Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 705Posts
    • 488Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt!
    • 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt! 10th Sep 16 at 11:35 AM
    Hi guys!

I had a debt-free diary that started in 2014 and so much has changed in my life since that it's time to start fresh with some new ideas.

I work full-time, live alone in a flat that I privately rent, have a car and not many commitments. I will do an outline of my costs in the next post.

I am currently taking some exams via my job that will result in a much better paid position. I do usertesting when I have some free time so supplement my income, I'm a bit of an eBay whiz & I've been on a mission to reduce my food waste and utilise my full size freezer.

I owe £450 on a credit card, this is from some new clothes I desperately needed, my home insurance renewal & a couple of trips to a wholesaler to buy some bulk items. I also 'owe' my grandmother £6,000,00, this my flat deposit, some of my moving fees and my car. This doesn't need to be paid back any time soon, I had started paying it off but needed the money during a brief period of unemployment.

I look forward to starting a new journey!
    Credit Card Balance: 1195.54 £956.12
    Christmas Shopping: £30 Amazon £30 Argos £10 Tesco
    Deposit & First Month's Rent Debt£200.50
Page 9
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 18th Apr 17, 12:05 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    I ended things with my boyfriend yesterday, no hard feelings, very amicable, we just work better as friends! Iím in a positive headspace about it and very excited to see what the next few months bring.

Iíve paid my holiday deposit of £27.50 to secure our accommodation, my nan gave me £20 for easter as a treat so that basically covered it. I have a designer suit to list on eBay this evening and a BNWT Zara dress, anything raised from this will be put in the holiday pot (which currently has £20 in it). I sold a clothing rail on gumtree yesterday to cover the costs of my Ďman with vaní service I have booked for Sunday and the lady turned up with wrong cash (very calculated and horrid of her) Iíd said Iíd like £30 for it, I ended up saying Iíd accept the £20 cash she had and she said sheíd paypal me the other £10Ö Iím not stupid and that obviously will not happen. People are just so dishonest and sneaky sometimes! I need to list my fridge this evening as the landlady at my new place wonít allow me to remove hers, itís a shame as it was a real bargain and a reliable appliance. My washing machine has sold for £190 (a really good price for it) and the man is collecting it on Sunday, I just need to fish the warranty information out. This £190 is going straight in my holiday fund, that and the £20 already in there covers the accommodation, just flights/eurostar and spending to go then!

I planned my finances to within an inch of their life on Sunday and I feel much better. Iím moving very fast at work and have gained momentum on getting signed off which will hopefully mean more pay soon (I know this sounds greedy but I NEED to earn more so Iím not struggling, I am getting there).

I spent £34 on a friend yesterday, heís recently moved to London and had *no* food in his house, he doesnít have any family to help him out and was saying heís struggling. He asked me to help and Iíd have said no to anyone else but heís got a special place in my heart for the support heís given me this year and the fact he literally has no family. Heís paying me back on the 25th when his freelance pay clears, I trust he will do so and itís a situation where if he forgets to it wouldnít be awkward to ask for it back (which I will definitely be doing as I put it on my credit card and will want to pay it back off again).
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 18th Apr 17, 1:56 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Turns out the washing machine money covers the accommodation AND my transport
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 4th May 17, 12:00 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Long time no update! It's been a bit of mania for me.

I have moved home, I am officially all set up in my new property and the last thing to do is set up my Gas and Electricity (that I'm doing today) and also resolve the ongoing issue I'm having with my internet (which I am at the tail-end of now) I expect to have internet by around the 1st June (gosh, such a long time with no net and no extra income from freelance as a result!). All my other bills have been transferred over, I've just filed for my deposit back from my old place, this was less £30 admin for the check-out so a return of £795.00.

In terms of moving costs it hasn't been too desperate, my mum kindly let me borrow my deposit, first months' rent and an interim payment to make my rental date the 1st of each month. This was laid out as follows: £625.00 deposit, £625.00 first months' rent, £220 admin fees, £203.50 extra days to make my standing order date 1st of each month. I paid my mum the £625.00 first month's rent back already and she's getting all £795.00 of my previous deposit so the remainder is: £253.50. I was already paying my Mum £50 per month for my MOT and repair costs of my old vehicle and these are now paid up, she has agreed to just let me continue at £50 per month for the time being so in 5 months I won't owe her anything.

My credit card is sitting under £1000 still so I'm happy with that considering the burden of the costs of moving which are always more than you think. I've also managed to put away £200.00 for my holiday to France by selling some old items. I have a designer label suit I'll be listing on eBay on Sunday that I expect to make a minimum of £50.00. This £50.00 is going in my holiday fund as I'd like to not feel so worried about upcoming costs.

I've bought a desk using vouchers, a second-hand table with 2 benches that I'm painting with my mum in a few weeks and I paid for a picture to be framed professionally and that's about the only things I've had to really buy myself outside of my usual groceries etc. Everything is actually looking pretty good for me! For the next few months I'll only be paying the minimum payment on my credit card as it's 0.00% interest and I need a bit of breathing space with my new rental payment and the addition of a PCP payment for my car. Other than that financially I feel pretty good! How are you all doing?
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 12th May 17, 3:57 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    coastalchick
    hey sauce - great that you've moved and hope you will be much happier there now! you've done really well with your moving costs as moving is always so expensive!!!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 17th May 17, 10:40 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Long-time no update again! TBH, Iíve been stressed the past couple of weeks and itís reflected in my finances, lots of take-aways and general unnecessary spending. I had a bit of a wake-up call last night (literally, a very expensive picture frame fell off my wall and smashed in the middle of the night) and decided I need to get a grip. Iíve been letting everything get on top of me so I made a to-do list, moving house hasnít helped. Iíve a GP appointment to discuss an MRI today, whilst there Iím going to ask if I can go back on medication to help with my mood. Iím not depressed but I do feel Iím heading that way (mood swings, tearful, not sleeping, not wanting to come to work).

Dread to think what my credit card balance is but Iím drawing a line in the sand. My phone bill is going to be huge this month but thankfully I have £25 of cashback in my quidco account, Iíll use that towards the bill and I STILL havenít listed that suit on eBay so thatís being done tonight. Iím due a refund from Bristol Energy now that my account is closed as my final reads were less than the previous bill estimates, donít yet know how Iíll allocate this.

Payday plan is as follows:

£1,555.60 Net
    £625.00 Rent
    £25.00 Water Rates
    £153.00 Car
    £29.70 iPhone Unshackled Bill
    £100.00 Mum
    £100.00 Credit Card
    £18.99 Internet
    £200.00 food shopping (need to do a huge shop and buy everything!)

At the moment, no council tax has been set up as I keep trying to notify them and canít get through, going to have to sort this for next month. Also no gas and electric, today Iím phoning Scottish Power who were the previous supplier at my new house, just need to get an account number and then switch away right away to a different provider.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 17th May 17, 7:16 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    coastalchick
    hey Sauce. You've been doing really well and we all have melt downs from time to time, and great you've had a moment of clarity. You'll get back on track x
    • ada-or-ardor
    • By ada-or-ardor 17th May 17, 8:24 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    ada-or-ardor
    So annoying about your lovely picture!! Chin up, everyone has a blip now and again, and moving is so stressful, I think anyone would be having a few takeaways!!! Try not to be too hard on yourself, you sound like you really have it together, identifying your weak moments and getting onto your GP about low moods :-)

Ada
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 18th May 17, 9:54 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    In a much better mood today, thanks for your positivity! I went and got my nails done last night after my GP appointment (which was filled with GOOD news). Then went and stayed at my sort-of romantic interestís house and we had a nice night watching Louis Theroux in bed, just what the doctor ordered. I got up super early today with him and popped back to mine to get ready and walked in to the office feeling positive. Had a more positive afternoon at work yesterday and Iím back on top of my Ďlife adminí. Getting an £80 council tax refund that I can apply to my new bill (should come in todayís post) and got an e-mail saying Iím already at £8.00 Christmas Savers with my clubcard points. Sorted out my Gas and Electric, initially the direct debit will be for £51 a month but this will reduce down in 3 months once theyíve assessed my usage, as I now have economy 7 and given I only really use electric (TV, washing machine etc.) at night anyway it should hopefully come back down again. Took photos of the suit this morning and will list that on eBay on my lunch break, will aim for the auction to finish next Saturday. Out for dinner tonight with friends for a birthday, last treat of this month and in 10 days when Iím paid I need to be really sensible about allocating my money for the month. This weekend I donít have many plans, drinks with a friend tomorrow evening and joining some birthday drinks a bit later. No plans on Saturday (lie-in and housework and getting that picture re-framed, wish I could afford to have it done professionally again but itíll have to be a DIY job in a discount store frame) and then Sunday Iím going to pop to my friendís caf! in a nearby town to have brunch with him.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 18th May 17, 10:54 AM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 10,975 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Just caught up with your diary and wow! You're amazing!

Hope your health is better now?

Your new house sounds lovely and here's to happiness and peaceful sleep x

DFW £223.71/£7348.71
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    Rent Arrears £16.28 /£3381.28
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 23rd May 17, 9:52 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Itís only a few days till payday which seems crazy! Iím currently struck by a bit of a rotter of a cold that I caught from my colleague, our work hygiene could obviously do with some updating, the cleaner only comes once a week I think and the door handles etc. arenít cleaned very often so when one person gets ill in this place we all do. 4 of us are now under with it. Iíve offered to come in on the weekends in June and clear some of our scanning backlog and my bosses have said theyíll pay me (and a friend) to do it, discussing it today in a meeting. Great opportunity to do some overtime and Iíll use whatever additional money it makes me 50% credit card and 50% holiday spending money as itíll soon be September! The work is basic scanning and I can just pop some music on and get on with it whilst having a catch up with my friend.

I borrowed £40 from my Mum last week to stop me being in an overdraft unintentionally (a bit of bad planning for me and means I wonít get my everyday rewards next month, boo), paid her that back this morning as I got my cashback payout and my council tax refund. I need to call Bristol energy on my break today and ask them where the heck my final bill and refund is. Unbelievably bad service. Iíve paid a chunk off my huge Talk Mobile bill so itís not going to be as nasty on payday, I think there is about £50 left to pay.

Payday plan is now in place, itís looking good. I was really worried moving in to this new place was going to ruin my financial situation but itís not too terrible to be honest. My main focus as always is getting my credit card under control. I think doing some overtime is the first step on the road but Iím not beating myself up too much, itís a relatively low balance compared to what I see day in, day out at work and if it came down to it there are things I could sell and do to pay it off in one go, Iím just reluctant to do that when itís 0% interest.

Iíve got a golden retriever coming to stay with me for 2 nights this weekend, heís a friendsí dog and sheís off on holiday. Iím ridiculously excited. Iím also going to Cambridge on Monday to have my hair done (half-highlight foils and a graduating cut) as my friend is interviewing at a new salon and needed a model. I pray he doesnít ruin my hair but know heís a professional so it wonít be awful (plus with highlights at least I can dye it darker after if I hate it).
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 23rd May 17, 6:27 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    coastalchick
    glad you are sounding more positive Sauce! x
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 24th May 17, 5:19 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Thanks CoastalChick! Just about to catch up on your diary!

Having a quiet one at home tonight, Iím going to go home and open all my windows, put some washing on and locate a chair for my new desk on gumtree so I can finally go and sit in my office in the evenings and do my usertesting. Bumped in to my old next door neighbour last night and she took my number to go for a coffee, she was SO nice and Iím glad she feels we got along well enough to be friends! I always welcome nice positive ladies in to my life!

Posted an eBay dress off today (extremely late) so Iíve partially refunded the postage for the buyer, got there and the postage was cheap anyway so win-win.

Cannot wait for payday now. Got to get everything back to normal! Finally listed that suit on eBay, hopefully itíll cover my talk mobile bill thatís due. Spoke to Bristol energy as well and theyíre issuing a refund within the next 10 working days, they had a glitch on my final bill which has apparently been sorted. Also talktalk got my final bill right which was a complete miracle so donít need to chase them.

Made a form today for all my friends Iím going on holiday with, running through it with them on Saturday at our friendsí BBQ. Using it to gather info for the travel insurance Iím arranging but also so that I have everyoneís details and emergency contacts etc. to take with us. Iím super organised and everyone has agreed Iím the Mum of the group so it only seems fitting. Know it might seem overkill but one of our group did break his back in France and I want everyone to be covered for theft and health! Weíre almost at the point to book our travel and I have also compiled a list of all the things everyone has said theyíd like to do and their approximate prices so we can make some plans and potentially book a few bits on Julyís payday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,592Posts Today

8,907Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin