Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 590Posts
    • 269Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt!
    • 10th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    Single, independent & in (a little bit of) debt! 10th Sep 16 at 11:35 AM
    Hi guys!

I had a debt-free diary that started in 2014 and so much has changed in my life since that it's time to start fresh with some new ideas.

I work full-time, live alone in a flat that I privately rent, have a car and not many commitments. I will do an outline of my costs in the next post.

I am currently taking some exams via my job that will result in a much better paid position. I do usertesting when I have some free time so supplement my income, I'm a bit of an eBay whiz & I've been on a mission to reduce my food waste and utilise my full size freezer.

I owe £450 on a credit card, this is from some new clothes I desperately needed, my home insurance renewal & a couple of trips to a wholesaler to buy some bulk items. I also 'owe' my grandmother £6,000,00, this my flat deposit, some of my moving fees and my car. This doesn't need to be paid back any time soon, I had started paying it off but needed the money during a brief period of unemployment.

I look forward to starting a new journey!
    Using my most realistic finance plan to date and happy
    Cut-Up Credit Card Balance: 1195.54 £1142.58 (4.4% Paid)
    Christmas Shopping: 2 gifts left!
    Money owed to parents: £350 £300 (14% Paid)
    2017 Car Costs Savings: £0
Page 1
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Sep 16, 11:51 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    • 10th Sep 16, 11:51 AM
    • 10th Sep 16, 11:51 AM
    Income:
    £1,365.15 (1% pension contribution)

Rent:
    £550.00
    Council Tax:
    £84
    Gas:
    £16.25
    Electricity:
    £16.25
    Water:
    £15.00
    Internet
    £17.70
    Gym
    £16.99
    Mobile Phone
    £36
    Car Insurance
    £150.00
    Food Shopping
    £150.00
    Fuel
    £80.00
    Credit Card
    £100.00

Total:
    £1,232.19
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    • 10th Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    • 10th Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    I had some time off, I sold some things kicking around my flat that I've been meaning to get rid of, I made £40.00 on eBay which is still in my PayPal account. I still have some items that I've reduced in price today.

I'm hoping to do a few usertests in the evenings this week as I've decided to curb my 'out' evenings and spend more time at home, studying for my CeMAP and saving money. At the moment I prepare all my work-lunches for the week on a Sunday and tub them up in the fridge.

The £150 for car insurance in my costs above is money put aside so I can pay for my annual policy and not put it on a credit card. The renewal is in October so as of then the amount put aside per month is going to be £50, freeing up £100 extra for my credit card, with this in mind my credit card will be settled and closed in December.

It's my childhood best friend's birthday tomorrow, I already gave her a card and voucher and there are 8 of us going for dinner to celebrate (including her lovely children). I'm going to buy a few bits to put on the table (confetti etc.) tomorrow, I'm going to walk in to the city and use some change from my change-pot to pay for it. I'm also going to be baking her birthday cake from scratch tonight so need to check the ingredients I have in the cupboard and pick up any I require.

I'm getting a tonsillectomy soon which will mean 2 weeks of recovery (one week with my parents and the second week back at my flat in my own bed). I'm hoping I'll be feeling well enough in the second week to try and locate some freelance work to make some extra money whilst I feel poorly.

I am going to start taking on NSD challenges! As of September 28th (payday) I'm going to turn over a new leaf and start challenging myself to NSD's and make ££ a day challenges. I'm excited to see how I do!
    Last edited by sauceoclock; 10-09-2016 at 12:30 PM.
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 10th Sep 16, 8:00 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    Kitten868
    • 10th Sep 16, 8:00 PM
    • 10th Sep 16, 8:00 PM
    Tonsillectomy as an adult is no cake walk. It's horrible. I had no idea how bad it would be. I would plan for at least 10 days at your parents. After 2 weeks you will be fine I'm not trying to worry you I just want you to have realistic expectations. I think I just about managed some yoghurt. I was told it was easy. Also get a wipe board as you can't talk and sign language gets you nowhere.
    So good riddance to the credit card then pay back your nan £100 a month and £100 to emergency fund? Is that your plan? Great work on the ebaying xxx
    Loan 1 £8000/£8000
    Loan 2 £5800/£5800
    Total £13800/£13800
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 12th Sep 16, 9:56 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    • 12th Sep 16, 9:56 AM
    • 12th Sep 16, 9:56 AM
    Hi Kitten868! Don't worry, I am very well prepared for how difficult it's going to be, I know everyone is different but nobody has led me to believe it's a simple and nice healing process ! I get tonsillitis on average every 6 weeks that requires a full week off work because it's so severe, the tonsillectomy is not a choice I've taken lightly but really my only option as I'm now antibiotic resistant with 3 different types!

I can't stay at my parents for the full 2 weeks as my Mum works weird shift patterns on a fortnightly basis, I'm being delivered back to my own home on day 8 with lots of supplies and a friend coming up to stay for the remainder of my recovery to look after me (thankful for my wonderful friends).

Once my car costs are sorted (Insurance, MOT, Tax are all within a month of each other and I know 2 things need to be done before my MOT in November) then absolutely, £100 CC and £100 Nan (whilst I'm putting this money away to pay her back, she has expressed several times she doesn't want it back ever and it's my inheritance to be enjoyed whilst she can see me enjoy it. Therefore this could sort of be seen as the beginnings of a house deposit)
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 12th Sep 16, 10:03 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    • 12th Sep 16, 10:03 AM
    • 12th Sep 16, 10:03 AM
    Had a naughty weekend this weekend, 2 expensive G&T's on Friday night and then FOUR expensive drinks and a wetherspoons dinner on Saturday. A friend paid me back £15.00 that I'll pay in at the bank next week during my annual leave towards the costs.

I'm supposed to be going to London to go to Bob Bob Ricard with a friend and her boyfriend on Saturday. Frankly, it immensely depresses me she's invited her boyfriend to our girls catch up and it's really expensive so I'm thinking of cancelling all together. Is that mean? We've had these plans for months but it'll mean putting it on my credit card and building up more debt. As well as the fuel to drive to and from London just to go for dinner, not really something someone on a budget should be doing.
    Last edited by sauceoclock; 12-09-2016 at 10:08 AM.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 12th Sep 16, 11:15 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    • 12th Sep 16, 11:15 AM
    • 12th Sep 16, 11:15 AM
    RE: the above.. I've cancelled, can't afford it!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 20th Sep 16, 12:48 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    • 20th Sep 16, 12:48 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 12:48 PM
    So I'm on my week off work, so far it's been cooking food from my freezer (I'm on a mission to empty my freezer before my next food shop and my reduction in food waste has me eating up everything from my fridge).

I'm supposed to be using this week to revise for my first CeMAP exam which is in October but I've done 4 mock exams and passed them all so I'm being quite lazy. I've *PROMISED* myself I'm going to study all day tomorrow and then chill in the evening. Today I'm meeting a friend for a drink tonight (change from my change pot, OJ and lemonade from my favourite bar).

Really annoyed as my internet has been really playing up, did a usertest yesterday and lost out on the $15 payment because it didn't upload in time due to a bad connection. Oh well.

What are you all doing?
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 20th Sep 16, 1:34 PM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    Coxy11
    • 20th Sep 16, 1:34 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 1:34 PM
    Had a naughty weekend this weekend, 2 expensive G&T's on Friday night and then FOUR expensive drinks and a wetherspoons dinner on Saturday. A friend paid me back £15.00 that I'll pay in at the bank next week during my annual leave towards the costs.

I'm supposed to be going to London to go to Bob Bob Ricard with a friend and her boyfriend on Saturday. Frankly, it immensely depresses me she's invited her boyfriend to our girls catch up and it's really expensive so I'm thinking of cancelling all together. Is that mean? We've had these plans for months but it'll mean putting it on my credit card and building up more debt. As well as the fuel to drive to and from London just to go for dinner, not really something someone on a budget should be doing.
    Originally posted by sauceoclock
    I have a friend who does this to me a lot. Not dinner dates but when we arrange to meet for coffee, there is usually someone else sitting in Starbucks with her (who I've never met). I just think it's plain rude

Hope the op goes well, and good luck on your DF journey x
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Currently reading: The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 2nd Oct 16, 1:28 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hi All,

Soooo I've had my tonsils out!! I got a phone-call last Thursday asking me to come in on Wednesday so it's been all systems go! I'm recovering well and frankly feel like a complete hard-nut because I've been eating crunchy food and being brave with my recovery :'). My tonsils were apparently extremely bad and dangerous as they had basically died and were rotting (cue me nearly being sick).

My car insurance is all set-up to renew, not as bad as I thought at a cool £448.... Considering I'm still under 25 and had an accident I'm pleased with that. Payment comes out on the 11th which is my renewal date.

I've paid £150 off my credit card, this is going to be a relatively cheap month as my food bills will be reduced, fuel bills will be dramatically reduced (off work until the 13th and have a full tank!) and should be getting a £100 bonus for passing my CeMAP exam first time. Fingers crossed!!!

My car is being repaired tomorrow (new exhaust.. *groans* and brake pads), our family friend is a mechanic and he does it for the love of it so doesn't charge me labour, I just pay for the parts and some beers. Then I know it'll pass it's MOT as it's had a good going over lately and all is well.

Can't wait to get myself back to work.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 2nd Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Also, I've realised there is a payday between now and my MOT/Car Tax so I'll be able to pay for those out of my next pay (my £100 bonus will cover both) feeling pleased.
    • lulabelle
    • By lulabelle 2nd Oct 16, 4:15 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    lulabelle
    hey there

Your diary sounds interesting so am subscribing!

hope you are recovering x
    I want to be a writer
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 2nd Oct 16, 10:44 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    hey there

Your diary sounds interesting so am subscribing!

hope you are recovering x
    Originally posted by lulabelle
    Thank you! It's much better than I thought it would be so in a way I'm glad everyone gave me horror stories as I was fully prepared for the worst!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 17th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hello all!

My credit card balance has crept up due to the time of year and number of renewals I’ve had to pay, plus a large bill from e-on (long story) that needed paying, it’s time to focus on getting my balance back down to zero. My credit rating has taken a beating this year as I moved house, changed bank accounts, closed credit card accounts and now I have a proportionately large balance on my cc. To combat this I intend to keep my current account (co-operative bank) for the foreseeable future, get my credit card paid down and hopefully the bill accounts etc. will stabilise my rating as I’ve never missed a payment on anything (ever).

I’ve started my xmas shopping (I am always over-prepared) and have all the wrapping paper etc. so I’m well on the way to saving some money in December which can be expensive due to the long pay-day due to time off etc. I’ve been seeing a lovely person who is great, he and I have been home-making lots of food which works out cheaper than going out for dinner. He and I are going clothes shopping (for him) this Saturday and I’m going to give him £20 of my consumer pulse vouchers for topman as he has been paying for everything when we do go out.

Lastly, I sat my CeMAP 1 exam last week, I passed one unit and marginally failed the other unit by 2 marks so I’ve booked my resit for the 3rd November, at least now I only have one unit to focus on!

Signature update and payday/overall plan to follow. Set myself a goal to BE REALISTIC as my plans are often unrealistic and hard to stick to.

xxxxxxx
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 17th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Forgot to add, found 200 points in an old e-on account so I just exchanged those for clubcard vouchers... 1700 points on my xmas savers now!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 21st Oct 16, 9:39 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Made a complaint to Halifax because they didn't close an account they were supposed to, for my inconvenience they transferred me £40! Keeping it in my bank account and intend to use it to pay back my Mum for some car repairs. Payday next week can't come sooner so I can get my financial plan in action!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 1st Nov 16, 11:42 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hello all!

Pay day arrived!

I withdrew £100 for fuel for the month which is in an envelope and £130 for food for the month which is also in an envelope. I need to pay about £50 of my food money to the bank because I didn't have the cash on me and bought some bits for my boyfriend's house along with some food. We are staying in and cooking pretty much every night and not going out a lot as we both want to save some dosh.

I'm going to be moving in here in March when my tenancy ends (exciting!). At that time I'll be selling some of my furniture on gumtree, I will use the proceeds to pay back some of the money I owe to my grandmother (which she doesn't want but I want to have it aside) my washing machine will be going in the kitchen here as it's a fabulous one and was very expensive. I'll need some help to move which I will ask of my parents and will get a van from a friend at the time to make the move as easy as possible. At the moment I don't know if my boyfriend's lodger will be staying, if she is (which is fine she's a friend of mine) then I'll have to store some things in his garage. He has off-road parking so no risk of a parking ticket like where I live now and it'll be significantly cheaper to live here. I haven't stayed in my flat for a little over a week so it's a waste to keep it for another 12 months when I don't live there.

OH and I are going to Bath in December. It's his xmas present from me (plus a couple of shirts I got on offer yesterday) so I've got a £241 air bnb bill on my credit card at the moment, I know this is a significant amount of money but I haven't been on holiday in years and we just want to get away for a weekend near christmas. My financial plan now is so much more manageable and I've renewed all my insurances (for which I will receive discount when I move here due to the garage for my car and I will cancel my contents as OH works for an insurance company and insures himself through work) so I'm feeling more confident financially.

My CeMAP resit is on Thursday so I will be studying for that all day today. I'm very nervous about it and pray I pass!!!!!!!

How are you all doing? xxxx
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 3rd Nov 16, 5:51 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Passed my CeMAP 1 today, treating myself to a takeaway and a bath tonight! On to CeMAP exam 2..... I can do this!
    • loopybecs
    • By loopybecs 3rd Nov 16, 7:29 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 1,692 Thanks
    loopybecs
    Hi Sauce!! I recognise your name, I'm pretty sure I was subscribed to your last diary!! Congratulations on passing your exam!! That's amazing Enjoy the takeaway xxx
    Mortgage: £90,000.00 £81,767.97
    B@rcl@yc@rd: £5,430.49 £5,430.49
    Loan From Parents: £12,500.00 £12,500.00
    Mama to 2 little girlies
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 3rd Nov 16, 8:13 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hi Sauce!! I recognise your name, I'm pretty sure I was subscribed to your last diary!! Congratulations on passing your exam!! That's amazing Enjoy the takeaway xxx
    Originally posted by loopybecs
    Oh my gosh! Hello!!! You stopped logging in and I always wondered how you were getting on! How are the girls?!?!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,003Posts Today

5,757Users online

Martin's Twitter