Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 860Posts
    • 919Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt!
    • 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt! 10th Sep 16 at 11:35 AM
    Hi guys!

I had a debt-free diary that started in 2014 and so much has changed in my life since that it's time to start fresh with some new ideas.

I work full-time, live alone in a flat that I privately rent, have a car and not many commitments. I will do an outline of my costs in the next post.

I am currently taking some exams via my job that will result in a much better paid position. I do usertesting when I have some free time so supplement my income, I'm a bit of an eBay whiz & I've been on a mission to reduce my food waste and utilise my full size freezer.

I owe £450 on a credit card, this is from some new clothes I desperately needed, my home insurance renewal & a couple of trips to a wholesaler to buy some bulk items. I also 'owe' my grandmother £6,000,00, this my flat deposit, some of my moving fees and my car. This doesn't need to be paid back any time soon, I had started paying it off but needed the money during a brief period of unemployment.

I look forward to starting a new journey!
    Loan: £3,600 £2,543.29
    Credit Card: £1,758.95 £1,683.95
    Emergency Fund: £0 (Aiming for £2000 by Dec 2018)
    Goal Debt-Free Date: February 2019
Page 16
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 20th Dec 17, 7:51 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    MrJester
    How are you doing sauce? Been a while.

Hope everythings going well.
    My new 2017 Batman-like debt free diary (£26k+)!
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 20th Dec 17, 8:31 PM
    • 5,169 Posts
    • 9,832 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Goodness poor you Sauce. Hope the procedure went ok on 6th December and you feel better soon.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 2nd Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Good Morning All!

Happy New Year! Sorry it's been a long time with no update. I had a further 2 surgeries in December and I am finally back to work today after what feels like forever... Almost forgotten what it is like to be in the office and definitely need to refresh my memory on how to do my own job!!

Financially I have been living off some inheritance my Mum sent over to me as she knew I was struggling... My grandmother also gifted me £500 (which she wouldn't accept back). I received a tax rebate in with my December pay which topped up my statutory sick pay and so really we aren't much worse off financially for me having the time off to get better. I've only made the minimum payment from my credit card as planned and I did actually manage to make a small loan overpayment of £29!

We were thoroughly spoiled for Christmas and New Year and everything I had on a list was purchased for us so we're now really equipped. I got given some cash by my parents that I used to purchase some essentials (work shoes etc.). I ended up paying for those items from my bank account and have kept the cash stashed in an envelope. I have £270 in my 'savings' account that will actually go to Groceries this month and then OH is paying me his £470 bill contribution. Going to use the envelope cash to pay for a haircut and fuel for the month. So... basically... everything is up to date and paid for!

We had a huge water bill that I have since had a leakage allowance applied to it and we also got a new fridge from the landlady (merry xmas to us!!).

Hope everyone is well and I look forward to getting back in to the swing of things now. Going to update my signature shortly to reflect debt balances. Really really happy to say the debt is still decreasing even after such a difficult time financially!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 3rd Jan 18, 12:02 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Plan for the rest of the week:

Wednesday
    - Leftovers for lunch
    - Book Haircut
    - Buy birthday card for BF
    - Buy birthday card for BF from his son
    - Put dry washing away
    - Time load of washing to finish for the morning
    - Wash makeup brushes
    - Remind BF to get present for his Grandad's bday on Saturday
    - Make £100 Loan Overpayment
    - Make £25 Credit Card Minimum Payment for Month

Thursday
    - Hang out timed washing before work
    - Mini food shop (budget £30)
    - Finish off little hamper for BF birthday

Friday
    - Meal out with BF's whole family
    - Decent night's sleep!

Saturday
    - Chill day at home
    - Message BF's pals to arrange Drinks for his bday next weekend
    - Meal out with BF's grandparents

Sunday
    - BF's Son 10-2 (take him out somewhere.. no idea where! Free exhibit at local library of lots of lego!)
    Last edited by sauceoclock; 04-01-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 3rd Jan 18, 3:33 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Can't believe I'm still able to make a £100 overpayment this month on the loan on top of getting a haircut and I even bought myself some clothes! Just goes to show I don't completely have to go without providing I'm sensible and my spending is planned. OH will soon be employed and so we can have consistency on paying bills rather than chasing and chasing and chasing a poorly organised company to release his pay!

Made the minimum payment due on my credit card as £25 was due by the 15th. I'm really looking forward to focusing on that credit card and watching the balance disappear over 6-7 months once that loan is paid down. It's lovely to see my debt steadily decreasing instead of decreasing and then suddenly increasing. Not knowing the pin and cutting up the card was really a moment of clarity for me.

Balance transferring OH's minimal credit card balances on to a 0% card he got this evening. That way he's paying no interest!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 4th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    OH went for his meeting regarding the new job this morning and has e-mailed me to say he thinks the company are looking for someone a bit different so he's back to working for his rubbish company for a little while longer. I've given him a boot up the backside today to get his paperwork sorted as they've not sent him any jobs for the week (presumably as punishment for him kicking off at them on the 22nd December as he hadn't been paid for 5 weeks). He asked me to help him sort his balance transfer so I'm going to try and do that tonight.

We went to 3 supermarkets last night to buy some of the Linda McCartney pulled chicken and thanks to veganuary/go veggie for January everywhere was sold out of all the Linda stuff. Whilst I really am pleased to see lots of people giving the lifestyle a go it's really annoying when people clear shelves of items. I thought supermarkets would cotton on to this new trend and perhaps stock up but all anywhere had was quorn which we both hate. Have to try a final resort 4th supermarket tonight and do want to nip in to farm foods who have the best vegan mince replacement by FAR and it's very affordable so great to bulk out meals like spag bol. In short, didn't get what I wanted done last night - will try again tonight!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 8th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Didn't go for either meal with BF's family this weekend, I felt way too ill!

Spent all my gift vouchers for Argos over the festive season, gave them to OH to put towards a new car seat for his little one as we were a bit strapped. He has since paid me cash for them despite me wanting him to just have them! Have done enough for £4 towards my first £10 voucher of 2018, it’s a habit I want to get back in to as I had fallen out of touch with my little side earners.

Loan overpayment went out today, this should bring the total down to about £2540. I’ll be getting bill money from my OH this week – this will be split £270 back in to the emergency account as I dipped in to this for groceries & a loan overpayment, no use having it in a bank account when it could be battling interest in my opinion! The remaining £200 is to be kept for spends.

Went in to the city yesterday and bought a new pair of jeans. I tore my 2 year old tesco jeans so had to chuck them out the week before Xmas. Whilst I know this isn’t very MSE I bought a pair of posh Levi black jeans (not in the sale.. oops). Not too worried about this as I still have £116 in xmas cash after buying them. I’m awaiting a refund from ASOS for some shoes I sent back which is another £17 back in my Xmas money fund but I’ve decided this will go towards my credit card minimum payment for next month leaving me only needing to find £8 out of my paycheque. Finally getting my haircut after about 16 months this Saturday – the cost is £34 out of my £116 cash (Question for you guys, do you tip your hairdresser?).
    Last edited by sauceoclock; 08-01-2018 at 9:46 AM.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 8th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Let’s go this week!

Aims of the week:
    Lose a further 2lbs (8lbs down, 6lbs to go!)
    Write down what I'm grateful for every day

Monday –
    Wash makeup brushes
    Home for lunch (made a posh sandwich yesterday that I’m going to toast)
    Clean Washing Away
    Wash one load of work clothing
    Earn £6 towards voucher
    Countersign OH’s grandma’s passport application

Tuesday –
    Wrap OH’s Birthday Presents
    Confirm everyone’s food order for OH’s birthday meal on Sunday
    Drop passport forms off to OH’s grandparents after work
    Clean bathroom

Wednesday –
    Gas & Electric Metre Reads
    Nip to farmfoods for their vegan mince & some frozen butternut squash

Thursday –
    Twin Peaks night with OH (popcorn and blankets me thinks!)

Friday –
    Move OH’s clothes in to the bedroom wardrobe (we’re making some space!)
    Dismantle clothing rail from spare room

Saturday –
    Haircut! (CANCELLED)

Sunday –
    BF’s birthday roast!
    Last edited by sauceoclock; 15-01-2018 at 4:19 PM.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 8th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    coastalchick
    hey Sauce - great to see you back! So sorry you had to have surgeries but glad you are clearly getting back into the swing and it must feel great to have managed money-wise too. Great start to 2018!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 12th Jan 18, 9:33 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hey coastalchick lovely to hear from you! Will run along to your diary shortly to have a catch up.

OH needs to be paid for 2 weeks backlog today, had a little bit of a panic yesterday as I was off sick for a couple days (anaemic, struggles after surgery unfortunately) and he still hasn't had any work... He's calling and calling but his agency and his employer are just screening his calls and ignoring his e-mails... It's dreadful as we have bills to pay and OH has a child to pay for, makes me sick how people are allowed to just abuse my OH as he's an agency worker and not a permanent employee.

As a result of not knowing if OH is being paid his two weeks owed I have cancelled my haircut on Saturday (quite upset about this, wouldn't have made such a big overpayment on my loan if I'd known his company were going to do this to us) and have sadly had to warn him if he is not paid then I can't afford his birthday roast on Sunday.. Whilst I'm sure his friends would club together for him I can't exactly ask them to so we may just cancel and do a belated celebration. He always pays me what is owed and is good for the money but he just can't physically get paid... He's applied for several other jobs and as he's a well qualified tradesman he's already had 6-7 reply saying he can start ASAP and needs to do some paperwork so hopefully they'll all come through today.

Stress stress stress!!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 12th Jan 18, 10:21 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Sorry for post spam, just so much going on atm!

£17 refund in my PayPal account, this is for the minimum credit card payment for Jan- February. Leaving this in my PayPal account until the time comes to pay my bill.

OH returning a parcel today for me, this will be a £45 refund and was for some shoes I bought him for his birthday. We had to have a horrible frank discussion last night about how we need to cut back for a few weeks (plus I hated the shoes when they arrived and ended up showing him them to make sure he didn't like them either... he didn't ). Heating has been turned OFF all together for a few weeks (only providing there's no freezing as do need to look after the pipes), I've cancelled my haircut and gave up getting my nails done after Halloween - we are going to use up all the food in the cupboards and freezer before buying any more and start fresh in a few weeks. OH has said he might consider selling some of the expensive parts from the PC he has built but I've told him not to if he can avoid it as he's only just built it and we got such a steal on the parts ourselves that it would be making money immediately to lose it later on re-purchase.

Anyway.... when the £45 goes in to my paypal it will be pushed towards February's loan overpayment. What I don't want to happen is that my debt repayments slow/come to a halt. I'm back in the office aside from a few days where I've been poorly - I used to pay all the bills and do everything myself, granted I didn't pay as much off my debt every month but I know I can do things financially as an individual aside from OH.

Bigger news yet though, we're considering moving out of where we live at the moment (Norfolk) and heading up North at the end of our tenancy. Thinking this as I'm only 25 and not quite ready to settle down for the rest of my life (I would ideally like to settle here but not just yet) and work is so much better and pays more for my OH up North. House prices are much cheaper than where we are now and his sister lives up that way and she's frankly one of the best people I've ever met! It would be nice to live somewhere where the cost of living isn't reaching London proportions, I'm now back in a set of circumstances similar to when I lived in London but instead live somewhere that is not serviced well in terms of transport and the job market is dry.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 12th Jan 18, 4:35 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    last post today I PROMISE.

Loan update!

Loan Taken: August 2017
    Original Loan Repayment Date: August 2022
    Standard Payments Made: £412.08
    Overpayments Made: £639.42
    New Loan Repayment Date July 2021!

13 months knocked off the end date by overpaying. Debt free by February 2019 looking somewhat possible but fear this may only be the loan repayment date and credit card will take a bit longer..... Must have a little look at my debts and work out when I can realistically get this credit card shifted too.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 15th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Other half didn't get paid, I managed to pay for our meal out so he didn't miss out. He's opened his presents this morning and is off to work today or Wednesday for a new company and has an interview for a permanent job not too far from home - here's praying he gets his backdated pay on Friday from the old company and his new company pay him as well (that would be a reSULT!).

Going to have to have 5 NSD's on the trot to get through this week as there's simply nothing in the bank account (I lie, perhaps 20p!) and I am not adding to my debt. 2 blips of fuel in the car, food in the freezer/cupboards and no big plans.
    Last edited by sauceoclock; 15-01-2018 at 9:07 AM.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 16th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Worked out that OH and I need £95 in our accounts by Thursday evening. He's going to do a job (he's an electrician!) at my parents' house on Thursday morning and my Mum has said she's happy to pay going rate, we'd usually ensure to do this for free for her but she knows we are hard up so much rather she give him some money for services rendered than lend us some!

A friend of mine has also said he will transfer me some money if we are short. I've never ever had to borrow money from a friend (well, technically OH would be borrowing, not me!) so hopefully this won't be the case.

The owner of OH's agency is now involved with trying to resolve his issue with payment as the company also owe the agency cash. What a nightmare!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 16th Jan 18, 11:20 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Have initiated an account switch to Natwest paying 2% cashback on some of our bills and £125 for switching. Sick to death of Co-Op banking they're rubbish and at least with NatWest there's one near work I can use to pay money in when I need to
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 17th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    2 NSD's Monday and Tuesday, today though we had run out of mouthwash, deodorant, butter, soy milk, teabags (don't think I have EVER run out of teabags in my life!) and things for my lunches. I had a hospital appointment this morning and nipped in to the supermarket after on my way to work and grabbed the bits, I emptied out a change pot we keep on our windowsill and I couldn't believe it but all the things I bought were on offer/super cheap and the amount in my purse was equal to the till total! Whilst this now doesn't count as NSD I'm pleased with my bargains even if it does mean the last money we have between us is gone and from a change pot!

OH has been applying for hundreds of jobs, we still are owed 2 weeks pay from his previous company and still have their company van in our possession. Not holding my breath the money will come through on Friday, I've got a little procedure tomorrow and then Friday off (annual leave allowance so I am still paid for it), going with my OH to my mum's house to do the private job with him, I'll sit in my parents house and apply for jobs there and will nip to my dad's tea rooms for a yummy lunch (for free which is always a nice thing!). OH is going up North on Sunday evening to work up there and stay with his sister on a temporary measure - pretending it's not happening as I'm going to be a bit lost without him!
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 20th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    coastalchick
    oh hun. So sorry you are going through a tough time at the moment. I am not sure what advice to offer. I just hope that things get a bit better for you soon. x
    • theroamingnomad
    • By theroamingnomad 20th Jan 18, 9:52 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    theroamingnomad
    Just wanted to stop by and wish you all the best on your journey. You seem like you've got a great plan and are already hard at work on getting stuff paid down
    Debt-free by August 1st, 2018 - hopefully!
    £4945.54/£5124 - as of 18/01/18
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,882Users online

Martin's Twitter