Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 758Posts
    • 692Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt!
    • 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt! 10th Sep 16 at 11:35 AM
    Hi guys!

I had a debt-free diary that started in 2014 and so much has changed in my life since that it's time to start fresh with some new ideas.

I work full-time, live alone in a flat that I privately rent, have a car and not many commitments. I will do an outline of my costs in the next post.

I am currently taking some exams via my job that will result in a much better paid position. I do usertesting when I have some free time so supplement my income, I'm a bit of an eBay whiz & I've been on a mission to reduce my food waste and utilise my full size freezer.

I owe £450 on a credit card, this is from some new clothes I desperately needed, my home insurance renewal & a couple of trips to a wholesaler to buy some bulk items. I also 'owe' my grandmother £6,000,00, this my flat deposit, some of my moving fees and my car. This doesn't need to be paid back any time soon, I had started paying it off but needed the money during a brief period of unemployment.

I look forward to starting a new journey!
    Loan (overpaying): £3,600 £3,093.60
    Car Insurance: £550.82 £410.82
    Credit Card: £781
    Car PCP: £11,450 £10,665.54
Page 11
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 3rd Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    So today is the dreaded ‘bill day’ for my bank account but this month it wasn’t all that dreaded! Still have £163 left and £550 for my car insurance renewal sat in my online saver. I’ve got cash set aside for the holiday which I am topping up by £50 to bring the balance to £250.00, we need to meet up and budget this holiday and two members of the group are messing about when it comes to passports, putting my foot down this week. I’ll be arranging that on my lunch break. This leaves me with £113.00 + £50.00 overtime to be paid in (a friend is doing it for me this week).

Work is busy and I’m finding it hard to juggle the mental exhaustion with my high level of responsibility in terms of my home-life, being there for my friends (one has asked me to take a day off to take him to the doctor), keeping up with my family who rely on me contacting them rather than vice versa as they’re so busy, having quality time on weekends to spend with my boyfriend and also time to relax alone at home (which I think I do need at least once a week). My friends are really reliant on me which is lovely as they know they can trust and confide in me but also I’m having to spread myself thin between 4 people having breakdowns at the moment. I’m losing weight as I’m so busy all the time it feels like I don’t actually have time to eat and when I do eat I feel sick after a small portion, this is concerning as I used to be underweight and have worked hard to maintain a healthy body weight for a long time, I am keeping an eye on it.

To try and eliminate the negativity I write a list every week for things I need to get done as it helps me manage my time better, here is this weeks (this is just for me to reference and see if I get it done!):

- Secure 14th July Annual Leave off work. (Monday requested to be confirmed on Tuesday)
    - Ensure friend joins up to a GP surgery in the next 48 hours to make sure I don’t take a day off and he can’t actually see a doctor (Monday lunchtime)
    - Make sure the same friend and another friend get their passports sorted as we can’t book anything else holiday related without them (Tuesday lunchtime – send message to remind them everyone is waiting on them)
    - Go to Aldi and buy pasta & a sauce and have friend who had (understandable and justified) meltdown yesterday over for dinner (Monday)
    - Wash: bedding (Monday), towels (Tuesday), dark clothes (Wednesday), light clothes (Thursday).
    - Add boyfriend to car breakdown cover as his car is having some engine trouble and it’s free to add him & his car to my cover (Wednesday).
    - Ask friend to pay cheque in to bank and drop it round to her with bank card as she offered (drop round on Tuesday, pick back up on Wednesday or Thursday).
    - Sort through Tupperware (it’s falling out of the cupboard every day!) and find a better home for it (Thursday).
    - Say no to any social gatherings this week and spend some time getting things straight at home and with friends (all week).
    - Call Anglian Water and remind them to send e-mail about how to perform the leak test properly (Wednesday).
    - Earn another £10 on consumer pulse (7,200/10,000 points)
    - Wrap mum and nieces birthday presents (Monday night whilst chatting to friend)
    - Get birthday card for mum and niece (Tuesday lunchtime)
    - Eat three meals a day (all week)
    Last edited by sauceoclock; 05-07-2017 at 4:17 PM.
    • hign10pines
    • By hign10pines 3rd Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    hign10pines
    what's happened with the Uni degree, have you decided not to do it now?

Surveys 2017: Opinion Outpost - £5 £10 | Prolific - £20.55 £65
    Debt: £7462 | 1250 OD | 189 Aqua | 4773 Loan | 460 Lloyds | 435 Marbles | 355 Barclaycard
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 4th Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    what's happened with the Uni degree, have you decided not to do it now?
    Originally posted by hign10pines
    Yes, thatís right.. I completed my application and even did the knowledge tests I needed but I had an in-depth chat with several friends whoíve done it and they all (bar one who works in a private school) told me not to and they hate what theyíre doing. It was quite jarring and I decided not to leave the comfort of what I know for the unknown whilst things were so up in the air for me, who knows if it was the right choice or not, if I still feel I want to next year then I can always apply for the 2018 entry.

In terms of everything else Iím feeling much better today, already had a more productive morning at work tackling my workload bit by bit, those lists really coming in handy to keep me organised! Had a couple of the girls over for dinner last night, cost me £10 all in at Aldi and that also included picking up some bathroom cleaner and tonightís dinner so not bad. Was nice to see them and catch up as yesterday it had all kicked off in the group (whilst I was at work) and the girl whoís been the root cause of the issues weíve been having (she has taken everyone for a ride and manipulated everyone at some point to cause a scene or drama) is now no longer going to be a part of anything Ė a good result in my books and I hope she learns from the experience, I am glad to not have to be around her anymore.

Got up this morning a little earlier, put my washing on a timer to finish when I get home tonight. I have dinner sorted for tonight and I just need to do my dishes and then refer back to my list to see what tonightís jobs are and get them done. Iím going to have an early night tonight as Iím tired and I quite fancy a night in to myself just to chill and not have to be there for anyone, I love being the confidante but I also need to look out for myself. Night off!
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 4th Jul 17, 7:12 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    You are a very caring person sauce , enjoy your night off.
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3549 CC 2 £1000

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 5th Jul 17, 9:33 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Got home last night, had a frozen pizza (not very healthy), cut up a pineapple to have on my lunch break today, did a few of the dishes but thereís still a couple bits soaking. The washing was all done on the timer but I sat down on the sofa and somehow zoned out for 2 hours just thinking about everything, it was almost like meditating but I didnít come out of it feeling very chilled out, if anything I made myself more stressed! Iíve had to put the washing back on the timer again this morning which is a waste of the detergent, electricity and water (grr) but I will definitely hang it out when I get home tonight as Iím having another solo night in. Spoke to my boyfriend about some things that have been worrying me and he put my mind at ease, Iím really so lucky to have found him as heís so understanding and kind. Heís coming to visit again on Friday evening, I canít wait to see him and give him a big hug Ė I feel like I need it this week!

Still being pretty MSEÖ havenít spent a penny in the last few days. All my bills are now paid and I have some money put aside for my car insurance.

I have next Friday booked off work to take my friend to the doctor (havenít arranged it yet but itíll need to be in the morning), going to high-tail it home to see my Mum and Niece and then off to Leeds myself. Iíve set £60 aside for fuel and food on my trip this morning. Iíve asked if I can have the Friday before the August bank holiday off work and Iím thinking about booking some cheap flights from Leeds and an air bnb in Berlin and having a long weekend away with my boyfriend, Berlin is the vegan capital of Europe so we could definitely enjoy some good grub and see a new city and after years of putting off my holidays and trips away being a complete nightmare Iíd quite like some quality time with bf somewhere new for both of us.

Itís already so much more pleasant having the horrible girl out of the group of friends. Weíve started a new group chat without her where everyone seems a bit more positive and happy-go-lucky, weíre all really invigorated for our holidayÖ. Less than 70 days to go till I jet off to France for a whole week of quality friend time!
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 7th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    coastalchick
    I'm all for getting rid of horrid people!!!! Glad things are much better on that front and you sound a worrier like me!!!

France will be fun. I highly recommend getting extra baguettes and making garlic bread with some and reserving others then having a game of baguette cricket and baguette javelin - we did that (but only because loads left over and was going to go stale) and was hilarious!!!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 7th Jul 17, 9:49 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    I'm all for getting rid of horrid people!!!! Glad things are much better on that front and you sound a worrier like me!!!

France will be fun. I highly recommend getting extra baguettes and making garlic bread with some and reserving others then having a game of baguette cricket and baguette javelin - we did that (but only because loads left over and was going to go stale) and was hilarious!!!
    Originally posted by coastalchick
    Definitely sounds like something we would do.. Iíll get some reserve bread in! We can break it up and chuck it in the fishing lake for the fish when we are done too!

Woohoo! Itís Friday today, canít blinkiní wait for my weekend! Iíve had a spendy few days in terms of food shopping, have bought an office chair etc. Iím now stocked up on some vegan goodies for BF when he visits/eventually moves in and can finally sit and do my usertesting at my desk! Got up early this morning, changed my sheets so BF and I have fresh sheets to sleep in tonight (we are both shattered after long weeks), had a really relaxing long shower and spent a little time doing my face and hair, even had time to have breakfast which is a rarity for me. Itís so humid today I am going to get the fan out and wedge it in to the window to blow some fresh air round the room while we sleep.

Iím hating work at the moment, I am filled with dread for it as itís so desperately busy all the time, everyone is applying heavy pressure on my team and acting like we sit twiddling our thumbs all day when really we are probably the busiest people in the office 75% of the time. Itís so depressing never getting to the end of anythingÖ I definitely need a break, just 6-7 weeks and I get my long weekend.. Got to keep positive!
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 9th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    coastalchick
    i have a good boutique hotel recommendation for Berlin - ackselhaus and blue home - was in a really cool area where just a couple of stops on underground will get you to all sights but enough out of way that it was calm and peaceful. Loads of good restaurants in the area (vietnamese was particularly good and there was a fabulous italian which had chocolate orange cannoli!)
    • Princesssparkle
    • By Princesssparkle 9th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Princesssparkle
    Hello, just stumbled across your diary and ended up reading the whole thing.

Wow you've been through so much and you've stayed so positive throughout all of it. You're doing great.

It's lovely to see you've got your friendship group reunited and have found a man who treats you and makes you feel how you deserve!

Went to Berlin in December and had the most wonderful time! You'll love it! We stayed on Frankfuter Allee think the hotel was called Arcadia or something. Basic but in a perfect location, felt really safe and very MSE!

Their LIDL is sooo much better than ours and every morning we would go to their fresh bakery and grab our breakfast. X
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 18th Jul 17, 11:38 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Nice to have you aboard Princess! Thanks for your recommendations girls, will definitely check those out!

Havenít been well so sorry for no update in a while! Keeping positive, on antibiotics atm as I have an infection that is making me feel dreadful Ė theyíll see me feeling better in a couple of days, struggling through work (wasnít in last week as I was so ill) and just failing out in the evenings.

I have managed to put boyfriendís art up on the walls and unpack the bags of stuff I had of his, it looks lovely and is making the house feel more like a home. He moves in on the 27th, I canít wait to have him around (he got a job in my city). Weíre staying in a nice hotel that an ex client of mine owns in Leeds central this weekend and weíll be packing up some of his stuff and Iíll bring it back with me, bit nicer moving in waves rather than all at once as I get to organise it all and make it all nice and tidy, when he arrives itís just the last few bits and bobs to find homes for.

In terms of MSE, ticking along nicely to payday. Last month of paying for everything alone and about to find myself with some more disposable, will be getting my loan paid down within 12 months and then on to saving for a house deposit. Canít believe how different my life is going to be with BF hereÖ I really hope it all works out as it just feels right!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 31st Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    So, all this being unwell recently has really come to a head, I'm off work sick AGAIN, it's all been certified by the hospital and my GP as I ended up staying as an inpatient in hospital for a couple nights... Mystery illness continues but the pain and nausea and general symptoms I have all point to gall stones. I have been poked, prodded, stabbed, squeezed, scanned and drugged for so long now I just want to go back to work. I feel dreadful at abandoning them, I'll never get a promotion or a payrise ever again and I'm depressed just sitting in the house in pain.

My wonderful wonderful boyfriend has shown me throughout all of this that he is absolutely the one for me. He didn't leave my side, he's moved in to the house now and is at the induction for his new job until tomorrow night and I'm really missing him... He brought me so many lovely things to the hospital and has looked after me tirelessly without complaint. I'm currently buying him a thank you gift as I can't sleep (tossing and turning and threw up in the night.. joy!).
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 31st Jul 17, 6:38 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Have sent you a PM but so sorry to hear you are sick and make sure you rest up! Your bf sounds lovely - def a keeper!! x
    • Princesssparkle
    • By Princesssparkle 13th Aug 17, 8:54 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Princesssparkle
    Hey sauce, sorry I've been MIA. Had a ton going on and sounds the same for you too!

Great news on the Boyf front and I hope all is going well there and will ease the financial pressure of living alone

Im really sorry to hear you've been ill. How are you doing? I hope you're feeling better.

