Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 758Posts
    • 691Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt!
    • 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt! 10th Sep 16 at 11:35 AM
    Hi guys!

I had a debt-free diary that started in 2014 and so much has changed in my life since that it's time to start fresh with some new ideas.

I work full-time, live alone in a flat that I privately rent, have a car and not many commitments. I will do an outline of my costs in the next post.

I am currently taking some exams via my job that will result in a much better paid position. I do usertesting when I have some free time so supplement my income, I'm a bit of an eBay whiz & I've been on a mission to reduce my food waste and utilise my full size freezer.

I owe £450 on a credit card, this is from some new clothes I desperately needed, my home insurance renewal & a couple of trips to a wholesaler to buy some bulk items. I also 'owe' my grandmother £6,000,00, this my flat deposit, some of my moving fees and my car. This doesn't need to be paid back any time soon, I had started paying it off but needed the money during a brief period of unemployment.

I look forward to starting a new journey!
    Loan (overpaying): £3,600 £3,093.60
    Car Insurance: £550.82 £410.82
    Credit Card: £781
    Car PCP: £11,450 £10,665.54
Page 12
    • Princesssparkle
    • By Princesssparkle 8th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Princesssparkle
    Hey Sauce. I'm sorry to hear you've been so poorly bless you.

Sounds very positive in the other areas of your life though. I'm so pleased for you.

Have a wonderful trip away x
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 18th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    So I am back from my travels! I had an awful cold and now have a chest infection because I am so weak. Off to the doctors tomorrow (if I can get an appointment) to pick up some antibiotics as spoke to her on the phone and she said to come in. Tried not to let it spoil our trip and we walked miles every day, I had fun and loved spending time with my OH but I don’t think I’m in a rush to go back.

My mum had a pay out on an insurance policy with regards to my late Grandfather, she is going to use it to pay for a villa in Florida in 2019. The whole family are invited and my boyfriend is very keen (he really loves my family). All we will need to cover is our flights and the excursions/theme park tickets plus some groceries, it’s a long way off so for now my financial plan remains the same with this in the back of my mind.

In terms of finances, we spent all our money in Amsterdam as food etc. was so costly. BF has paid for most stuff and now only owes £250.00 on the flights and hotel costs. My car insurance renewal is £550.00 (uninsured driver in stolen car hit and ran in 2015 which is impacting my insurance still.. not my fault grrrr). Loan repayments are ticking along nicely, minimum payments for the next few months as Christmas approaches and being part time means less net pay! I’m going to start my Christmas shopping next week, I like to get ahead of the curve and wait for good discounts on items I want for presents!

Used yesterday to deep clean the house top to bottom. I cleared out my wardrobe in the process and did a bin-bag for the charity shop, also found 7 items of clothing worth eBaying, will do it this afternoon. We went to Aldi and Asda and stocked up on frozen fruit and veg as well as lots of cupboard food. I’ve been cooking most nights as I get home early, I’ve pulled back from going out too. Only 2 more loads of laundry left and a mirror to be hung on the wall (BF’s job!) and the place is done and decorated. OH’s son will hopefully be starting to come and stay overnight from December time onwards so we’re keeping our eyes peeled for a little fold-away/futon bed at a decent price. We’d rather a new one than used so any suggestions are welcome.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 20th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Iím off to the bingo tonight with my Mum and my closest gal pal, I canít wait as Iíve been struggling with losing my friendship circleÖ I know Iíve mentioned some problems but I donít hear from them at all now, for months communication has only been me reaching out to them which Iíve stopped. One of my close friends sent me very confusing messages because I went to get my nails soaked off when I got out of the hospital, she was angry at me for not offering to take her or messaging her to tell her I was doing it. Her messages were up and down and I couldnít tell if she was saying sorry for being upset about something so silly or laying in to me. I consequently got attacked by a clique sheís formed which ended up in me leaving what had been a fun night out as they got very personal and I walked home choking back tearsÖ. It seemed like theyíd all discussed this matter as they had pre-formed opinions about the situation, I was none-the-wiser anyone was upset with meÖ specifically over something so trivial! I spoke to my boyfriend and heís very blunt and honest, I asked him a few times if he could see where Iíd gone wrong and he said that sincerely he canít fathom what their issue is and he was really disappointed by how rubbish everyone was when I was bedbound and did wonder then why I was friends with them. Aside from my closest girlfriend (who is also being mildly punished for associating with me) Iíve decided to just move on, theyíre not friends and Iíve been pushed to make so many apologies even though I really do feel Iíve not done anything wrong, I canít keep saying sorry to people for things that are not a problem. My best friend spoke to some acquaintances who have been friends with this particular girl in the past and they said they she did similar to them, went nuts over something tiny and made them feel terrible then told all their friends over-dramatized versions of events so they side with her. High school springs to mind, Iím too old for this!

In terms of money I have 2 items left on eBay and another 2 to list (tomorrow while BF works late), hopefully I win at the bingo tonight as Iím owed some good luck! I set £15 aside for the bingo when we got back from holiday so I donít need to worry about paying for it. Payday is approaching swiftly which I am very excited about, canít wait to pay my bills for the month and start to recover financially after our holiday. We have plenty of food in the house and no plans to go out except BF has his little boy this Sunday and my Mum is really pressuring us to go to her house for dinner Saturday evening, Iím trying desperately to postpone to next weekend when I can afford the fuel but sheís really pushing this weekend which means sheís probably got something she wants to discuss with us. Iíd love to go on Saturday but financially it would be much easier to go next week.
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 20th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    wellylass89
    Just catching up Sauce, glad you had a nice time away but sorry to hear you were ill when you got back!

Bingo sounds like fun and maybe just what you need, sorry to hear about your so called friends.. I had a similar incident with my ex best friend a few years ago, she just turned one day called me all sorts saying I wasn't helping her with this or that.. absolutely broke my heart I bent over backwards for her and I couldn't work out what I'd done wrong and for a long time I assumed I was this terrible person! Alas it turned out I wasn't the only person she'd done it to and it was clear the problem was all hers not mine.. but don't be hard on yourself you don't need people like that in your life.. I literally have 3 friends who I know would have my back come hell or high water they all live ages away from me so I don't see them often but when we do it's like old times and seems to make up for our time apart.

Good luck for bingo

Welly x
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 20th Sep 17, 1:48 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Good Afternoon Wellylass!

Lovely to hear from you, thanks for stopping in!

Yep, sounds like you know my situation pretty well. This particular individual does have sincere mental health issues but I have always had her back, Iíve picked her up, dropped her home, taken her on little days out, paid for her to get her nails done when she was feeling a bit low, written letters for her, helped her boyfriend write an important letter for her, cooked group dinners, driven everyone out to KFC for a little get together (even though Iím veggie and allergic to paprika!), remembered to send a card when she was feeling rubbish and the list continues. I canít see how me taking myself for a 10 minute nail appointment when I was really poorly has panned out this way. Iím trying not to be a victim but after I was laid in to at the pub I do feel a little ganged up on. Thereís no huge argument happened but there may as well have been as I now donít hear from anyone or get invited to anything, Iíve been thinking I must be absolutely dreadful for people to just cut me off like this. My best friend from the group has been amazing, we cook each other dinner, we do things like tonight together, we go to the supermarket together, she visited me in the hospital and popped in for cups of tea when I was bored out of my mind whilst recovering. Thatís a real friend and I would 100% do the same for her, we always invite this other girl and recently sheís not come to anything, presumably so she can justify this behaviour with a Ďtheyíve excluded meí just like primary school!

Itís toxic so I am actually better off well shot of this group of people, it just seems a shame as they were my Ďcoreí group of friends and now I have to work on building up friendships with others that I have perhaps neglected for this selfish group of people instead!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,823Posts Today

7,179Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin