Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 5th Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    • 735Posts
    • 2,675Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thistle's Mission
    • 5th Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    Thistle's Mission 5th Sep 16 at 3:41 PM
    My life has been in a huge mess for years - finances, house, health, priorities... I seem to have no self discipline and it is time to change. I am starting this diary to keep myself accountable and hopefully gain some tips and support along the way. I'd like to look back in 12 months and be happy with how far I've come.

We are in the process of applying for DROs after years of only being able to pay the minimum on our debts. In the last 18 months, we closed a dying business and moved to a new town where Mr Thistle has only found part-time work. I am not completely unable to work, though I do have health issues and some bad days where I can't do a lot. At the moment I do music when I can and sell our excess stuff on ebay, though once I'm feeling stronger I am planning on looking for part time work.

We moved into the cheapest house we could find, it's extremely small and has no storage. We have too much stuff and there are piles of boxes, etc. everywhere. Once I get control of the clutter, it will be a lovely. We are hoping to be here for at least five years. I would like to save up for a second hand pine Welsh dresser to put in the dining room, I have dreamed of having one for decades and the extra storage would come in very handy.

My weight has started to affect my health and I am tired of always being tired and in pain. At the moment I want to lose 7 stone and get back into good shape. We all need to eat more healthily and I need to start cooking properly again.

Once the DRO is in place, it will take a long time before our credit score is in any kind of shape to buy our own house. We have very little discretionary money at the moment but if I can put aside the odd pound here and there, in 6 years or so we might have enough for a deposit to buy a tiny house of our own.

I need to get organised generally, I have a hard time finding things because there is no system in place. It all gets lost in the mess. I have no routine for anything, and I think this is a big part of the problem.

So, my current goals are:
    • Declutter the entire house
    • Lose 7 stone
    • Save for a Welsh Dresser and then:
    • Save for a house deposit
    • Get Organised
    • Stick to a routine

I know trying to change everything at once can be a recipe for disaster, so I am going to take things slow and work a little on each area every day, though I could do with some advice on where to start...

In the past I have turned a blind eye to the entire mess and focused on just getting through the day, it was too overwhelming to look at the big picture. After reading other diaries I have realised that I am not powerless and it's down to me to get my life back under control. Sorting out the finances was a big first step, now I just need to get going with the rest.
    Last edited by Thistle-down; 05-09-2016 at 3:48 PM.
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
Page 5
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 21st Sep 16, 3:09 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thank you Smolly! Unfortunately that was the small pile, you can't see the one about 100 times the size hidden behind the door. Still, I've made a start on the room and have strictly instructed Mr Thistle to keep his !!!! off the table and put his shoes on the shoe rack. I'm sure that I can finish the dining room well before Xmas. If I can raise the money and have the welsh dresser in place as well, that would be the best xmas present I could give myself!

I've filled out and posted paperwork and took Thistlepup on a little walk. Just sitting down now with a cuppa and feeling cheery because I managed to do something worthwhile.

I'm not going to get anything listed today, after my rest I'll make dinner and then it's off to band practice for the evening. According to my diary I only have Slimming World in the morning and my daughter's cadets in the evening, so I should have a spare minute or two to list some things. I also need to send off a song with a deadline of the 23rd, and pack a suitcase as I'm going to a guitar weekend on Friday morning and not coming home until Sunday evening. It's all paid for including food, so I am going to relax and enjoy myself as much as I can!

Hmm, maybe not much ebaying will be done tomorrow because I also want to cut and re-dye my hair...
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 22nd Sep 16, 8:44 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Off to SW in a minute, think I've done ok according to the bathroom scales, which may be vastly different from the ones at the meeting

I'm not going to put ebay on my things to do today list - I have some more paperwork to sort, make some Dr appts, walk Thistlepup, cut and dye my hair and pack for the weekend. If I have time and feel inspired then I might do some listing, but at the moment I have enough to get done.

I didn't sleep well at all last night, if I get enough done I will try to have a little nap as I take my DD to cadets tonight in a town 1/2 hr away and don't want to fall asleep driving home.
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 22nd Sep 16, 11:24 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I lost 4 1/2 lbs according to the SW scales, but I don't think it's an accurate reflection as last week I went at night right after dinner and this time I went in the morning before I'd had breakfast. There was a lot of waiting around - 45 mins while everyone got weighed and then the lady went around the circle berating the people who hadn't lost anything or gained and overly praising those who did lose something, unless it was under 1lb and then she wanted to know why it wasn't more.

The people there seem quite nice and I am going to give it a good go until after Xmas but I don't honestly know if it's for me. The diet is fine, but there is so much time wasting in the group. Unfortunately there are no other groups in our town, so I don't know if another leader would be different. Maybe being held accountable is worth it alone - time will tell. I certainly don't want to be berated by the leader, she reminds me very much of Marjorie from Fat Fighters on Little Britain. There were plenty of people there who had lost over 4 stone so the group obviously works.

Just having a late breakfast and coffee before I start on my hair...
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 22nd Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I just managed to get two big shopping bags full of reduced fruit and veg from Te!!o, less than £5. Lots of things we normally can't afford to buy. I'm going to have to freeze some of it like the strawberries and raspberries, they probably won't last until Monday but most of it will, and the frozen berries will be great in smoothies.

I rarely get there at the right time and this time. None of the regular reduced section bullies were there, I had the place to myself so was able to have a good look.
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 23rd Sep 16, 8:53 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I'm off on my guitar weekend - two whole days of not having to be responsible for anyone else!
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 26th Sep 16, 9:57 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I arrived back last night, and after a wonderful weekend, I'm very tired and sore. It was only a 2 1/2 hr train ride, shocking that it has had such an effect. I have a Dr appt on the 30th, I am worried about how swollen my ankles and face area at the end of the day. It's only been happening for a couple of weeks and it makes me wonder about the heart thing. I look and feel about 10 years older than I did last month...

I was able to sell some CDs over the weekend so came home with nearly as much money as I left with. I'm going to put it in the bank when I post something that sold on ebay last night.

I have no great plans for today, I'm not feeling up to doing much. Aside from the post office, I'm only planning on doing a bit of laundry and walking Thistlepup. Think I'll be running on coffee to even get that done...
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 26th Sep 16, 1:11 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Just had an extremely disappointing phone call.

We were given a car early this year by my FIL as they were upgrading. It's a 10 yr old car that has been taken care of, they have had it since new and always had all the recommended work done. It's a lovely car to drive and we have been thrilled with it.

It was due for its MOT which we all expected it to sail through. I just had a phone call from the mechanic and it needs a minimum of £600 to pass the MOT, but also will need a few more things fixing in the near future. It's one of those what do you do situations... Is it worth spending what will be close to £1,000 on a 10 yr old car? We've done it before with other cars thinking 'it will be good now for a long time' but bits keep needed doing and they became very expensive pieces of junk that were given away or sold to the scrap people. I'm sure my DH will want another quote but the mechanic is a trusted one, I do not think for a moment he is trying it on.

We had set aside £200 'just in case' it needed some minor work but do not have £600 plus to get it repaired. I am totally gutted and have no idea what to do for the best.
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 26th Sep 16, 2:18 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    Smolly
    Hi Thistle, so pleased you had a brilliant weekend and great news on selling the CDs - are they your own CDs (ie your own music)? Hope you're feeling better soon though - I'm sure the Dr will sort you out on 30th and put your mind at rest. Just take it easy in the meantime...

Rubbish news about the car though - I totally sympathise. It sounds just like my situation. My car is 13 years old and I have spent hundreds on it over the years just getting it through services and MOTs. I was lucky this year although there's now an ominous noise coming from the exhaust. In the past I've had to put costs like this on the credit card which I can't do anymore. A relative did help me out the last time I had a huge bill however (£600 too!). Do you need your car daily? Is it possible to keep it off the road for a little while while you save some money towards it? You seem to do really well with making bits of money and all those bits add up - look at your CD sales over the weekend and your eBay sales.

In my case I have accepted that the next time my car needs some major work I'm just not going to be able to afford it any longer. At first I thought this would be the end of my life as I know it! But it'll just mean I have to get creative. I have an old bike and there's always the train and buses. Obviously everyone's circumstances are different and you both may well need your car for work etc. Perhaps you have a relative who can help? Whatever happens I'm sure you'll be able to sort it but in my opinion it is always worth getting a second opinion.

Take care and hope you are ok xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83
    EF #205 £66/£1000
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 26th Sep 16, 3:26 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thanks Smolly! At the moment my heart is so heavy I don't know where to turn - it seems as soon as things start looking up, something happens to put us behind again. The extra money I earn from ebay, gigs, cd sales (yes they are my own CDs ) busking etc all goes towards basic living expenses. We have already cut these down to the bone. I fear my dresser fund is going to pay for more electricity within the next hour and I am cursing myself for donating clothes last week that could have been sold.

We use the car 4-5 times a week, without it my husband will have much less work and I will not be able to play any gigs, both which contribute greatly to our weekly income. We live in a small rural town and the public transport basically stops running at 6:00pm, so while we could get where we need to be, we couldn't get home again. We moved here as a fresh start and are now too far for family to help out with driving. We do not have any friends we could ask to ferry us places.

The places we need to be are too far to cycle safely in the dark, or safely at all in the winter. I sold my bike trailer but would not have been able to carry my PA system and guitar on it anyway, nor cycle the 25 miles and back again to get to my regular pub gigs. With my health problems, I am often not well enough to get on the bike at all.

What might happen is that we sell our car for parts on ebay and use that money plus the £200 and money from anything else we can find to sell to buy a junk car with 12 months MOT, the kind that will likely not pass again without work next year, meaning you buy another junker with 12 months MOT rather than fix the one you have. It's a cycle we thought we were out of once we had been given our FIL's car and were truly not expecting to be back in.

We can live without a car, we have done it many many times before, when the kids were younger and we were in a larger town. The lack of extra income would hit us very hard though, so we are trying to find a solution that keeps us safely on the road. I don't know if it can be done this time.
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 26th Sep 16, 8:30 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    Smolly
    I'm sure you will find a way Thistle. I can see that you definitely need your car. It isn't an ideal situation is it having to buy cheap cars that only last a short time - we've had to do that ourselves. I've gone from driving a large astra one year to a tiny old micra the next but you do what has to be done.

I'm absolutely sure something will turn up. Please stay positive. I know it's hard - I've had a rotten few days but I came out of it and I'm sure you will too. The important thing at the moment though sounds like your health and getting to that doctor's appointment.

xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83
    EF #205 £66/£1000
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 26th Sep 16, 10:14 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thank you again, Smolly. I really appreciate your support.

Now that I've had some time for it to sink in, I can see that even if we can't manage another car, it's certainly not the end of the world. Life may be a bit more difficult, but we have always found a way to manage and we will again. There are plenty of things to be very grateful for and I must concentrate on them rather than a temporary lack of transportation.
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 26th Sep 16, 10:34 PM
    • 3,560 Posts
    • 10,553 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hiya Hun,

Pooh about the car.

Glad you had a nice break xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £9250.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

15-20 NSD - 5/20, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 £2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 27th Sep 16, 9:20 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thank you Pmo2, it was lovely to get away and meet up with old friends.

Today there is nothing special planned, I'm going to concentrate on laundry and general tidying up. I've already decluttered the table again - it seems DH cannot be trusted to keep his !!!! off of it. It was only a few small bits but that is how it starts and soon grows into an uncontrollable pile.

I am going to give up going to SW already. Mr Thistle's hours have been reduced at work and the £20 a month really would be better spent on things like food and electric. It's my decision but if I keep going to the meetings when we are struggling with everyday expenses, I will feel guilty. I have the information now so can try to do it on my own, there's no accountability involved but things have to change so I may as well give it a try.

We haven't made any decisions about another car, although without enough money to buy another one, the decision will be made for us. My daughter is going on her DoE trip this weekend and needs to be dropped off about 20 miles away Saturday morning and picked up again on Sunday, we haven't figured out yet how that will happen. The other people going on the trip live in the town we moved away from, so them giving her a lift isn't an option. We're trying to get hold of my SIL to see if she might be able to do it, but she lives another 20 miles in the opposite direction and has her own family problems at the moment.

I'm just sitting here drinking coffee for a little bit, I have quite a bad headache and coffee usually clears them up. It's nice to catch up on other people's diaries, they always inspire me to get productive!
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 27th Sep 16, 4:33 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 5,797 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Aw Thistle sorry to hear about the car.

Rubbish rubbish rubbish!

I hated SW meetings, I went to one class & if you lost weight they rang a bell at the scales. Almost ran out the door!

Dxxx
    ***Diet 27lbs/84lbs***
    ***Debt £6,186.67/£14,523.76***
    ***Home Savings £0.00/£25,000.00***
    ***NSD October 2016 0/15***
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 27th Sep 16, 5:58 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thanks Dolly!

I wasn't keen on the SW meetings to begin with, but was hoping they would grow on me. Oh well, I'll join the SW group on here.

I just got a PM saying I had won a copy of the Breaking Law book in the giveaway, so that some pretty nice news!
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 27th Sep 16, 6:01 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 5,797 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Excellent!

Dxxx
    ***Diet 27lbs/84lbs***
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 28th Sep 16, 9:29 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Yes the book win really cheered me up!

I woke up in a huge amount of pain today. I don't know if it's the weather (pressure changes really affect me) or because it's getting colder, but it feels like I have knives stuck in between my shoulder blades and every muscle in my body aches quite badly. I have taken some pain killers and am drinking a coffee - hopefully the combination will take the edge off the pain. I can't really complain though because it has been a very long time since I've felt this way and there was a time when I felt like this every day, all day.

I am doubtful that I will get anything done today - I am going to try to tackle the mountain of laundry my son left behind but not sure I can even do that will the bending etc. involved...
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 28th Sep 16, 10:38 AM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 5,797 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Maybe you should just take a rest day today.

You don't want to end up feeling worse.

Take a hot bath & relax I say.

Dxxx
    ***Diet 27lbs/84lbs***
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 28th Sep 16, 1:54 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thanks, Dolly!

I can't have a bath - we only have a shower!

I managed to do a couple of loads of laundry and there is a big basket full waiting for Mr Thistle to come home and bring it downstairs for me. I also did a little vacuuming, I think moving around has helped me a bit.

I sent a text to cancel my SW membership, the lady didn't seemed too fussed which was a relief. I had visions of her coming to our door and berating me for being a quitter!

Dinner is sorted, so all I need to do now is go across the street for a light bulb and some washing powder. The washing powder from Lidl is the only one I've found that gets out stains and I hate using anything else, so will only buy a small box of whatever is cheapest to last until we can get to the store.

I'm giving band practice a miss tonight.
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 28th Sep 16, 6:01 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Just read to catch up!!

Hope you feel better soon. Giving up SW is a good idea if it's £20 a month - especially if you have the books etc now. If your stuck on Syns there's always lots of help on the Internet!
    October grocery challenge £0/£250 | Emergency £1,000 challenge - £399.44/£1,000 | NSD 0/15
    Debts
    Credit Card: £258 (0% APR) | Car Finance: £10,674 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £113,370 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £1,457.04
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,064Posts Today

6,286Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin