Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NewMeNewLife
    • By NewMeNewLife 7th Sep 16, 9:47 AM
    • 185Posts
    • 373Thanks
    NewMeNewLife
    I'm ashamed to say...
    • 7th Sep 16, 9:47 AM
    I'm ashamed to say... 7th Sep 16 at 9:47 AM
    UPDATE: Hi everyone my original post was a bit of a ramble, and quite frankly depressing So I thought I'd redo it with just the facts.

I'm 27, single. I have a small mortgage, and beside that a whopping £16,390.90 debt.

Hope I don't bore everyone with my diary!!
    Last edited by NewMeNewLife; 06-04-2017 at 7:25 PM.
Page 2
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 12th Apr 17, 3:58 PM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 7,189 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    You seem to be doing really well. Well done on remortgaging to a lower rate.
    Countdown to early retirement on 31.12.17 4.5 months to go.
    • NewMeNewLife
    • By NewMeNewLife 12th Apr 17, 9:13 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NewMeNewLife
    Thank you EnthusiasticSaver! I'm keeping on track, but it never feels quick enough! I'm so impatient... waiting every month for my next pay check is torture!

Thank you for dropping by and saying hi I noticed your signature. Debt and mortgage free! What an achievement! It must feel amazing?!
    Debt Free Date= Dec 2017.
    Mortgage Free Date = Jan 2039.
    • NewMeNewLife
    • By NewMeNewLife 13th Apr 17, 11:58 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NewMeNewLife
    Today I've realised I'm not going to hit my April target of £1,000 I'm currently at £800, but realised it's mums birthday soon, and I haven't budgeted for it. Therefore, I'm going to use the money I have left over on mother bear instead. I have no idea what present to buy her, she's incredibly difficult to buy for! But I'm going to budget £100 for the present and the birthday meal. Fingers crossed I manage to stick to it!

Things to do today and tomorrow
    - Hoover and mop house.
    - Email Uni.
    - Ring car insurance.
    - Ring LV / sort house insurance & life insurance.
    - Download MSE overpayments spreadsheet.
    - Email myself council tax reduction document.
    - Post bursary documents.
    - Pop to garage.
    - Dye hair.
    - Sort eyebrows.
    - Catch up on Walking Dead.
    Last edited by NewMeNewLife; 13-04-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 13th Apr 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 7,189 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Thank you EnthusiasticSaver! I'm keeping on track, but it never feels quick enough! I'm so impatient... waiting every month for my next pay check is torture!

Thank you for dropping by and saying hi I noticed your signature. Debt and mortgage free! What an achievement! It must feel amazing?!
    Originally posted by NewMeNewLife
    Yes it is great not having to pay anything to banks although to be fair we never had loads of debt and kept our mortgage at the original 25 year term from the first time we bought a house and so it was cleared in our mid 40s. We spent the last 10 to 12 years saving for early retirement and helping our daughters through uni and on to housing ladder. I was a mortgage arrears counsellor for 8 years so saw the misery spiralling debt can cause and so had an aversion to credit card debt and unsecured loans. We also saved for holidays, cars and home improvements which saved us a fortune.

You will get there and the secret is once you are debt free you will have the spare money to save or spend or whatever but ideally you should be in the mindset of still not wasting money even though you have no debt.
    Countdown to early retirement on 31.12.17 4.5 months to go.
    • lincs1205
    • By lincs1205 13th Apr 17, 3:53 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    lincs1205
    Hi NewmeNewlife,

Just thought I'd pop along to your diary and say hi to you, just wanted to say you're doing great and good luck with the studies I'm going back into clinical nursing after 3.5 years non clinical and I can't wait. You really are doing amazing.
    MBNA 0% ends 08/09/17 £2665.95 - Mine
    Virgin 0% ends 09/06/19 £ 4979.36 - Mine
    MBNA 0% ends 12/03/18 £9302.38 - His
    Virgin 0% ends 17/7/19 £ 7229.26 - His
    Argos 29% £3132.16 - His
    So final figure including the store card is £27,309.31
    • NewMeNewLife
    • By NewMeNewLife 16th Apr 17, 9:07 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NewMeNewLife
    Hi NewmeNewlife,

Just thought I'd pop along to your diary and say hi to you, just wanted to say you're doing great and good luck with the studies I'm going back into clinical nursing after 3.5 years non clinical and I can't wait. You really are doing amazing.
    Originally posted by lincs1205
    Thank you Lincs! Are you excited to be going back to clinical nursing? I'm enjoying studying, I'm at the stage where everything is so exciting!

Quick update: I'm half way through four days of 12.5 hour shifts. I could sleep on a pin! These overtime shifts are going to be worth it though... On my break, I figured out I need to pay off £750 per month if I'm going to be debt free by December 2017.... Some months I'll struggle to do this, so I'll have to make up for it with overtime shifts when I'm on a break from uni. Sitting down and looking at the figures has made me all motivated again

Anyway, bed is calling me. I have the alarm set for 5am

Good night everyone!
    • NewMeNewLife
    • By NewMeNewLife 20th Apr 17, 2:36 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NewMeNewLife
    Hi everyone

I went to a car boot this morning, and didn't spend a penny! Mother bear bought me an Abercrombie and Fitch shirt for £5 though

Yesterday, I was introduced to Top Cashback... How have I never heard of this before?! I spent a couple of hours this morning renewing my building and contents insurance with it. By going through Top Cashback, I'm due to receive £68 odd cash back .... However, if I had done it straight through Confused.com, I would have made that saving anyway... I worked it out and I only saved about £3 doing it through Top Cashback.... but oh well, I'll be putting the cashback into my debts anyway, so it all works out, I guess... The insurance came to £165.40.... I have three years no claims, but isn't that still quite expensive? A family member managed to get theirs for £90 odd....

Today I also need to renew my internet and life insurance... wish me luck using Top Cashback!

I was also very MSE with mother bear's birthday! We're terrible for spending more than we budget on birthdays, so this year I gave myself a strict budget of £100 for her presents and her meal. We went to a Harvester after 2pm, so we received 30% off the meal, and I gave mam £60 to spend as she likes on clothes, or at car boots (she loves a good bargain). This has worked out well, as she is getting what she likes, instead of me guessing what she wants. I also bought her a nice stone candle that says something about making the most of every moment. So the £100 budget worked!!

Feeling very MSE today!!

P.s. I've also joined Martin's Energy Savers Club. I'm hoping to switch on Sunday when he does one of those big switch things (Can't remember the name).
    Last edited by NewMeNewLife; 20-04-2017 at 2:42 PM.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 20th Apr 17, 5:32 PM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,321 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Well done on your bargain birthday!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • NewMeNewLife
    • By NewMeNewLife 20th Apr 17, 5:49 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NewMeNewLife
    Thank you Bobarella!!
    • NewMeNewLife
    • By NewMeNewLife 1st May 17, 8:26 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NewMeNewLife
    Being Realistic
    Hi everyone,

So this post is about being more realistic with my money goals. Over the last week, I've realised I'm putting unrealistic, and pressurising expectations on myself. I wanted to be debt free by Dec 2017. This would mean saving £750 per month. I'm a full time student and work 23 hours a week... I've come to realise this goal is unrealistic. I was about to change jobs so that I could work every Friday and Saturday night, and attend university during the week. This change in sleep pattern every few days would most certainly end up in burn out. I love my current job, and there's half of the stress that would be in the new role.

Also, I had other plans. Once I became debt free, I wanted to be mortgage free in five years. Then save to renovate the house within two years. In order to do all this, I would have to work so much overtime and practically have no life for almost 10 years. Something I was willing to do until recently.

Life is incredibly short, and I see that every time I'm in work (psychiatric hospital). I'm very close to my mother, and we've always talked about going on holiday to New York for Christmas one year, but we've never done it. She likes to spend money, so I don't see her ever saving enough to go on holiday. So I've been toying with the idea of paying for both of us to go to New York, and have it as a surprise for my mother (Obviously after I've paid off all my debt). Life is so short, and I'd hate to one day realise my mother isn't fit enough to go on holiday, and we never end up going to New York and following our dreams.

What are all your thoughts on this?

Thank you xx
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 1st May 17, 8:33 PM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,321 Thanks
    Bobarella
    It's your life, if you have cleared your debts except the mortgage and can save for it, then why not? Life is for living. The mortgage will still be there.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • NewMeNewLife
    • By NewMeNewLife 1st May 17, 9:37 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NewMeNewLife
    Thank you Bobarella!
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 7th May 17, 5:19 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,675 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Hi New You
    I only found your diary when looking for Motivated.
    New york for Christmas caught my eye.
    That is exactly where we were last Year - for actual Christmas. We then flew to Toronto for New Year.
    New York is the most expensive place I have ever been!!!!!
    However, as my plans to take a holiday with my Mum never happened. She died of cancer two years ago. I would say - Do it! You never know what is around the corner.
    • NewMeNewLife
    • By NewMeNewLife 9th May 17, 10:08 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NewMeNewLife
    Hi New You
    I only found your diary when looking for Motivated.
    New york for Christmas caught my eye.
    That is exactly where we were last Year - for actual Christmas. We then flew to Toronto for New Year.
    New York is the most expensive place I have ever been!!!!!
    However, as my plans to take a holiday with my Mum never happened. She died of cancer two years ago. I would say - Do it! You never know what is around the corner.
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    Thank you for your comment Tipsntreats

I'm sorry to hear about your mum

I bet spending Christmas in NewYork was amazing!! I cringe to think how expensive it is I'm so excited to go now. I'm going to do overtime (and lots of it) and book it in November. I'll give her the tickets/confirmation at Christmas as a surprise I was hoping (fingers crossed) that we could go next Easter. I would love to do Christmas, but my studies mean I only have limited time off at Christmas for the next three years. At least with Easter there won't be any issue with time. It makes me happy thinking of our trip

Here's to making memories!!
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 9th May 17, 11:10 AM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,675 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Hi again New You
    Glad you found my post.
    Easter is a really good time to go. I have also been to the USA at Easter time.
    It was NOT expensive to go and stay in New York. Just ask me PM if you want the deal we got.
    It was spending money, the exchange rate is not brilliant. However, there are plenty of free things to do in NYC. There is also a New York thread here at MSE, take a look.
    I am right here supporting you, just as I do Motivated.
    Keep us posted on your progress - we all get there in the end.
    Tips x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,603Posts Today

8,715Users online

Martin's Twitter