Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 7,165Posts
    • 28,339Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Couch to 5K support thread.
    • 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    Couch to 5K support thread. 4th Sep 16 at 7:27 PM
    I have looked for a similar thread, but they are all over 1 year old, and dead. So i thought I'd start a new one!

I am on a mission to get healthier and fitter.
    In 2010 i gave up smoking, and in Feb 2016 i gave up drinking alcohol. I feel like fitness is my last 'thing'.
    I hate exercise, and am incredibly unfit. I could do with losing 10lbs too.

I am about to start the Couch to 5K programme, does anyone else want to join me? Or has anyone else just started/completed/have experience of doing this?
    #20- 3/6 month emergency fund challenge.

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794
Page 11
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 21st Sep 16, 3:13 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 3,327 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am not doing the C25k any more (did it 5 years ago then stopped running and picked it up again recently) but I found it better to track in k as that is how everyone talks these days. Parkrun is a 5k and people talk about their pace for 5k.
    You are all doing great and there is no shame in redoing a week if you don't feel ready for the next step yet - you are still getting out there and doing something.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 21st Sep 16, 3:22 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 12,108 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I must admit that I track every thing in miles and mins/mile for pace. So a 5k would be 3.1 miles at about 6:30 per min pace.

My mate only deals in km's and in mins/km so we do find it very hard to compare paces lol. Once I get more experienced I will move on to km's I think.

It is quite nice in races when you run something like a 10k the km markers fly past compared to running a half marathon where it is in miles.
    The problem is that this year I have raced, 5k, 10k, 15k, third marathon, 10 miles, half marathon. So quite a mix of races with mile and km markers depending.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 21st Sep 16, 4:46 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I am not doing the C25k any more (did it 5 years ago then stopped running and picked it up again recently)
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Sounds similar to my situation, trying to pick it back up again but its not easy

How did you re-start after such a long break?
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 21st Sep 16, 6:01 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 3,327 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    not very scientific - I just went out and 'ran' about 3k then tried to increase up to 5k gradually. Then summer holidays hit and I stopped - again.

I saw a FB ad for a free 6 week program to improve your ParkRun Personal Best and thought the required commitment was a good thing. We had to do a PR to record our baseline - mine was 37 mins. Then there is a weekly session aimed at improving running and they also would like you to do 1 bootcamp but I am struggling with the times for the sessions. I did 6:30am on Monday but by the time I had got home and then walked the dogs I ended up starting late for work
    I did PR again last week - 34:24 so quite an improvement after a week - and will try and keep that up. I gave my target as 33mins but that was on day 1, really I would like to get under 30mins but I think that will take more than 6 weeks!
    I am 49 so this is part of 'Operation Fit Before Fifty'.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 21st Sep 16, 6:08 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    not very scientific - I just went out and 'ran' about 3k then tried to increase up to 5k gradually. Then summer holidays hit and I stopped - again.
    This is why I think I am best to stick at C25K I like the structure and being told what to do, rather than having to calculate it yourself.

We had to do a PR to record our baseline - mine was 37 mins.
    I did PR again last week - 34:24 so quite an improvement after a week - and will try and keep that up. I gave my target as 33mins but that was on day 1, really I would like to get under 30mins but I think that will take more than 6 weeks!
    Well done those are good times. I really want to hit under 30mins but have to be realistic it will take longer than the 6 weeks to achieve this, but I am determined to get there.

I am 49 so this is part of 'Operation Fit Before Fifty'.
    Not quite there yet but I am past 40 and my ultimate aim is to keep going so I keep fit as I approach that milestone.
    • i.love.baking
    • By i.love.baking 21st Sep 16, 6:15 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    i.love.baking
    I'm back out again in the morning, hopefully it will be a good one! I think it's going to start to get hard from now on as the sun is only just peeping up when I'm leaving, very soon it's going to be semi-dark I like winter, but it's the constant darkness that gets to me!

What a rebel

I did consider the same, I am on week 2 but instead decided on the next run I will just push myself harder (whilst keeping to the run/walk schedule). I am keen to see how I can do.

If the last run is just the same as the other two and you feel fine I don't see why you shouldn't miss one out, its no different to the other way round, if you have found it hard suggestion is to repeat a run before moving on.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Haha, I'm a rebel at heart, I don't like being told what to do! but also pushing myself a bit harder on the last day to go further might also be a good plan to try and build up a bit of speed and stamina that way.

I moved on to week 3 today! I wasn't going to, but then had a good day at work and felt like I had the legs for it 3 mins was hard, but I did it all and felt very good about it afterward. It is great to see/feel the improvement
    Originally posted by Elfbert
    well done getting to week 3! I definately think the step up feels harder than the reality of running for 3 minutes. just have to remember that good feeling after getting through it for when you find it hard again!

Oh.....i am not feeling well Dodgy tummy

What should i do if i still feel poorly tomorrow? I cant imagine running with a dodgy tummy
    Originally posted by WantToBeSE
    Hope you're feeling better!

Well done to everyone who has been out today! each run is one step closer to running for 30 minutes at a time
    as the saying goes, no matter how slow we are going we're still lapping everyone on the couch- slight paraphrase!
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 21st Sep 16, 6:29 PM
    • 7,165 Posts
    • 28,339 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Thanks i.love.baking. I am feeling lots better today

I agree about the dark mornings making it harder to get up and out the door. I only do it because i have to, i have to get up at 6am to get the boys to school.

I miss the summer mornings!

• i.love.baking
    • By i.love.baking 21st Sep 16, 7:16 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    i.love.baking
    Thanks i.love.baking. I am feeling lots better today

I agree about the dark mornings making it harder to get up and out the door. I only do it because i have to, i have to get up at 6am to get the boys to school.

I miss the summer mornings!
    Glad you're feeling better- it's definitely getting to that time of year where all the bugs come out of hiding! especially as I'm a teaching assistant, we get all the germs. I think the first year I worked in a school I got everything! think I'm fairly immune to most things now!!
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 21st Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 7,165 Posts
    • 28,339 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Glad you're feeling better- it's definitely getting to that time of year where all the bugs come out of hiding! especially as I'm a teaching assistant, we get all the germs. I think the first year I worked in a school I got everything! think I'm fairly immune to most things now!!
    Originally posted by i.love.baking
    Yes definitely! I bet you have an iron cast stomach and an immune system to beat the best of them!
    Mine are now in Secondary school, so not quite as bad as when they were younger, but still.

• iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 21st Sep 16, 7:38 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    As promised my book recommends you should measure the following

Resting heart rate (done I downloaded a free app)
    Measurements Chest / waist / Hips / Thigh / Arm (done some but not all) - it also advises what part to measure I can post this if anyone wants to know.
    Weight (done)
    BMI (done - goggle how to work out)
    Body Fat percentage (unable to do this as I don't have a machine for it)
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 21st Sep 16, 7:53 PM
    • 7,165 Posts
    • 28,339 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Thanks iammumtoone, that is really helpful. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to write out at which points to measure, or maybe i can just Google it actually.

• WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 21st Sep 16, 8:05 PM
    • 7,165 Posts
    • 28,339 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    I've just downloaded an app that measures your resting heart rate, measured my BMI and Weight.

Need to do body fat %...I'll do that in the morning, along with measurements

• iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 21st Sep 16, 8:05 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Thats fine just didn't want to bombard people with stuff they didn't want to know, here goes...

Chest - Place the tape measure around your chest so it runs across your nipples.

Waist - Place the tape measure around your waist so it runs across your tummy button.

Hips - Place the tape measure around your hips at the widest point

Thigh - Place the tape measure around your leg at the highest part of your thigh where it meets your groin.

Upper Arm - Place the tape measure around your upper arm so it touches the highest part of your arm pit.

It makes sense to follow the above as its makes sure you measure in the same place each time. I need to re-measure myself as I just wrapped the measure around my waist not taking any notice which part I was measuring (this was before I got to this part in the book)
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 21st Sep 16, 8:10 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I've just downloaded an app that measures your resting heart rate, measured my BMI and Weight.

Need to do body fat %...I'll do that in the morning, along with measurements
    Ideally you need to take resting heart rate before you get out of bed.

How will you do body fat? do you have scales that measure it? I was thinking of getting one of those hand held devices, think you can pick those up reasonably. I won't have scales in the house, I did my weight at a shop with son thinking it really funny to shout out the results in the middle of the supermarket
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 21st Sep 16, 8:25 PM
    • 7,165 Posts
    • 28,339 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Ah, OK. In that case I'll redo the RHR in the morning, as well as do my measurements.

Yes, my scales do body fat % as well as weight, water % etc

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2989208.htm

• WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 21st Sep 16, 8:37 PM
    • 7,165 Posts
    • 28,339 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Ideally you need to take resting heart rate before you get out of bed.

How will you do body fat? do you have scales that measure it? I was thinking of getting one of those hand held devices, think you can pick those up reasonably. I won't have scales in the house, I did my weight at a shop with son thinking it really funny to shout out the results in the middle of the supermarket
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    I would have bl00dy murdered him, Maybe do it alone next time?

• iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 21st Sep 16, 10:42 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I would have bl00dy murdered him, Maybe do it alone next time?
    I did get some understanding, sympathetic looks from passers by.

At 50p a time perhaps it would be wise to get some scales (I just don't like the temptation to weight myself too often) but at least I could measure my body fat as well.
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 22nd Sep 16, 8:59 AM
    • 7,165 Posts
    • 28,339 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Yeah i think thats a good idea iammumtoone, plus you dont have to go out to get weighed.

I forgot to take my RHR this morning, but I'll do the measurements in a bit.

Are you writing them down? How often are you planning on taking measurements? I am thinking once a month. But i'll weigh weekly.

• WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 22nd Sep 16, 9:00 AM
    • 7,165 Posts
    • 28,339 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Oh, and good luck to anyone running today!

• iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 22nd Sep 16, 2:25 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Are you writing them down? How often are you planning on taking measurements? I am thinking once a month. But i'll weigh weekly.
    Yes I am writing them down in my notebook that I record my runs in so I can look back.

My, running book has spaces for checking every week up to 10 weeks and then monthly, personally I think that's a bit too much and will do monthly. I might start weighing myself every week if I get some scales, at least t I will lose a few lbs first time as no need for clothes when weighing at home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,839Posts Today

7,661Users online

Martin's Twitter