Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poodle16
    • By poodle16 7th Sep 16, 12:59 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    poodle16
    Payroll software
    • 7th Sep 16, 12:59 PM
    Payroll software 7th Sep 16 at 12:59 PM
    Hi
    Can anyone recommend a fairly low cost UK payroll software, that works out tax, NI, overtime, holidays. It doesnt need to be RTI, I just need it to stop a little job becoming a big one!
Page 1
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 7th Sep 16, 1:43 PM
    • 7,899 Posts
    • 13,679 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 7th Sep 16, 1:43 PM
    • 7th Sep 16, 1:43 PM
    Moneysoft is highly regarded by many book-keepers and accountants and is relatively cheap - approx £60.
    • Aquamania
    • By Aquamania 7th Sep 16, 9:42 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    Aquamania
    • 7th Sep 16, 9:42 PM
    • 7th Sep 16, 9:42 PM
    Hi
    Can anyone recommend a fairly low cost UK payroll software, that works out tax, NI, overtime, holidays. It doesnt need to be RTI, I just need it to stop a little job becoming a big one!
    Originally posted by poodle16
    I know you say it doesn't need to be RTI compliant, but (a) if you are paying people PAYE you'll almost certainly need some form of RTI compliant software and (b) I would have thought any RTI compliant software would do what you want anyway

Here is the list of FREE RTI compliant software available
    https://www.gov.uk/payroll-software/free-software
    • poodle16
    • By poodle16 8th Sep 16, 11:12 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    poodle16
    • 8th Sep 16, 11:12 AM
    • 8th Sep 16, 11:12 AM
    I already use a free RTI compliant on line program. I wanted something that took less time for working everything out because im extra cautious re wages etc. I prefer to have it worked out before i put it into the on line system, as it likes you to jump through hoops before youre allowed to change anything. So the software is for my benefit.
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 8th Sep 16, 2:50 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    rhysadams
    • 8th Sep 16, 2:50 PM
    • 8th Sep 16, 2:50 PM
    I use Sage Payroll, bought the basic version from Staples. Easy to use.
    • JoanneNotts
    • By JoanneNotts 8th Sep 16, 3:01 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    JoanneNotts
    • 8th Sep 16, 3:01 PM
    • 8th Sep 16, 3:01 PM
    Do HMRC still have the free basic tools software? Would that do it?
    I only comment on posts I have relevant understanding and knowledge of, I have worked as a Payroll Clerk for 19 Years first in Recruitment now in the Voluntary Sector. Had all sorts of battles over the Years with Housing Benefits, Tax Credits and got over £2000 compensation from CSA when they got it wrong for 2 Years Now CIPP qualified!
    • Aquamania
    • By Aquamania 9th Sep 16, 2:50 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    Aquamania
    • 9th Sep 16, 2:50 PM
    • 9th Sep 16, 2:50 PM
    Do HMRC still have the free basic tools software?
    Originally posted by JoanneNotts
    Yes, you'll find it in the link I gave earlier

Would that do it?
    I don't know for sure, but it probably would. I never really got on with the HMRC software, so dumped it in favour of one of the other free commercial software offerings from the outset.
    • Aquamania
    • By Aquamania 9th Sep 16, 2:54 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    Aquamania
    • 9th Sep 16, 2:54 PM
    • 9th Sep 16, 2:54 PM
    I already use a free RTI compliant on line program. I wanted something that took less time for working everything out because im extra cautious re wages etc. I prefer to have it worked out before i put it into the on line system, as it likes you to jump through hoops before youre allowed to change anything. So the software is for my benefit.
    Most (all?) of the software offered in the link is not online. You download the programme to your pc, input the data, update, correct, amend etc
    And then when you are happy with everything, send the data to HMRC. (via the programme)
    • Majestic12
    • By Majestic12 11th Sep 16, 10:04 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Majestic12
    • 11th Sep 16, 10:04 PM
    • 11th Sep 16, 10:04 PM
    Hi
    Go for Brightpay, its free for businesses with 3 or less employees.
    • JoanneNotts
    • By JoanneNotts 13th Sep 16, 3:35 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    JoanneNotts
    I don't know for sure, but it probably would. I never really got on with the HMRC software, so dumped it in favour of one of the other free commercial software offerings from the outset.
    Originally posted by Aquamania
    Yes never used it myself so didn't want to recommend it, I only use Sage these days.
    I only comment on posts I have relevant understanding and knowledge of, I have worked as a Payroll Clerk for 19 Years first in Recruitment now in the Voluntary Sector. Had all sorts of battles over the Years with Housing Benefits, Tax Credits and got over £2000 compensation from CSA when they got it wrong for 2 Years Now CIPP qualified!
    • awara
    • By awara 20th Sep 16, 4:12 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    awara
    If you are registered employer the RTI matters..other wise you will be penalised for late reporting.

PAYROO is the best option for you.
    It is free for upto 9 employees and you can also generate payslips otherwise £ per year per employee..
    Employees can also login to download payslips and more..
    http://www.payroo.com/price.html
    Yep that is cheap..

no affiliation but I am fan.
    • beansOnToast
    • By beansOnToast 21st Sep 16, 3:00 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    beansOnToast
    Do HMRC still have the free basic tools software? Would that do it?
    Yes, I use the HMRC free Basic Paye Tools for my business.

Works pretty well for me but it doesn't do holidays (in terms of tracking holidays or holiday pay) or overtime as far as I can see. You just put in the total (gross) amount you're paying each employee and it works out NI and Tax.

Make sure you set up your employees correctly in the first place and it will also handle student loan calculations etc.

But fundamentally it is just a tool for submitting RTI Paye returns.
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 22nd Sep 16, 9:33 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    rhysadams
    Sage Payroll is pretty good, however my accountant charges me just £15 per month to do payroll, submit tax, etc and it saves my time, might be worth asking!
    • poodle16
    • By poodle16 22nd Sep 16, 1:18 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    poodle16
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    • tengis19
    • By tengis19 23rd Sep 16, 7:26 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    tengis19
    Go for Brightpay, its free for businesses with 3 or less employees.
    Originally posted by Majestic12
    I too use Brightpay, so easy to use as well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

339Posts Today

3,828Users online

Martin's Twitter