Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 705Posts
    • 489Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt!
    • 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt! 10th Sep 16 at 11:35 AM
    Hi guys!

I had a debt-free diary that started in 2014 and so much has changed in my life since that it's time to start fresh with some new ideas.

I work full-time, live alone in a flat that I privately rent, have a car and not many commitments. I will do an outline of my costs in the next post.

I am currently taking some exams via my job that will result in a much better paid position. I do usertesting when I have some free time so supplement my income, I'm a bit of an eBay whiz & I've been on a mission to reduce my food waste and utilise my full size freezer.

I owe £450 on a credit card, this is from some new clothes I desperately needed, my home insurance renewal & a couple of trips to a wholesaler to buy some bulk items. I also 'owe' my grandmother £6,000,00, this my flat deposit, some of my moving fees and my car. This doesn't need to be paid back any time soon, I had started paying it off but needed the money during a brief period of unemployment.

I look forward to starting a new journey!
    Credit Card Balance: 1195.54 £956.12
    Christmas Shopping: £30 Amazon £30 Argos £10 Tesco
    Deposit & First Month's Rent Debt£200.50
Page 7
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 2nd Mar 17, 2:03 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Credit rating is back up to 939/999!!!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 4th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Had a hospital appointment yesterday and my doctor told me I need to lose a stone. This, to me, is ludicrous. I am slim, I'm about to take the gym back up and I eat home-made food and get my vitamins in. Losing a stone would put me back in to the underweight realms and I am confused as to why he told me this. It really shocked me and now I don't know if I have some form of body dysmorphia and maybe I'm a whale but think I'm a dolphin

When I got in my car after my appointment it completely died a couple of times, I called AA out to my office and the recovery man said it's gone completely and it's potentially a write-off. Cue me having a full and complete emotional breakdown at my desk and sobbing in the office, just thinking the entire 'what am I going to do?' thoughts set me off. I am completely mortified, humiliated and annoyed at myself for doing that, it's not only unprofessional but occurring the working day before my annual appraisal. Cross at myself doesn't even cut the way I'm feeling about it. Work is just so busy and stressful at the moment and I really dislike one of my colleagues who is making my life SO hard on top. I can't really put in to words how unwell I've been feeling, my ex-boyfriend has been trying to meddle in my new potential relationship (another story for another time!), my PGCE application still isn't submitted and I am so overwhelmed at the moment. I've been climbing an uphill battle for four years as a single, independent person. It's getting to the point where I am just so exhausted doing this alone.

I've since calmed down quite a bit.... I went out for a very big dance last night with friends and I've woken up this morning and done lots of jobs. I'm just about to get ready and go and get my nails done as I've broken one and need infills. It makes me feel good and I'm looking forward to doing that. I've got a guy coming to look at my car tomorrow, he said it could be two sensors judging by the fault record the AA guy sent me from the call-out so he's ordered them in just in case and will fit them at home if it is that, he said otherwise it's the transmission and the car won't be worth repairing.

Some positive things:
    I did my LIDL shop and I have loads of meat portioned up in my freezer and fruit etc. It came to £60, add the £30.12 I spent on deodorant, face wash, conditioner and carpet cleaner that is half my budget for the month used up. However i'll only need a couple smaller shops for the rest of this month so I'm pretty on track.

Tomorrow I am getting breakfast with my friend at 11am, just us. I'm buying as it was his birthday but I worked too late to make it to his party. He's a great egg!

In two weeks I can get my new phone, the contract will be for 16gb a month so I won't have to keep paying for more data like I have done for the past year or so, I get a new phone that actually works and I'll sell my old one that needs a new screen on eBay and use the money towards my CC. Yay!

I have confirmed a school for experience for my week off in 3 weeks, at which point I will be able to submit my full PGCE application. I want to get it submitted ASAP so I need to get cracking next weekend and have everything else done and dusted so once the school experience is over I can just click the button!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    My friend cancelled breakfast yesterday (me thinks he may have been too hungover). I went out for dinner with a few friends instead and made eggs benedict at home for breakfast for me and my new boy as an alternative. I got my nails done Saturday, had them filed right down so that they’ll last me the rest of the month (3 weeks and 1 day till payday, HA). Got my appraisal today, here’s hoping it doesn’t get cancelled as I’ve got some serious issues to raise!

I need to plan financially for the rest of the month, I’ll do this this evening and will also take my gas metre read as I’ve not done that in a while (usually I do it every month). My car is still completely ruined and I’m not sure how best to tackle that so I’ll need to really think about the next step this week (if my car makes it through the week that is!).
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Mar 17, 10:42 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    I put £10 in my lottery account today, I do this once a year on the same day and I checked my diary and today was the day. I played a few scratchcard games and turned my £10 in to £15. I've now withdrawn that £15 and have just made a £5 payment off my credit card. Thanks national lottery for helping me with my debt
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 9th Mar 17, 9:34 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    I’ve had a significant pay-rise at work! It’s really going to help me live a bit better. As a result I am able to take out a new car on some form of finance (and still have more money at the end of every month) here comes the big debate over HP, PCP, PHP, Unsecured Loan etc. etc. I’ll trade my car in as a deposit. I’m going to look at fords, Toyotas and VW’s on Saturday and then the new smart car on Sunday.

I spoke to my family member last night who has been responsible for lending me money. She has written off £2,550 of my debt as it was for moving to Surrey and she said that she had put that money aside for university for me and I refused to accept it so please can I accept it now when I need it more. I am extremely grateful for both her generosity and graciousness. That means I only owe her £3,450.00 as opposed to £6,000.00 and she’s in no hurry for the £3,450 back. My new salary is certainly going to help shift my debts a bit faster so I can start squirrelling that money away and get it back to her *FINALLY*.

It feels like things are starting to come good for me. I’ve struggled and struggled for so long and maybe now I won’t be a slave to my car.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 13th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Car shopping done, new car reserved, haggling to commence on my lunch break, I’m trying to get the dealer to match a £500 incentive on a similar car from a different brand… then I can have the £500 cash to pay for the change in insurance, GAP insurance and a payment off my credit card. Hopefully by 2pm today the car will be sorted leaving just insurance and GAP insurance to sort out.

Must MUST do a gas metre read tonight, have been sending the electricity readings like an angel but the gas metre is a nightmare to get to so I’ve been lazy.

Also have a parking ticket for parking in a loading bay to drop something off, I even put a note on the windscreen to say I was dropping off an item and would return within 15 minutes but they ticketed me anyway saying I'd been there for 17 minutes (for goodness sake), I’ve tried to fight it but they’re saying I didn’t have a note in the window (even though you can SEE it on the photo evidence) and I was outside the time by 2 minutes *rolls eyes* so I need to pay that tonight (£35… ugh!!!! Absolute criminals when I was literally LOADING as it's supposed to be used for).

Need to do some usertests like I did last month, that extra money came in really handy.. Aim of the game is to re-earn that parking ticket and an extra £10 off the credit card.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 13th Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Haggled an additional £250 off of the dealership. They’re giving this to me cash, it will pay for my GAP insurance and the fees for switching cars on my current car insurance (which runs till November).

I’ve e-mailed my current insurer today as I found a certificate when checking I had all my car registration documents, it states the botched repairs the insurer’s mechanic carried out after my accident were covered for three years. As a result I’ve forwarded my insurer the invoice from my MOT stating the suspension and tracking needed replacement and have asked them to please let me know how they intend to resolve the issue. The suspension and tracking were apparently all replaced following my accident so hopefully they will now rebate me some of my car repair costs….
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 15th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hey guys!

Bit quiet in here at the moment, hoping it's because you're all busy bees like me! Work is absolute mania for me at the moment, feels like I can't even stop to breathe sometimes.

I've just answered loads of queries about my car finance, hoping that it all gets approved first time, it'll be a weight off for me knowing it's all sorted... I've been sending all the paperwork back and answers to questions as soon as they come in to keep the process ticking along.

I saw Logan at the cinema last night, I got meerkat movies and my boyfriend (sort-of boyfriend, anyway) paid for it all which was such a lovely treat as we usually stay in or just have free tea/coffee at our favourite bar where he used to work. Loved the film!

13 days till payday, I can't wait... It feels so good getting my debts paid off. Can't wait to see that credit card disappear.

OH and I don't know if I mentioned but my council tax bill has been reduced by £9 per month this year, which means £9 extra paid off the credit card, this might not sound like a lot but over 12 months that is £108 extra so not to be ignored really! The difference between my new car per month and the payrise is £23 so that's also another £276 per year to chuck at the credit card. Plus I no longer have to worry about an MOT for the next 3 years and it's free car tax so another £20 off the CC that would have been paid on car tax.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 16th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    So I need to make a plan on how I'm going to manage for the rest of this month. It's 12 days until payday and I only have £75.00 in the bank. My plan is £20.00 at LIDL tonight on the way home from work (running total of £55), then £20 put aside for afternoon tea next weekend (pays for mine and half of mums) (running total £35), £10 for fuel (not filling my car up as new one arrives before 1st April (running total £25), £5 for the work sweepstake for Cheltenham (this annoys me but I have to participate, running total £20), £20 for fun spends (no more alcohol = no more money wasted though which helps).

