Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 842Posts
    • 891Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt!
    • 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt! 10th Sep 16 at 11:35 AM
    Hi guys!

I had a debt-free diary that started in 2014 and so much has changed in my life since that it's time to start fresh with some new ideas.

I work full-time, live alone in a flat that I privately rent, have a car and not many commitments. I will do an outline of my costs in the next post.

I am currently taking some exams via my job that will result in a much better paid position. I do usertesting when I have some free time so supplement my income, I'm a bit of an eBay whiz & I've been on a mission to reduce my food waste and utilise my full size freezer.

I owe £450 on a credit card, this is from some new clothes I desperately needed, my home insurance renewal & a couple of trips to a wholesaler to buy some bulk items. I also 'owe' my grandmother £6,000,00, this my flat deposit, some of my moving fees and my car. This doesn't need to be paid back any time soon, I had started paying it off but needed the money during a brief period of unemployment.

I look forward to starting a new journey!
    Loan: £3,600 £2,720.52
    Credit Card: £1,758.95 £1,708.95
    Emergency Fund: £670 (Aiming for £2000 by Dec 2018)
    Goal Debt-Free Date: February 2019
Page 15
    • AleMrsT
    • By AleMrsT 1st Nov 17, 8:25 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    AleMrsT
    Hi sauce, I've seen you posting on a few diaries i follow so am pleased I've found your diary. I have spent the afternoon and evening reading your diary and have subscribed. Wow have you had a tough year, but you've managed to persevere with your debt repayments, it's fantastic how much progress you have made! I know you mentioned your friends weren't supportive during your hospital stay, what happened with the holiday to France in the end? (Sorry to be nosey!)

Good luck on the rest of your journey, and take care, I have a long term health issue and work 4 days per week, I have anaemia but luckily I've never fainted from it. Have you had any blood tests to check for anaemia? Hope your health improves for you soon.
    Debt @ LBM Nov 2014 £7586.85
    Start of DMP Jan 2015 £7202.85 now £4348.60 (£2854.25 PAID)
    Italy 2018 £2103.44 now £0 (Thanks PPI!)
    Christmas shopping budget £81.36 (plus £25.91 Amazon voucher) / £150
    Emergency Fund £0/£600
    Christmas 2018 £0/£400
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 2nd Nov 17, 9:29 AM
    • 842 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hi sauce, I've seen you posting on a few diaries i follow so am pleased I've found your diary. I have spent the afternoon and evening reading your diary and have subscribed. Wow have you had a tough year, but you've managed to persevere with your debt repayments, it's fantastic how much progress you have made! I know you mentioned your friends weren't supportive during your hospital stay, what happened with the holiday to France in the end? (Sorry to be nosey!)

Good luck on the rest of your journey, and take care, I have a long term health issue and work 4 days per week, I have anaemia but luckily I've never fainted from it. Have you had any blood tests to check for anaemia? Hope your health improves for you soon.
    Originally posted by AleMrsT
    Hello! I recognise your username too, this forum is like a little friendship circle. Thanks for your kind words, when I do reflect I realise I've had a tougher-than-average year but now we're in November I am starting to really feel more positive. I worked till 5:30pm yesterday and I've been coming in to work at 9.. Developing my routine again which is really helpful... Giving up alcohol and meat were two things I'd wanted to do for a long time and this was the year I managed it!

We didn't go to France in the end - nobody did in fact. I took the week off that I'd booked so far in advance and went to Amsterdam with the BF, whilst we were poorly and regretted booking it when I was still a bit unwell we did have fun. Next holiday won't be until 2019/2020 and we will go somewhere warm!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 2nd Nov 17, 9:34 AM
    • 842 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    As per my reply above I managed working 9-5:30 yesterday, hooray for some more money! I had however completely forgotten that I have a medical appointment this afternoon so I have to leave work early (grr, can't work til 5:30). Next week I intend to just have a 'normal' working week of 9-5:30. BF is on a late tonight and I got all the chores done last night so that tonight I can do some usertests for some extra cash to make up for the couple of hours lost to my hospital appointment this afternoon (we need it!).

All the bills are paid up now, BF is getting his bill money to me on Friday (I will return £250 to my Mum, didn't want to borrow money from her at as I don't hear from her and then the first thing we talk about is me asking for money). Then we are square.

I MUST make a BACS transfer of 99p to my virgin credit card today, the payment is due by the 6th so I'm cutting it really fine.... I can't pay £99p on my debit card and I also can't overpay by a penny... They took 4 days to respond to my query on how I actually pay the 99p..... Nightmare.
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 2nd Nov 17, 5:50 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    MrJester
    hey sauce. REMEMBER TO MAKE THAT BACS TRANSFER!

your friendly reminding gremlin

btw sounds like your ill health is resolving itself? being able to work full days. they're tiring for most of us nevermind being ill!
    My new 2017 Batman-like debt free diary (£26k+)!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 3rd Nov 17, 9:29 AM
    • 842 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    hey sauce. REMEMBER TO MAKE THAT BACS TRANSFER!

your friendly reminding gremlin

btw sounds like your ill health is resolving itself? being able to work full days. they're tiring for most of us nevermind being ill!
    Originally posted by MrJester
    Ha thanks bud! All paid last night before 5pm, it went as a fasterpayment so think it'll be applied to the account in time for Monday (in their account yesterday, processing today, application on Monday). If it went as a missed payment I'd be contacting them to have it expunged anyway as they took 5 days to respond to my query about how I pay.

My health is up and down a lot but I'm trying to just soldier through, I'm in a lot of discomfort the past couple of days and the hospital appointment last night led to the consultant requesting more surgery... So I'm now on a wait list (rubbish)!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 3rd Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 842 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    So, re-focusing my Debt-Free-Diary on the DEBT, it's sole purpose.

Loan payment & overpayment have cleared and the new loan repayment date is *drum roll pleaaaase* October 2021. When I started it was August 2022 so that's a great reduction, almost a whole year knocked off of it. Since August I have repaid £785.10, this is a HUGE achievement and has shown me that I do not need to be in debt considering I've had this money to chuck at the loan. Exciting times ahead getting rid of my debt. The aim is to have repaid £1000 by December.

Have returned the £250 borrowed from Mum as BF has paid for his bills. I have a healthy amount leftover.

Heading to the supermarket on my way home tonight, just a lidl shop... Will be buying pasta as we've run out, it's on the drive home so no extra fuel wasted on the journey.

Tonight is a much needed chillout night, BF has his Son in the morning and I'll be catching up on housework.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 3rd Nov 17, 11:48 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    coastalchick
    well done sauce!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Nov 17, 10:39 AM
    • 842 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    So a bit of a spendy weekend but nothing too crazy. Friday night we did the dreaded Asda, Aldi and B&M trip (they're all on one journey so we do all three in one hit). We stocked up on food and veggies etc. Spent about £50 each but we did get some good stuff and I also got 2 hamper kits for xmas pressies (almost there with my presents now!).

Saturday I woke up and had to go to the out of hours doctor. I'm on another 2 week stint of fairly strong antibiotics as I do have an infection. Dr calling me this lunchtime to be told off for not referring me (out of hours doctor couldn't believe they'd told me they'd refer me and she had nothing on my medical notes to state I have been!). Saturday was a NSD as we spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning (I attacked the plant in our front garden) and on the sofa chilling out. Sunday morning we had OH's little one over, I met him for the first time and it was a great success, he's a sweet kid and it was nice to see OH with his Son. We popped over to a friends house for a cup of tea and then went home, we did order a takeaway last night because I was too unwell to cook anything and BF had done a private job in the week so we had a little extra disposable cash. Naughty - I know but we usually have one a month and I have leftovers for lunch today.

Today will be an NSD again, we are off out for dinner tonight with BF's parents but I've converted £7.50 of clubcard vouchers in to £30 of zizzi's vouchers so it won't cost us a penny.
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 6th Nov 17, 4:29 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    MrJester
    Bloody love a food voucher deal like that!!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Nov 17, 10:22 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Bit of a gap between posts, sorry to those who read/write to me on here.... I went to the Doctors following my out of hours visit last weekend. The doctor signed me off work for a week, to say I was shocked is an understatement but she refused to let me leave her office without being signed off (as therefore I CAN'T go in to the office as it voids their liability insurance in the event of an accident) I sent a copy of the certificate to work and they are not happy and I've had no contact from them since which isn't a good sign. I do worry I will be let-go and I could hardly blame them (even though it really isn't my fault I'm poorly). Safe to say I am not going to eligible for the Christmas bonus and all this does is set back my progression. Health first, I know, I know but it's hard not to feel annoyed or bitter that I've been set back so much for something out of my control. Truthfully we can't afford for me to not be working and whilst we will get by FINE at this stage my BF is getting really worried about money and wanting to do more private jobs to support me, I do not need or want that and even with this weeks absence I will still be paid enough to pay my half of the bills and my debts. I do need to find some inner sauceoclock strength and get back to it on Monday morning, just a little while longer till we can get it sorted Mr Kidney! £33.80 on prescriptions and I'm taking 5 different medicines each day.

In terms of money, I have £160 in my bank account... I'm housebound so not spending a penny and OH isn't spending anything really either. I'm hoping to be well enough to do some usertests in a couple of hours but I am losing my voice where I'm quite weak and in pain.... Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Next payday will need to be minimum payments only on my debts with a view to picking up overpayments again in a couple of months whilst we recover from this nightmare.
    Last edited by sauceoclock; 10-11-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 10th Nov 17, 10:29 PM
    • 4,827 Posts
    • 9,109 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Goodness poor you. I hope you get the correct treatment soon and the scan identifies what is wrong. Health is the most important thing but you seem fairly on top of your finances. Minimum payments probably way to go until you are sorted. Do you get sick pay?

Glad your BF is supporting you. Get well soon.
    2 weeks to go until early retirement in December . Debt free and mortgage free.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Nov 17, 11:00 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Goodness poor you. I hope you get the correct treatment soon and the scan identifies what is wrong. Health is the most important thing but you seem fairly on top of your finances. Minimum payments probably way to go until you are sorted. Do you get sick pay?

Glad your BF is supporting you. Get well soon.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Hello! I would get SSP if i were off work any longer but I don't get any more employers sick pay as I had more than the total off when I was admitted in July. Thanks for your positive comment about my finances, I do beat myself up loads but it's nice to see that the hard work I put in does show to someone!

I just managed a $15 user test, that ought to help... Hopefully I'll nab another one when this one is done uploading!
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 11th Nov 17, 8:38 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    coastalchick
    oh gosh sauce - so sorry! How awful! I really hope you get some answers soon and then you can start being on the mend. At least you know you can survive short term and can put any immediate fire out. Worry about later only if you have to. Big hugs. xxx
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 12th Nov 17, 11:14 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    MrJester
    Sorry to hear about the downturn, Sauce.

Health first, you know all that. You can't earn if you can't work, put all your energies into getting better - those around you will support you without question because they know you have no choice.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 13th Nov 17, 2:15 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    After a phone-call with my GP she has decided to admit me to the hospital. I have to go off and see her this afternoon to get a letter to take with me to the hospital so I'm just about to pack a bag and book taxis etc. (grrrrrr to taxi expenses but I can't drive myself to the hospital and leave my car in the car park and my OH is working nights so isn't home to take me). Thankfully my Mum has been really sweet and has ordered a load of vegan ready-meals from a posh 'gousto' type website that are being delivered tomorrow so my other half will have dinners he just needs to heat up whilst I'm in the hospital. I also did a load of meal-prep when my painkillers were in full effect on Saturday morning so there are more prepped meals in the freezer for him. The trouble with him being on nights is he sleeps and then goes to work before visiting hours at the hospital so it'll be a while before I see him again..... Fine for me because I am in pain and will likely just want to sleep but I know he will really want to visit and feel bad he can't.

I've called and spoken to my Mum and told her I'm really worried about money and how much I will be paid this month given I'm likely going to be off now for this week too. She said she will lend me the difference for my bills and that is a weight off... It'll be a long term lend and I'll just chuck her £10 a month or something for it and I do hope it won't actually come to that...

Right, I'd best hop (or limp) to it and get myself a decent supply bag packed as I can't rely on my OH bringing me things to the hospital. Trying to keep positive but also want to cry a little - it's not nice being on a ward with a bunch of geriatrics when you're 25 and of sound mind!
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 13th Nov 17, 4:29 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    coastalchick
    oh my gosh hun. I'm so sorry. I really really hope you are on the mend soon xx
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 27th Nov 17, 12:22 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    MrJester
    Imagine you are recovering atm, sauce, update us when you can x
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 28th Nov 17, 2:26 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hi All!

Thanks for the kind works and sorry I'm MIA. I'm having a little procedure on the 6th of December as I have a 'wonky tube' which is causing my poor kidney to be infected regularly. Hopefully the surgery fixes things because I'm so tired of being poorly.

Financially this month was going to be a struggle, it's payday and I was only paid £517.32 because of SSP. However my family have given me some inheritance I was due to have at a later date now because they saw we were in a really horrid position and I was going to have to go to work whilst I can barely stand some days. This gives us a LOT of breathing room and I am well aware and appreciate that 'bank of family' is not something available to some others who are in my shoes - thankfully this is all inheritance money I was not aware of or expecting so that helps to ebb my guilt a little in terms of not paying it back.

I have woken up today refocusing on my life. I've dosed up on my pain relief and I'm going to (albeit slowly) attack the jobs in the house that have piled up. I've just paid my minimum payment on the credit card so that's now paid up to 18th January 2018 (crazy it's soon to be the new year). Going to try and get on top of things at home as my OH is desperately seeking a new job where his 'patch' will actually be local because his job have been sending him on nights for 4 weeks all over the country and that isn't what he was sold or signed up for. Big cuddles to him as he has been a saint throughout my illness.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 5th Dec 17, 2:51 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Updated my signature, all debt totals are as of today . Almost at the £1k mark off my loan since August but unfortunately won't hit that by the end of 2018 because I'd rather keep the cash in the bank account as I don't know when I can go back to work and if I pay it off the loan then I don't have it to fall back on. I get OH's bill money for the month on Friday so I will be putting that in to the 'emergency fund' in the interim. I guess the bonus of being off sick like this is I am not spending much on food, I'm not spending money on days out etc. so the money just sits in my bank account not moving.

I wrapped some Christmas presents yesterday and made a list of all those we still need to get. I then purchased a couple of presents (sister, niece, small gifts for boyfriends hamper). On my end, there are only 2 more gifts needed! OH on the other hand has a long list to still sort out so I've made a list and put it on our boiler for him to tick off as he goes. TBH I am not in the Christmas spirit AT all and I am dreading it, I don't feel good and I've had to spend all that money (even though my gifts were small) and we don't have it, makes me a bit upset sometimes as I'd rather people not buy for me and I not buy for them whilst I'm struggling financially and with my health.

Hoping to have a positive health update the day after tomorrow. Off to take some medicine and prepare a vegan alfredo for OH when he gets home around midnight.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 5th Dec 17, 2:55 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Also.... Loan full repayment date is now September 2021 - officially knocked 12 months off of it. Woo!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

955Posts Today

6,014Users online

Martin's Twitter