Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 11th Sep 16, 11:58 AM
    • 6,775Posts
    • 32,406Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    The 'Better Late Than Never' September NSD Challenge.'
    • 11th Sep 16, 11:58 AM
    The 'Better Late Than Never' September NSD Challenge.' 11th Sep 16 at 11:58 AM
    Hi.
    I used to run the NSD challenge (no spend day),but stopped a while ago.I think it's petered out...?
    I had a look a few weeks ago and couldn't find anything.

Anyway I'd like to get it up and running again,so if anyone remembers this challenge and wants to join in,you're more than welcome!

It'll be a skin and bones version though.Adios to Igor,Hubert,cheffie etc.
    Last edited by marmiterulesok; 11-09-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    NSD September 6/10
    I need to learn to budget again
Page 1
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 11th Sep 16, 12:01 PM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 32,406 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    • 11th Sep 16, 12:01 PM
    • 11th Sep 16, 12:01 PM
    Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch & have been l-o-n-g time NSDers so don't panic
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out )
    General thoughts on Äbay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by....
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & nargle usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
    NSD September 6/10
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 11th Sep 16, 12:02 PM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 32,406 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    • 11th Sep 16, 12:02 PM
    The Prizes!
    • 11th Sep 16, 12:02 PM
    There's one prize only:

A lippy wearing dancing panda
    Last edited by marmiterulesok; 19-09-2016 at 4:23 PM.
    NSD September 6/10
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 11th Sep 16, 12:03 PM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 32,406 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    • 11th Sep 16, 12:03 PM
    The Challengers
    marmiterulesok 6/10

ab_saver 6/7

Nargleblast 2/4
    Last edited by marmiterulesok; 28-09-2016 at 7:41 PM.
    NSD September 6/10
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 11th Sep 16, 12:03 PM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 32,406 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    The 'in a row' Challenge!
    marmiterulesok 4 in a row
    Last edited by marmiterulesok; 19-09-2016 at 4:09 PM.
    NSD September 6/10
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 18th Sep 16, 4:33 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    ab_saver
    • 18th Sep 16, 4:33 PM
    • 18th Sep 16, 4:33 PM
    I'd be keen to give this a go!
    Looking at calendar hoping for most of the next 10 days until payday to be NSDs - let's say aiming for 7/10 for now.
    DFW - aiming to be clear Nov '16__________ NSDs Sept 16 6/7 Oct 16 1/18_____ October supermarket challenge £0/40
    £1000 emergency fund #208 - £5.93/ 1000 _ Next: 10k towards a house deposit by mid 2018!
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 19th Sep 16, 4:05 PM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 32,406 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    • 19th Sep 16, 4:05 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 4:05 PM
    I'd be keen to give this a go!
    Looking at calendar hoping for most of the next 10 days until payday to be NSDs - let's say aiming for 7/10 for now.
    Originally posted by ab_saver
    Ah,a willing victim nsder.Nice.I knew someone would appear to keep me company!

Welcome ab_saver!

Let me just sign you up.

Hold on now,your nsd target is 7,is that right?

eta just looked at your sig,ok.Let's roll and roll!!!!

I'm a bit rusty at this...
    Last edited by marmiterulesok; 19-09-2016 at 4:07 PM.
    NSD September 6/10
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 19th Sep 16, 4:15 PM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 32,406 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    • 19th Sep 16, 4:15 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 4:15 PM
    ab_saver just let me know if you have any questions.

The great thing about this challenge is that you make up the rules to suit you.My rules are that the following do not count as spends:

-transport,as I have a travelcard (paid once a year)
    -swimming or going to the gym (membership so again payment once a year)
    -budgeted spends ie grocery,toiletries,cat food.I have a budget for everything.
    - cinema trips (again yearly spend for cinema card)
    -prescriptions,as essential.
    - all bills ie rent,medical insurance,leccy,etc. as essential

Some people don't count petrol,bread...it's up to you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by marmiterulesok; 25-09-2016 at 9:17 AM.
    NSD September 6/10
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 19th Sep 16, 10:11 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    ab_saver
    • 19th Sep 16, 10:11 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 10:11 PM
    Thanks @marmiterulesok!

Today was a low spend day - but planned(ish).
    Spent £4.25.

£2 into the monthly work tea fund (unlimited so a good investment)
    £2.25 for a coffee (points for it not on my card yet - if they appear next one should be free)

Aiming for NSDs every day except Wednesday from now to a week on Wednesday (payday ) - if I manage it it'd be a total of 8....
    DFW - aiming to be clear Nov '16__________ NSDs Sept 16 6/7 Oct 16 1/18_____ October supermarket challenge £0/40
    £1000 emergency fund #208 - £5.93/ 1000 _ Next: 10k towards a house deposit by mid 2018!
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 19th Sep 16, 11:11 PM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 32,406 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Thanks @marmiterulesok!

Today was a low spend day - but planned(ish).
    Spent £4.25.

£2 into the monthly work tea fund (unlimited so a good investment)
    £2.25 for a coffee (points for it not on my card yet - if they appear next one should be free)

Aiming for NSDs every day except Wednesday from now to a week on Wednesday (payday ) - if I manage it it'd be a total of 8....
    Looking good!
    NSD September 6/10
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 19th Sep 16, 11:12 PM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 32,406 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Yesterday was #1,today is #2.
    NSD September 6/10
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 19th Sep 16, 11:33 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    ab_saver
    This is essentially a dry run - next couple of months are going to have to be predominantly NSDs - I'm talking 5-6 a week excluding bills. Allowing myself some spends whilst on holiday but hoping that 20 of the 25 remaining days (payday to payday rather than calendar month will be NSDs... It's worth a go anyway...
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 20th Sep 16, 1:04 AM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 32,406 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    This is essentially a dry run - next couple of months are going to have to be predominantly NSDs - I'm talking 5-6 a week excluding bills. Allowing myself some spends whilst on holiday but hoping that 20 of the 25 remaining days (payday to payday rather than calendar month will be NSDs... It's worth a go anyway...
    Sounds good!

You sound like a budding moth cultivator.
    NSD September 6/10
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 20th Sep 16, 10:55 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    ab_saver
    NSD #1 today
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 21st Sep 16, 10:12 AM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 32,406 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    NSD #1 today
    Yay!!!!!

Yesterday was #3 for me.
    NSD September 6/10
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 21st Sep 16, 10:14 AM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 32,406 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Today will hopefully be #4.
    NSD September 6/10
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 21st Sep 16, 9:43 PM
    • 8,581 Posts
    • 51,275 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Helloooooo! Anybody at home? I hear there's a new NSD challenge round here? Not sure how to go about this as I have been a bit lax in recent months, but suppose I could try for a few NSDs between now and the end of the month......ok, marmite, let's say 4 NSDs? Now to sit down and work out my rules of the game!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

September NSDs. 3 of 4
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 21st Sep 16, 11:13 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    ab_saver
    Today was a (big) spend day and have agreed to go out on Saturday so that'll be a spend day too. My new month starts in a week so aiming for every day except Saturday to be NSD.

Hello Nargleblast - nice to have some more company
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 22nd Sep 16, 7:24 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    ab_saver
    NSD #2 today! Hoping for another tomorrow.
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 22nd Sep 16, 9:01 PM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 32,406 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Helloooooo! Anybody at home? I hear there's a new NSD challenge round here? Not sure how to go about this as I have been a bit lax in recent months, but suppose I could try for a few NSDs between now and the end of the month......ok, marmite, let's say 4 NSDs? Now to sit down and work out my rules of the game!
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    Yes,I'm back and raring to get some control on my car crash financial situation,so have resurrected The Much Beloved and Sorely Missed NSD Challenge!
    Nice to see you Nargle.How are the Narglehounds faring?Out hunting again soon no doubt?

Let's see if I can rummage up a nice cuppa for us all.

Today was a (big) spend day and have agreed to go out on Saturday so that'll be a spend day too. My new month starts in a week so aiming for every day except Saturday to be NSD.

Hello Nargleblast - nice to have some more company
    Well,spend days do happen from time to time....It sounds like you're well organised though,which is sometimes half the battle.

NSD #2 today! Hoping for another tomorrow.
    Very good!
    NSD September 6/10
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,495Posts Today

6,687Users online

Martin's Twitter