Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 6,778Posts
    • 30,547Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Couch to 5K support thread.
    • 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    Couch to 5K support thread. 4th Sep 16 at 7:27 PM
    I have looked for a similar thread, but they are all over 1 year old, and dead. So i thought I'd start a new one!

I am on a mission to get healthier and fitter.
    In 2010 i gave up smoking, and in Feb 2016 i gave up drinking alcohol. I feel like fitness is my last 'thing'.
    I hate exercise, and am incredibly unfit. I could do with losing 10lbs too.

I am about to start the Couch to 5K programme, does anyone else want to join me? Or has anyone else just started/completed/have experience of doing this?
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Page 29
    • pixiebel81
    • By pixiebel81 3rd Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    pixiebel81
    Newbie here, my partner and I did W1R1 yesterday. He did a lot better than me and managed to complete it properly whereas I think I only managed the full 60 secs of running twice, plus had to take a couple of minutes break completely near the end
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 1,474 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hi pixiebel, you started and that's the most difficult bit of all! I am just amazed at how good C25K is at building fitness (and getting me into a particularly lovely dress for a big event next week, LOL).

I think everyone else has gone to start the 'slow jog' thread we were talking about recently, and I wasn't quick enough to catch them. How are you all? or is everyone watching the tennis now?
    30 days in June...
    NSDs 9/12, Exercise 8/12, Housekeeping £108.57/£120
    • pixiebel81
    • By pixiebel81 6th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    pixiebel81
    W1R2 last night. Did much better this time, didn't manage all the running but I think I did about three quarters of it :-)
    • fire-wannabe
    • By fire-wannabe 7th Jul 17, 6:38 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    fire-wannabe
    Hi, my last day of C25K today and also a race on Sunday....feeling nervous as I signed up for 10k and due to weeks that set me back I am just about doing 5k....ambitious thinking but will give it a go anyway, feeling deflated that time has arrived quick and I am not ready though...I will update next week how it went
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2017 #46 £555/£5380
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 7th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    A bit of a story here if anyone is interested and it may also help someone:

I had major back surgery (successful I may add ) in 2001 to my l3, 4 and 5 vertebrae which resulted in me basically giving up exercise and getting a sedentary office job. Fast forward to Jan 2013 and my weight had increased to 13 1/2 stone my cholesterol was high and my kids were telling me I needed to do something about it so I joined slimming world and ended up getting down to 11st and now have a cholesterol of 4.

Anyway I hit 60 in March and other than walk my dog still did no exercise so 13 weeks ago (after reading some postings on the C25K forum) I decided the best thing for me would be to join my local gym on the basis if I've paid for something I will use it.

I had read the the basis of the C25K theory but basically what I did was a mixture of cross trainer, treadmill and exercise bike with the treadmill being the thing I hate most and find the most challenging.

Anyway on the basis of the C25K I set myself some goals and last week managed 4K on the treadmill but this week I have cracked the 5K mark in 36 minutes.

I don't think I would have done this without reading the inspirational stories within this thread so a big thank you to everyone that has posted as you have given me the motivation to get myself reasonably fit again.

I now go to the gym twice a week and am just about thinking of whether or not I should be stupid enough to target a 10K
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 1,474 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Wow, I turn my back and people are being amazing! Well done all your former non-runners

I managed a couple of runs this week, neither of them more than 3K but hey! That's 3K more than I would ever have attempted before. We were on holiday and had to get up early before it got too hot, and there were quite a few late nights and big meals too... but it's such a good feeling to have run at all. In my defence: it was hot and hilly and my heart rate clocked 173 at one point but now that I'm fitter than I used to be I recovered okay.

I'm so looking forward to running back here where the slopes are gentler and the heat is less!
    30 days in June...
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 17th Jul 17, 10:08 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 2,968 Thanks
    Sharon87
    So I've got my 5k Race for Life this Sunday. I've yet to run a full 5k yet. I've done 4.4km, but with a lot of walking in that. My calf muscles are really tight, which slows me down a bit sometimes. Any advice on how to speed up recovery? I plan to keep at it after the 5k, and might do another one next year. I've bought new trainers to help as mine were getting old!

My first 5k I plan to half walk, half run, so my target is 45-50 minutes.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 1,474 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Do you do runner's stretches after your runs? If they are difficult, don't overdo it, just do a little more each time. Also have a small amount of protein in the first 20 minutes after a run: this will help the wear and tear on your muscles, and keep hydrated.

Lots of luck for the Race for Life, it's a great cause!
    30 days in June...
    • pixiebel81
    • By pixiebel81 18th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    pixiebel81
    Since I last posted I've had one really bad run which resulted in me taking my trainers back and exchanging them for a new pair, then the first run in the new pair went really well, didn't manage to do the full thing but it was probably my best run yet. That was last Tuesday, didn't manage to get out again until Sunday and it was disastrous. We both gave up halfway and came to the conclusion that running at in the early afternoon after not having eaten since breakfast maybe wasn't the best idea. Trying again this evening, fingers crossed we do a bit better!
    • AlecEiffel
    • By AlecEiffel 25th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    AlecEiffel
    Ugh

I did what I promised myself I wouldn't do, and stopped.

Got to week 9 in early May, running 30 mins but not making the 5k (did about 4 1/4 in the 30 mins running section). Then went on holiday for a week and work was mad when I got back and I fell out of the habit.

Getting back to it tomorrow - planning on starting at week 5 and seeing how I get on.

On the upside, I've lost a little weight since (5:2ing it).

Anyone else had a 2 month break and where did you restart?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

271Posts Today

1,614Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin