Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 2nd Sep 16, 11:52 AM
    • 10,311Posts
    • 18,555Thanks
    worldtraveller
    EDIT 11th October: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners now told to turn off device
    • 2nd Sep 16, 11:52 AM
    EDIT 11th October: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners now told to turn off device 2nd Sep 16 at 11:52 AM
    Samsung Electronics is recalling its flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphone and said that battery problems were behind phones catching fire.

The decision follows reports in the US and South Korea of the phone "exploding" during or after charging.

The South Korean company said customers who had already bought the phone would be able to swap it for a new one.

People who have already bought the device - which is only available to pre-order in the UK - will be issued with a replacement.

BBC News

Update 2 September 2016: The Note 7 should have gone on sale today, but Samsung has had to stop sales and offer to replace handsets that are already with customers following an issue being found with its battery cells. According to an official statement from Samsung, "there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note 7." A company statement on the Samsung Korea site appears to suggest this delay will push back the on sale date by a couple of weeks.

EDIT 11TH OCTOBER
    "We are working with relevant regulatory bodies to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note7. Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 while the investigation is taking place.

We remain committed to working diligently with appropriate regulatory authorities to take all necessary steps to resolve the situation. Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note7 or replacement Galaxy Note7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available."

Samsung Newsroom
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 11-10-2016 at 11:50 AM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
Page 2
    • d123
    • By d123 11th Oct 16, 2:04 PM
    • 5,784 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    d123
    I believe that Samsung were well aware of overheating problems on NOTE phones for years
    My NOTE 1 (GT-N7000) from 2011 overheated - the camera lens used to get red hot - even when not using the camera - I returned the phone to Tmobile, twice for replacement and both times - they claimed that nothing was wrong with the device - but replaced it anyway (replacement was exactly the same)
    Eventually, after almost 2 years - I took the phone back to the EE shop (Tmobile had changed in the interim) - and got a refund......
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    This has got nothing to do with overheating in the way you are describing.

The Note 7 has a design fault that causes damage to the battery which results in thermal runaway of the battery.

Unbelievably Samsung made the compartment for the battery too small for the battery they designed to fit into it...

Samsung told regulators the phone’s battery was slightly too big for its compartment and the tight space pinched the battery, causing it to short circuit, Kaye said.

A comprehensive report hasn’t yet been released on the battery issue. Samsung previously told a Korean government agency that there was an error in production that pressured the plates within the battery cells and brought opposing poles into contact, which triggered the excessive heat. The company sent a separate report to China’s inspection agency asserting that the problem came from separators sitting between the electrodes that could thin out and cause short-circuiting.

“The dimensions of the materials they put into the pouch were a little bigger than the pouch itself,” Kaye said. “By putting that all together and squeezing it into the compartment, it caused some pinching.”

That has, in turn, led to short circuits within the batteries. In some cases, it prompted a phenomenon known as “thermal runway,” in which the battery creates so much heat that it ultimately burns or explodes, he said.
    http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?docId=1376-ODJPO96VDKHV01-3EQI3MJ68LK6GV47LGE6CD0OK9
    Dave
    ====
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 11th Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    • 6,647 Posts
    • 11,418 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    This will be good news for Apple and possibly Google with their new Pixel models.
    It is nexuses not nexi, dummy. And it's between you and me, not you and I.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 11th Oct 16, 6:25 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    20aday
    This will be good news for Apple and possibly Google with their new Pixel models.
    Originally posted by Dreamnine
    Out of the two I think Google will be the winners of the Note 7 recall.

And that's coming from someone who owns an iPhone 7.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 15th Oct 16, 8:02 AM
    • 10,311 Posts
    • 18,555 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    U.S. Dept or Transportation bans Galaxy Note 7 on flights to, from, or within USA
    The U.S. Department of Transportation has now banned taking the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 on all flights to, from, or within the USA, effective at 16:00 GMT today. That includes in any checked or carry on baggage.

U.S. Department of Transportation
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 15-10-2016 at 9:56 AM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

272Posts Today

2,299Users online

Martin's Twitter