Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 6,778Posts
    • 30,543Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Couch to 5K support thread.
    • 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    Couch to 5K support thread. 4th Sep 16 at 7:27 PM
    I have looked for a similar thread, but they are all over 1 year old, and dead. So i thought I'd start a new one!

I am on a mission to get healthier and fitter.
    In 2010 i gave up smoking, and in Feb 2016 i gave up drinking alcohol. I feel like fitness is my last 'thing'.
    I hate exercise, and am incredibly unfit. I could do with losing 10lbs too.

I am about to start the Couch to 5K programme, does anyone else want to join me? Or has anyone else just started/completed/have experience of doing this?
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Page 24
    • fire-wannabe
    • By fire-wannabe 15th Apr 17, 9:35 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    fire-wannabe
    Sounds good, looking forward to it
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2017 #46 £550/£5380
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 17th Apr 17, 2:40 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    So today should have been W2R2 but I came down with a high temperature/sickness/cold-like symptoms yesterday I haven't left bed for 24 hours so definitely won't be running today. Am pretty frustrated as don't want this to set me back but am just going to have to wait until fully fit again...

I know I'm pretty ill as I haven't touched my Easter egg yet!!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 19th Apr 17, 11:26 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    CattyCat, are you any better? Get yourself well then pick up on the running again, meanwhile enjoy your Easter egg!

As for me, I've started Week 4 with an absolutely gorgeous run while I was away for a few days. Beautiful setting and those five minute runs really aren't scary now. In fact - much to my astonishment - I did the second one on an uphill slope and I was just enjoying the scenery when it suddenly occurred to me a) this is uphill and b) this is a five minute run! And it wasn't a problem at all.

So take heart - it only sounds scary. The program is obviously improving my fitness as I would have struggled with that not so long ago.
    30 days in June...
    NSDs 9/12, Exercise 8/12, Housekeeping £108.57/£120
    • fire-wannabe
    • By fire-wannabe 20th Apr 17, 6:35 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    fire-wannabe
    Welll done, Cherryfudge I'm doing W3R2 today and feeling great about it, I finally realised this is achievable
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 20th Apr 17, 10:52 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Welll done, Cherryfudge I'm doing W3R2 today and feeling great about it, I finally realised this is achievable
    Originally posted by fire-wannabe
    Brilliant, well done you .

Good feeling isn't it?!
    30 days in June...
    • AlecEiffel
    • By AlecEiffel 22nd Apr 17, 9:13 PM
    • 856 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    AlecEiffel
    Managed one run of W9 so far, only did one run of W8 as messed up my back lifting something from my car but as it was only a two minute jump to W9 I did the 30 min run for my next one. Then hurt my back again (not running). So only done two runs in the last two weeks. But back to it tomorrow!!
    • fire-wannabe
    • By fire-wannabe 24th Apr 17, 6:23 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    fire-wannabe
    How inspiring was the marathon yesterday! !! Getting tempted....(not even started W4 yet hahaha)
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 24th Apr 17, 9:00 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Managed one run of W9 so far, only did one run of W8 as messed up my back lifting something from my car but as it was only a two minute jump to W9 I did the 30 min run for my next one. Then hurt my back again (not running). So only done two runs in the last two weeks. But back to it tomorrow!!
    Originally posted by AlecEiffel
    Look after that back! Gosh, W9... that's still far over the horizon for me.

I was going to do W4R3 today but it's bucketing down and I'm still a fair weather runner.
    30 days in June...
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 25th Apr 17, 12:07 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    CattyCat, are you any better? Get yourself well then pick up on the running again, meanwhile enjoy your Easter egg!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Thanks Cerryfudge! Gosh, the flu got me for the whole week... Watched lots of TV and felt very sorry for myself! I finally started feeling better yesterday and feel back to normal today so am currently having my Easter egg

Going to attempt to W2 either this evening or tomorrow morning, depending on how I feel. Very frustrated to have been unwell for quite so long and am wary of turning back into a couch potato. Oh well, will let you know how I get on with getting back into it!!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 25th Apr 17, 12:36 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Thanks Cerryfudge! Gosh, the flu got me for the whole week... Watched lots of TV and felt very sorry for myself! I finally started feeling better yesterday and feel back to normal today so am currently having my Easter egg

Going to attempt to W2 either this evening or tomorrow morning, depending on how I feel. Very frustrated to have been unwell for quite so long and am wary of turning back into a couch potato. Oh well, will let you know how I get on with getting back into it!!
    Originally posted by CattyCatX
    Good to see you are well enough for an Easter egg - always a good sign. Take it easy getting back into running, you won't have forgotten everything but your body's been working hard already to recover and might do a double-take if starting back where you left off. Hope the weather is kind to you - it's windy and cold here.
    30 days in June...
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 25th Apr 17, 12:38 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    W4R3 done.

I am so pleased I didn't back out: it was a bit tempting as it's cold - snow further inland - and windy, but I told myself I'm tough. I was more tired than I expected to be but I was running into the wind and partly uphill, so I'm trying to convince myself I'm fit enough to move up to W5 next time.
    30 days in June...
    • AlecEiffel
    • By AlecEiffel 25th Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    • 856 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    AlecEiffel
    W4R3 done.

I am so pleased I didn't back out: it was a bit tempting as it's cold - snow further inland - and windy, but I told myself I'm tough. I was more tired than I expected to be but I was running into the wind and partly uphill, so I'm trying to convince myself I'm fit enough to move up to W5 next time.
    Well done!! No matter how much I've dreaded doing any given run I'm always really pleased when I have done them too. Each week is a prep for the onwards and upwards of the next - I'm sure you'll ace W5.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 25th Apr 17, 9:06 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well done!! No matter how much I've dreaded doing any given run I'm always really pleased when I have done them too. Each week is a prep for the onwards and upwards of the next - I'm sure you'll ace W5.
    Originally posted by AlecEiffel
    Thank you Alec.

I'm doubly glad I ran earlier as it's since both snowed and rained!
    30 days in June...
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 27th Apr 17, 10:30 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    W5R1 today - three lots of five minutes is definitely harder than interspersing some three-minute runs!

How's everyone else doing?
    30 days in June...
    • WatsonNimrod
    • By WatsonNimrod 28th Apr 17, 7:05 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    WatsonNimrod
    Made a start a few weeks back but had to give up due to shin splints, although I generally walk 5-7k per day the 'fitted' trainers I bought seem to be what was giving me grief so went back to my £5 charity shop asics and all is good again!

So that's me completed week 1, first 2 runs I did on the treadmill and now persuaded myself to do run outside which I have to say was much harder for some reason!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 28th Apr 17, 9:16 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Good for you, getting back to it!

I haven't been on the treadmill so all my runs are outside (it's free and gives me Vitamin D ) but I find for some reason it's always windy, I mean always, and there are lots of uphill slopes that aren't there when I walk! I count those as extras that make me fitter.
    30 days in June...
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 28th Apr 17, 11:31 AM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 15,187 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Good for you, getting back to it!

I haven't been on the treadmill so all my runs are outside (it's free and gives me Vitamin D ) but I find for some reason it's always windy, I mean always, and there are lots of uphill slopes that aren't there when I walk! I count those as extras that make me fitter.
    Keep going outside over those hills
    You will find that they flatten out over time and also how much easier it becomes running into the wind.

As with everything else practice makes it easier.

Agree with the Vit D ... we don't get enough of it as it is!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • greent
    • By greent 29th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 59,956 Thanks
    greent
    Wow - lots of chat going on on here - and lots of fab progress too! I didn't touch c25k at all for the past few weeks - when I needed an inhaler just to get up to flights of stairs I figured that running wasn't a good idea! Am feeling much better now and am restarting from scratch this week - did a brisk walk today to get my head vaguely in the space and will start on BH Mon - and am hoping the foul weather we had around the country this week has now well and truly gone!!
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3490/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £753.38/£500 PAYDOX17 £10335/£10k Decluttered 10/2017 items
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 29th Apr 17, 11:05 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Good to have you back greent, may BH Monday dawn fine and fair for you!

I've just seen your MF signature - wow! Did you have a diary on here? (Linkie please? ) I'm a MF wannabe and it's inspiring to see people actually get there. I bet it feels very satisfying!

No run for me yesterday or today though I've walked a fair bit.
    30 days in June...
    • fire-wannabe
    • By fire-wannabe 1st May 17, 6:51 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    fire-wannabe
    W4 started well but struggled with the last 5 mins runs in R2 and R3.....think I will have to repeat this week before moving on.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

807Posts Today

6,888Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin