Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 5th Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    • 908Posts
    • 3,105Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thistle's Mission
    • 5th Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    Thistle's Mission 5th Sep 16 at 3:41 PM
    My life has been in a huge mess for years - finances, house, health, priorities... I seem to have no self discipline and it is time to change. I am starting this diary to keep myself accountable and hopefully gain some tips and support along the way. I'd like to look back in 12 months and be happy with how far I've come.

We are in the process of applying for DROs after years of only being able to pay the minimum on our debts. In the last 18 months, we closed a dying business and moved to a new town where Mr Thistle has only found part-time work. I am not completely unable to work, though I do have health issues and some bad days where I can't do a lot. At the moment I do music when I can and sell our excess stuff on ebay, though once I'm feeling stronger I am planning on looking for part time work.

We moved into the cheapest house we could find, it's extremely small and has no storage. We have too much stuff and there are piles of boxes, etc. everywhere. Once I get control of the clutter, it will be a lovely. We are hoping to be here for at least five years. I would like to save up for a second hand pine Welsh dresser to put in the dining room, I have dreamed of having one for decades and the extra storage would come in very handy.

My weight has started to affect my health and I am tired of always being tired and in pain. At the moment I want to lose 7 stone and get back into good shape. We all need to eat more healthily and I need to start cooking properly again.

Once the DRO is in place, it will take a long time before our credit score is in any kind of shape to buy our own house. We have very little discretionary money at the moment but if I can put aside the odd pound here and there, in 6 years or so we might have enough for a deposit to buy a tiny house of our own.

I need to get organised generally, I have a hard time finding things because there is no system in place. It all gets lost in the mess. I have no routine for anything, and I think this is a big part of the problem.

So, my current goals are:
    • Declutter the entire house
    • Lose 7 stone
    • Save for a Welsh Dresser and then:
    • Save for a house deposit
    • Get Organised
    • Stick to a routine

I know trying to change everything at once can be a recipe for disaster, so I am going to take things slow and work a little on each area every day, though I could do with some advice on where to start...

In the past I have turned a blind eye to the entire mess and focused on just getting through the day, it was too overwhelming to look at the big picture. After reading other diaries I have realised that I am not powerless and it's down to me to get my life back under control. Sorting out the finances was a big first step, now I just need to get going with the rest.
    Last edited by Thistle-down; 05-09-2016 at 3:48 PM.
Page 9
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 8th Oct 16, 4:31 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thanks Smolly!

It was a brilliant night, though the crowd was much smaller than expected, and I only sold one CD. The main act only sold a few more, so I didn't feel bad too about it.

I probably only broke even after factoring in petrol etc, but the experience was invaluable. I didn't make many mistakes but when I did, it was because I wasn't completely focused on the song. When you're on stage looking out at an audience, trying to make eye contact etc, it's so easy for a thought to creep in like "wow, that lady has pretty hair" and then play the wrong chord or blank on the next word.

The best bit about the evening was meeting the main act - they both talked to me for quite a long time before and after the show, and they gave me fantastic advice. They are doing the same sort of thing as me but are much further along in their career, so hearing about their experiences and what has worked (or not worked) for them was brilliant.

I didn't get home until after 2:00 am, and today I am very achy and tired. I haven't accomplished anything, but I am grateful for:
    1. the advice I received last night
    2. the new car being so lovely to drive long distances
    3. my son being home again, if only for the weekend!
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 8th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Smolly
    Hi Thistle

So pleased you had a good evening, and sounds like you came away with a lot more than you were planning! Well done on the CD sale too - every bit helps!

No wonder you're tired if you got back at that time. Anyway, I hope you've had a restful day and got to spend some lovely time with your son.

Take care xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 8th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 11,525 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    So nice you had a great night and well done on the CD sale

Hope DS enjoys being home for the weekend and he is settling in to Uni ok?
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £8850.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

15 NSD - 8/15, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 £2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 9th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thanks Smolly and Pmo2!

One CD sale isn't anything to write home about, I was hoping for 10 at least! But with the small audience, I was truly grateful to have any at all. The whole experience was brilliant, though not in ways I was expecting. They things the couple taught me about PR and presenting myself in a certain light really opened my eyes and will be very helpful in getting more gigs in the future.

My son is glad to be home, he's been sleeping a lot and says he doesn't want to go back. He doesn't mean it though, he's just enjoying not having to do everything for himself.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 9th Oct 16, 11:20 AM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,045 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    I'm glad you got some advice, that will hopefully make up for the lack of sales this time.

Aw he is just loving the home comforts!

Dxxx
    Debt Free by Xmas 2017 6,186.67/14,523.76
    Saving for Xmas 2017 0/365
    Goal Weight by August 2017 27lbs/84lbs
    Mortgage Savings 2020 0/25,000
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 9th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Well done on selling the CD - it might not seem much, but it all helps!!!
    October grocery challenge £115.50/£250 | Emergency £1,000 challenge - £399.44/£1,000 | NSD 5/15
    Credit Card: £209 (0% APR) | Car Finance: £10,674 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £113,243 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £1,457.04
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 10th Oct 16, 9:36 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thanks everyone, I am so grateful for your support!

I spent all yesterday afternoon at one of my favourite sessions. It's very small, 7-10 people at most but they are all great friends and very talented folks.

Today I need to write some letters, get over to the post office, quick trip to Aldi, and get stuck into some general housework and laundry. Not terribly exciting but very needed, the place is looking like a tip. My closet is still lovely and organised but people have been dumping !!!! on the table again, I'd like to get it cleared before it turns into a huge mess.

I started my period again yesterday, which was a huge disappointment. It's been 11 months since the last one and I thought they were gone for good. However, in the last week all the heart fluttering/racing has completely stopped, no hot flushes, I've been sleeping much better and have more energy. I'm sure that my health problems are due to menopause. I don't want HRT and just would like the whole thing to be over with as soon as possible!

I have a Dr appt early this evening to check out a lump under my arm. I'm not overly worried, but I'm trying to be proactive about my health and not let little things slide to the point where they are big problems!

I thought I'd just pop on my lists from yesterday as I didn't have much time on the computer after I got home.

I accomplished:
    1. Took wardrobe over to SIL's house
    2. Cleaned up an extremely messy kitchen
    3. Got a "shabby chic" cream hanging rail for my DD's bedroom for free just by asking

I am grateful for:
    1. Being a part of such a fantastic session
    2. The car again!!! The seats fold down so the back is completely clear and we were able to get a huge wardrobe in it
    3. Sleeping in till 10am, something I haven't done in months
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 10th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Smolly
    Hi Thistle

So pleased you are keeping up with your accomplishment and gratitude lists - I may have to do something similar! Brilliant news on the hanging rail! You don't get if you don't ask!

Now just think about that car and how well a Welsh Dresser will fit in it when the times comes....

I too need to get a bit of housework done today if I can. Once more I can no longer see the kitchen table, mainly due in part to the humungous ironing pile which the fairies are just not touching for some reason.

Hope you have a lovely day anyway. Take care and boo to the period!! xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 10th Oct 16, 10:19 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thank you Smolly, I hope you're doing ok!

This afternoon was spent doing little things. My new motto is like Nike - "just do it"! There are so many things I put off doing, I'll look at one staring me in the face and say to myself, I'll do that later. Today I just did it there and then, as soon as I thought of it.

Today I accomplished:
    1. Finding the right size bolts and putting together the clothes rail
    2. Writing and delivering letters / emails that I have been putting off for weeks
    3. renewing my library books to avoid fines

Today I am grateful for:
    1. Central heating (yes I turned it on!)
    2. Watching my son grow more independent and confident each day
    3. Living so close to a brilliant Dr's surgery
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 11th Oct 16, 8:26 AM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,045 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Good for you Thistle.

I am terrible for just leaving things for another day, might take up what you are doing.

I haven't turned our heating on yet! Can feel it getting much colder though so soon probably.

Dxxx
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 11th Oct 16, 9:07 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Today will be spent driving kids around - my DD has a Dr appt this morning, taking my son back to the train station later and then DD goes to cadets tonight. DH may do the cadet run though as there is a session I usually go to on the 2nd Tuesday of the month.

DH has the day off so we're both going to the train station. He wants to have a little look around the town as it's somewhere we've not really been to aside from driving through. I am always happy to have a day out but I know it will end up involving spending money we can't afford to spend.
    • Radiantsoul
    • By Radiantsoul 11th Oct 16, 10:09 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    Radiantsoul
    Good luck Thistle!
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 11th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 11,525 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Busy busy day I see.

hope the Dtr's appointment goes ok and the trip to the train station. Enjoy your look around the town.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £8850.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

15 NSD - 8/15, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 £2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 11th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,045 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Enjoy your day.

Dxxx
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 11th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 35,041 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hope the Docs appointment went OK and you were reassured.

Heating's not on with us yet either but I can sense a thicker fleece being required to be worn in the evenings from now on, the throw is coming back on to the sofa, and we changed the duvet for the mid-weight one at the weekend!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 11th Oct 16, 4:27 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thank you all!

My Dr appt yesterday went fine, she said there is nothing to worry about. My DD on the other hand needs more extensive tests. She had some problems with her hearing when she was very young and had a few bad ear infections. She's been fine for years but the past few months she has started having trouble again.

We had breakfast out which was lovely, and managed to find a place that wasn't too expensive. We walked around the town (not much to see) but did find a charity shop where everything was £1. It may have been an Age UK shop, it was definitely a chain type store. There were many things I know I could have sold for a profit, but unfortunately I didn't have the money to buy anything today. The next time I need to pick up my son from the train station, I'll leave an hour or so early and stop by that shop.

Today I have accomplished:
    1. Getting a boxful of free clothes hangers for my DD's rail from the shop across the street
    2. Got up early and did a load of laundry
    3. A little grocery shop to stock up on basics

Today I am grateful for:
    1. Finding a fantastic charity shop
    2. Having coffee with DH in the cutest old tudor building
    3. My health being better than expected
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 11th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,045 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Sounds like a fab day.

Dxxx
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 12th Oct 16, 9:04 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thanks Dolly!

Today should be fairly quiet, I don't need to go out so can spend a good chunk of time on housework. I'm going to tackle a huge pile of laundry my DD brought down when she tidied her room, and do some sorting in the dining room. I don't really want to do anything, I'm feeling tired and a bit achey and bone-idle. I'd much rather laze the day away reading or watching movies with the dog on my lap. I must remember that's partly why I am in this mess in the first place!

It feels like a good planning day, so maybe I will come up with things that need to be done this year and next. I like Smolly's task-in-a-jar so might make one of my own, it seems a good way to get things done that are too easily put off, like doing laundry and sorting out the dining room.
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 12th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Hi Thistle! I have just sat for the past couple of hours reading all your posts and I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck with getting out of debt and getting your dresser!!! I had to give up work last year due to health problems and have had to reorganise our lives so we can cope with the loss of my wage. I'm very fortunate to have a caring and fantastic other half!

I look forward to your next post!
    Jess x
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 12th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Awww, thanks Jess! You are very kind xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,214Posts Today

5,643Users online

Martin's Twitter