Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 5th Sep 16, 11:18 AM
    • 14,975Posts
    • 22,621Thanks
    MrsTinks
    I can do this!
    • 5th Sep 16, 11:18 AM
    I can do this! 5th Sep 16 at 11:18 AM
    Hi all,

Some of you may remember me from years ago, I was infact a BG on DFW and a number of other boards for a very very long time

Life got hectic and busy and I ended up stepping down because in part I had lost my MSE motivation a little after probably overdosing on it... Work got manic, my daughter was a toddler and needed a lot of time, we were trying to move house and frankly life got in the way of things!

SO I am back with a vengeance after clicking on a forum post that was shared on the FB page and I've spent too many hours the last few days falling in love with MSE all over again!

This thread will be my personal diary on the way to finally getting DF - it's within reach and I will be honest and say I live a pretty comfortable life right now. There are a LOT of things I could cut back on but I choose not to... these are my personal choices and some (I have an occasional cleaner) are for my sanity due to the long hours I work.
    I have re-joined flylady to minimize my cleaner needs though, but it's something that when I pull 10-12 hour days then my free time will be prioritized for my daughter and not for washing the kitchen cabinets down

So please bear in mind that I know I could be far more brutal in my quest - there is no need to berate me for some of my frivolous luxuries, they are very conscious choices at this stage

That said - I shall go and create my full income and outgoings and post it here later this morning - i may be a while!!

DFW Nerd #025
Page 7
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 17th Jan 17, 12:46 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Second agreement moved forward too - why does simple things like this please me?? Financial organisation is SO satisfying Now all my DD's are at the start of the month with a little wiggleroom in case there are any payroll delays etc and nothing is floundering at the end of the month. Hooray!

I'd say I need a hobby... but I think I have too many already!
    DFW Nerd #025
    • boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 17th Jan 17, 10:34 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 1,417 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Ah MrsTinks, I hate doing stuff like that, you're really brave. I have done lots of it in the last few days and its actually quite easy and makes me feel better afterwards but I hate doing it nonetheless.

I just wanted to thank you for being so supportive when I posted 2 weeks ago. The advice and encouragement I was given was absolutely priceless and I feel like a completely different person today.

I have subscribed!

Boxofpaws
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 18th Jan 17, 10:39 AM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Hello boxofpaws - welcome to the madhouse!

We always try to be friendly on here and in the main DFW page, we may be as mad as a box of frogs but they're our frogs and anyone who doesn't like it can hop off

Doing things like this would have scared me years ago, I still dislike calling anywhere most of the time but I know I need to do it. Facing it head on and getting "results" that I want makes the next one seem less daunting and so I just take each day as it comes.

I might go through all the supermarket coupons that Martin has in this article and see if there are any that are of interest as my MSE thing today... mmmmmm
    DFW Nerd #025
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 23rd Jan 17, 7:15 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    [font=courier new]Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2531
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 150
    Total monthly income.................... 2681

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 440
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 0
    Electricity............................. 0
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 75.68
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 200
    Clothing................................ 30
    Petrol/diesel........................... 200
    Road tax................................ 18.37
    Car Insurance........................... 40
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 25
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 300
    Other child related expenses............ 65
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 55.52
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 30
    Other insurance......................... 50
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 25
    Haircuts................................ 25
    Entertainment........................... 0
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1579.57

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 425000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 40000
    Other assets............................ 7500
    Total Assets............................ 472500

[b]

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    MBNA...........................7560......75.6..... .0
    Barclay........................2601.3....55....... .0
    Debenhams......................0.........0........ .0
    Picture........................1660......110...... .0
    Total unsecured debts..........11821.3...240.6.....-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,681
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,579.57
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,101.43
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 240.6
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 860.83

So got the official letter that my main jobbie has officially upped my salary as agreed and will be in effect from 1st of Jan - hooray!

With having cancelled the pony as well (there will be a part payment next month as it's a 1 month notice period) and the increase in the monthly income we're cooking with gas folks!!

