Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 9th Sep 16, 10:20 AM
    • 713Posts
    • 521Thanks
    Computersaysno
    Vent: HGV Drivers who 'block' dual carriageways
    • 9th Sep 16, 10:20 AM
    Vent: HGV Drivers who 'block' dual carriageways 9th Sep 16 at 10:20 AM
    I'm sick of the muppets in HGVS who can do 59.1 MPH and insist upon overtaking their colleague who can only do 59.0 MPH.

It's actually the idiot on the inside lane that's the worst...they only have to slow down for a few seconds to let the other one get past and pull in....but oh no they insist upon sitting side by side for several miles!!!

After they eventually pass each other and I can get past, I sometimes feel like pulling in front of them and slowing down to 50 to slow them down....but that would be petty, wouldn't it???
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
Page 5
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 19th Sep 16, 7:08 AM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    daytona0
    I won't quote the patronising idiot above, for fear of giving his post(s) any further credence.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Comically, by not quoting that person we are none the wiser as to who you are referring to

Love how you referred to agarnett as "somewhat patronising" and you've gone for the "patronising idiot" one with me/another person. Pure ignorance. Saying this on the one hand "why do I get HGV lorries overtaking and then completely boxing me in for several miles" and then responding like that when someone challenges the "several miles" part. If you are going to say "several miles" then you need to recognise the mathematical implications of that statement!

But I'm sure you are just exaggerating, much like you are when you call me/someone a patronising idiot and then go on to be ignorant and blank the post.

But hey ho, a second folly of life. People can be weird as well
    ent.
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 21st Sep 16, 1:43 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    owen_money
    T

It is very clear to me that many trucks' limiters have been fiddled with, but what is clearer is that fiddled with or not, there are now far too many HGV drivers who treat car drivers as the nuisance to their style of progress, and who treat them with disdain.
    Originally posted by agarnett
    Very interesting post and observations. I fully agree with the comment above in bold. As a high mileage motorway 'car driver' I have too seen this change over the last few years in attitude. It is now rare, when joining a motorway for a truck to pull into the middle lane to allow you to join, even if the lane is clear. They expect you to slow down, and if you speed up to join ahead of them you can expect flashing lights and tooting horns.
    On duel carriage ways more often than not if the want to overtake they just pull out even if that means you have to brake hard.

These are only two examples and not all truck drivers are like this, and maybe it is stress of the modern day world, but its not a change for the better. Shame
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • John_Jizzle
    • By John_Jizzle 22nd Sep 16, 10:12 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    John_Jizzle
    Have this trouble every day on the A1. Takes about 5 minutes for them to overtake causing a tail back as far as you can see in the rear view mirror.

Also coming on to the A1 I had a lorry driver behind me cut across onto the motorway before he should have. He then accelerated as fast as possible to the lorry in front of him meaning I had no room to actually move over onto it.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 22nd Sep 16, 2:13 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 5,465 Thanks
    Ilona
    I was a class 1 HGV driver for 32 years, and a bus driver. I am an ex driving instructor, and have passed five advanced driving tests in cars and lorries. Even after all this experience I am not perfect. I read all these comments and smile, same old gripes as there was thirty years ago, nothing changes.

Some people turn into monsters behind the wheel, any wheel, any vehicle, they become agitated when others get in their way. They don't give themselves enough time to complete their journey and end up making stupid mistakes through lack of concentration, which can result in loss of life.

If you want to get from A to B without incident I suggest you concentrate 100% on your driving. Take into account that others don't always do what you expect them to do, and adjust your own driving accordingly. Plan your moves based on what you see in front of you, and by that I mean half a mile in front of you, not just the few yards you can see in front of your bonnet.

Yes, it is annoying that HGV's travel side by side for a while, but if you have never been a lorry driver you don't know what it's like to haul 40 tonnes up hill and down dale, hour after hour five or six days a week. It's pretty tiring. Different loads behave differently, a lorry driver will drive according to the load he is carrying. Tall trailers will be battling against the wind. Part loaded liquid tankers will have a surge effect. Containers picked up at the docks may not be packed correctly and the load will move. Livestock trailers should be given a wide berth, the load will be moving about. Steel moves during transit when chains or straps slacken. Empty curtainsiders can easily blow over in the wind. Maximum weight loads will take a long time to accelerate going through 10 or 12 gears, and need a longer distance to slow down. Heavy lorries struggle on the uphills, and gather speed on the downhills, it's inevitable.

On top of that the driver will be on a timed delivery, pressure to get there from the office. I know all about that, I wrapped a trailer round a gate post once because they wanted me to hurry up and get back for loading. A lot of jobs now are where the lorry is double shifted. A day driver takes it out and a night driver is waiting to start when he gets back. Pressure again to get the job done.

I finished driving when I retired at 60 and I feel for the lorry drivers of today, they have a hard job. I will never criticize the person behind the wheel of a 40 tonne truck, they have my respect.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • martinbuckley
    • By martinbuckley 23rd Sep 16, 8:28 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    martinbuckley
    The A1 around Oakham springs to mind. They slow traffic to 50mph for a good 10 mile stretch. And people wonder why we hate lorry drivers.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon

I live just off that stretch and drive it every day, and whilst it is true that tailbacks occur, it must also be pointed out that around Stamford (the hilly bit of that A1 stretch), there are three entrances/exits either side of the A1 within a mile. Much of the tailback is caused by lorries moving over to allow cars to enter the A1, then finding it difficult to get back to the left hand lane because of the cars they have allowed on undertaking them.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 23rd Sep 16, 10:35 AM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 5,465 Thanks
    Ilona
    I live just off that stretch and drive it every day, and whilst it is true that tailbacks occur, it must also be pointed out that around Stamford (the hilly bit of that A1 stretch), there are three entrances/exits either side of the A1 within a mile. Much of the tailback is caused by lorries moving over to allow cars to enter the A1, then finding it difficult to get back to the left hand lane because of the cars they have allowed on undertaking them.
    Originally posted by martinbuckley
    Yes, that can easily happen. Cars come charging up the slip road and if it isn't a particularly long stretch they then force anyone in the left hand lane to move over to accommodate them. The consequence is that the lorry is then stuck in the right hand lane with nowhere to go. This is a very dangerous practice. The positioning of lorry mirrors on the nearside have improved over the years, but there are still blind spots.

FM mentions slowing traffic down to 50mph, (post has disappeared). Although cars can travel at 70mph on a dual carriageway it is not compulsory to reach that speed. Easing off the accelerator to 50mph to allow for fluctuations in the speed of traffic in front of you is no big deal. It might add five minutes onto your journey, but that is better than blowing a gasket and arriving at your destination a nervous wreck.

I don't believe that lorry drivers deliberately block lanes for fun, or toot their horns aggressively. Much of their driving has to be carried out defensively, to keep themselves out of trouble. Yes, there will be the odd rogue now and again who thinks they own the road, whatever vehicle they are driving. And there will always be drivers with a wide spectrum of experience, from the new test passes to those who have been on the road for years. It's up to everyone to look out for others and make allowances by adjusting their own speed and distance to keep themselves out of trouble.

The Institute of Advanced Motorists do advanced courses for anyone wanting to improve their driving skills.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 23rd Sep 16, 2:08 PM
    • 19,751 Posts
    • 69,401 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Plus, if you really want to know what your driving is like, invest in an assessment. For a reasonable fee, an advanced driving instructor will go out with you in your car for about 1.5 hours, and then give you feedback on your driving and helpful tips on how to improve. It's also an insight into any bad habits you may have picked up that you don't realise you're doing.

I did this twice over several years, and it was very helpful.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..

X ~O
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 27th Sep 16, 9:10 PM
    • 22,692 Posts
    • 8,918 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    A pet hate = people that change lanes to allow others to join. There is usually a reason why your in the left lane to start with so moving over quite often causes issues for others.

Its upto the vehicle joining to find a safe spot to join, if they have the speed then move ahead, if not then drop back and the other lane will be clear for them to move over if they need to.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 29th Sep 16, 11:32 AM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 6,504 Thanks
    NBLondon
    A pet hate = people that change lanes to allow others to join. There is usually a reason why your in the left lane to start with so moving over quite often causes issues for others.

Its upto the vehicle joining to find a safe spot to join, if they have the speed then move ahead, if not then drop back and the other lane will be clear for them to move over if they need to.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I will move over and make it easier for someone to join if I can do so - that's courtesy. That includes checking that there is space in the next lane for me to do that without impeding someone else - if there isn't - then you're right, it's up to the joining driver to adjust speed and join.
    Of course, some joiners haven't worked that bit out and assume that they can just accelerate and swing out and a space magically appears. Either they were all taught to drive in France in the 1950s or they have got used to people getting out of their way and think they are wonderful...
    One day I'll think of something witty
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,424Posts Today

7,938Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin