MSE News: Apple announces iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus – here's what they'll cost

Comments

• Does anyone know what time on 9 September Apple will open pre-orders?
    Thanks
  • davethorp
    davethorp Posts: 1,576
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    AAB wrote: »
    The comparison that I've done $649 to £487 is based on today's exchange rate, so I don't think it's to do with weak pound.

US pricing excludes sales tax whereas our pricing includes VAT at 20%. Knock the VAT off our prices by dividing them by 1.2 and then convert the currency again and you'll find the prices match more closely
  • AAB
    AAB Posts: 78
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    lcfctom wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time on 9 September Apple will open pre-orders?
    Thanks

8:01am uk time
  • I was looking forward to this, currently on a 5S and fancy upgrading myself this year.

Sadly the "improvements" are disappointing to say the least. The headphone jack removal is annoying and seems to just be a money spinner for Apple. Faster Processor/Better Camera/More Memory/Better Battery - these are all good but surely the bare minimum expected? That is just natural progression, no innovation which Apple like to be known for. The water resistance is however, good imo.

Things that are rumoured for NEXT year such as OLED and Glass chassis sound a lot lot better.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Next year will be the 7S, why would they break tradition and go straight to the 8 with a completely redesigned phone?

2 years time I suspect before a "new" phone.
  • lee111s wrote: »
    Next year will be the 7S, why would they break tradition and go straight to the 8 with a completely redesigned phone?

Because next year is the 10th Anniversay of the iPhone and this years model is the third itteration of the existing design.

Noone knows but well informed Apple watchers suggest the more radical updates mentioned above will come next year.
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    lee111s wrote: »

Next year is the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. You're right that in every two years Apple has launched a full new design of phone, either changing size or general housing, the 7 is the exact same size and housing as the 6 and 6s.
    All the rumour sites (that got the details of the 7 pretty much nailed on) are talking about next year being a special launch because of the previously mentioned 10th year. They might do away with the screen or battery on it...
  • lcfctom wrote: »
    Because next year is the 10th Anniversay of the iPhone and this years model is the third itteration of the existing design.

Noone knows but well informed Apple watchers suggest the more radical updates mentioned above will come next year.

Yeah exactly, I read the rumours about the big upgrades next year here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/09/07/apple-iphone-7-full-spec-key-features-uk-price-and-release-date/

The big changes Apple is rumoured to be saving for the 2017 iPhone include its chassis being made entirely from glass and have an edge-to-edge display with an OLED screen, a significant step forward from the LCD screens the company currently uses.

• The article is wrong, it is not waterproof merely water resistant. http://uk.businessinsider.com/iphone-7-water-resistant-not-water-proof-2016-9?r=US&IR=T
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    wba31 wrote: »
    Next year is the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. You're right that in every two years Apple has launched a full new design of phone, either changing size or general housing, the 7 is the exact same size and housing as the 6 and 6s.
    All the rumour sites (that got the details of the 7 pretty much nailed on) are talking about next year being a special launch because of the previously mentioned 10th year. They might do away with the screen or battery on it...

And therein lies the issue.

The reason they got the details nailed on is because the chiese workers who are paid poorly risk stealing parts and taking photos during the build process which starts many, many months before apple even thinm about releasing the phone.

At the moment, all the "information" about a re-design is pure heresay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure