Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • krazyhorse
    • By krazyhorse 9th Sep 16, 4:40 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 23Thanks
    krazyhorse
    Athena ANPR ltd - royal stitch up
    • 9th Sep 16, 4:40 PM
    Athena ANPR ltd - royal stitch up 9th Sep 16 at 4:40 PM
    Hi Guys

I received a letter from Athena ANPR ltd showing pic of me entering car park at around 9am and leaving about 5.30pm.

They want £45 from me if I pay within 14 days.

Now the funny thing is - they didnt show me the pics of me exiting the car park at about 9.15am, and re-entering at probably around 5.15pm again on the same day.

It's a Lidl car park, a few mins from where I work. I must have gone there to get my breakfast (I got the letter today, and the offence was on Thursday 1st Sep - so they expect me to remember what I got for breakfast and have the receipt???), drove to work where parking is FREE - then after work, I must have gone back to Lidl to pick up some more groceries. Why would I park there all day when I parked at work for FREE?

I will appeal - but if this escalates, can I ask the council, or the police or SOMEONE that controls CCTV in the borough, to disprove the quite frankly - ROYAL STITCH up, Athena are trying to accuse me of?

I am absolutely Livid that they think they can get away with this - but just wanted to vent, to see if anyone else has been stitched up like this and how did they get help to resolve?

Thanks all.
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Sep 16, 4:44 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    waamo
    • 9th Sep 16, 4:44 PM
    • 9th Sep 16, 4:44 PM
    Try reading this in the dedicated parking section

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822
    This space for hire.
    • krazyhorse
    • By krazyhorse 9th Sep 16, 4:53 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    krazyhorse
    • 9th Sep 16, 4:53 PM
    • 9th Sep 16, 4:53 PM
    Hi There Waamo, thanks for the thread, but that covers:

"I believe that your signs fail the test of 'large lettering' and prominence, as established in ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis. Your unremarkable and obscure signs were not seen by the driver, are in very small print and the terms are not readable to drivers before they park."

My issue is the STITCH UP described initially - but still, thank you for pointing this out to me, I can still pinch bits from the template, thanks.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    • 57,708 Posts
    • 40,797 Thanks
    soolin
    • 9th Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    • 9th Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    Moved to the sub board for better responses
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Redx
    • By Redx 9th Sep 16, 5:00 PM
    • 12,463 Posts
    • 14,880 Thanks
    Redx
    • 9th Sep 16, 5:00 PM
    • 9th Sep 16, 5:00 PM
    its called double dipping and parking prankster has blogged about it many times and yes these PPC,s try it on hundreds of times

that thread you were pointed to tells you how to appeal it

no the police and council wont get involved , almost nobody will

complain LOUDLY to LIDL and get it cancelled asap
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Sep 16, 5:04 PM
    • 40,629 Posts
    • 52,498 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 9th Sep 16, 5:04 PM
    • 9th Sep 16, 5:04 PM
    Hi There Waamo, thanks for the thread, but that covers:

"I believe that your signs fail the test of 'large lettering' and prominence, as established in ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis. Your unremarkable and obscure signs were not seen by the driver, are in very small print and the terms are not readable to drivers before they park."

My issue is the STITCH UP described initially...
    Originally posted by krazyhorse
    We know. But the NEWBIES thread tells you what to do, and this forum has threads like this all the time!

Here's yesterday's version, a carbon copy of your issue:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5522806

Complain to Lidl, as anyone would. Presumably you've already thought of that first, it is the obvious first step as a customer of a retailer. If the store security guard or cashier demanded £70 from you, then your first thought would be to complain to Lidl. This is no different. They cancel these all the time and should be ashamed of allowing the scam to happen.

Read that advice as if it was for you. DO NOT imply who was driving but this will get cancelled by Lidl anyway.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 09-09-2016 at 5:07 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Grimble
    • By Grimble 9th Sep 16, 5:05 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Grimble
    • 9th Sep 16, 5:05 PM
    • 9th Sep 16, 5:05 PM
    Write nasty things on their Facebook and Twitter pages.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 9th Sep 16, 5:13 PM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 4,774 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 9th Sep 16, 5:13 PM
    • 9th Sep 16, 5:13 PM
    Hi Guys

I received a letter from Athena ANPR ltd showing pic of me entering car park at around 9am and leaving about 5.30pm.

They want £45 from me if I pay within 14 days.

Now the funny thing is - they didnt show me the pics of me exiting the car park at about 9.15am, and re-entering at probably around 5.15pm again on the same day.

It's a Lidl car park, a few mins from where I work. I must have gone there to get my breakfast (I got the letter today, and the offence was on Thursday 1st Sep - so they expect me to remember what I got for breakfast and have the receipt???), drove to work where parking is FREE - then after work, I must have gone back to Lidl to pick up some more groceries. Why would I park there all day when I parked at work for FREE?

I will appeal - but if this escalates, can I ask the council, or the police or SOMEONE that controls CCTV in the borough, to disprove the quite frankly - ROYAL STITCH up, Athena are trying to accuse me of?

I am absolutely Livid that they think they can get away with this - but just wanted to vent, to see if anyone else has been stitched up like this and how did they get help to resolve?

Thanks all.
    As said it's called Double Dipping and it's ANPR cameras not CCTV

Lidl HO is the best start to explain what is happening (they already know about double dipping) and ask they cancel it.

Before that, if your car was parked in a FREE car park where you work, can you get witness statements as to the time period you were in the free car park.

You need to prove that their ANPR camera produces fake results as we know they do.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 9th Sep 16, 5:29 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 1,736 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 9th Sep 16, 5:29 PM
    • 9th Sep 16, 5:29 PM
    Have you read the BPA Guide to Double Dipping

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/1143421335/1/f_46727019953

See the phrase "Operators are aware of this and are now checking all ANPR transactions to ensure that this does not occur"

And a hat tip to Albert Ross over on Pepipoo

From the Guiding Principles contained in the Surveillance Camera Code of Practice issued by the Home Office pursuant to Section 29 of the Protection of freedoms Act 2012

12. Any information used to support a surveillance camera system which matches against a reference database for matching purposes should be accurate and kept up to date.

4.12.1 Any use of technologies such as ANPR or facial recognition systems which may rely on the accuracy of information generated elsewhere such as databases provided by others should not be introduced without regular assessment to ensure the underlying data is fit for purpose.
    Ask them when they checked and how they checked, as they have failed to follow the BPA guidance as well as that of the Surveillance Camera Code of Practice .
    General Election coming up? Your MP worried about his/her job? Give them something to do and get them to sort out these parking cowboys. Search "Theyworkforyou" for the name of your MP.
    • krazyhorse
    • By krazyhorse 10th Sep 16, 1:49 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    krazyhorse
    Guys - all I can say is a big fat THANK YOU so far for all your help and advice.

I shall now complain to BOTH Lidl and raise dispute with Athena crooks.
    I'll let you know my progress and process....

again guys, thank you.
    • krazyhorse
    • By krazyhorse 10th Sep 16, 1:50 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    krazyhorse
    Have you read the BPA Guide to Double Dipping

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/1143421335/1/f_46727019953

See the phrase "Operators are aware of this and are now checking all ANPR transactions to ensure that this does not occur"

And a hat tip to Albert Ross over on Pepipoo

Ask them when they checked and how they checked, as they have failed to follow the BPA guidance as well as that of the Surveillance Camera Code of Practice .
    Originally posted by IamEmanresu
    Had no idea about this - thank you kindly.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 10th Sep 16, 3:15 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 4,272 Thanks
    The Deep
    More reading

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GUEA_en-GBGB707GB707&q=double+dipping+poarking&gws_rd=ssl
    • krazyhorse
    • By krazyhorse 25th Sep 16, 9:47 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    krazyhorse
    UPDATE: they cancelled my ticket and rightly so! Thanks again for all your help!
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 25th Sep 16, 9:52 AM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 4,774 Thanks
    beamerguy
    UPDATE: they cancelled my ticket and rightly so! Thanks again for all your help!
    Great .... well done but who cancelled it, Lidl or the PPC
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • krazyhorse
    • By krazyhorse 12th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    krazyhorse
    Great .... well done but who cancelled it, Lidl or the PPC
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    The athena people sent me a letter cancelling the PCN (Parking not penalty!!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

282Posts Today

1,777Users online

Martin's Twitter