Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 6,775Posts
    • 30,543Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Couch to 5K support thread.
    • 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    Couch to 5K support thread. 4th Sep 16 at 7:27 PM
    I have looked for a similar thread, but they are all over 1 year old, and dead. So i thought I'd start a new one!

I am on a mission to get healthier and fitter.
    In 2010 i gave up smoking, and in Feb 2016 i gave up drinking alcohol. I feel like fitness is my last 'thing'.
    I hate exercise, and am incredibly unfit. I could do with losing 10lbs too.

I am about to start the Couch to 5K programme, does anyone else want to join me? Or has anyone else just started/completed/have experience of doing this?
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Page 28
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Jun 17, 11:44 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    The speed I "jog" at, if I'm overtaking you, you must be going backwards!
    Originally posted by Wild_Rover
    You are a genius! I knew there was a reason people kept staring.

W7R1 this evening: DH ran too, the temperature was beginning to fall and there was a lovely cool wind: perfect. I set the pace but DH and I both think we are now close to being on a par over a couple of miles. Mind you he would beat me over 100m, no problem.

I too keep my speed well down in order to be sure I complete the day's challenge, but it's actually a bit slower than I would naturally go so a couple of times today I treated myself to running at an easier pace, just for a moment. I can see I will be faster when I'm more experienced.
    30 days in June...
    NSDs 9/12, Exercise 8/12, Housekeeping £108.57/£120
    • fire-wannabe
    • By fire-wannabe 4th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    fire-wannabe
    We should start 'The Slow Jog' thread lol my speed is ridiculously close to walking speed.....anyway decided to repeat W7 after finishing it as I still have some walking breaks in between to catch my breath - so yesterday was W7R1 again....think I will keep repeating till I manage to do it all the time
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2017 #46 £465/£5380

The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread #130 £1015/1500
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 4th Jun 17, 10:22 AM
    • 4,810 Posts
    • 14,985 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    We should start 'The Slow Jog' thread lol my speed is ridiculously close to walking speed.....anyway decided to repeat W7 after finishing it as I still have some walking breaks in between to catch my breath - so yesterday was W7R1 again....think I will keep repeating till I manage to do it all the time
    Originally posted by fire-wannabe
    I'm starting to wonder about the narrator and music for the Slow Jog Programme podcasts......

Maybe a lager-sodden Johnny Vegas, telling folk to "slow down, what's your hurry?" or saying "as you pass the corner shop, look out for special offers on multi-packs of lager", or "try to time your warm-down 15 minutes stagger between supporting lamp posts or low walls so that you pass a kebab shop."

Music - "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston, or Laurie Anderson's "oh Superman"?

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Is this thread starting soon or for C25K graduates? Either way, let me know. At my pace it will take me till then to get to it.
    30 days in June...
    • fire-wannabe
    • By fire-wannabe 4th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    fire-wannabe
    I'm starting to wonder about the narrator and music for the Slow Jog Programme podcasts......

Maybe a lager-sodden Johnny Vegas, telling folk to "slow down, what's your hurry?" or saying "as you pass the corner shop, look out for special offers on multi-packs of lager", or "try to time your warm-down 15 minutes stagger between supporting lamp posts or low walls so that you pass a kebab shop."

Music - "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston, or Laurie Anderson's "oh Superman"?

WR
    Originally posted by Wild_Rover
    Love it already
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2017 #46 £465/£5380

The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread #130 £1015/1500
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Jun 17, 2:18 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I went for a run - in the wind and rain. It was still great.

I'm turning into one of them, aren't I?
    30 days in June...
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 7th Jun 17, 10:20 AM
    • 4,810 Posts
    • 14,985 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    After a couple of days break (sorry, I'm not jogging in flippers a snorkel and a wet suit for anyone) I did Week 6 Run 1 this morning.

I must confess I am a bit puzzled today as I found it quite hard!

WR

Edit - should have added ..... again, didn't stop....
    Last edited by Wild_Rover; 07-06-2017 at 11:05 AM. Reason: As stated
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Jun 17, 11:37 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    W7R3 this afternoon - got soaked to the skin but it was fun.
    30 days in June...
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 13th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 4,810 Posts
    • 14,985 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Hiya.

Due to being away, family events etc I've had almost a week off. I didn't fancy going straight back and doing Week 6 Run 2, so this morning I repeated W6R1.

Kept going, no ill effects. Run 2 probably on Thursday.

Cheers all and keep going!

WR
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 15th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 4,810 Posts
    • 14,985 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Hiya all.

Week 6 Run 2 done this morning ... bit tired towards end but kept going.

Even a nice light rain shower right at the end.... I don't usually like rain when I'm out, but today was fine by me!

WR
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 17th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 4,810 Posts
    • 14,985 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Well, it had to happen.....

Went for Week 6 Run 3 this morning. Couldn't keep it going and stopped after just under 20 minutes out of 25. Warm morning, full sun, but I am still cross with myself....

I'll restart Week six on Monday of next week.

Consoling myself with the progress I've made so far, but still feeling pretty hacked off.

WR
    Last edited by Wild_Rover; 17-06-2017 at 2:30 PM. Reason: Typo
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Jun 17, 12:16 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Two runs while I was away, fantastic area to run in: pretty village roads, country lanes and a tow path.

That was the last of W7 (repeated as I'd not run for a week) and the first of W8, which is supposed to be 28 minutes. However, I managed to dislodge the headphone jack from my phone and missed the instructions near the end! I was waiting for the cue to walk and it never came so eventually I gave in and did a visual check, only to find I'd been running a full five minutes too much - the fabled 5k!

Don't get too excited. It was a struggle. I'm not really ready for it, though it's good to know I (we) soon will be.

Today it's been far too hot to run (WR, commiserations: these hot days make it much harder to run, don't they. Don't let it stop you: it's probably just your body telling you the weather is hot and it could do with one more practice before moving on).

Incidentally, I can add to my list of the unexpected advantages of running. When I go running, I get to buy a chicken coop! Yes, really. Watch out for that opportunity, everyone. I would have missed it if I hadn't been so hot from running that I decided to get an ice cream. They never warned me on school sports days that there was something better for me than coming last in every race.
    30 days in June...
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Went for a run this morning but the heat was too much for me. That and dehydration and a lack of planning... I arrived back home with 1.5 minutes of running still to go, plus the cool down, but instead of going round the block again I did a minimal amount of stretching and collapsed on the sofa.

Obviously I need to get up earlier when the weather's like this, and think it through a bit better! Never mind, am hoping to run on Tuesday and maybe today's run will count as training towards that.

How is everyone else doing?
    30 days in June...
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 19th Jun 17, 11:38 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    Sharon87
    So after not having exercised for a while, I've signed up to do a 5k run end of July! so I've got 5 weeks to train.

I went for my first run today, I didn't look at the couch to 5k before I went. I wanted to start out slow so only did 10 minutes with as much running as I could do. I did just over 1km in that time, which can be improved. It was also 28 degrees, so I don't think I did too badly for my first run. I also had to walk 5-7 minutes uphill on the way back which I didn't count.

I plan to do another short run tomorrow, maybe improve on the distance or time, or both!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 20th Jun 17, 12:14 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hi Sharon, it sounds as though you've been a runner in the past and I'm very much a newbie, but something C25K has taught me is the importance of rest days, especially as you're building up your running. They enable your body to repair (as does eating a small amount of protein in the half hour after a run).

A friend of mine pushed through to 5K just a bit early and ended up resting for weeks with a stress injury, so I'm being extra careful to take at least a day between runs. I'm still running further and faster than ever before though.

Lots of luck for your 5k!
    30 days in June...
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 20th Jun 17, 11:10 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    W8R2 today - it was cooler than Sunday so not as difficult for running but this level seems to be a bit of a challenge. It could be the heat, or my fitness levels, or the fact DH has come on these last few runs and having a companion might disturb my sense of timing. He commented that I'm running faster.
    I do find slower running is harder to sustain (achy legs) but if I'm faster, I think I outrun my strength.
    I've decided to see how R3 goes and if I don't feel significantly more capable, I'll repeat it till I feel I'm not pushing myself so much.
    30 days in June...
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 23rd Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I still haven't completed W8 though it's cooler here and I managed a run. I accidentally did a W7 one again! On the positive side, I went further and part of it was uphill. It was a bit windy too but I like that because it cools me down.

I'm assuming everyone else is either still melted into a puddle (that song about snowmen in summer comes to mind) or has finished a 5K and is powering their way to 10K, so far ahead of me that I can't see a soul.
    30 days in June...
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 26th Jun 17, 12:22 AM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    Sharon87
    Hi Sharon, it sounds as though you've been a runner in the past and I'm very much a newbie, but something C25K has taught me is the importance of rest days, especially as you're building up your running. They enable your body to repair (as does eating a small amount of protein in the half hour after a run).

A friend of mine pushed through to 5K just a bit early and ended up resting for weeks with a stress injury, so I'm being extra careful to take at least a day between runs. I'm still running further and faster than ever before though.

Lots of luck for your 5k!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Nope never done proper running before! I used to have a personal trainer to build up muscle and lose weight. Some of that involved running or using the cross trainer. My main weakness I believe are my ankles and knees, so will need to be careful with them.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for knee or ankle supports in case I need them?

I've done 3 runs so far, my average speed has improved, i just need to build up the time/length I run for. I've also started swimming to help improve my stamina without the impact on my joints, I ran/walked for 1.25km then swam 250m straight after. My aim for my next run/swim are run/walk/jog for 2k then another 250m swim.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 26th Jun 17, 10:57 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Finished! It crept up on me... the last of W8 is actually the graduation run!

Is it okay if I pop back from time to time to say I'm still running (it's too good to miss now... but we'll see if I still feel that way when it's autumn/winter ).

Keep putting your best foot forward everyone.

Sharon87, the supports are outside my experience I'm afraid but do ensure your instep is supported unless it's naturally strong. I've had problems with an almost-invisible over-pronation which has lead to wear & tear.
    30 days in June...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,531Posts Today

8,442Users online

Martin's Twitter