I didn't catch what month France was in but I hope you've either had/do have a nice time x
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 13th Aug 17, 11:07 AM
    • 4,769 Posts
    • 20,788 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope you're feeling better x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 30th Aug 17, 10:38 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Long time, no update. So sorry about that I ended up in a living nightmareÖ. Iíve just completed about 6 weeks signed off work sick and a 1.5 week stint in the hospital with a severely infected kidney. I returned to work yesterday and I am working 25hrs per week for September with a look to review this at the end of the month (I canít do full time yet as Iím quite weak and very tired all the time). Glad to be back! Work paid me my full time hours for my stint of sickness so I donít have any financial burdens to worry about for now and my 25 hours is paid at pro-rata of my salary which means Iíll only lose about £300 netÖ. Which Iím sure I can make from the mountain of eBay sales I have to make!

Financially things have really changed. My boyfriend has moved in and pays half of the household bills, we have been approved for a joint bank account and both will be setting up a standing order for £200 per month and this will be our grocery account for which neither of us will carry the debit card unless we are going to the supermarket. We have booked a holiday to Amsterdam for the week after next which came to £700 total including flights, this is on my credit card and I have just paid my half off, I will get my boyfriendís half in a few days as his gran sent him a cheque that pays for it and that is clearing this week.

Iíve made a couple of overpayments on my loan as my boyfriendís presence in the house means I have some extra money, where Iíve been sick weíve barely spent a thing on things like going out or loads of food etc. and in amongst my stir craziness from being cooped up in the house I managed to get everything organised and the place looks fantastic. Updated my signature. All being well I should be able to overpay about another £300 this month even with the holiday and pro-rata hours. Great news as thatís pretty much 1/10th of the balance and if this continues then the loan will be paid off within 10 months. I much prefer having a loan to a credit card as I canít just spend spend spend (I know the holiday went on a credit card but that was for added protection in the event of cancellation and has now been paid off by me).
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 7th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    All systems go at the momentÖ Holiday commences in 2 days!

Got our travel insurance, flights, hotel, airport parking, euros, book-able days out all sorted. I tentatively started packing last night but Iím doing the real deal tonight, BF is meeting his ex tonight so will be stressed out when he gets home so I want to cook some dinner, Iím thinking soup as itís easy and whilst itís simmering I can crack on. I have done SO much washing and housework in the last few days Iím considering opening a launderette.. The way I figure is if I get myself super organised over the next 2 days then when we get back from our holiday next Thursday we get three more days of relaxing and spending some much needed quality time together.

BF got an amazing Raleigh bike on freecycle, itís a 1950 original with all the original gear system and leather pannier bag (bit ick as we donít wear leather but itís 67 years old!!), it needs a good shape up so we bought some bits and bobs for it on the cheap and we plan to spend a couple days working on it next weekendÖ Beers and bicycles!

In terms of finances, everything is sort of okay, car finance is ticking down nicely (itís PCP on 0% so Iím not making overpayments and I drive the car far less than the mileage they allow me so hopefully positive equity when the plan ends), I am making moves with my loan and my credit card is coming back down nicely as BF has paid his portion of euros and then he is paying £460 tomorrow when he is paid. Heís paid all his bills for the month too 😊. Next month will be a minimum payment month due to my cut in salary and the cost of our holiday. I know it might seem nuts going on holiday when I have debt but Iíve paid 10% of my loan off in a month and after being so desperately sick and hospitalised we could use a break from all the trauma.

Hope everyone is doing well, sorry for sporadic updates.. so much happening!
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 7th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Enjoy your hols Sauce! You deserve it!!!! x
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 7th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 4,769 Posts
    • 20,788 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Enjoy your hols Sauce! You deserve it!!!! x
    Originally posted by coastalchick
    From me too!! You definitely deserve the break x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 8th Sep 17, 1:41 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    MrJester
    Hey sauce so sorry to hear you were going through such a rough time with your kidney! That must have sucked hard. Glad you're back at it though and all sounding positive otherwise, very astute with your money as always!
    My new 2017 Batman-like debt free diary (£26k+)!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 8th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Thank you all! Canít wait for tomorrow morning now. We havenít packed yet (except for me decanting our toiletries in to travel size containers) as all the laundry I did wasnít properly dry and I wasnít about to risk any of the clothes being a little damp in a suitcase Ė yuck! I do really feel like we both deserve a break, itís been so dreadful for my OH when I was in the hospital and so reliant on him helping me at home and obviously I wasnít exactly thrilled with renal colic pain!

Picked up a mirror we bought at IKEA weeks ago yesterday evening (we have the flagship store in Norwich where you can just order stuff to it to pick up for free). BF is going to be hanging it when we get back from holiday Ė itís gorgeous and the last Ďhouseí thing we were both pining for. Our nest is finally feeling complete!

Just looked over all my finances again and they are fine. Itís so weird to say that Ė hi Iím Sauceoclock and I have a good grip on my finances!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

10Posts Today

3,375Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin