Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 5th Sep 16, 11:18 AM
    • 14,585Posts
    • 22,066Thanks
    MrsTinks
    I can do this!
    • 5th Sep 16, 11:18 AM
    I can do this! 5th Sep 16 at 11:18 AM
    Hi all,

Some of you may remember me from years ago, I was infact a BG on DFW and a number of other boards for a very very long time

Life got hectic and busy and I ended up stepping down because in part I had lost my MSE motivation a little after probably overdosing on it... Work got manic, my daughter was a toddler and needed a lot of time, we were trying to move house and frankly life got in the way of things!

SO I am back with a vengeance after clicking on a forum post that was shared on the FB page and I've spent too many hours the last few days falling in love with MSE all over again!

This thread will be my personal diary on the way to finally getting DF - it's within reach and I will be honest and say I live a pretty comfortable life right now. There are a LOT of things I could cut back on but I choose not to... these are my personal choices and some (I have an occasional cleaner) are for my sanity due to the long hours I work.
    I have re-joined flylady to minimize my cleaner needs though, but it's something that when I pull 10-12 hour days then my free time will be prioritized for my daughter and not for washing the kitchen cabinets down

So please bear in mind that I know I could be far more brutal in my quest - there is no need to berate me for some of my frivolous luxuries, they are very conscious choices at this stage

That said - I shall go and create my full income and outgoings and post it here later this morning - i may be a while!!

DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    Sept 2016 - £10811 Oct £10166 to clear Cleared Since Sept 16:£645 6% repaid Declutter 25 items in November target: 0/25 Make £10 extra a day in November: £57/£150
Page 2
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 3rd Oct 16, 12:02 PM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    A little more off today as the MBNA payment went out (hooray!) SO not counting car payments that's £645 cleared in a month I'm quite chuffed with that! I expect the only over payment this month will be what I can earn extra and throw at the Debenhams card - 2 weeks holiday is not going to lend it self to over paying debts I expect but I knew it was coming and I am just happy that I have cash in the bank so nothing will be going on cards!
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    Sept 2016 - £10811 Oct £10166 to clear Cleared Since Sept 16:£645 6% repaid Declutter 25 items in November target: 0/25 Make £10 extra a day in November: £57/£150
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 12th Oct 16, 4:56 PM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    It's been quiet for the last 10 or so days because I've landed the mother of colds darned it!

We leave for holiday on Tuesday so I'm hoping that all the sunshine will help me kick the sniffles and re-charge my batteries - it better as my work is about to go utterly mad so I need some full batteries!

I've got a day of work this saturday in addition to my usual proper job so that will be a few pennies towards my monthly challenge lol
    I'm going to start training for my CBT instructors licence when I get back - no idea how long that takes but it's free in return for providing some holiday and sick cover (paid!) where I already help out so all good! Also looks like some contracting will start when I get back which is going to be on top of full time job - I'm going to put every penny of this towards debt repayments too as it's money I've not counted on having so YAY!

For now though I am going to enjoy basking in some glorious sunshine - I shan't give a monkey about spending money whilst away because I know we have it in the funds and it's all been accounted for

Oh and likely my regular salary will go up by £2,500 before tax too in December as a clause I had put in there comes into effect LOL Whoop whoop!
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    • FullTimeAdult
    • By FullTimeAdult 12th Oct 16, 5:33 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    FullTimeAdult
    Congratulations on your success so far!

Hope you have a lovely holiday
    Debts £5956.40 £5927.36
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Oct 16, 8:37 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 35,211 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Happy holidays Mrs T!

So, we'll be diary-sitting while you're away then hmmmm? I remember the good old days of thread-parties with Hypno & Taxi - that seems like so long ago now.
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 13-10-2016 at 8:25 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 13th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Happy holidays Mrs T!

So, we'll be diary-sitting while you're away then hmmmm? I remember the good old days of thread-parties with Hypo & Taxi - that seems like so long ago now.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    I had a bit of a nostalgic moment the other day when an Old Style thread started by Squeaky popped up... When I walked away temp from MSE I stayed in touch with him and it was a huge shock to me when he passed away without any warning. So seeing ANY of the old gang always cheers me up

We had some wicked times back in the day LOL Some evenings much alcohol was consumed and gallons of tea was gulped LOL
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 35,211 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I had a bit of a nostalgic moment the other day when an Old Style thread started by Squeaky popped up... When I walked away temp from MSE I stayed in touch with him and it was a huge shock to me when he passed away without any warning. So seeing ANY of the old gang always cheers me up

We had some wicked times back in the day LOL Some evenings much alcohol was consumed and gallons of tea was gulped LOL
    Originally posted by MrsTinks
    You've broken some news to me there that I'd missed. How sad. :-(

Oddly enough I was clearing my DM box the other day - and still can't bring myself to delete Taxi's DM's - nor can I unsubscribe from KissJenn's thread.

You're right though - I can remember sitting howling with laughter sometimes - I do wonder if Hypno still has the tin of sprouts, too!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 14th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Well 2 pine bedside units have gone for £40 hopefully - I should be able to add £60 to that tomorrow from adhoc work so only another £50 to find for my £10 a day challenge LOL

Have listed 3 sets of curtains and some other bits for sale so hoping they go before I head off on holiday. If not then shall leave them with a friend to try and sell in my absence.

Work is going to be getting super insanely busy in the next few months - even more than I thought it would... Bring on that payrise!

Todays big positive is that my chairman brought in a bottle of champagne for all of us to take home as a well done on all the works and results we've had in the last month which was nice - especially as it's a really good bottle from his personal collection (he's silly rich LOL)
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Oct 16, 10:45 AM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 35,211 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ooh posh bubbly is definitely a win!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 17th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Bubbly is ALWAYS a win LOL

It's still in my fridge - trying to decide if I should open it this evening as I'll officially be on holiday...

12 days of sunshine - I can't wait! I need to recharge my batteries SO badly!

Had my hair done again yesterday (bad me!!!) - I was going to cancel but husband pointed out that I probably won't get it done again this year (he knows me...) and it IS holiday... and frankly what's the point if once in a while I don't get a little naughty... *sigh*

Of course we shall ignore that I then spent £40 on a winter rug for the pony (because I'm a pushover) and I did make another investment purchase... ooops. That said the money for that one is in savings so will clear that when we get back and this one is one I've been after for about 18 months. It also happens to have been even more fortuitous than I thought that I bought it when I did as the artist then hit the news big time 3 days later... which means it's actually gone up in value already LOL

I'm rubbish at having savings - I'd spend them - so "stoozing" in investment pieces is what works for me.
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 1st Nov 16, 10:30 AM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Back from the sunshine and warm weather! I shall miss Florida and it's amazing climate, but my bones feel warm again and whilst I'm exhausted from travel and sleeping on crap beds then I'm sure I shall soon catch up on that!

This month I've set a target of £10 a day extra income - no idea how! LOL

It's my birthday at the end of the month, I've got a lunch date out planned to a Michelin star restaurant and I'll be going to London for dinner at Rules as a reward from work (for bringing a VERY large client over the line after a long battle!) so there are some small outgoings in travel etc.

Lots to still do for Christmas and presents but I'll no doubt manage all that too LOL

Didn't go nuts on the spending but I did have a few splurges - mainly clothes as over there so much more FITS me! It's all stuff I need, mainly for work, so I don't feel too bad about it

Right - now I shall attempt to get through my hundreds of emails that have piled up in my absence!
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 1st Nov 16, 11:32 AM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 35,211 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Welcome back Mrs T - glad all went well!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 1st Nov 16, 1:56 PM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Well apart from the bank flagging my cardd for fraud - despite being told I was in Orlando!

So had a LONG call with them on the mobile which I am hoping they will refund me for. Then they initially wouldn't unblock my card, eventually did, still can't use it so now cardless till new one arrives... Meaning everything has to go on the credit card (which is in fairness why I have them...) just means I need to not over pay too much until I'm sure everything on the credit card is on my statement so I can pay it all off

Am joining the Sealed Pot Challenge for next year just need to pick a pot!!
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 1st Nov 16, 4:27 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 35,211 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Well apart from the bank flagging my cardd for fraud - despite being told I was in Orlando!

So had a LONG call with them on the mobile which I am hoping they will refund me for. Then they initially wouldn't unblock my card, eventually did, still can't use it so now cardless till new one arrives... Meaning everything has to go on the credit card (which is in fairness why I have them...) just means I need to not over pay too much until I'm sure everything on the credit card is on my statement so I can pay it all off

Am joining the Sealed Pot Challenge for next year just need to pick a pot!!
    I still do the old "Virtual Sealed pot" thing - was part of the challenge for a few years on here and have stuck with it on my own. So far this year we've got somewhere about £275 I think, which will pay the car hire for our Hebrides Christmas trip.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 1st Nov 16, 4:52 PM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    I like the idea of a real pot - virtual ones are too easy to spend from guess for others it's the other way round LOL
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 2nd Nov 16, 10:37 AM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    So waiting for my debit card... *tapping foot* - yeah I suck at waiting! I have stuff I want to over pay! Don't they know this??? I can't use paypal as it's linked to my bank account, I can't overpay my debts online as... I do it by card... and I have £10 in my purse LMAO - Lidl don't allow credit cards as far as I know (I could be wrong?) so I definitely need to do a cupboard stock take tonight - as good a time as any!

Should have had a meat delivery yesterday from the MSE blagged offer - however the muppets use Yodel who failed to deliver it but will deliver it today... great - that meat better still be cold! Otherwise you can bloody come pick it back up! Eurgh!
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 2nd Nov 16, 12:27 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 35,211 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I like the idea of a real pot - virtual ones are too easy to spend from guess for others it's the other way round LOL
    Either way works for me - I have assorted pigs for small change, £2 coins etc too, and like the VSP, "what goes in, doesn't come out" until the end of the year (VSP is 1st December, Pigs are end of February). Like you say, different strokes for different folks, though.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 3rd Nov 16, 1:46 PM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Cannot motivate myself this week at all which is annoying... yeah I still have jetlag but I also have a load of stuff to do both work and life - curses!

Oh well - I'm hoping that new card will arrive tonight - I hate having to use credit card to pay for stuff - I know I will just make a transfer when the card arrives but it's the principle!

Also should have had the meat box that MSE blagged codes for but amazingly Yodel screwed up delivery twice... so the poor company now has to send me another one and try and get a refund from Yodels incompetence. Best of luck!

Today I had lunch from the site canteen - it's definitely encouraged me to start looking at meals from home - it's got exceedingly dire in my absence! Eurgh! Oh well - should save me more pennies too! hahaha

DD had parent teacher conference last night which husbeast attended - apparently she's way ahead, despite missing a week LOL Her head master popped in too and said he had no issues with us having taken her out (again) for a holiday as her attendances are still over 95% he really isn't worried - infact he thought it was healthy for her to see as much as we made sure she did. Interestingly she told them about how some people even in america are very very poor. We saw our share of homeless and beggars and I'm proud that she took on board that we live a very nice life that not many do and shared that with her school when she got back. Thankfully her school also recognize the importance of family time away which I'm grateful for. She had her first school swimming lesson yesterday - was immediately moved up a group (she's had lessons for about 2 years lol) and they will assess her there and see if she needs to move up again next week lol

So a proud mummybear all round
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 6th Nov 16, 10:49 PM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    This weekend was mainly dedicated to being totally naughty... ooops!

Got a new piece of my tattoo done - yeah not in any way necessary, but oops...

Tonight I did my car insurance - renewal over 12 months would have been £522.92 and having upgraded the cover significantly to options I need (I work kind of in the industry and a few friends have had accidents recently so from experience I know there are a few bits I really need and I got breakdown cover included and a lower excess)

New cost £419 and if all tracks there will be a £50 quidco cashback - oh and I get cashback on the card I used too LOL
    So yeah it sucks that it costs that much, but hey we gotta have it and I'm rid of the worlds worst insurance company ever! (Was Green Insurance now trading as KwikFit Insurance Services - avoid!)

Off to bed as knackered - going to be shuffling money around tomorrow to pay off as much as possible on the card I've just loaded (grrrrr) - oh and MOT due soon too... !!!!!!
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 7th Nov 16, 11:01 AM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Quidco has tracked - it will be MONTHS before they pay out but it's £50 when they eventually (hopefully) do! LOL

Need to bite the bullet and do a couple of cold Saturdays or Sundays to make myself feel better about my little splurge on myself - i need to suffer for my treat! Cold days outdoors seems a fair ish way of torturing myself... (although arguably a cover up tattoo is not painless really so not like it was a FUN treat as such...)

Should totally be slaving away today - guess i better get to it.
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 8th Nov 16, 12:13 PM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Updated the SOA - there are a few things removed because I had to totally clear my browser the other day so had to reload everything in there - bah humbug! And I decided to remove my assets from this SOA as they're really for my reference more than anything...

The Debenhams account will also go up a little more - but the exact amount I will know end of the month after I've paid a chunk off it it following the period where I couldn't pay due to bank locking everything down after suspected fraud... *sigh*

Shall update that end of the month when I've cleared some.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2388.79
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 2388.79

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 311
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 0
    Electricity............................. 0
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 76.09
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 200
    Clothing................................ 30
    Petrol/diesel........................... 200
    Road tax................................ 11.37
    Car Insurance........................... 34.91
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 20
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 300
    Other child related expenses............ 168
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 55.52
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 30
    Other insurance......................... 50
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 25
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 0
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1511.89

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 0

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 0........(0)........0
    Hire Purchase (HP) debt ...... 10080....(311)......4
    Total secured & HP debts...... 10080.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Picture........................1880......111...... .0
    MBNA...........................7713......80....... .0
    Debenhams......................600.......0........ .0
    Total unsecured debts..........10193.....191.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,388.79
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,511.89
    Available for debt repayments........... 876.9
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 191
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 685.9

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 0
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -10,080
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -10,193
    Net Assets.............................. -20,273

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.
    Last edited by MrsTinks; 08-11-2016 at 12:25 PM. Reason: updated SOA
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,261Posts Today

6,045Users online

Martin's Twitter