Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 6,778Posts
    • 30,547Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Couch to 5K support thread.
    • 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    Couch to 5K support thread. 4th Sep 16 at 7:27 PM
    I have looked for a similar thread, but they are all over 1 year old, and dead. So i thought I'd start a new one!

I am on a mission to get healthier and fitter.
    In 2010 i gave up smoking, and in Feb 2016 i gave up drinking alcohol. I feel like fitness is my last 'thing'.
    I hate exercise, and am incredibly unfit. I could do with losing 10lbs too.

I am about to start the Couch to 5K programme, does anyone else want to join me? Or has anyone else just started/completed/have experience of doing this?
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Page 30
    • HonourlessWeasel
    • By HonourlessWeasel 22nd Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    HonourlessWeasel
    Oops, meant to reply before this!

It would be great if we had a physio, but we're one of those teams where we do everything ourselves, fund everything, get everywhere of our own volition so we can't afford a physio, we don't even have shirt sponsors.

The Indometacin for my head is the strongest anti-inflammatory going and it's helping with the hips too, I just can't take it long term, boo!!

A day in between is definitely helping. Made a mistake of walking four miles on one of those days and ended up with painful shins, but the running hasn't given me shin splints so far, and the ankles needed that time off to recover. Going up to a minute and a half wasn't bad either.

Have a question for everyone here really, prompted by a friend who asked me, how do you deal with running in 'inclement' weather? Rain, cold that kind of thing? You can't be a 'fair weather golfer' and just bail on it because 'it's a bit wet out' especially as the weather's about to change as that will kill all of your progress. It's not just about keeping warm and dry either, weather can affect the chances of getting injured too.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 22nd Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    My more experienced running friends tell me that 'running in the rain is great' and that however hard it's been to go out in the cold, they've never regretted it.

Coming up to my first cold season as a runner, I don't think I can escape the weather forever and I've really struggled when it's been hot, so a nice cooling wind might be good. I have invested in some new running shoes as my old ones are getting a bit worn and I think a good tread will help on wet roads. I think a good warm-up and cool-down routine will help reduce the chance of injury.

Glad your running is 'working' for you, days off & all! Shame there's no handy physio, but the information will be out there somewhere... can your GP give you a referral? Ours can.

If you are needing anti-inflammatories long-term, my best suggestion would be to look closely at your diet to make sure it's helping, not hindering. I know some people may have food intolerances that aren't actually allergies but which can have a negative effect. On the positive side, good hydration, balanced diet with plentiful anti-inflammatory foods, enough fats but good ones not bad ones - you probably know all this better than I do!

There is another running thread which seems to have very experienced people on it who would be more clued up than I am.
    • greengiant00
    • By greengiant00 26th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    greengiant00
    When buying runners for jogging it's best to prioritise function and suitability of the runner for your needs over colours and what looks pretty this season.

Injury prevention should be a consideration.

• Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 11th Oct 17, 7:01 AM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I was so proud to make it to level 7 at the start of the year but just lost motivation. I'd like to get back into it but I feel so heavy and clumsy now. Not sure if I should start up again or lose a bit of weight first? I watch extreme weight loss and they make 400lb people run but I'm unsure about myself. I'm not 400lbs but feel heavy and don't want to risk injury.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

65Posts Today

3,076Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin