Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Steve
    • By MSE Steve 8th Sep 16, 6:40 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 17Thanks
    MSE Steve
    MSE News: MSE launches free Credit Club
    • 8th Sep 16, 6:40 PM
    MSE News: MSE launches free Credit Club 8th Sep 16 at 6:40 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com has today launched its brand-new Credit Club - a totally free way to check your credit score, whether you're likely to be accepted for credit in the real world and how to boost your chances....
    Read the full story:
    'MSE launches free Credit Club'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 5
    • takman
    • By takman 17th Sep 16, 10:19 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    takman
    Is there any real need to join the Credit Club?

I have no real need to know my credit reference score. It may be good or it may be bad. Suffice to say I have never been rejected for a credit card.

It just sounds like a money making scheme for MSE.
    Originally posted by baldeagle09
    If that's true then it's a very poor scheme considering its costing them money to run and they won't be making a profit for a long time, if ever.

The real value in joining the club is when they will soon be offering full access to your experian credit report for free. This means you can access all three for free and regularly check them.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 18th Sep 16, 5:17 PM
    • 6,971 Posts
    • 4,409 Thanks
    Biggles
    I joined when it first started and, for no particular reason, just tried to log in and was told it 'hadn't verified my email'.

It said it had sent me a verification email but none has arrived, despite me requesting a re-send several times.

Is it broken, or does it take weekends off?
  • jamesd
    Could be, but report compared to the other reports is what it says. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see if it's the report or just the score.
    Originally posted by jamesd
    No sign of that showing up so the report seems to have been wrong. Just the CreditMatcher announcement about the free score.
    • MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 19th Sep 16, 5:08 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MSE Chris
    I joined when it first started and, for no particular reason, just tried to log in and was told it 'hadn't verified my email'.

It said it had sent me a verification email but none has arrived, despite me requesting a re-send several times.

Is it broken, or does it take weekends off?
    Originally posted by Biggles
    We're working on a fix for this as we've had users report not receiving the verification email for custom domains/work email address and specific email addresses (@talktalk, @GMX etc). We hope to get this fixed this week!

Apologies for the error on our part!
    • BootstrappistMonk
    • By BootstrappistMonk 21st Sep 16, 10:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BootstrappistMonk
    Email came through OK for me, but after at least a week I'm still getting

"Verification Pending

We need to do some further checks

Thank you for your application to Credit Club, we need to do some further checks to confirm your identity. This helps to ensure the security of your personal information.

These checks will usually be complete within 2 working days, so please come back to review the outcome of your application."

Is this something I can encourage along in any way, or a system issue, or anything that may be reported?

(email address for that account is the same I used to register here, if that's helpful)

Thanks
    Last edited by BootstrappistMonk; 21-09-2016 at 10:28 PM. Reason: providing additional info
    • afly
    • By afly 22nd Sep 16, 9:40 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    afly

"Verification Pending

Thank you for your application to Credit Club, we need to do some further checks to confirm your identity. This helps to ensure the security of your personal information.

These checks will usually be complete within 2 working days, so please come back to review the outcome of your application."

Is this something I can encourage along in any way, or a system issue, or anything that may be reported?

(email address for that account is the same I used to register here, if that's helpful)

Thanks
    Originally posted by BootstrappistMonk
    I received the same when I signed up. It says 2 working days but what it seem to mean is that you are SOL for using this service
    • MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 22nd Sep 16, 4:09 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MSE Chris

"Verification Pending

Thanks
    Originally posted by BootstrappistMonk
    Hey,

This one is taking us slightly longer to figure out I'm afraid. We're working with Experian who are looking into it for us but we will be emailing all users affected once it's been resolved.

Apologies in the meantime.
    • applecore
    • By applecore 26th Sep 16, 10:52 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    applecore
    Hi,

I tried to register for this just so that I could use it to help improve my Credit Score. However, no matter what I do, I continue to get the same error message.

I have closed my Credit Club account and reopened it going through the same process. I have also received the verification emails etc.

Any suggestions?
    • weeloudawg
    • By weeloudawg 27th Sep 16, 8:45 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    weeloudawg
    What a shame there holding wrong information about my address. Really I thought MSE would have checked first before listing address. But no. It seems they grab data from Royal Mail.

Another company that does not list my correct address thanks to royal mail.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 27th Sep 16, 8:51 AM
    • 15,053 Posts
    • 9,393 Thanks
    molerat
    What a shame there holding wrong information about my address. Really I thought MSE would have checked first before listing address. But no. It seems they grab data from Royal Mail.

Another company that does not list my correct address thanks to royal mail.
    Originally posted by weeloudawg
    Firstly this has very little to do with MSE, they just use the information supplied by Experian.

How have they got your address wrong ? What have you done to get it corrected ? How does it differ from that on your council tax bill ? Addresses held on the Royal Mail database are usually obtained from the local council.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • weeloudawg
    • By weeloudawg 27th Sep 16, 9:07 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    weeloudawg
    Royal mail are using made up flat numbers. The address listed on the council tax bill is completely different.

I have tried contacting RM many occasions and they simply refuse to renumber the whole flat at my request. No one else gives two !!!!s in my flat. For the address you have listed for me my post always ends up in someone elses door and not mine. Even the postmans confused. We all have door numbers PROVIDED BY THE COUNCIL when the new doors got installed. Which state the correct numbers. Not the information you guys have.

Previous suggestions was complain to the ICO, but would that even work? Like you said, you passed the buck straight to experian, who will then do the same to royal mail.......
    • Chelseafan237
    • By Chelseafan237 27th Sep 16, 9:07 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Chelseafan237
    One thing I cant understand is, why does Martin Lewis push people to change their current account, when having a current account for a long time with positive activity is helpful towards a positive credit score? Being told conflicting things here? I know he has to make a living and push products that pay him commission well but what is really best for the customer as this is a conflicting message?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 27th Sep 16, 9:39 AM
    • 15,053 Posts
    • 9,393 Thanks
    molerat
    Royal mail are using made up flat numbers. The address listed on the council tax bill is completely different.

I have tried contacting RM many occasions and they simply refuse to renumber the whole flat at my request. No one else gives two !!!!s in my flat. For the address you have listed for me my post always ends up in someone elses door and not mine. Even the postmans confused. We all have door numbers PROVIDED BY THE COUNCIL when the new doors got installed. Which state the correct numbers. Not the information you guys have.

Previous suggestions was complain to the ICO, but would that even work? Like you said, you passed the buck straight to experian, who will then do the same to royal mail.......
    Originally posted by weeloudawg
    Have you followed the correct procedure http://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/update-your-address

The PAF code of practice states that they will use the details provided by the council and you could complain through the council.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • weeloudawg
    • By weeloudawg 27th Sep 16, 9:49 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    weeloudawg
    Twice I have used that. When I just moved in and recently. It never got me anywhere. TBH I have just gave up. My Utility company and bank have seen sense anyway. Virgin Media are still being idiots about it.
    • takman
    • By takman 27th Sep 16, 9:54 AM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    takman
    One thing I cant understand is, why does Martin Lewis push people to change their current account, when having a current account for a long time with positive activity is helpful towards a positive credit score? Being told conflicting things here? I know he has to make a living and push products that pay him commission well but what is really best for the customer as this is a conflicting message?
    Originally posted by Chelseafan237
    Well if you read the credit section on this forum you will see that your "credit score" doesn't really mean much to lenders. What actually matters is your credit history and if you have a decent credit history changing your main current account won't have much of an effect. Plus getting a £150 bonus is much better than any negative effect that it may have!.
    You also don't have to switch your main account, you can open a second account and switch that to get the bonus. Then when you do this multiple times a year and also open other current accounts to get the best interest rates your getting thousands of pounds a year in bonuses and interest!.

So is staying with one current account so your guaranteed to have a good "credit score" worth the thousands of pounds your loosing out on?. That's why he tells people to switch!.
    • mertywerty
    • By mertywerty 7th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    mertywerty
    I've been having problems passing the verification process, which has been confusing since I'm already an Experian CreditExpert member and have been using the details on there to register!

Anyway doing some testing of the above I've found a bug whereby you are stuck in verification failure purgatory - and there is no way to re-enter the correct details, so you are basically stuck:

1. Registered as new user
    2. Passed verification step 1
    3. Passed verification step 2
    4. Failed verification step 3 (the last step, failed due to clicking on wrong item)
    5. On failure screen clicked on the button to Retry the verification steps
    6. It goes straight to verification step 2 - again passed OK
    7. Instead of prompting to re-enter details for verification step 3 - it seems to behind the scenes auto submit the (incorrect) details entered in step 4, it does not give you a chance to redo that step. Obviously will fail.
    8. The failure leads to the failure page in step 4, again asking you to retry.

This then becomes a verification failure loop which you cannot correct yourself out of.

I would like to ask if there is a way of deleting this half verified account from CreditClub?
    • bobbybuttons
    • By bobbybuttons 10th Oct 16, 5:12 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    bobbybuttons
    credit club not updating whenit should of done 2 days ago?
    Hi, My credit club account was due to update in the 8th but its not done so, is it a glitch? Am i best to delete account and start again? thanks
    • topgearfan08
    • By topgearfan08 10th Oct 16, 6:19 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    topgearfan08
    Mine is the same, not updated either
    • Doctor Duke
    • By Doctor Duke 11th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Doctor Duke
    Yep same here no update as yet. Due on the 9th.
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 11th Oct 16, 4:41 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    My account also hasn't been updated. Due on the 9th.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

993Posts Today

5,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PPI deadline decision's just been delayed until first quarter of 2017, it was due this year. For free help now go to https://t.co/EqDQvgRZ2K

• RT @juliegroves49: @GMB @MartinSLewis thanks got my soap & glory glam sets which was half price at boots today thanks or all the tips xmas?

• RT @ckrd: @MartinSLewis Just bagged my Soap and Glory Set £30.00 instead of £60, thanks for the reminder in your email. Another one off the?

• Follow Martin