One shall go and sup a G&T whilst watching TV and pondering if it will be possible to convince Demon Daughter that going to bed early is a GOOD idea because frankly she's knackered (fell asleep in school) and she'll only get grumpier... (should be said we know the cause of this - she's had a cold and when she does she gets insanely sore lips and skin round the lips poor mite... we have lotions and potions but obviously it hurts and then she can't fall asleep and it just snowballs)
    DFW Nerd #025
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 24th Jan 17, 7:23 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Hooray! Payday will be on Friday (not Tuesday as I originally thought... it should really be the last day of the month but seems to more frequently be the last Friday of the month? I'm not complaining!)

I'm feeling quite positive about Feb - it's a super short month and I intend on hammering my debts! Darned gummit!
    DFW Nerd #025
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 6th Feb 17, 4:17 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    I can't believe it's only 3 weeks till payday - possibly slightly less depending on our payroll...

Having a bit of a grump today as my expenses haven't been paid yet and I want to settle my CC that I use for this. Annoyingly I figured I'd just settle it anyway and found I forgot my debit card at hoem and I can't remember the card numbers! ARRRGHHHHHH

Yes I know this is a stupid thing to get grumpy about But darned gummit it I had it set in my head I was settling that particular bill today!

Also have a few other outstanding amounts to get in so when they eventually materialize I shall be doing a straight transfer to one of my cards. I have no patience LOL
    DFW Nerd #025
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 6th Feb 17, 5:38 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Aha - apparently my expenses at least should arrive tomorrow (huzzah!) - and I guess I can log in from home to pay the CC bill LOL I'm actually intending on cancelling that card as it really doesn't give me the best spending returns... shall have to shop around for a new one using Martins guide I guess...
    DFW Nerd #025
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 7th Feb 17, 9:22 AM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Expenses were paid over night (huzzah!) and card used for expenses cleared. I like that feeling LOL

The money that was meant for something went on exactly that! Always nice when that works out I think hehehe

I have no idea if the husbeast will cough up the money he said he would or not, but I'll work on the assumption he will forget so I've not counted it in any of my numbers. If he does then it'll be a bonus!
    DFW Nerd #025
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 10th Feb 17, 3:00 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Well I'll be a monkeys uncle...

So husbeast coughed up half of the child minder fees and contribution to car payment (which he said he would as we no longer pay for my motorbike... not going to argue as it's going towards debt overpayment

It's currently sat in my savings along with another couple of hundred pounds whilst I decide on whether I am paying off over payments monthly or saving them up and just chunking them off when I've got it all to pay in one go... decisions...

There isn't enough to really matter about interest, so I'm trying to work out which has the better effect on me mentally... seeing the saving build up knowing it's for over paying - or seeing the balance reduce.

That or I guess I could leave 500 in savings for emergencies and then take every spare penny come payday and over pay... probably what I will end up doing as I hate 0's in my accounts (other than on credit cards)
    DFW Nerd #025
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 16th Feb 17, 11:49 AM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Unexpectedly it turns out I will probably have an extra 180 coming in over the next 3 weekends, there might be some minor expenses coming out of that for fuel but that will be minimal.

Probably won't get that until 4/3 but you never know LOL

As they say - every little helps
    DFW Nerd #025
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 16th Feb 17, 12:38 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    angelpye
    Yay Mrs Tinks, a few extra little bits of money and it adds up to quite a bit!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: 2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF 0/4200
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 16th Feb 17, 1:19 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    It surely does... And I've decided grudgingly that I have a lot of crafty stuff I will likely never ever use so I might as well try and sell some of that too... bah humbug LOL

Main problem is finding time to sort it all and photograph it... double bah humbug with sprinkles on top
    DFW Nerd #025
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 16th Feb 17, 1:37 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    angelpye
    Ha! Snap! But I am not ready to do that yet, well done you! I am still on the stage of picking all the easy fruit and reducing expenditure then will move on to the selling of unnecessary stuff but craft stuff is always necessary?
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: 2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF 0/4200
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 16th Feb 17, 1:43 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    I hear ya... but I've collected craft stuff that was more of a fad... I have "ooo shiny" disorder LOL

So need to go through and cull the bits I know I won't use in the next 5 years LOL might even get rid of a few other bits round the house at the same time, we shall see
    DFW Nerd #025
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 28th Feb 17, 2:44 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Hmmmm I think March is going to mark a bit of a change for me... I've been getting very down recently - especially about my size! So after some consultation with the husbeast we decided that we would splurge on a cross trainer for both of us to use. I know I know it's totally not MSE, but I did manage to get a very good deal on an ex-display model and it's one which importantly fits me and my stride so is more likely to actually get used!!!

I had a minor melt down after seeing myself and the size I've become and I needed to do something about it. So this month will be healthy eating, exercise twice a day (start with probably 10 mins and building up gradually!) - I've decided I will do the colour run this year as a target for myself.

I'm feeling much more positive this week than I have for a long time - like I'm taking back some control of my life again which I'm really pleased about. Yes it's another delay to the debt free date, and I will try to find a way to make up for that... Might need to see if anyone buys excess fat somewhere LOL I have plenty of that!!!
    DFW Nerd #025
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Mar 17, 3:07 PM
    • 7,149 Posts
    • 38,040 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ahh there is a lot of this about at the moment it seems. I decided to make february a month of really watching what I ate in terms of refined sugar - and that went well, and also sparked me off into generally eating more healthily and reducing portion sizes and snacking too - so that was a result! I don't "do" diets as I always end up getting bored and reverting to old habits, so for me this has been far more about building new, better, habits. So far, so good!

You're right about the feelings of positivity that can come from that "taking control" thing too - it can make such a difference I think, and ultimately feeling in a better place mentally might well speed up your debt repayment drive in any event.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/324.14
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 15th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2531
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 150
    Total monthly income.................... 2681

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 440
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 0
    Electricity............................. 0
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 75.68
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 200
    Clothing................................ 30
    Petrol/diesel........................... 200
    Road tax................................ 18.37
    Car Insurance........................... 40
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 25
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 300
    Other child related expenses............ 65
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 55.52
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 30
    Other insurance......................... 50
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 25
    Haircuts................................ 40
    Entertainment........................... 0
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1594.57

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 0

[b]

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    MBNA...........................7838.16...80....... .0
    Barclay........................2451.2....50....... .0
    V12............................1327.44...110...... .0
    Total unsecured debts..........11616.8...240.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,681
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,594.57
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,086.43
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 240
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 846.43

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Thought I should update this just for my own entertainment - I'm building up some savings at the moment to make a large chunk payment on the debts, although it turns out that I might be debt free in a month or two...

I would have preferred for this money not to come in but as we lost the battle against HS2 then I guess I should at least embrace it and take the homeowner compensation that is rightfully ours... Which half of will be almost exactly my unsecured debt... Folks... I might just be damn well debt free in a months time or so!

I'll still have the secured debt on the car but not massively worried about that. It's just the fact I'll be debt free that's a bit of a shock to be honest... I never really expected that money as I actually thought we'd moved in after the cut off - turns out I wasn't doing my head maths right and we moved in just under a year before the deadline... Ooooooops!!!

So yeah... just waiting for the people what handle this to come back to us and tell us to instruct solicitors etc (they only pay out to solicitors who have a duty to make sure you're who you say you are etc) - after that a few people have been told it's about 20 days so this could all happen very quickly!!!
    DFW Nerd #025
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 15th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 7,149 Posts
    • 38,040 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Well that IS good news - as you say if you have to accept that you've lost at least getting compensated helps!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/324.14
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 15th Mar 17, 10:12 AM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Well that IS good news - as you say if you have to accept that you've lost at least getting compensated helps!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Yep - we knew it was always a likely outcome, even when we bought the house. What we didn't find out till way after was that they decided to stick a massive depot within half a mile of our house... a 24/7 depot, the main depot for the whole HS2 build. THAT fight is still ongoing because the infrastructure here can't take it at the moment. And frankly I don't want a 24/7 brightly lit depot with all the building trains etc coming and going all round the clock... never mind that it means they'll be blocking roads and causing huge pollution, the noise and light pollution will devastate the village and the nature reserve next to it! grrr grumble...
    DFW Nerd #025
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,459Posts Today

8,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin