Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ste_be
    • By ste_be 7th Sep 16, 12:46 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 6Thanks
    ste_be
    Smile's awful new website
    • 7th Sep 16, 12:46 PM
    Smile's awful new website 7th Sep 16 at 12:46 PM
    In the last month Smile changed me onto their new website. The new site is a category of errors, it looks like it's been put together by someone that really doesn't understand usability. The old site wasn't pretty, but it was at least fairly straightforward and simple to use. The new site is awful.

You can see that a lot of people are having this issue if you look at the TrustPilot site for Smile:
    https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/smile.co.uk

Anyone else with Smile? I'm seriously considering changing accounts as it's that bad. I sent a complaint via their secure messaging but haven't yet heard back. Anyone had any response from them?
Page 2
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 11th Sep 16, 4:29 PM
    • 17,308 Posts
    • 39,386 Thanks
    peachyprice
    That's the only bit I don't find odd. Every bank I've ever had, AFAICR, has listed DDs in alpha order; date doesn't make sense as most of them are monthly and the exact dates tend to vary anyway.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Date makes perfect sense.

If they're in alphabetical order you have to search through the list to see if they've been paid when tallying with an excel sheet, if they're in numerical order you can see they have been instantly.

It probably doesn't make a lot of difference if you're paid monthly tbh, but it's a hassle if you're paid 4 weekly as the date change makes a difference to which side of pay day DD's fall.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 12th Sep 16, 8:13 AM
    • 6,950 Posts
    • 4,398 Thanks
    Biggles
    Last time I had a Co-op account, they sent me one of their wonderful card readers but I seem to have been able to set up and make payments without one so far - don't they use them now?

If they're in alphabetical order you have to search through the list to see if they've been paid when tallying with an excel sheet
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Actually, I look through the statement if I want to see what's been paid, not just DDs but anything.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 12th Sep 16, 2:38 PM
    • 17,308 Posts
    • 39,386 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Last time I had a Co-op account, they sent me one of their wonderful card readers but I seem to have been able to set up and make payments without one so far - don't they use them now?

Actually, I look through the statement if I want to see what's been paid, not just DDs but anything.
    But how do you know if it hasn't been paid

The card readers seem a bit hit and miss, depending on the recipient.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 12th Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    • 6,950 Posts
    • 4,398 Thanks
    Biggles
    But how do you know if it hasn't been paid
    Because it would be on my spreadsheet and not on my statement ;-)

It's just that I'm unclear whether I should be receiving a card reader at all, or does their wonderful(?) new online banking do away with the need for it?
    • ste_be
    • By ste_be 12th Sep 16, 5:02 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ste_be
    Most rail companies have also "improved" their ticket booking sites over the past couple of years. Try booking tickets on Southern these days, for example, it's not a good experience - not to mention the joy of actually undertaking the journey ...
    Originally posted by ThemeOne
    At some point I remember somewhere else someone complaining about Southern's site, and they were pointed to https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/ - apparently they'll sell you the same tickets but the site should be better, not tried it myself but have a go?
    • zzzt
    • By zzzt 14th Sep 16, 2:55 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    zzzt
    It's awful. The goal seems to have been to make it look pretty or use newer technologies, but without any consideration to user experience.

I find I cannot do the simplest things. I'm always wondering "how do I get here", "how do I get back to here", "where do I do this", and it's not because it's new. I've been using it for a while now and it still confounds me. Things are not in the obvious place where you would expect them.
    • hansi
    • By hansi 23rd Sep 16, 6:30 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    hansi
    Who thought up this ridiculous website. There is no system whereby you can see secure messages you have sent, and they don't seem to send you emails like they used to to tell you there is a secure message waiting. Dreadful upgrade if that's what it is.
    • garfield33
    • By garfield33 23rd Sep 16, 10:12 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    garfield33
    I was upgraded a few weeks ago, I was doing ok with it until I wanted to pay my smile credit card from my smile current account. There used to be a button on the credit card statement page "make a payment" - that's now gone and it took me about 10 minutes to work out how to do it, and I think I'm pretty web-savvy.

Having said that, I do like some of the new functionality (e.g., easy to see future payments, once you get to the payments page for the credit card, it offers an option of "full amount" - before I used to write it down from the statement and type it in on the payment page), but the old design was a lot cleaner and simpler, the new one is very fussy.

I also had emails saying that there were messages for me to read, so I logged in, no sign of them. Sent a message to the bank asking about this. Messages then appeared, I read them, and now they keep going back to un-read!

It's a real shame, they used to be the leaders in online banking.
    Save £12k in 2016 #017. £2089.96 / £6,000 (34.8%)
    Save £12k in 2015 #041. £4668.15 / £6,000 (77.8%)
    • pfpf
    • By pfpf 26th Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    • 4,132 Posts
    • 2,854 Thanks
    pfpf
    I spoke to Coop Bank customer services earlier today - and was told the roll-out is due to be complete by the end of September.
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    well, only a few days left. 4 family members have a coop account, one was transferred months ago, other 3 still on old site.
    LONGEST ROLLOUT EVER
    pfpf, the avatar previously seen as "the Monkey".
    • hansi
    • By hansi 4th Oct 16, 8:19 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    hansi
    Smile new login
    I just had to log in and had to enter all my original information from the old site PLUS my new username, password, number etc. This site is a disaster. Supposed to be having maintenance done on it. Scrap the lot and start again,that's what I say
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 4th Oct 16, 8:32 AM
    • 6,643 Posts
    • 35,127 Thanks
    tattycath
    I was switched to the new co-op site about a month ago, absolutely hate it, it must be the worst banking site ever. Whoever thought it was a great idea to put the list of DD's in alphabetical order instead of date order needs taking out the back and shooting.
    Totally agree.
    I've been with co-op for years and they changed Internet banking about 5 months ago, what used to take 2 minutes can now take up to 40 minutes just to log in-when the page keeps bouncing back and reloading.
    I've just moved my main account -with the help of a cash incentive. I will be moving the others shortly too the co-op website is not fit for purpose.
    GE 36 *MFD December 2027-target 2020
    MFIT-T4 No 106
    EF £100/£2000 - SSF £350
    Mortgage : £5,935/£10,000
    November: £118.00/£200
    November £77.00/£250
    Savercard Christmas savings £150
    19/3/16 = 176lb
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 4th Oct 16, 8:36 AM
    • 6,643 Posts
    • 35,127 Thanks
    tattycath
    If I transfer money to a new recipient I get asked to use my card reader.
    GE 36 *MFD December 2027-target 2020
    MFIT-T4 No 106
    EF £100/£2000 - SSF £350
    Mortgage : £5,935/£10,000
    November: £118.00/£200
    November £77.00/£250
    Savercard Christmas savings £150
    19/3/16 = 176lb
    • hansi
    • By hansi 4th Oct 16, 4:28 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    hansi
    Just about to switch to tsb but can't see anything about cheque books. Do they issue them?
    • ste_be
    • By ste_be 6th Oct 16, 1:07 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ste_be
    Are they finally fixing some issues?
    From 3.00am on Saturday 15 October 2016 to 12.00pm on Sunday 16 October 2016 our banking systems will be unavailable. This scheduled maintenance includes internet banking, mobile app and telephone banking.
    That's 45 hours downtime, which is rather a long time for "scheduled" maintenance. Maybe they're doing some major fixes and actually testing them?
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 6th Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    Just about to switch to tsb but can't see anything about cheque books. Do they issue them?
    Originally posted by hansi
    I don't think they're automatically issued, but they'll issue one if you ask. That's what I did anyway - over a year ago, and I have yet to write a cheque!
    • hansi
    • By hansi 6th Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    hansi
    Switching to TSB tomorrow. That new Smile site is awful
    • hansi
    • By hansi 6th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    hansi
    I was set on TSB when I noticed the Halifax Reward Current Account. The £100 switching fee is a nice incentive as well as the £5 monthly payment. Has anyone had any experience of this account, and would they recommend Halifax?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 6th Oct 16, 9:24 PM
    • 7,781 Posts
    • 4,740 Thanks
    bigadaj
    I was set on TSB when I noticed the Halifax Reward Current Account. The £100 switching fee is a nice incentive as well as the £5 monthly payment. Has anyone had any experience of this account, and would they recommend Halifax?
    Originally posted by hansi
    Yes, switched earlier this year, all fine and their card offers can sometimes be useful, I've used Waitrose and some restaurants for 5-10% cashback.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 7th Oct 16, 2:31 PM
    • 6,950 Posts
    • 4,398 Thanks
    Biggles
    That's 45 hours downtime, which is rather a long time for "scheduled" maintenance. Maybe they're doing some major fixes and actually testing them?
    Originally posted by ste_be
    I read that as 33 hours - 12pm would normally be noon on Sunday (why on earth can't people say 12mn and 12md instead of am & pm?). Still a long time, though.
    • hansi
    • By hansi 13th Oct 16, 7:37 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    hansi
    What's happening at Smile I got fed up with their new website, so I am now halfway through a switch to Halifax. This morning, Smile sent me an email to say there was a secure message for me. So, after negotiating the website and entering six security checks, there was no message. What's going on? Glad I'm switching
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

932Posts Today

5,823Users online

Martin's Twitter