Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 902Posts
    • 1,033Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt!
    • 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt! 10th Sep 16 at 11:35 AM
    Hi guys!

I had a debt-free diary that started in 2014 and so much has changed in my life since that it's time to start fresh with some new ideas.

I work full-time, live alone in a flat that I privately rent, have a car and not many commitments. I will do an outline of my costs in the next post.

I am currently taking some exams via my job that will result in a much better paid position. I do usertesting when I have some free time so supplement my income, I'm a bit of an eBay whiz & I've been on a mission to reduce my food waste and utilise my full size freezer.

I owe £450 on a credit card, this is from some new clothes I desperately needed, my home insurance renewal & a couple of trips to a wholesaler to buy some bulk items. I also 'owe' my grandmother £6,000,00, this my flat deposit, some of my moving fees and my car. This doesn't need to be paid back any time soon, I had started paying it off but needed the money during a brief period of unemployment.

I look forward to starting a new journey!
    Loan: £3,600 £2,242.46
    Credit Card: £1,758.95 £1,458.95
    Goal Debt-Free Date: February 2019
    Rainy-Day £6,000: £701
Page 18
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 14th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Happy Valentines! I bought my OH a pair of expensive socks and a card from an etsy seller. He has already had the socks and will give him the card when I get home. Had an electric coffee grinder delivered to work today as weíve been hand grinding our coffee beans (cheaper to buy it in bean form than pre-ground for us), my OH is the only one who drinks it but Iím sick of the sight of our ugly and painfully taxing grinderÖ. So Iím thinking I might give him that as an extra valentines gift rather than just plonk it down on the worktop (usually I wouldnít bother for valentines because Iím on a budget and find it all a bit silly). I had a real go over my finances yesterday evening and made some choices. Iíve arranged a £150 loan payment to come out on Friday (will be applied to the balance by Monday), I did this because sometimes itís better to have money in your bank account and others itís better to have money beating down interest earning debt! I will of course reimburse myself next month when my OH pays his bills Ė he is going to be paid weekly for the first 3 months of his new job so we wonít suddenly have a long period with no income and can spend a few months planning for when he swaps over to monthly salary credits. I spent £59 on toiletries as my previous post stated but then another item sold on eBay for £40 net which Iíve received today and transferred back in to the emergency fund combatting that cost (OH now only owes me £93 down from £940 a few weeks ago, huge!). Iíve sponsored a colleague running the marathon for £10 and Iíve contributed £5 of my little birthday fund to a colleagueís birthday. I have a new habit where I put all my £5 notes in my desk draw to accommodate for staff birthdayís and thatíll hopefully start to help going forward as Iíve been stung in the past by not budgeting a birthday in to my finances.

Out to a gig and dinner tomorrow, Mr is arranging it because I will be honest I have nagged that we donít ever do anything unless I sort it out and just sit on the sofa all the time Ė lovely heís taking initiative. Heís asked me to book a week off work in April and I have no clue what for and heís in cahoots with my best friend so no doubt itís something funÖ. Hard to let go of control because Iím the one who organises this stuff and budgets for it usually!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 19th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Loan overpayment yet to clear off of my loan, itíll be tomorrow now (grr, hate how long it takes to apply funds to my balance, another day of interest on the higher balance!!).

OH has gone away until Friday Ė trying to see it as an opportunity to get some things done. Going to use my time out of work this week to get the house decluttered fully, weíve been doing well so far. The only things that remain are things like Ďcut back the front-gardení Ďde-clutter shedí etc. which require good weather (of which we have had very little). Tonight Iím going to be packing up some books that I want to store as Iíve read them but donít want to get rid of them, Iíll be getting a plastic storage box from the shed to do this.

Lunch today is leftover spinach pasta in a creamy sauce, I intend to put the washing on when Iím home ready for when I finish work and then put away the stuff that is now dry. Dinner tonight will also be leftover pasta as there was quite a lot left to eat. Going to try and get a couple of hours in front of my SAD lamp this evening whilst I revise for an exam, it really makes me feel energised and awake!

Had a spendy weekend . We had a takeaway Saturday for dinner as we are both under the weather and had spent all day doing really rubbish cleaning tasks so werenít up for cooking. OH put £20 of fuel in my car because heís whizzed it about a bit lately which was much appreciated (though I did give him £20 cash last night for his journey to training today, being vegan means he doesnít get much in best western hotels). This week should be a no-spender! Weíve got food in the house for me to munch my way through. Weíre stocked up on toiletries and Iíve bought some of the things on our list we wanted for the house. Iím sure one evening I can forego revising to do a couple of usertests as I only do them when OH is out of the house and we could use the extra cash.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,275Posts Today

7,300Users online

Martin's Twitter