Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 5th Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    • 908Posts
    • 3,105Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thistle's Mission
    • 5th Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    Thistle's Mission 5th Sep 16 at 3:41 PM
    My life has been in a huge mess for years - finances, house, health, priorities... I seem to have no self discipline and it is time to change. I am starting this diary to keep myself accountable and hopefully gain some tips and support along the way. I'd like to look back in 12 months and be happy with how far I've come.

We are in the process of applying for DROs after years of only being able to pay the minimum on our debts. In the last 18 months, we closed a dying business and moved to a new town where Mr Thistle has only found part-time work. I am not completely unable to work, though I do have health issues and some bad days where I can't do a lot. At the moment I do music when I can and sell our excess stuff on ebay, though once I'm feeling stronger I am planning on looking for part time work.

We moved into the cheapest house we could find, it's extremely small and has no storage. We have too much stuff and there are piles of boxes, etc. everywhere. Once I get control of the clutter, it will be a lovely. We are hoping to be here for at least five years. I would like to save up for a second hand pine Welsh dresser to put in the dining room, I have dreamed of having one for decades and the extra storage would come in very handy.

My weight has started to affect my health and I am tired of always being tired and in pain. At the moment I want to lose 7 stone and get back into good shape. We all need to eat more healthily and I need to start cooking properly again.

Once the DRO is in place, it will take a long time before our credit score is in any kind of shape to buy our own house. We have very little discretionary money at the moment but if I can put aside the odd pound here and there, in 6 years or so we might have enough for a deposit to buy a tiny house of our own.

I need to get organised generally, I have a hard time finding things because there is no system in place. It all gets lost in the mess. I have no routine for anything, and I think this is a big part of the problem.

So, my current goals are:
    • Declutter the entire house
    • Lose 7 stone
    • Save for a Welsh Dresser and then:
    • Save for a house deposit
    • Get Organised
    • Stick to a routine

I know trying to change everything at once can be a recipe for disaster, so I am going to take things slow and work a little on each area every day, though I could do with some advice on where to start...

In the past I have turned a blind eye to the entire mess and focused on just getting through the day, it was too overwhelming to look at the big picture. After reading other diaries I have realised that I am not powerless and it's down to me to get my life back under control. Sorting out the finances was a big first step, now I just need to get going with the rest.
    Last edited by Thistle-down; 05-09-2016 at 3:48 PM.
Page 10
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 12th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    Smolly
    Hi Thistle
    Sorry I've been a bit quiet but trying to catch up now! Glad your Dr's appointment was ok. One less weight off your mind. How are you going with the £7 a day?

The Age UK shop you found where everything is a £1 is the same as ours, so it must have been a national decision to make a few stores like this. We have another one of these shops in a more local area but they charge the same prices as before. Ours does really well so I hope you get the chance to get back there.

I read a post yesterday but can't find it now - sure it was one of yours - maybe on Essex's thread? Not sure, but I'm pretty sure it was you talking about just doing a job when it needed to be done and not putting it off. I'm employing that attitude this morning. I've been thinking about it for ages and for today I'm not bothering with any lists, urgent or not. If it pops into my head because it needs doing then it's getting done. I've achieved so much already this morning just doing this. Shame I don't have this motivation everyday!

I haven't been near my jar recently Thistle but it is still there. I'll probably find when I do start taking jobs out to do I'll have already done them!

Anyway, hope you have a good day. xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 12th Oct 16, 12:30 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thanks Smolly! I haven't succeeded in not putting things off today, I just can't seem to get started on anything. I've done some laundry and made soup, I'm now going to take the dog out for a walk. Even getting that much done has been like walking through mud. It's down to my attitude, there is nothing physically wrong except a few minor aches. It's cold and grey and I want to hibernate!

I'm a bit behind on my £7 a day - I sold something on ebay for £43? 45? Can't remember now, but the money all went straight back out again paying for more gas and electricity on the meter, etc. I've told DH that he can't expect me to spend all the rent money I've been bringing in on essentials and still be able to pay the rent.

DH just got the news that his hours at work are being reduced after next week until next spring, and we will have £300 a month less coming in. I sure wish I had some of Dolly's Xmas list organisational skills put into practice already, as we will be able to cover the bills but not much else. Both kids know the situation and are old enough to understand that aside from stocking fillers, we won't be buying much. Their grandparents seem to enjoy spending on them so it's not like they will be missing out.

I've turned off the CH again and put on some long underwear. We are both committed to bringing in more money through ebay and gigs, so who knows. The reduced hours could be another blessing in disguise, I've had a lot of those lately!
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 7,051 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    That's the way to look at it Thistle.

Might work out better for you & I hope it does.

Dxxx
    Debt Free by Xmas 2017 6,186.67/14,523.76
    Saving for Xmas 2017 0/365
    Goal Weight by August 2017 27lbs/84lbs
    Mortgage Savings 2020 0/25,000
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 12th Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I think the first thing I need to do tomorrow is re-read this thread and then get some priorities/goals down in a timeline. I seem to have completely lost track of why I started this diary in the first place!

Tonight I have band practice so will get nothing else done.

Today I accomplished:
    1. 5 large loads of laundry
    2. Tidied up the mess DS left behind in his room (normally wouldn't bother but we have an inspection soon)
    3. Cleaned and tidied front room

Today I am grateful for:
    1. A fantastic washing machine and a tumble drier!
    2. My DD still wanting to 'hang out' with me
    3. butternut squash soup
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 14th Oct 16, 8:34 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I'm sick

I thought I did so well to avoid DD's tonsillitis. It started yesterday with stomach cramps, I had a fever last night and now this morning everything hurts. My head especially.

I'm not going to attempt to do anything other than rest.
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 14th Oct 16, 10:06 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    Smolly
    Sorry to hear you're feeling rubbish Thistle and hope it clears up soon xx Lots of rest in order, take care of yourself xx
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 15th Oct 16, 4:22 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I'm still alive but quite poorly - it feels like I now have a chest infection/wheezing on top of the horrendous stomach cramps and fever. I'm not doing anything other than trying to sleep or wasting away hours watching TV. Can't concentrate enough to read.

I'm supposed to be meeting a songwriting partner near Whitby on Monday and am fearful that I will not be well enough to go. I've been looking forward to it for months, she lives in Aberdeen so we don't often have a chance to meet up. I know there's nothing to be done, and feeling sorry for myself won't change anything. Here's hoping for a miraculous recovery!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 15th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 6,342 Posts
    • 35,086 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Sounds like a variation on the norovirus thing Thistle - poor you! Hopefully it will do the decent thing and vamoose as fast as it arrived.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 16th Oct 16, 7:54 AM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 11,541 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Sorry you're feeling poo, so much going about now the weather's changing.

Hope it disappears quickly xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £8850.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

15 NSD - 8/15, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 £2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 17th Oct 16, 8:39 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thank you both!!

The wheezing went away over Saturday night, as did the fever and most of the aches. I spent all yesterday resting and am feeling pretty good now.

I just need to pack a few things and then I'm leaving for Whitby! I know I'm not 100% yet so will take it easy.

Hope you all are doing well!
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 17th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    Smolly
    Brilliant news Thistle, so pleased you're feeling better! Hope you enjoy your day with your song writing friend. Take care xx
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 6,342 Posts
    • 35,086 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Woop! Really glad to hear you're getting to see your friend after all!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 17th Oct 16, 11:22 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Glad you're feeling better but as my mum says, drink plenty of fluids! Have a lovely time in Whitby!
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 17th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 11,541 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Glad you're feeling much better.

Have a lovely time in Whitby, haven't been there for many a year.

• Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 18th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 7,051 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Glad you are feeling better & are up to your trip to Whitby.

Enjoy!

Dxxx
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 19th Oct 16, 12:24 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thank you all so much!

I had a fantastic time, came back with three new songs and a solid determination about the direction I am taking with the music.

The only money I spent was the petrol to get there and £8 on a bottle of our local elderflower cordial and plum loaf for her grandma (who was putting me up in her cottage) We had some good solid hours of songwriting the first day and spent the next morning wandering around Whitby, which just reinforced to me how much I want to live in that part of Yorkshire.

I returned home early last evening, even after a good night's sleep, I am tired and feeling a bit blah. There is lots to do, yet here I am still drinking coffee and reading MSE. I am taking the pup out for his walk in the next half hour so will get stuck into the missed housework when I get back. If I sit down I will turn on my laptop and the whole afternoon will be lost.

I hope you are all doing well!
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 19th Oct 16, 12:35 PM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 11,541 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Welcome back glad you had a nice time.

• Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 19th Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 7,051 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    That's fab news my sweet.

Hope you enjoyed your walk.

Dxxx
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 20th Oct 16, 10:47 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I have come to realise, as I sit here still on the computer at 10:45 am, that starting my day with coffee and a "quick catch up" is doing me no favours. I inevitably end stay online until lunchtime, take the dog out for his walk, and then attempt to get things done haphazardly in the couple of hours before I need to start on dinner. I am good at planning what needs to be done, but not so good at actually executing the plan.

I feel energised when I get back from walking the dog - being out in the fresh air, getting my heart rate up a bit. I wonder how different my day would be if I took the dog out as soon as my DD left for school, if I would continue to get things done rather than indulge my slothful side? Even if I worked up to my 2 hours of exercise, I'd still be home by 10:30, leaving me a good chunk of time to be productive.

I've had a big LBM this morning and fully accept that my overall laziness is the root cause of my problems. It's been a huge failing of mine. I can have a day or two of concentrated hard effort here and there, but it is never sustained. If I can't find a way to overcome my attitude and start working in a productive and meaningful way each day (or at least 5/7), things will not change, and my life will look very much the same in 12 months and 12 years time. I don't want to look back and think "if only I'd..."
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 20th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Hi thistle, I walk my dogs at 8 in the morning for an hour and a half. I find it wakes me up and gets me motivated for the rest of the day so definitely give it a go once DD has left for school. Try not to be so hard on yourself, we all have these crappy moments but you live and learn as they say!! Good luck!
    Jess x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

716Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter