Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 7,169Posts
    • 28,369Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Couch to 5K support thread.
    • 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    Couch to 5K support thread. 4th Sep 16 at 7:27 PM
    I have looked for a similar thread, but they are all over 1 year old, and dead. So i thought I'd start a new one!

I am on a mission to get healthier and fitter.
    In 2010 i gave up smoking, and in Feb 2016 i gave up drinking alcohol. I feel like fitness is my last 'thing'.
    I hate exercise, and am incredibly unfit. I could do with losing 10lbs too.

I am about to start the Couch to 5K programme, does anyone else want to join me? Or has anyone else just started/completed/have experience of doing this?
    #20- 3/6 month emergency fund challenge.

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794
Page 12
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 22nd Sep 16, 2:31 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 12,122 Thanks
    indesisiv
    at least t I will lose a few lbs first time as no need for clothes when weighing at home
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    I did that last week. I took my big heavy shoes off, phone and keys out of my pocket. It actually put me in the BMI of healthy for the first time in years.
    Couldn't lose the jeans etc as I was at someone elses house though.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • i.love.baking
    • By i.love.baking 22nd Sep 16, 6:08 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    i.love.baking
    wahooo! completed week 3! Decided I would do the last day rather than miss it and move on but to push myself, I thought it would give me more of a confidence boost. Don't know what came over me at the end but decided that I would keep going after the end of the final 3 minute run to see how far I could go and I ended up doing 5 minutes in one go super proud! At least I know now that I can do 5 minutes straight! roll on week 4 can't wait!
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 22nd Sep 16, 6:25 PM
    • 7,169 Posts
    • 28,369 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Yes I am writing them down in my notebook that I record my runs in so I can look back.

My, running book has spaces for checking every week up to 10 weeks and then monthly, personally I think that's a bit too much and will do monthly. I might start weighing myself every week if I get some scales, at least t I will lose a few lbs first time as no need for clothes when weighing at home
    I am not sure whether to weigh weekly or monthly. I only have about 10lbs to lose, so i dont expect to see big changes really.

wahooo! completed week 3! Decided I would do the last day rather than miss it and move on but to push myself, I thought it would give me more of a confidence boost. Don't know what came over me at the end but decided that I would keep going after the end of the final 3 minute run to see how far I could go and I ended up doing 5 minutes in one go super proud! At least I know now that I can do 5 minutes straight! roll on week 4 can't wait!
    Originally posted by i.love.baking
    Well done, you must be so pleased!!

• iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 22nd Sep 16, 7:07 PM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 6,880 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    well done Ilovebaking good idea to test yourself ready for the following week, I might try that.

I went swimming was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it, there were only two others in the pool (apart from the bit sectioned off for lessons) it was great. Unfortunately I could only do breast stroke I would have loved to swim front crawl but my goggles don't work (they leak badly) I am so annoyed its not as simple as getting another pair as they cost over £30! Don't think I can return as I have had them for a while,
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 22-09-2016 at 10:51 PM.
    • Fletchasketch
    • By Fletchasketch 22nd Sep 16, 10:48 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Fletchasketch
    Originally posted by i.love.baking
    Fantastic achievement, well done. My excuse for not running tonight was going to meet my 3 day old nephew; definitely beats running but do feel like I need to go running. 25 minutes non-stop next time, eek!
    Debt @0% Jan '16; £9162, Jun '16 £5845, Jul '16 £3824, Aug '16 £3105
    #C25K Week 6, run 3.
    Student loan finally cleared!
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 23rd Sep 16, 12:23 PM
    • 7,169 Posts
    • 28,369 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Week 2 finished!!

Oh wow, i found that really hard going today. So much so that i am thinking i am going to repeat week 2 again next week. My legs are always fine, it's my lungs, i just cant get my breath.

Maybe i need to look into breathing techniques while running? Do any experienced runners have any tips?

I did my RHR and weight today. Didn't do the fat % though...a bit too scared to see that
    I'll do it tomorrow instead.

Now to have a nice healthy lunch

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 23rd Sep 16, 12:32 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 12,122 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Week 2 finished!!

Oh wow, i found that really hard going today. So much so that i am thinking i am going to repeat week 2 again next week. My legs are always fine, it's my lungs, i just cant get my breath.
    Originally posted by WantToBeSE
    I find that it is not so much that you can't get your breath but that you can't expel the CO2.
    Try putting in a couple of full exhales every now and again when you are struggling. This is where you breathe out as hard and fully as you can for a couple of breaths. Helps to clear the CO2 buildup when your breathing gets too fast and too shallow.

Also try and get into a rhythm with breathing. For instance I have a 4 step count where I breath in, in, out, out over the course of the 4 steps.

One more thing, try to do less chest breathing and more "belly" breathing. You can also google some diaphragm exercises possibly to help.

PS well done on completing your week
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 23rd Sep 16, 1:28 PM
    • 7,169 Posts
    • 28,369 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    I find that it is not so much that you can't get your breath but that you can't expel the CO2.
    Try putting in a couple of full exhales every now and again when you are struggling. This is where you breathe out as hard and fully as you can for a couple of breaths. Helps to clear the CO2 buildup when your breathing gets too fast and too shallow.

Also try and get into a rhythm with breathing. For instance I have a 4 step count where I breath in, in, out, out over the course of the 4 steps.

One more thing, try to do less chest breathing and more "belly" breathing. You can also google some diaphragm exercises possibly to help.

PS well done on completing your week
    Originally posted by indesisiv

Thanks Indesisive.

I'll definitely try the full exhale thing, i hope it works because i dont have a problem with my legs at all, it's the breathing that is a problem.

Thanks for the tip

I also go INCREDIBLY red in the face. I don't mean quite red, i mean scarlett red, it's so embarrassing!

• Fletchasketch
    • By Fletchasketch 23rd Sep 16, 1:37 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Fletchasketch
    For the breathing part, I found that the breathing I'd done at yoga really helped, as in REALLY deeply and slowly. I do this when I feel like giving up and it really helps.
    Debt @0% Jan '16; £9162, Jun '16 £5845, Jul '16 £3824, Aug '16 £3105
    #C25K Week 6, run 3.
    Student loan finally cleared!
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 23rd Sep 16, 1:39 PM
    • 7,169 Posts
    • 28,369 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Hmm, maybe i am doing something wrong, but i cannot breathe slowly when running, i am constantly inhaling...
    I think it may just be a sign that i am VERY unfit

• MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 23rd Sep 16, 1:50 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 3,356 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I also go INCREDIBLY red in the face. I don't mean quite red, i mean scarlett red, it's so embarrassing!
    Me too and it can take an hour to start looking halfway normal again
    OneAccount flexible mortgage due to be repaid Nov 2025
    Current o/s amount - £30k @ 3.9% 5% LTV
    £37k stoozed on 0% cards till '18 / '19
    MF Target date - Jan '17 (we will be 49)
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 23rd Sep 16, 2:25 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 12,122 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Hmm, maybe i am doing something wrong, but i cannot breathe slowly when running, i am constantly inhaling...
    I think it may just be a sign that i am VERY unfit
    The problem is when you breath really fast you are not solving the problem. When you breathe fast you end up breathing shallow which doesn't clear the CO2 efficiently.
    The problem isn't so much that your lungs can't get enough oxygen but rather cant get rid of the CO2. Its counter to what people seem to want to do.

A couple of deep exhales will do wonders for you.
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 23rd Sep 16, 2:28 PM
    • 7,169 Posts
    • 28,369 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Me too and it can take an hour to start looking halfway normal again
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    OMG, Yes!! I am so like that! I get home, have a shower, have something to eat, browse online, do the housework...and I'm still beetroot red!

The problem is when you breath really fast you are not solving the problem. When you breathe fast you end up breathing shallow which doesn't clear the CO2 efficiently.
    The problem isn't so much that your lungs can't get enough oxygen but rather cant get rid of the CO2. Its counter to what people seem to want to do.

A couple of deep exhales will do wonders for you.
    Definitely going to try this, thanks! Would it have the same effect if i did them during the easier part (the walking for 2 mins)?

• indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 23rd Sep 16, 2:48 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 12,122 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Definitely going to try this, thanks! Would it have the same effect if i did them during the easier part (the walking for 2 mins)?
    Whilst it would help with recovery, if your problem is breathing whilst doing the running then this is where you need to do it
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 23rd Sep 16, 3:49 PM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 6,880 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    week 2 complete

I followed the podcast then carried on with a mix of running/walking until I covered 5K. I did it in 40minutes. I will attempt the same again in three weeks to see if there is an improvement.

breathing - I have tried what indesisiv suggests, I think Laura mentions it,. I don't know why but I find it difficult, I can't seem to concentrate on breathing and counting steps at the same time Instead every now and again, normally when I want to give up I concentrate on breathing slowly in through the nose and slowly out the mouth, this focuses my mind on something to stop me giving in when it gets tough.

It don't have a problem with my breathing its my legs that I struggle with I get to the stage I just can't lift them any longer. I always have to be awkward different We need to swap tips, how do you keep your legs going?

well done wanttobese and anyone else running today. I am not looking forward to next week its a big jump again but last week the plan made it achievable so I will just have to trust it.
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 23-09-2016 at 3:51 PM.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 23rd Sep 16, 4:59 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 3,356 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    40 mins for 5k seems pretty darn good to me. My ParkRun times for the 2 I have done so far were 37mins and 34:24 and there was no walking in that at all - it does show how slowly I run!!
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 23rd Sep 16, 7:08 PM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 6,880 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    40 mins for 5k seems pretty darn good to me. My ParkRun times for the 2 I have done so far were 37mins and 34:24 and there was no walking in that at all - it does show how slowly I run!!
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    I would like to do a measured run, the distance was measured by my phone app which is just approximate and I am sure it works heavily in my favour. I don't run very quick but I can walk fast.

I am not ready for parkrun and its going to be difficult to arrange as I can't see me getting many volunteers to look after my son on a Saturday morning when I need to drop him off before 8. Of course in an emergency I would have lots of offers to help but just so I can take part in a run I don't like to ask, its a bit of a cheek.
    • Elfbert
    • By Elfbert 23rd Sep 16, 7:34 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    Elfbert
    Some Parkruns have lots of kids running too - if you think he might like it!

Well done everyone for your runs.

I find really blowing my breath out definitely helps. I have had quite a few lung problems in the past, and find it easy to breath fast and shallow, so I really concentrate on breathing into my belly and blowing it out - I sort of puff out my lips so I can really feel myself exhaling. It's always hard to start new habits, though!
    Mortgage - £68,000 may 2014 46,800.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 23rd Sep 16, 8:01 PM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 6,880 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Some Parkruns have lots of kids running too - if you think he might like it!
    Originally posted by Elfbert
    He would like it but I have looked and unfortunately my local one does not allow under 11's, shame but I can understand why, people are there to run and not to worry about stray kids messing about.
    • i.love.baking
    • By i.love.baking 24th Sep 16, 9:53 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    i.love.baking
    Week 2 finished!!
    Well done, fantastic acheivement!!

Great tips on breathing, thanks! I always assumed it was not getting enough oxygen, didn't know it was the other way round. Will be doing more long exhales during my runs from now on.
    Belly breathing is definitely the way to do it- when you breathe in your belly should go out and when you breathe out your belly should suck in and almost suck up. Practicing good breathing when not exercising might help make it more natural when you are running.

week 2 complete

I followed the podcast then carried on with a mix of running/walking until I covered 5K. I did it in 40minutes. I will attempt the same again in three weeks to see if there is an improvement.

well done wanttobese and anyone else running today. I am not looking forward to next week its a big jump again but last week the plan made it achievable so I will just have to trust it.
    Well done! that's really great that you managed to keep going at the end too! honestly and truely I think the jump seems worse, once you've done it it's not as bad as you think it will be. Plus you get plenty of recovery time, I think it's 3 minutes walk after the 3 minute runs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

5,927Users online

Martin's Twitter