Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 2nd Sep 16, 11:52 AM
    • 10,317Posts
    • 18,564Thanks
    worldtraveller
    EDIT 11th October: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners now told to turn off device
    • 2nd Sep 16, 11:52 AM
    EDIT 11th October: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners now told to turn off device 2nd Sep 16 at 11:52 AM
    Samsung Electronics is recalling its flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphone and said that battery problems were behind phones catching fire.

The decision follows reports in the US and South Korea of the phone "exploding" during or after charging.

The South Korean company said customers who had already bought the phone would be able to swap it for a new one.

People who have already bought the device - which is only available to pre-order in the UK - will be issued with a replacement.

BBC News

Update 2 September 2016: The Note 7 should have gone on sale today, but Samsung has had to stop sales and offer to replace handsets that are already with customers following an issue being found with its battery cells. According to an official statement from Samsung, "there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note 7." A company statement on the Samsung Korea site appears to suggest this delay will push back the on sale date by a couple of weeks.

EDIT 11TH OCTOBER
    "We are working with relevant regulatory bodies to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note7. Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 while the investigation is taking place.

We remain committed to working diligently with appropriate regulatory authorities to take all necessary steps to resolve the situation. Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note7 or replacement Galaxy Note7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available."

Samsung Newsroom
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 11-10-2016 at 11:50 AM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 2nd Sep 16, 1:19 PM
    • 8,844 Posts
    • 3,577 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 2nd Sep 16, 1:19 PM
    • 2nd Sep 16, 1:19 PM
    Not picked this up as a problem on the forums .I see its a total of 35 against 3 million sold so far .
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 2nd Sep 16, 3:25 PM
    • 15,653 Posts
    • 11,354 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 2nd Sep 16, 3:25 PM
    • 2nd Sep 16, 3:25 PM
    Not picked this up as a problem on the forums .I see its a total of 35 against 3 million sold so far .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Well, the numbers play against it happening to any particular person, and the fact that it's not been sold in the UK yet means that it's even more unlikely to appear as an issue on MSE.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 2nd Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    • 8,844 Posts
    • 3,577 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 2nd Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    • 2nd Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    Did not mean this forum but forums for the other six non UK versions of Note 7 .
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 2nd Sep 16, 5:20 PM
    • 3,565 Posts
    • 3,065 Thanks
    sillygoose
    • 2nd Sep 16, 5:20 PM
    • 2nd Sep 16, 5:20 PM
    I only have an 'ancient' Note 4 which has a removable battery, so I presume later models have a fixed battery?.. I bet Samsung are regretting that then!!

It would be a lot cheaper to dish out new batteries than whole phones obviously!
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 2nd Sep 16, 6:08 PM
    • 10,317 Posts
    • 18,564 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    • 2nd Sep 16, 6:08 PM
    • 2nd Sep 16, 6:08 PM
    Well, if you'd be happy to travel on a commercial airline flight with just one passenger who had one of those 35 phones that 'exploded', or caught fire, good luck!
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 02-09-2016 at 6:39 PM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 2nd Sep 16, 6:11 PM
    • 10,317 Posts
    • 18,564 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    • 2nd Sep 16, 6:11 PM
    • 2nd Sep 16, 6:11 PM
    Well, the numbers play against it happening to any particular person, and the fact that it's not been sold in the UK yet means that it's even more unlikely to appear as an issue on MSE.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    So, are you maybe saying that, in statistical terms, it's alright then, and an acceptable fault?
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 02-09-2016 at 6:40 PM.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 2nd Sep 16, 7:01 PM
    • 15,653 Posts
    • 11,354 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 2nd Sep 16, 7:01 PM
    • 2nd Sep 16, 7:01 PM
    So, are you maybe saying that, in statistical terms, it's alright then, and an acceptable fault?
    Originally posted by worldtraveller
    What in my post would give you that idea? I was simply responding to the comment that it hadn't been seen in the forum (later clarified to be other, unspecified, forums).
    • d123
    • By d123 2nd Sep 16, 7:36 PM
    • 5,785 Posts
    • 3,787 Thanks
    d123
    • 2nd Sep 16, 7:36 PM
    • 2nd Sep 16, 7:36 PM
    I would presume Samsung themselves would have a more accurate idea of the scale of the problem than you and the forums you read.

If it wasn't a serious issue it's pretty doubtful they would have ordered a worldwide recall and replacement.
    Dave
    ====
    • LucidlyKataklys
    • By LucidlyKataklys 10th Oct 16, 10:37 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LucidlyKataklys
    Samsung Note 7 on 3 UK Advise
    Hi All,

I pre-ordered & received a Note 7 on 16th August, which was then recalled by Samsung on the 19th August (talk about bad luck!).

3 picked up the Note 7 mid September and gave me a temporary replacement phone (A S6 Edge, meh but it's something at least).

With the recent confirmation from Samsung that they have stopped production of the Note 7 again due to the "safe" handsets also bursting into flames, I'm starting to get quite worried now.

I was wondering if it would be possible to go to 3 and get a different phone, or even cancel my contract entirely?
    • d123
    • By d123 10th Oct 16, 3:17 PM
    • 5,785 Posts
    • 3,787 Thanks
    d123
    I'm sure they would allow you to change to a different phone, but you might have a battle to get the actual network contract cancelled.

Have you asked Three?
    Dave
    ====
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 10th Oct 16, 3:26 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    20aday
    In America some of the carriers over there are recalling the handset and allowing customers to replace it for another device.

I don't know if you use Twitter and/or Facebook at all but @ThreeUKSupport have been quick to respond when I've had queries in the past.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • remix754
    • By remix754 10th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    remix754
    well i'm in a problem here. i pre-ordered and got my note 7 couple of days before launch and since returned it for their loan phone, s6e meh, and i got a load of accessories for the phone. was hoping to get the "new" note 7 but due to stopping production in light of the new burn-gate problem with the phone i am now stuck as i want to change my phone.

and here comes the problems
    1) i have spent money on accessories and of no fault of my own i'm out of pocket. anyway to claim money back on this? (screen protectors, cases, cables, chargers)
    2) my contract with three is £61 and i'm sure the handset cost is subbed into the contract price. so anyway to get money back since i used the phone for a day and have no phone to show for it now.
    3) i did an early upgrade and paid off my contract of about £100+ and i could have just waited and not had to pay this money upfront with the problems with the phone. as i could have now got a iphone without paying the cost of early upgrade. now i'm looking to have to pay an extra £100 ontop just to get the iphone.

could someone please point me to a way to sort this out? three have been no use. they even stated today that the phone is still getting sent out but no time frame for delivery.
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 11th Oct 16, 5:48 AM
    • 10,317 Posts
    • 18,564 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners told to turn off device
    Samsung has urged owners of the Galaxy Note 7 to turn off the smartphone while it investigates new reports of the device catching fire.

The South Korean firm also said it would stop all sales of the phone.
    Samsung recalled 2.5m phones in September after complaints of exploding batteries and later assured customers that all replaced devices were safe.

But there are now reports that even those phones that had been replaced were catching fire.

"Because consumers' safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note 7 while the investigation is taking place," the company said.

"Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note 7 or replacement Galaxy Note 7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available," it added.

BBC News

• deke777
    • By deke777 11th Oct 16, 7:23 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    deke777
    Samsung Safety slowly slowly
    Charging a lithium battery in 10 minutes is the precursor of all that is bad, with the need to top up devices so quickly when, patently, the technology is not quite there yet. I use a Samsung tablet, that takes 4-6 hours to fill up; my smart phone takes about the same time and, is left charged over night, with a special adaptor that switches off, when it is fully re-charged. Much the safest way.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 11th Oct 16, 8:19 AM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Ian011
    Well, if you'd be happy to travel on a commercial airline flight with just one passenger who had one of those 35 phones that 'exploded', or caught fire, good luck!
    Originally posted by worldtraveller
    This has now happened.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Oct 16, 9:37 AM
    • 8,844 Posts
    • 3,577 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Take the view that you are not going to get a Note 7 anytime soon .
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 11th Oct 16, 9:55 AM
    • 6,711 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I believe that Samsung were well aware of overheating problems on NOTE phones for years
    My NOTE 1 (GT-N7000) from 2011 overheated - the camera lens used to get red hot - even when not using the camera - I returned the phone to Tmobile, twice for replacement and both times - they claimed that nothing was wrong with the device - but replaced it anyway (replacement was exactly the same)
    Eventually, after almost 2 years - I took the phone back to the EE shop (Tmobile had changed in the interim) - and got a refund......
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 15,653 Posts
    • 11,354 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Samsung have now announced that they have ceased production completely and the word is that owners will get a refund or exchange for another phone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37618618
    • chubbybrown4real
    • By chubbybrown4real 11th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    chubbybrown4real
    I had a Pre order via the car phone warehouse.
    I returned it about 10 days ago and I have as well a 'Loaner' S6
    I didn't pay £699 for a Loaner S6 for the rest of my days,Im sim free though,so hopefully that will make a difference.

ROy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

3,498Users online

Martin's Twitter