Tonight is my highly mentioned usertesting night so hopefully that'll rake in some extra cash, plus on Sunday I'm clearing out everything from under my bed (sad that I have planned to do this) and I'll have the time to list things on eBay.
    • chrizy75
    • By chrizy75 16th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    chrizy75
    Hi Sauce,

Just spent about an hour reading through your little diary and I have to say that despite all the crap you have been through (and I can definitely relate to you in that area!!) you have stayed very positive and focused on your goals which I find truly inspiring! You really deserved that pay raise and new car (what did you end up buying?)

From a males perspective I wanted to say that I really felt for you in regard to the way your ex-boyfriend treated you and feel you definitely deserved much better!! I hope it all works out for you with your new romantic interest!

Anyway just wanted to say hi and keep up the financial plan....every little helps.

Good luck

Chris

PS, if you want to earn a few more extra pennies a really good paying survey site is PopulusLive, I earn about £50 every 3 months or so.
    Last edited by chrizy75; 16-03-2017 at 9:11 PM. Reason: added something
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 17th Mar 17, 9:36 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hi Sauce,

Just spent about an hour reading through your little diary and I have to say that despite all the crap you have been through (and I can definitely relate to you in that area!!) you have stayed very positive and focused on your goals which I find truly inspiring! You really deserved that pay raise and new car (what did you end up buying?)

From a males perspective I wanted to say that I really felt for you in regard to the way your ex-boyfriend treated you and feel you definitely deserved much better!! I hope it all works out for you with your new romantic interest!

Anyway just wanted to say hi and keep up the financial plan....every little helps.

Good luck

Chris

PS, if you want to earn a few more extra pennies a really good paying survey site is PopulusLive, I earn about £50 every 3 months or so.
    Originally posted by chrizy75
    Aw! Thanks so much That means a lot. The last 6 months have really weighed heavily on me and I've been feeling really anxious for the past week or so, it's lovely to read such a friendly message!

I went for an AYGO by Toyota! Though the finance man is just ignoring me at the moment so who knows if I am actually getting it before the tax changes

I'll check that survey site out, sounds good!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 17th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    I didnít go to the supermarket for fruit and veg as planned last night, I made dinner from stuff I had in the cupboards/freezer, had a bath, did a load of laundry and then had a long phone conversation with my (sort-of) boyfriend where I told him how Iím feeling (bless him, heís completely harmless but also a bit clueless ). He feels really bad which wasnít my intention and is now asking me when he can see me, I explained Iím 24, have a great group of friends and itís Thursday night so why on earth would I not have made plans for my weekendÖ He just didnít realise he was making me feel like a bit of a melon! I then did cave and asked if we could watch a film at his on Saturday night (and tbh I really want to clean his bathroom so I can stay over and feel confident Iím not going to catch the plague fron his boys only gross shower hahah)!

Iíve had anxiety for the past week or so, sometimes very minor and other times very majorÖ. Iím not really an anxious person so I havenít enjoyed the past week at all and it took me three or four days to actually figure out what this feeling of not being able to breathe and panic was!

My friend called me last night amongst everything and begged me to visit him in NYC, heís desperate for some company as heís been unemployed for a year due to his visa meaning he can only work in theatre and his husband is leaving him at Easter to go visit his friends in LA. Iím going to try and find a way to afford it, I just need a bit of time this weekend to look at everything seriously.

I did a usertest for $15 last night, first step towards my parking ticket, achieved! £4.35 everyday rewards were paid to me today (wahoo), so Iím just paying £4.35 off my credit card as I promised I would. My mobile phone is switching to Pay as you go on Monday but I want to try and wait until my car finance is sorted before I then take out a new contract.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 17th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Car Finance in place! Woo! New phone just ordered, contract is £37.29 per month and the amount of data I get has tripled which means no more spending loads of money for extra data... I've paid an additional £20-£30 per month for the past year because i never have enough data. Phone delivered tomorrow, my current one will be listed on eBay this evening with a sell date of next Friday so I can post it after work. The money it makes will be used half credit card and half debt to mum.
    • chrizy75
    • By chrizy75 17th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    chrizy75
    Car Finance in place! Woo! New phone just ordered, contract is £37.29 per month and the amount of data I get has tripled which means no more spending loads of money for extra data... I've paid an additional £20-£30 per month for the past year because i never have enough data. Phone delivered tomorrow, my current one will be listed on eBay this evening with a sell date of next Friday so I can post it after work. The money it makes will be used half credit card and half debt to mum.
    Originally posted by sauceoclock
    Well done Sauce you deserved it!!

You will have to add a picture of it to your next post.
    This just shows that a few changes to improve your credit rating can really pay off!
    New car and new phone woo-hoo...living the dream!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 17th Mar 17, 3:45 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    annnnd I just won the Cheltenham sweepstake at work! £55!!! That's my parking ticket and my nan's birthday flowers paid for. Perhaps I'm in for some good luck!!!!
    • chrizy75
    • By chrizy75 17th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    chrizy75
    annnnd I just won the Cheltenham sweepstake at work! £55!!! That's my parking ticket and my nan's birthday flowers paid for. Perhaps I'm in for some good luck!!!!
    Definitely living the dream!!!! Congrats!!

Quick while the going is good use your change and put a line on the lottery!! Not that I am condoning gambling in anyway before somebody points it out.....remember to always gamble responsibly folks and don't bet what you can't afford. haha

Hope the good luck continues......................
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 19th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    So I've sold my old phone for £150, need to post it (tracked, eek not cheap) tomorrow, I've factory reset it.

Today I woke up with a poorly mouth so had to go to the dentist.. £19.70 later there is nothing wrong with me.... *rolls eyes*..... hahaha V annoyed about that.

Went to Aldi on my way home from the dentist and bought £13 of fruit, veggies and supplies. Just made a HUGE lasagne for lunches this week, so that's some money saved. About to log on and pay my parking ticket *DOUBLE ROLLS EYES*
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 20th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    wellylass89
    Just caught up Sauce, great to hear you got a new car sorted and things with the fella are going well

Welly x
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 21st Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Only 4 more working days until a whole week off, Iím going to sleep in every morning and I hope itís nice and sunny so I can spend some time with my boyfriend outside!

I think I might be cursed, I wonder if you guys agree?! Wherever Iíve lived, Iíve always had AWFUL upstairs neighbours, and by awful I donít just mean a bit noisy now and again, I mean absolutely dreadful. Sunday night at midnight they started fighting, so loudly it actually woke me from a fairly deep sleep, it went on for 2 hours before I phoned the police because I was worried for the safety of his girlfriend as he is HUGE and she was shouting for help, for him to get off her, asking for her phone back so she could call her mum and go home, telling him to unlock the door and saying she doesnít want to be around him when heís high like this. He was taken away by the police and seemingly returned yesterday afternoon as last night he came and shouted at me through my door as I guess heís worked out it was me who called the police. I canít live this way, I worked a 10 hour day on 3 hours sleep yesterday because of their stupid selfish behaviour and now I have a sore throat and headache today from tiredness. Iíve spoken to my landlord and he canít do anything and even had the audacity to ask me if now would be a good time to sign a new 6 month AST(!!!) I said absolutely not until this drama has all settled down. In actuality, I feel extremely unsafe with a nutty drug-user who has it in for me living in my building and I donít want to live like a prisoner with all my windows and doors locked because heís a psycho. I think the best and safest option here is to move, which I canít afford and donít want to do particularly. Iíll be going to look at some places in my week off and hopefully I can find a private landlord.
    • chrizy75
    • By chrizy75 21st Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    chrizy75
    Only 4 more working days until a whole week off, Iím going to sleep in every morning and I hope itís nice and sunny so I can spend some time with my boyfriend outside!

I think I might be cursed, I wonder if you guys agree?! Wherever Iíve lived, Iíve always had AWFUL upstairs neighbours, and by awful I donít just mean a bit noisy now and again, I mean absolutely dreadful. Sunday night at midnight they started fighting, so loudly it actually woke me from a fairly deep sleep, it went on for 2 hours before I phoned the police because I was worried for the safety of his girlfriend as he is HUGE and she was shouting for help, for him to get off her, asking for her phone back so she could call her mum and go home, telling him to unlock the door and saying she doesnít want to be around him when heís high like this. He was taken away by the police and seemingly returned yesterday afternoon as last night he came and shouted at me through my door as I guess heís worked out it was me who called the police. I canít live this way, I worked a 10 hour day on 3 hours sleep yesterday because of their stupid selfish behaviour and now I have a sore throat and headache today from tiredness. Iíve spoken to my landlord and he canít do anything and even had the audacity to ask me if now would be a good time to sign a new 6 month AST(!!!) I said absolutely not until this drama has all settled down. In actuality, I feel extremely unsafe with a nutty drug-user who has it in for me living in my building and I donít want to live like a prisoner with all my windows and doors locked because heís a psycho. I think the best and safest option here is to move, which I canít afford and donít want to do particularly. Iíll be going to look at some places in my week off and hopefully I can find a private landlord.
    Hi Sauce,

I would definitely not think of yourself as "cursed" as this is only a road to despair and is not how anyone should live!
    However, think of it as a sign that this has happened just before you sign for another 6 months and like you said take the time to look for another place in your week off (at least you are not tied to your current flat at present).
    I really do hope you find a nice place to live, £550p/m could get you a decent rental where I live near Manchester.
    Good luck with the search.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

204Posts Today

2,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin