Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 808Posts
    • 744Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt!
    • 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt! 10th Sep 16 at 11:35 AM
    Hi guys!

I had a debt-free diary that started in 2014 and so much has changed in my life since that it's time to start fresh with some new ideas.

I work full-time, live alone in a flat that I privately rent, have a car and not many commitments. I will do an outline of my costs in the next post.

I am currently taking some exams via my job that will result in a much better paid position. I do usertesting when I have some free time so supplement my income, I'm a bit of an eBay whiz & I've been on a mission to reduce my food waste and utilise my full size freezer.

I owe £450 on a credit card, this is from some new clothes I desperately needed, my home insurance renewal & a couple of trips to a wholesaler to buy some bulk items. I also 'owe' my grandmother £6,000,00, this my flat deposit, some of my moving fees and my car. This doesn't need to be paid back any time soon, I had started paying it off but needed the money during a brief period of unemployment.

I look forward to starting a new journey!
    Loan: £3,600 £2,889.62
    Credit Card: £1,337.84 £1197.84
    Unsecured Debt Total: £4,087.46
    Goal Debt-Free Date: February 2019
Page 13
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Oct 17, 10:16 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hey sauce,
    Just popping on to say if you go on groupon you can get a wash and haircut for £9 at that place in the city where you blow dry it yourself
    Originally posted by clippy_girl
    Thank you!!! I will check it out, handy having a fellow Norwich-ite on board!!! xx
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Thank GOODNESS it’s Friday, I have never been so exhausted in my life! BF got back at 1:30am and as expected woke me up, I had 4 nightmares last night and my sleep was so broken! Can’t wait to lie in, BF is seeing his son at 9am tomorrow so I get the bed to myself for a few hours and I’m praying I’ll drift back off. Really glad I muscled through the housework when I got home last night, means I can chill out tonight which I so desperately need. No housework, no obligations, just home to veg out completely which I’ve been promising myself for weeks (evidenced on this diary) but then I never do!

This weekend all I am doing is seeing BF’s step grandparents tomorrow afternoon. Other than that I have no commitments which I’m really pleased about. Definitely need a weekend with no drastic plans where I can be at home, save some money and be lazy!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 9th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Haven’t done much of a finance update in here for quite a while!

I was approved for a 0.00% balance transfer card with MBNA, I am pleased that I have the comfort of 0.00% for 30 months. I transferred the £721.00 that was on my virgin credit card, the car insurance clears on to the virgin card tomorrow so I will be balance transferring that as well. I have paid the £140.00 I had set aside over to the MBNA credit card today in anticipation. I am closing down my virgin credit card account once the car insurance balance transfer has gone through. I shred the pin number for my new credit card and cut up the physical card and binned it to avoid temptation. This will be my last 0% balance transfer and then it’ll just be monthly payments. There is NO need for me to be getting in to debt now I’m back to work full-time and BF lives with me, I feel really positive and like my finances are on the up. Overpayments on my loan resume this month, these are £150.00 each month in addition to my £68.68 payment, so far I have reduced the loan term by 7 months and I hope to knock at least another 1 or 2 months off of that on payday. BF paid me £105.00 on Sunday which was his half of the contents insurance, the money for a wallet he bought using my paypal and then £50 towards his holiday balance. I get another £200.00 next Friday which is the remainder of his holiday money.

A naughty thing I did before sorting out my credit cards etc. is I booked 2 nights in a posh treehouse in Kent (in February) for myself and BF – this is his Christmas and birthday present and the idea is we are going to have a little winter getaway to enjoy a posh hot tub and something a bit unique. This came to £607, of which £200 is a refundable deposit so £407 in total that is to be paid, my Mum and my Nan are both contributing to it for my xmas gift so it’s actually £307 which I anticipate I might receive in a bonus in December so all in all, won’t be debt but does mean I get to give BF a great gift and spend some time with him.

I am off to update my signature now and will update it again when all the balance transfers are done and BF has paid me next Friday.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 9th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    In addition to the above, I have just drawn up a finance plan based on my regular salary and including BF's bill contribution as well as my loan, car, credit card, savings for insurance and holiday savings. There really is NO need for me to be in any more debt based on what I've planned. I can't wait to tick off payments each payday and watch the debt come down
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 9th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Read most of your recent posts yesterday but didn't end up commenting. Just read your most recent ones and sounds like you are totally on top of everything!! That's great!! And I think the weekend away is a fabulous idea and you've planned how to pay for it. I was reading quite a lot today (over lunch obvs as I am now getting super focused on my job again) on people who have retired early and many of them have literally not lived or done anything fun for years. Strikes me that's quite a sad way to exist, especially when you are young, so I am all for making memories booking (affordable) trips!!!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Read most of your recent posts yesterday but didn't end up commenting. Just read your most recent ones and sounds like you are totally on top of everything!! That's great!! And I think the weekend away is a fabulous idea and you've planned how to pay for it. I was reading quite a lot today (over lunch obvs as I am now getting super focused on my job again) on people who have retired early and many of them have literally not lived or done anything fun for years. Strikes me that's quite a sad way to exist, especially when you are young, so I am all for making memories booking (affordable) trips!!!
    Originally posted by coastalchick
    Oh I couldnít agree more! Having been suddenly so ill I realised that you canít spend your life anticipating things like retirement because who knows if youíll actually get there! I definitely want to strike a work-life balance and go on more holidays so Iíve included a little holiday savings account in my budget. Iíve just had a stint of several years promising myself Iíll go on holiday Ďnext yearí and BF and I are actually just making it happen now.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Oct 17, 11:44 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    So yesterday I opted to make an overpayment from my loan rather than make the payment off my credit card, simply because I pay interest on the loan and the credit card is on 0% and I’d already sent over £140 from BF so that covers the minimum payment for the month. My financial plan looks really airtight and it makes more allowances for takeaways, holiday savings, insurance savings and things I kept forgetting to add in. I’m really feeling so positive about my finances, it feels like there IS a light at the end of this 4-5 year long tunnel. I’m going to track my loan repayment date on this diary as a bit of a ‘debt free date’ goal.

As of today the end date of my loan is 1st February 2022, I’ll update again on Thursday when the extra payment clears but I anticipate this will bring it to 1st January 2022. When I first took the loan the end date was 1st September 2022 so I’ve already reduced it by about 7 months which isn’t bad in a little over 2 months since taking it out.

I’ve cancelled my gym membership as it was going unused and I also took all my nails off myself and have painted them, no more getting my nails done every month as I can’t afford that lifestyle. I don’t know who I’ve been kidding, I know it’s the ‘one thing I do for myself’ but it means I might now have the ‘one thing’ be a new top or a haircut now and again (seriously it’s been about 9 months since I had a trim) instead of nails done AND those things on top.
    Last edited by sauceoclock; 10-10-2017 at 2:41 PM.
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 10th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    MrJester
    Glad to hear you say that you don't really need to be in debt. You're right, you don't! Unexpected costs do come up, but it's important to live within your means otherwise we're always messing around with debts. It's about lowering our expectations of what our money gets us to a more realistic level.

Yes yes highest interest first in almost all circumstances.

I'm glad you are on the financial planning stuff too! Yeah I think it's totally best to be realistic about what you currently spend your money on and budget for that, then month by month try and reduce it. Rather than making an unrealistic plan, failing, and going too spendy the other way out of despair or frustration. (This is what I have done in the past)

It's understandable to have your vices, we all do. There's some things we treat ourselves to over other things. But we just have to be open and willing to reassess all the time; is this worthwhile, important, useful for me? if there's doubt there, there's probably a good chance you know it isnt something you should be spending your money on. Again, its a balance to make, as you need to treat yourself sometimes with your money - otherwise it just feels like its all going to other people/companies and you wonder why you're earning it!
    My new 2017 Batman-like debt free diary (£26k+)!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Okay so one more thing that has been on my list to get sorted out. Christmas and remaining 2017 birthdays! I’ve started coming up with some ideas but I’m a bit stuck and I wonder if you savvy lot have any ideas what to get a 5 year old? I’m going to post it here so I can update it and come back to it! The question marks obviously require something being selected! Anything in red is bought and paid for

CHRISTMAS
    Mum – Picturehouse Voucher to see a film together
    Dad - ????
    Niece 1 (12 years old) - New Look Voucher
    Niece 2 (5 years old) - Slippers
    Boyfriend - Trip away to Kent (little hamper to open)
    Sister - ???
    Best Friend – Little hamper with bottle of gin, coffee and pack of cigs
    Nan – Posh 3D card
    Nan - ???
    Best Pal - Homemade hamper with Gin, Cigs & Coffee (her 3 fave things)

BIRTHDAYS
    Niece 1 (12 Years old) - 2 X Choker Necklaces Costume jewelry rings
    Nan – Afternoon Tea at Ketteringham Hall
    Last edited by sauceoclock; 18-10-2017 at 2:52 PM.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 11th Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Woke up this morning with terrible pain and infection symptoms again, I've come in to work but this has been quietly bothering me for the past 10 or so days, I wasn't sure if it was psychological (me worrying I'll get another infection so thinking every twinge or ache is a kidney infection) so haven't acted on it. I'm drinking so much water to try and bully whatever it is out of my system and I've doubled up my probiotics... I have a feeling I'll be heading in to the doctor tomorrow afternoon after work as I certainly can't go on like this. Hopefully I'll be catching whatever it is early enough to avoid a re-admission to hospital, the thought leaves me mortified (plus I don't want ANY more time off work).

I think I'll ask my doctor why I'm getting so many infections and when they give me the usual 'oh it's just bad luck' I might push back on it as I don't think all the bacterial tonsillitis, kidney infections, ear infections etc. are normal. I don't want to be ill all the time and I'm not a hypochondriac - I present with diagnosed infections etc. not like I'm showing up with a cold and expecting treatment! I think my immune system might need a bit of help.

Anwyay, aside from the above negativity. I found a halloween dress for £12.50 on ASOS which I'm chuffed with and it's nice enough to wear on it's own at other times as it's just a floor length black dress. I wanted to avoid spending £3 on delivery so I bought my niece 2 chokers (on sale for £3) at the same time as she's very in to costume jewelry at the moment apparently, also grabbed a pair of tights as I need to chuck a pair of mine out for busting a hole in them! Showed BF my finance plan and he beamed and gave me a huge hug after as he thinks it's great, what a smooth criminal!
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 11th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Hope you fight off this infection Sauce, it does sound really tiresome.
    Your birthday and christmas lists are so organised! *note to self to do similar*
    Sounds like ASOS was well shopped, getting the presents in lieu of paying for shipping
    BF sounds really supportive for you. Lovely to read your diary
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 11th Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hope you fight off this infection Sauce, it does sound really tiresome.
    Your birthday and christmas lists are so organised! *note to self to do similar*
    Sounds like ASOS was well shopped, getting the presents in lieu of paying for shipping
    BF sounds really supportive for you. Lovely to read your diary
    Originally posted by Tea&Kittens
    Thank you! Glad to have you along for my journey!

Usually I'd have finished my xmas shopping at this point so I'm actually late to the party this year!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 11th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Extra payment cleared off of the loan this morning (a day earlier than it was supposed to but that makes no difference to me). Small victory dance as it's now under £3k! Woohoo!
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 11th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    MrJester
    You might want to look into gut health, not just immune system. The gut controls, or contributes to, SO much of the body's functions they're discovering new things every day about it and it's less understood than the brain.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 12th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    You might want to look into gut health, not just immune system. The gut controls, or contributes to, SO much of the body's functions they're discovering new things every day about it and it's less understood than the brain.
    Originally posted by MrJester
    Yeah! I did a science degree and did my dissertation on E.Coli, I'm a bit of a geek for that stuff so I take probiotics twice daily (and have noticed such an improvement in my digestion etc.), drink peppermint tea to aid digestion and gave up meat (lots of research on the bacteria that helps to digest meat suggests it's not actually very good for us). I was a really sickly child and then had a good few years of good health as a teen but unfortunately since I was about 22-23 I've been really unwell with a number of things, some of which are far less glamorous than a kidney infection. It turns out I have a benign lump in my brain that causes havoc in my body so I should imagine that's playing a part in this!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 12th Oct 17, 10:40 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Went to the doctors yesterday, turns out I do have an infection so I'm on antibiotics and drinking as much water as possible to help my poor kidney. Work today (very tired and my fever is making me hot and cold every couple of minutes) I've got a hot water bottle wedged behind my back where I'm in pain.

Black hair spray has appeared this morning for BF's halloween costume (Gomez Addams). All that is left is I need to find a wig for my Morticia costume. Need to sell something on eBay to cover it first.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 16th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Long old update ahead:

The infection made me so ill I didnít come to work Friday. All I managed was some pottering in the house and one usertest to start making up lost salary. The test paid $10 thatíll clear in a week, I also had a £10 voucher for Argos in points so I ordered that. Iíve been wondering what to do with my pots of leftover foreign exchange as we wonít be going overseas. I found sites that buy coins at good rates and my odd pennies from other countries have equated to about £35, I have to post it off today and Iím nervous to see what postage is charged but frankly any profit on these coins that were collecting dust will be a bonus when I missed a days wage, itíll end up paid in to my paypal around payday after processing. Whilst I had to succumb to illness again and have a day off Iím almost caught up and will look to do some more usertests whilst BF is on lates this week.

We had a fairly cheap weekend, spent about £20 overall on lunch/coffee for me and BF and then spent £8.99 on some slippers I saw in a shop for my youngest niece for Xmas. £550.20 balance transfer has been requested off of my old credit card, this is the car insurance and means the virgin credit card can be closed (have to wait for the transfer to clear before I can request my account closure). This leaves the MBNA card on 0%, Iíll be paying minimum payments on it for the next 12 months whilst I focus on overpaying my loan. The extra payment I made last week hasnít cleared on my statement yet so I donít know how much it is has reduced the term, expect to see that clear on my statement today or tomorrow. Excited to see if itís pushed the repayment date forward to 2021 from 2022!

The house was a mess this morning, I emptied the recycling bag (we use a big old bag for our clean recyclables) and put the washing on a timer before I left. When I get home I have to:

- Hoover the kitchen
    - Do the dishes leftover from last night (we were lazy and didnítí clean up before bed)
    - Hang up and put away dry washing
    - Hang out wet washing and put up in the office (raining here today so canít hang it outside!)
    - Hoover the stairs
    • littlemissbudgetqueen
    • By littlemissbudgetqueen 16th Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    littlemissbudgetqueen
    Hello - Just wanted to say I have read your diary from start to finish. Hope you are feeling better now - you really have had a tough time of it. The weekend away sounds amazing and I think its exactly what you need. Well done on getting the Christmas list organised - I think that's something I will definitely need to start on. I am usually that person rushing around like mad trying to finalise everything!
    Car Loan: £14,000 - PAID ,Credit Cards:£5252.00 / £5154.49 Prof. Study Loan:£5642.16/ £8660.00,Argos Card:£312.95/£372.95, Mortgage:£66,277.00 (approx.) /House value£125,000.00
    Goals:
    £350.00
    /£20,000 Savings (ASAP - Sept 2019 at latest)
    LISA: £150.00 NS&I: £200.00

Weight Loss: 0lb / 30lb
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 16th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hello - Just wanted to say I have read your diary from start to finish. Hope you are feeling better now - you really have had a tough time of it. The weekend away sounds amazing and I think its exactly what you need. Well done on getting the Christmas list organised - I think that's something I will definitely need to start on. I am usually that person rushing around like mad trying to finalise everything!
    Originally posted by littlemissbudgetqueen
    Hi There!

Thanks very much for reading this TOME of a diary! Ha! I think the biggest issue is my immune system got completely worn down from my tonsillectomy followed by every cold and cough going as my work unfortunately aren't the most hygienic and people still come to work when really they should have a day off (even today the girl who sits next to me has a desperately bad cold and now I know I'm going to catch it because I'm weak and I will have it worse as I can't fight off the symptoms!).

I can't recommend a good Xmas list enough! Usually I'd have finished my xmas shopping now but where I got ill over summer I'm just behind on everything! Don't forget black friday is coming up and whilst I don't associate with going down to a shop to queue for false economy items I do advocate utilising 10-20% off codes online (there's usually a great guide released on MSE) if you've found things already you're buying for xmas. This year I didn't have a clue what I was going to get everyone but it does just sort itself out!
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 16th Oct 17, 1:00 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    MrJester
    Sorry to hear your health has taken a turn, focus on your health rather than moneysaving when you need to
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

3,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin