Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 6,778Posts
    • 30,547Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Couch to 5K support thread.
    • 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    Couch to 5K support thread. 4th Sep 16 at 7:27 PM
    I have looked for a similar thread, but they are all over 1 year old, and dead. So i thought I'd start a new one!

I am on a mission to get healthier and fitter.
    In 2010 i gave up smoking, and in Feb 2016 i gave up drinking alcohol. I feel like fitness is my last 'thing'.
    I hate exercise, and am incredibly unfit. I could do with losing 10lbs too.

I am about to start the Couch to 5K programme, does anyone else want to join me? Or has anyone else just started/completed/have experience of doing this?
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Page 30
    • HonourlessWeasel
    • By HonourlessWeasel 22nd Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    HonourlessWeasel
    Oops, meant to reply before this!

It would be great if we had a physio, but we're one of those teams where we do everything ourselves, fund everything, get everywhere of our own volition so we can't afford a physio, we don't even have shirt sponsors.

The Indometacin for my head is the strongest anti-inflammatory going and it's helping with the hips too, I just can't take it long term, boo!!

A day in between is definitely helping. Made a mistake of walking four miles on one of those days and ended up with painful shins, but the running hasn't given me shin splints so far, and the ankles needed that time off to recover. Going up to a minute and a half wasn't bad either.

Have a question for everyone here really, prompted by a friend who asked me, how do you deal with running in 'inclement' weather? Rain, cold that kind of thing? You can't be a 'fair weather golfer' and just bail on it because 'it's a bit wet out' especially as the weather's about to change as that will kill all of your progress. It's not just about keeping warm and dry either, weather can affect the chances of getting injured too.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 22nd Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    My more experienced running friends tell me that 'running in the rain is great' and that however hard it's been to go out in the cold, they've never regretted it.

Coming up to my first cold season as a runner, I don't think I can escape the weather forever and I've really struggled when it's been hot, so a nice cooling wind might be good. I have invested in some new running shoes as my old ones are getting a bit worn and I think a good tread will help on wet roads. I think a good warm-up and cool-down routine will help reduce the chance of injury.

Glad your running is 'working' for you, days off & all! Shame there's no handy physio, but the information will be out there somewhere... can your GP give you a referral? Ours can.

If you are needing anti-inflammatories long-term, my best suggestion would be to look closely at your diet to make sure it's helping, not hindering. I know some people may have food intolerances that aren't actually allergies but which can have a negative effect. On the positive side, good hydration, balanced diet with plentiful anti-inflammatory foods, enough fats but good ones not bad ones - you probably know all this better than I do!

There is another running thread which seems to have very experienced people on it who would be more clued up than I am.
    • greengiant00
    • By greengiant00 26th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    greengiant00
    When buying runners for jogging it's best to prioritise function and suitability of the runner for your needs over colours and what looks pretty this season.

Injury prevention should be a consideration.

• Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 11th Oct 17, 7:01 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,380 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I was so proud to make it to level 7 at the start of the year but just lost motivation. I'd like to get back into it but I feel so heavy and clumsy now. Not sure if I should start up again or lose a bit of weight first? I watch extreme weight loss and they make 400lb people run but I'm unsure about myself. I'm not 400lbs but feel heavy and don't want to risk injury.
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 23rd Oct 17, 9:22 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    After a really long illness/recovery time and a number of huge life changes (!!) I'm back on the programme... Just completed W3R1 and didn't feel like I was dying until the last run, which is an improvement for me. Get some odd looks with my beetroot-red face though... Ah well, loosely aiming for 5K by Christmas.. But not going to mind if I have to repeat a few weeks. Still loving Sarah Millican cheering me on!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 24th Oct 17, 12:53 AM
    • 955 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I was so proud to make it to level 7 at the start of the year but just lost motivation. I'd like to get back into it but I feel so heavy and clumsy now. Not sure if I should start up again or lose a bit of weight first? I watch extreme weight loss and they make 400lb people run but I'm unsure about myself. I'm not 400lbs but feel heavy and don't want to risk injury.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    I found running made all the difference between me losing weight and staying the same. You could have a word with your doctor if you aren't sure it's safe to run, and if they say it's okay, start but be gentle with yourself: take your rest days, eat your carbs and protein to help your body cope, and enjoy getting 'off the couch'.

CattyCatX, well done on getting back into the programme! That's real commitment after so much to cope with.
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 29th Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    CattyCatX

CattyCatX, well done on getting back into the programme! That's real commitment after so much to cope with.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge

Thanks Cherryfudge! Just did W4R1 this morning... wow, that was hard! It's further than I got through the programme last time before illness stopped me so was unknown territory for me... At least I completed it. Did feel like I was counting down every second though but I guess a few weeks ago I felt like that about the 90-second runs so must be improving!

Also felt unreasonably angry with Sarah Millican when she told me I was only halfway through
    • Merlin's Beard
    • By Merlin's Beard 29th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 831 Thanks
    Merlin's Beard
    Thanks Cherryfudge! Just did W4R1 this morning... wow, that was hard! It's further than I got through the programme last time before illness stopped me so was unknown territory for me... At least I completed it. Did feel like I was counting down every second though but I guess a few weeks ago I felt like that about the 90-second runs so must be improving!

Also felt unreasonably angry with Sarah Millican when she told me I was only halfway through
    Originally posted by CattyCatX
    I get that too... half way isn't great, half way means I've got to do everything I've just done AGAIN!!

Now I'm into longer runs (just done week 8 run 1 ) has anyone got any tips for keeping the boredom at bay? I'm doing this to stay healthy, not because I like running, and it's difficult to mentally keep going sometimes.
    Grocery Challenge June 17 onward; aim: £100/month; leftovers to date: £8.79
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 29th Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 16,366 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Now I'm into longer runs (just done week 8 run 1 ) has anyone got any tips for keeping the boredom at bay?
    Originally posted by Merlin's Beard
    I find that its easy you have something that you need to plan. Or learn to switch off. I find on runs longer than about 10k I can just switch off mentally.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 31st Oct 17, 12:37 AM
    • 955 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Originally posted by CattyCatX
    Halfway means you are stronger and faster than ever before and on the way to a new personal best.

I get that too... half way isn't great, half way means I've got to do everything I've just done AGAIN!!

Now I'm into longer runs (just done week 8 run 1 ) has anyone got any tips for keeping the boredom at bay? I'm doing this to stay healthy, not because I like running, and it's difficult to mentally keep going sometimes.
    Originally posted by Merlin's Beard
    If I focus on the running all the time, I would get bored. Indesisiv is right - use the time to plan or listen to music. I would also suggest varying your route, varying the time you run, experimenting with going more slowly, taking shorter steps (those both helped me run better), running with or without a friend depending on what your normal practice is. I also get inspired by reading about running - amazingly I am finding ultra marathon runners putting into words things I'm discovering for myself! It also helps me sometimes to consolidate what I've been working on rather than pushing on. If it's been a tough week, repeat a day or so till you 'click' with that level. And take your days off!

Good luck and keep at it!
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 2nd Nov 17, 3:37 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    Thanks for the encouragement CherryFudge - that's a good way of looking at it! Next run for me will be W5R1... the dreaded Week 5. I think I'm freaking myself out about R3 already, though R1 looks manageable so trying my hardest to block out the fear and take it one run at a time... Not like it matters if I have to repeat the week in any case.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Nov 17, 11:22 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    How's it going CattyCatX? If you haven't already done R3, don't worry: I think it sounds worse than it is. Your body is almost there from the previous weeks' training, it's not as much extra as it looks, and if I remember rightly the next week is a bit lighter in comparison. If you do have to repeat any runs, don't worry - it's all training and it all makes you stronger.
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 8th Nov 17, 10:06 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    How's it going CattyCatX? If you haven't already done R3, don't worry: I think it sounds worse than it is. Your body is almost there from the previous weeks' training, it's not as much extra as it looks, and if I remember rightly the next week is a bit lighter in comparison. If you do have to repeat any runs, don't worry - it's all training and it all makes you stronger.
    Thanks for the encouragement and kind words Cherryfudge! Well, this morning... I did it!! W5R3 - 20 minutes non-stop! I honestly never thought I would be able to do this and had in fact told all my family and friends that there was absolutely no way that I was going to be able to do it so had also told them not to ask me about it afterwards cos I would have failed . Even as a child or a teenage dancer (when I was at my peak of fitness) I couldn't run for 20 mins - it makes 5K seem achievable now...

I did find it very hard but for me it was definitely the mental challenge: the first 8 minutes were absolutely awful and I was still telling myself that I wouldn't make it but when I got to 10 minutes I realised I'd run further than ever before and the next 10 just flew by (well, they metaphorically flew... I'm doing pretty steady 12-minute miles but it's the distance not the speed, right?)

Looking forward to the rest of the programme much more now, and I actually felt grateful to Sarah Millican today instead of getting really angry at her!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 8th Nov 17, 10:44 AM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 16,366 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Well done @CattyCatX
    Once you are running for 20 mins, its all simple from there. Now you know you can run that long, its just a case of fighting the mental battle to keep going.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Nov 17, 12:40 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Congratulations! That's quite some achievement! (I'm afraid I was still in bed at that time ).

Must have been a chilly start too.
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 8th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    Well done @CattyCatX
    Once you are running for 20 mins, its all simple from there. Now you know you can run that long, its just a case of fighting the mental battle to keep going.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Congratulations! That's quite some achievement! (I'm afraid I was still in bed at that time ).

Must have been a chilly start too.
    Thanks so much both!! I think I'm on a post-run high! Still can't believe it - I keep checking my apps in case I've imagined it

I tend to go out fairly early in the morning so that only a few dog walkers are around to see me
    It was around 10 degrees this morning and I'm still in just my running vest but think I'm going to have to invest in a proper long-sleeved running top - might head to the shops to try some on during my rest day tomorrow to be fair I haven't felt cold at all yet but know I will if the temperature drops another degree or so.
    Woo, looking forward to starting Week 6!
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 15th Nov 17, 11:10 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    Well, I just did Week 6, run 3 this morning AKA 25 mins!! Found Week 6 fairly tricky overall but this last one was a killer... I felt much, much worse than at the same points in W5R3's 20-min run but I think it must've been cos I was going far too fast... My 'happy' (aka coping!) pace seems to be 7.49min/Km but today I was running at 6.5min/Km for most of it - I managed to make a conscious effort to slow down in places but then would unconsciously speed up again. My last 5 mins were such a struggle and so, so slow that it brought me down to an average of 7min/Km. Any ideas on how to pace myself?! I really did think I was going to throw up today, so think it must be the (for me, excessive) speed. I did complete it though and am really hoping that Week 7 will be easier if I manage to pace myself and get used to running for 25 mins... I'm also thinking of trying out a new route for W7R1... not sure whether that will be a good or bad thing but am a bit bored with my current route now... Argh, please say it gets easier!!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th Nov 17, 11:21 AM
    • 955 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    It gets easier! Do you have music to run to? Experiment with something with a slower beat.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 15th Nov 17, 12:12 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 16,366 Thanks
    indesisiv
    CattyCatX pacing is the hardest part for most runners. Even experienced racers have issues pacing.
    My advice would be to stop consciously thinking about pace at this stage and just go at whatever is your natural pace.
    Everyone has a pace where if they stop concentrating their body will drift back to, for me its about 7:15 / mile. If I want to go slower I have to think about it, likewise when I want to go faster.

To be fair, whilst it does get a lot easier the more you run; some days are easier than others.
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 16th Nov 17, 9:17 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    It gets easier! Do you have music to run to? Experiment with something with a slower beat.
    CattyCatX pacing is the hardest part for most runners. Even experienced racers have issues pacing.
    My advice would be to stop consciously thinking about pace at this stage and just go at whatever is your natural pace.
    Everyone has a pace where if they stop concentrating their body will drift back to, for me its about 7:15 / mile. If I want to go slower I have to think about it, likewise when I want to go faster.

To be fair, whilst it does get a lot easier the more you run; some days are easier than others.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Thanks both!! Good point about the music - I might try listening to a podcast tomorrow instead, although I've noticed certain Apps don't work well with the C25K one (it definitely doesn't work when I use a radio App, for example). ... Might do a test listen this afternoon to see whether Sarah Millican cuts in at the right points during a podcast.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day, have definitely decided to try a new route, will see how it goes tomorrow morning! Thanks again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

1,201Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin