do you think you overspend on those days?
    Originally posted by marmiterulesok
    Well partly because I'm used to putting things off for a few days, and am not that prone to impulsive buys (unless I'm hungry!!). I think I'm savvy and careful with the costs of the things I do buy... but not everything I buy is necessarily a "need". I think I'm pretty good with the bare minimum needs for day to day living and keeping them on budget, but little treats here and there add up. I have a habit of sitting and waiting a couple of days but then buying my considered purchase anyway (e.g. it'll be good for x's birthday, was reduced, got cash back etc etc). I know I got a bit overexcited when I got my first payslip (after 6 years as a student on a very very tight budget) and that that isn't sustainable. Essentially I'd put a lot of spending off until I got paid and then made a lot of purchases in quick succession. In spite of this it's looking like I will pay off my student overdraft by the end of the year (hopefully November). I want to get into and maintain sensible habits now I have money of my own - so I can save for things important to me (e.g. house, wedding) not fritter it away and wonder where it's gone.
    1000 emergency fund #208 - 5.93/ 1000 Next: 10k towards a house deposit by mid 2018!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 22nd Sep 16, 10:24 PM
    • 8,564 Posts
    • 51,248 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    ab you could draw out a few quid every week for your "treats kitty", and when it's gone then you have to wait till next week before spending any more. If you are careful, you could find yourself with a bit left over in your treats kitty, which could be put into savings, or used to take advantage of special offers on essentials.

September NSDs. 1 of 4
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 22nd Sep 16, 10:41 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    ab_saver
    nargle that's what I've tried to do now- allocate a "treats" budget. I've also taken the advice of a friend of a friend in a similar job who said to put things I wanted as treats on a list and allow myself 1-3 (depending on cost of item) each month. I've done that so I have a list of "allowed" treats - and anything else must either go at the bottom of the list (currently full until April!) or displace something from it. I think putting something on the list is a good way of forcing myself to think about things and also prioritise them - which ones do I get which month. I haven't yet had a chance to put this into practice. Once I'm back in the black (hopefully v soon) I'm planning to set up standing orders for not long after payday to a help to buy ISA and a regular saver so that money isn't in my account long enough to be spent. Once I have savings I'm very good at leaving them alone; I saved for my time studying abroad even on a student budget and once it was in the savings account it didn't come out until I emptied it to book my flights!

I do like your idea of setting a treats budget as well and any left over at the end of the month going into savings - I think I'd find that really gratifying (and also puts purchases in sharp perspective...) It'd also stop be trying to justify 2 expensive treats in a single month by saying it's only 2... In that vein I should probably set an "eating out" budget.

Thanks for all the advice! I'm a new poster but have been lurking for a while.
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 23rd Sep 16, 8:06 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    ab_saver
    Woke up and had a brainwave - what I was struggling to express was that whilst all my expenses on my spend day were ones that were needed, some were things I just didn't foresee and could have done -e.g. OH's sister's birthday (it's the same day every year and we've been together 5 years...). I think I need to add a virtual envelope for gifts for friends so that I know when I need to buy a gift the money is there and doesn't eat into my other categories. Off to go and update OnTrees...
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 23rd Sep 16, 3:21 PM
    • 6,737 Posts
    • 32,359 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Woke up and had a brainwave - what I was struggling to express was that whilst all my expenses on my spend day were ones that were needed, some were things I just didn't foresee and could have done -e.g. OH's sister's birthday (it's the same day every year and we've been together 5 years...). I think I need to add a virtual envelope for gifts for friends so that I know when I need to buy a gift the money is there and doesn't eat into my other categories. Off to go and update OnTrees...
    One word:budgeting!

You can't think of everything,especially if you're new to it,but it gets easier.

Mind you,there are always unforeseen things.Emergency fund?
    NSD September 4/10
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 23rd Sep 16, 3:23 PM
    • 8,564 Posts
    • 51,248 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    We will have some self indulgent fish and chips from the chippy tonight instead of cooking - bang goes a NSD! However, tonight is DS's last night at home before we take him to uni tomorrow so that's our excuse!

Should get a few more NSDs before the month's end, then will start serious NSD hunting in October, on account of planning for that festival beginning with C that shall not be named.

September NSDs. 1 of 4
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 23rd Sep 16, 3:52 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    ab_saver
    One word:budgeting!

You can't think of everything,especially if you're new to it,but it gets easier.

Mind you,there are always unforeseen things.Emergency fund?
    Thanks marmite - think you hit the nail on the head there. My budgeting is definitely getting better. I've only been in the job 2 months and had one payday so far so it's definitely an iterative process. I think once I'm settled on a stable salary and into a routine it'll be much easier.

Re: emergency fund - I've signed up to the emergency fund challenge but not put anything in yet. I'm expecting some funds back from overpaid bills to top that up to about 20 - got that money back today and was only 5.90 - better than nothing though. Once I've ditched the overdraft once and for all I'm planning on funding it with the Lloyds save the change tool plus the occasional top up.

NSD # 3 today.

Tomorrow should be a low spend day as found out that dinner will be subsidised!

All going well I should end the month with the overdraft below 1000 which would make me so happy. I'm writing a provisional budget for next month but I don't yet know exactly how much I'll be paid- will put it on my diary once it's sorted.

Thank you both for giving a young foolish newbie help and advice!
    Last edited by ab_saver; 23-09-2016 at 5:55 PM.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 23rd Sep 16, 8:33 PM
    • 8,564 Posts
    • 51,248 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    If you are talking about being foolish, ab, then let me tell you what I have told so many folks on here. When it comes to financial messes, I have a degree in Stupidity from the University of Stupidity in Stupidtown.

My OH and I were in a humongous amount of debt, and it is thanks partly to Stepchange and partly to the help of people on this site that we got out of it. Keep looking round the forums, there is always something useful to learn.

September NSDs. 1 of 4
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 24th Sep 16, 9:55 PM
    • 6,737 Posts
    • 32,359 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Further updates from Chateau Nargle - my DS moves into student digs at university on Saturday, so OH and I will be alone for the first time in 18 years ( apart from the times the boy was on school trips, or when he went on holiday to Greece with his mates two days after his 18th birthday).

The university is in a city only 20 miles or so away, so he will be able to get back for weekends now and then (e.g. When he runs out of clean socks)

A new addition to the household is a genuine Narglehound, Molly the border collie. She is now 9 months old and an absolute delight, even if she is bonkers. Senior cat Albert keeps hew in her place. Junior cat Patsy has said "sod that for a game of soldiers" and moved out to become an outdoor cat. We put food out for her every day, and hope she comes back indoors when the weather turns nasty.

So, on this Autumn Equinox evening, I look forward to getting back into the NSD way!
    I hope it all goes smoothly for DS.What an occasion!I hope you don't find iot too hard to see him go.

Interesting to learn that there is a real,live Narglehound in the form of Molly,even if she is bonkers.

We will have some self indulgent fish and chips from the chippy tonight instead of cooking - bang goes a NSD! However, tonight is DS's last night at home before we take him to uni tomorrow so that's our excuse!

Should get a few more NSDs before the month's end, then will start serious NSD hunting in October, on account of planning for that festival beginning with C that shall not be named.
    Hope the fisn and chips were good!

Ah,the dreaded 'c' word.....

If you are talking about being foolish, ab, then let me tell you what I have told so many folks on here. When it comes to financial messes, I have a degree in Stupidity from the University of Stupidity in Stupidtown.

My OH and I were in a humongous amount of debt, and it is thanks partly to Stepchange and partly to the help of people on this site that we got out of it. Keep looking round the forums, there is always something useful to learn.
    I agree.This whole forum was a lifesaver for me when I joined.

I,on the other hand,have an Honours Degree in managing finances.
    NSD September 4/10
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 24th Sep 16, 9:58 PM
    • 6,737 Posts
    • 32,359 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Thanks marmite - think you hit the nail on the head there. My budgeting is definitely getting better. I've only been in the job 2 months and had one payday so far so it's definitely an iterative process. I think once I'm settled on a stable salary and into a routine it'll be much easier.

Re: emergency fund - I've signed up to the emergency fund challenge but not put anything in yet. I'm expecting some funds back from overpaid bills to top that up to about 20 - got that money back today and was only 5.90 - better than nothing though. Once I've ditched the overdraft once and for all I'm planning on funding it with the Lloyds save the change tool plus the occasional top up.

NSD # 3 today.

Tomorrow should be a low spend day as found out that dinner will be subsidised!

All going well I should end the month with the overdraft below 1000 which would make me so happy. I'm writing a provisional budget for next month but I don't yet know exactly how much I'll be paid- will put it on my diary once it's sorted.

Thank you both for giving a young foolish newbie help and advice!
    Isn't this your forst job?I'm sure you said that..in which case,getting finances and udgets sorted is very commendable!

Well done on getting NSD #3 BTW!
    NSD September 4/10
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 24th Sep 16, 9:59 PM
    • 6,737 Posts
    • 32,359 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Today and yesterday were spendy.Tomorrow will hopefully be an nsd.
    NSD September 4/10
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 24th Sep 16, 10:48 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    ab_saver
    Isn't this your forst job?I'm sure you said that..in which case,getting finances and udgets sorted is very commendable!

Well done on getting NSD #3 BTW!
    Correct - first proper full time job. Feel like this is a good opportunity to pull myself together and set up good habits (and get out of student hole).

Planned spend day today - ran big event then had dinner and drinks with new colleagues. Feel like I have good friends here (I moved a very long way for this job) now so it was worth it. Still hoping for NSDs tomorrow to Tuesday - then Wednesday is payday and (sensible, budgeted) spends begin again....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

383Posts Today

3,629Users online

Martin's Twitter