Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kickgirl
    • By kickgirl 5th Sep 16, 9:59 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kickgirl
    PAYE Coding Notice
    • 5th Sep 16, 9:59 AM
    PAYE Coding Notice 5th Sep 16 at 9:59 AM
    Hello
    I am completing my 2015-16 tax return and there is a section asking about my PAYE Coding Notice. I don't remember receiving this. How can I request it? How much will it affect me if I don't have it?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 5th Sep 16, 10:04 AM
    • 4,609 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 5th Sep 16, 10:04 AM
    • 5th Sep 16, 10:04 AM
    Not everyone receives a coding notice.

Where you on the standard tax code last year?
    • kickgirl
    • By kickgirl 5th Sep 16, 10:40 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kickgirl
    • 5th Sep 16, 10:40 AM
    • 5th Sep 16, 10:40 AM
    the tax code was an L code ( is that what you mean by standard code?) and my final code on p60 for that period was L.

This is the second time I have had to complete a tax return. Last year I paid an accountant to do it but decided to do it myself last year

This is the text on the SA form

Our records show that your 2015 to 2016 PAYE Notice of Coding includes an adjustment for tax underpaid. Please complete the following question(s).

Underpaid tax for earlier years included in your tax code for 2015-16 (from your PAYE Notice of Coding). Please enter '0' if there is nothing shown::
    If this figure is not correct, select 'No' and you will be given a chance to amend it below.*
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 5th Sep 16, 11:11 AM
    • 4,609 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 5th Sep 16, 11:11 AM
    • 5th Sep 16, 11:11 AM
    The standard code last year was 1060L. If yours was different to this then I believe you should have received a coding notice.

You can call HMRC and ask them.
    • liviboy
    • By liviboy 5th Sep 16, 12:18 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    liviboy
    • 5th Sep 16, 12:18 PM
    • 5th Sep 16, 12:18 PM
    On my online HMRC account I have a link to PAYE Coding Notices and it gives me my coding notices issued since I registered for SA in PDF format. Saves phoning HMRC and waiting for the letter to arrive.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Sep 16, 12:30 PM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 5th Sep 16, 12:30 PM
    • 5th Sep 16, 12:30 PM
    The standard code last year was 1060L. If yours was different to this then I believe you should have received a coding notice.
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    Yes and no. A coding notice will have been issued at some point, but it wouldn't necessarily have to have been in the 2015-16 tax year, it could have been in a previous year if there had been no subsequent change to whatever caused the initial notice to be issued (I'm sure you know that but just spelling it out to the OP who may not).
    • jeffkey1
    • By jeffkey1 13th May 17, 4:15 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jeffkey1
    • 13th May 17, 4:15 PM
    • 13th May 17, 4:15 PM
    More detailed instructions to find your PAYE Coding notices.

Sign in to your .gov.uk Tax account.

Go to "Self Assessment"

Go to "More Self Assessment Details"

On the menu on the left open "View PAYE coding notices"

Select year etc.....

Hope this helps.
    • GrahamPye
    • By GrahamPye 13th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GrahamPye
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    Only if you do self assessment online
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    jeffkey1's method only works if you submit self-assessment forms online, If you don't have to fill in a tax form, then the link above won't show you anything. Graham (still looking...)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,861Posts Today

6,003Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin