Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 6,778Posts
    • 30,547Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Couch to 5K support thread.
    • 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    Couch to 5K support thread. 4th Sep 16 at 7:27 PM
    I have looked for a similar thread, but they are all over 1 year old, and dead. So i thought I'd start a new one!

I am on a mission to get healthier and fitter.
    In 2010 i gave up smoking, and in Feb 2016 i gave up drinking alcohol. I feel like fitness is my last 'thing'.
    I hate exercise, and am incredibly unfit. I could do with losing 10lbs too.

I am about to start the Couch to 5K programme, does anyone else want to join me? Or has anyone else just started/completed/have experience of doing this?
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Page 26
    • fire-wannabe
    • By fire-wannabe 14th May 17, 2:46 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    fire-wannabe
    Today I did W5R3 slow as a snail but did it without stopping once and yes I agree it's about getting out there at the moment....speed will follow hopefully
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2017 #46 £758.52/£5380
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 16th May 17, 11:00 AM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 15,401 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Week 3, Run 1 done this morning. Kept going, didn't stop even when my calf muscles threatened to climb up my back and strangle me.

Family flowers only please. Donations to the "Wild Rover what the Hell does he think he's doing? Memorial Fund".

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 16th May 17, 11:20 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Donations to the "Wild Rover what the Hell does he think he's doing? Memorial Fund".
    Originally posted by Wild_Rover
    • newrunner
    • By newrunner 16th May 17, 9:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    newrunner
    Hi.
    I'm not much of a joiner but am enjoying the posts on here so thought I would add my experiences.
    I am fairly fit but my bits of running in the past have always been too much for me. So I started c25k a few weeks ago. Some runs have been tougher than others but finished w7r1 yesterday - 25 mins of running (very slowly). I got through it my telling myself that walking for 30 seconds here and there was ok. but I didn't need to and ran the whole 25 mins.
    So pleased with myself for keeping up with the plan and having faith.
    Still haven't told anyone yet as don't want the pressure.
    Louise
    Last edited by newrunner; 16-05-2017 at 9:51 PM. Reason: paragraphs
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th May 17, 12:28 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    finished w7r1 yesterday
    Originally posted by newrunner
    Brilliant! Well done, that must have been a good feeling!

I didn't run today but I did something over 14,000 steps so I'm counting that as exercise.
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 17th May 17, 3:10 PM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 6,062 Thanks
    clairec79
    I was on this thread a while ago, and completed and ran 5k once back in October - not run since.

So last week I decided to restart the programme. Will be doing week 2 tomorrow.

Hope all of you are doing well on your journey
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 18th May 17, 1:04 PM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 15,401 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Hi all.

Week 3 Run 2 done this morning. Again, kept going to the end.

Not quite as knackered at the end as I was last time, but my calf muscles are now consulting a lawyer and threatening a trial separation. They seem likely to demand custody of both ankles and at least one Achilles tendon and that I sit with my feet up for 6 hours a day.

They say I haven't a leg to stand on.

Nobody said this was going to be easy........

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • dawnydee73
    • By dawnydee73 19th May 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 4,541 Thanks
    dawnydee73
    Not far behind me Wild_Rover, completed W4 R1, it was hard work today, my app lied and said I had a minute left which kept me going, it was actually 90 secs, but I did it.

I'm doing mine on a treadmill which I believe is easier than outside, I do put it on an incline to make a bit harder, but it's convenient on the treadmill as I do it after strength training at the gym, I don't think I would motivate myself as much to go for a run from home

Might have to repeat week 4 as got a busy and stressful week ahead and may not get to the gym, but really want to complete this, never thought I'd get this far
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 20th May 17, 8:54 AM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 15,401 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Not far behind me Wild_Rover, completed W4 R1, it was hard work today, my app lied and said I had a minute left which kept me going, it was actually 90 secs, but I did it.

I'm doing mine on a treadmill which I believe is easier than outside, I do put it on an incline to make a bit harder, but it's convenient on the treadmill as I do it after strength training at the gym, I don't think I would motivate myself as much to go for a run from home

Might have to repeat week 4 as got a busy and stressful week ahead and may not get to the gym, but really want to complete this, never thought I'd get this far
    Originally posted by dawnydee73
    Well done Dawnydee...... I run in a nearby park, which is fine most of the time but occasionally there are a few too many off the lead dogs running about. I tend to be suspicious of dogs most of the time, and during week 2, due to me wearing headphones, I didn't realise a greyhound was running up behind me until it jumped up with both front paws on my back! (Not happy!) It ran iff before i could "remonstrate" with it. Given my age and that I had knee problems fairly recently I don't want to be running on the pavements.

WR
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 20th May 17, 6:19 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A couple of lovely runs fitted in while I was away... up to W5R2 now.
    • greenery
    • By greenery 20th May 17, 8:27 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    greenery

[I]I'm doing mine on a treadmill which I believe is easier than outside,[/I] I do put it on an incline to make a bit harder, but it's convenient on the treadmill as I do it after strength training at the gym, I don't think I would motivate myself as much to go for a run from home

Originally posted by dawnydee73
    I disagree with you here, I find the treadmill MUCH harder than outside running
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 20th May 17, 10:33 PM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 6,062 Thanks
    clairec79
    I've never tried a treadmill but suspect I'd get bored with it being the same, even though I dislike going up a hill I like going down though as all that can go through your mind is where your feet are going to land
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 22nd May 17, 10:21 AM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 15,401 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Week 3 Run 3 done this morning. Surprised at how (comparatively!) easy I found it. Muscles still complaining, but more of a general atmosphere of murmering discontent rather than outright rebellion and a general strike.

WR
    • dawnydee73
    • By dawnydee73 22nd May 17, 10:26 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 4,541 Thanks
    dawnydee73
    I've never tried a treadmill but suspect I'd get bored with it being the same, even though I dislike going up a hill I like going down though as all that can go through your mind is where your feet are going to land
    Originally posted by clairec79
    The treadmill is definitely more boring, it's hard not to look at the timer, hope I will get outside eventually

Think I'll be missing the gym this week, moving house plus working and not enough time. If I don't make it to the gym I'll start again bank holiday Monday so might repeat week 3 to get back into it
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 22nd May 17, 12:47 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    W5R3 done... I won't say I smashed it, but I did it!
    • AlecEiffel
    • By AlecEiffel 22nd May 17, 1:23 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    AlecEiffel
    Well done to everyone doing this! I finished W9 a few weeks ago but not done any running for over two weeks now - a week of long days at work then a week on hol. Getting back on it on weds, prob need to build back up to 30 mins over a couple of weeks.
    • newrunner
    • By newrunner 23rd May 17, 1:31 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    newrunner
    Well - managed w7 runs 2&3 just about - never easy. Was tired this morning but won't get chance again til Saturday which would be nearly a week. So went out but was not very energetic. Also too hot - cloudy but even the breeze was warm. Ran for 15 mins before having to stop.
    But better than nothing.
    Hope it doesn't put me off for next time.
    Don't think I would want to do this on a treadmill. Like the outdoors.

Louise
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 23rd May 17, 3:13 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    W6R1 today - that's the one I did by accident a while back! For some reason it was harder today. Note to self: run before the day warms up.

I wonder if anyone can tell me what we are supposed to do when runs are stated as 'jog for 2 miles (or 20 minutes)'? I do the 20 minutes and I'm sure it's less than 2 miles because I run slowly. I don't know if that's right, though.
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 24th May 17, 11:53 AM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 15,401 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Week 4, Run 1 done this morning. Didn't stop.

This is the bit where someone replies and says "Yes, it was awful but don't worry, the second run will be a piece of cake!"

He said hopefully.........

I expect to stop sweating around 5.00 pm.

WR
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 26th May 17, 11:02 AM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 15,401 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Week 4, Run 2 done this morning. Again, didn't stop. If anything, despite being a warmer day, my recovery seemed a little faster.

It probably also helps that because I am eating more sensibly, in each run there is a little less weight to carry round!

Keep going everyone..... if I can do it....... .

WR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,364Posts Today

8,360Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin