Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ianwzzz
    • By Ianwzzz 4th Sep 16, 4:25 PM
    • 234Posts
    • 85Thanks
    Ianwzzz
    Dash Cam !
    • 4th Sep 16, 4:25 PM
    Dash Cam ! 4th Sep 16 at 4:25 PM
    I would like to purchase a good quality dash cam and have the lead fitted so it's hidden. Could anybody recommend a good quality cam with a lead that's long enough to run it around the roof lining, down the side and through to a power supply behind the dash board.

Thanks"
Page 2
    • Double V
    • By Double V 6th Sep 16, 9:06 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    Double V
    I am using BlackVue DR650GW (2 channel), front and back.
    All recordings are in HD with GPS location etc. Also camera looks more stylish and slick.
    Comes with a power magic, meaning in a constant parking mode recording if the battery drops to a certain threshold it will turn it off so the battery doesn't drain.
    Or can be set to record when you start the car, I have both ways.

Plus you cannot see any cables. Looks like a factory fitted camera.

If you want I can show you the sample video off my car.

• ninja2302
    • By ninja2302 6th Sep 16, 12:30 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ninja2302
    Here is a range of dashcam reviews:
    https://trustedcarproducts.co.uk/reviews/dashcams

Personally I have the Nextbase 312GW Dashcam - it's been very good but a bit pricey. I managed to get it on offer at Halfords.
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 6th Sep 16, 3:27 PM
    • 6,853 Posts
    • 7,562 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    Op, ignore that sticky about dash cams, it's 2 years since anyone posted on it so its all old hat and should be deleted/replaced with more up to date info.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • missile
    • By missile 7th Sep 16, 5:11 PM
    • 8,317 Posts
    • 3,947 Thanks
    missile
    There are several dash cam forums, I found some very useful information here > https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    • 26,058 Posts
    • 12,527 Thanks
    Cardew
    There are several dash cam forums, I found some very useful information here > https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/
    Originally posted by missile
    This a USA forum.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 16th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    This a USA forum.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    You know, in a madcap scheme intended to make money, the manufacturers decided to sell their dash cams in a number of countries, including, almost unbelievably, the good ol' US of A.
    • gabitzul
    • By gabitzul 17th Oct 16, 12:24 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    gabitzul
    I have two Rexing V1 dashcams in each of the cars. I would consider them midrange and I am happy with the quality.

You can find them on Amazon.
    • benten69
    • By benten69 17th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    benten69
    Blackvue....thread closed
    SPC9 #408 - £200.39 | SPC10 #408 - £95.69
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 53% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | Oct '16: £157,050.37

• straighttalker
    • By straighttalker 17th Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    straighttalker
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_17?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=12+volt+extension+lead&sprefix=12+volt+ex tension%2Caps%2C234

Most dash cams will have a power lead long enough to reach the back of the dash. Mine reaches under the passenger seat and around the windscreen. I then used an extension to get to a power socket reserved for back seat passengers.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 21st Oct 16, 10:31 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    JP1978
    Two reccomondations:

DDPai M6 Plus (as seen on Techmoans site and youtube channel) - I have one on the windscreen. Most newer dashcams, this been no exception record in HD at 1080 and so even the largest microSD cards will only take a few hours before been overwritten. This cam has wifi and a decent companion app (android and iOS) so you can download the clips on the fly. Also has a remote button that will take a snap and save the previous 11 seconds of video. Next time you connect your phone to it, the clip will download automatically to your phone. Quality is decent and exposure etc on the recordings is good too. Can also use the phone to 'view' the footage or view 'live' - useful for setting the angle of the cam up.

E-Prance Mini 0805 - This was on the dash but is now on the rear screen facing out. Another good cam, never had issues with it, has a small screen, has decent reviews on techmoan etc (or at least its older brothers do). Small and discrete.

Both cams:
    Micro USB 5V powered which connects to the mount. The cameras are easily removed for security if needed.
    Both have a parking mode if you had a battery back up (they would run the battery down if left on the car battery).
    Both power on/off upon ignition
    • kirkofski
    • By kirkofski 22nd Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    kirkofski
    This a USA forum.
    Originally posted by Cardew

Its actually a Canadian site not that it makes any difference, Most of the cameras available in the UK are made in the far east.

I've been posting on that forum for almost 3 years and I've had plenty of useful advice from all over the world, including from the manufacturers of the camera I own who are based China.
    Last edited by kirkofski; 22-10-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 22nd Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Just buy an extended lead and get someone to fit it.

I have the mobius sat just behind my rear view mirror and bought a 5m USB cable which I ran up the mirror "stalk", into the lining of the roof, along and down the door seal, under the seat and into a USB dual port job in the cigarette lighter, all hidden except the bit under the seat and where I ran it around the centre console into the box under the arm rest
    • CHR15
    • By CHR15 22nd Oct 16, 12:03 PM
    • 4,805 Posts
    • 4,138 Thanks
    CHR15
    Two reccomondations:

DDPai M6 Plus
    Originally posted by JP1978
    Thanks for this, I have been looking for something to replace my Mobius with something equally discreet with WiFi.
    I'm really not a fan of most Dashcams which look like a mobile phone stuck on the windscreen, I want a fit and forget camera which is hardly noticeable from the outside.
    The Mobius has been great but a faff to unscrew it and take it indoors to get the files off.
    The only hassle now is that my hidden cable has a mini USB for the Mobius but will need changing for a micro (unless I just get an adaptor).
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 22nd Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Thanks for this, I have been looking for something to replace my Mobius with something equally discreet with WiFi.
    I'm really not a fan of most Dashcams which look like a mobile phone stuck on the windscreen, I want a fit and forget camera which is hardly noticeable from the outside.
    The Mobius has been great but a faff to unscrew it and take it indoors to get the files off.
    The only hassle now is that my hidden cable has a mini USB for the Mobius but will need changing for a micro (unless I just get an adaptor).
    Originally posted by CHR15
    The mobius has an SD card slot, you just need to take the card out and put in the PC (reader can be had for a couple of quid if needs be)

A mini to micro adapter can be had for a couple of quid as well though get a decent quality one
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,628Posts Today

7,389Users online

Martin's Twitter