Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • strangeotron
    • By strangeotron 2nd Sep 16, 8:23 AM
    • 488Posts
    • 385Thanks
    strangeotron
    New windows
    • 2nd Sep 16, 8:23 AM
    New windows 2nd Sep 16 at 8:23 AM
    Two bedrooms are getting new windows tomorrow. Any idea how long this should take? Also how bad does the weather have to be before they cancel as heavy rain is forecast for most of the day. Thanks.
Page 2
    • strangeotron
    • By strangeotron 16th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    strangeotron
    It's not the window fitters' job to replace blinds or any other window coverings.
    Originally posted by Zoology Dragon
    Well that's unfortunate.

I'm reticent to drill into the frame in case I cause damage, I'm sure it would invalidate warranties that exist.

Can't really afford to buy new blinds - and even then they would also have to be drilled into the frame as before. The wall won't take the weight of the blind (i've tried).
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 16th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 8,685 Posts
    • 9,751 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I'm reticent to drill into the frame in case I cause damage, I'm sure it would invalidate warranties that exist.
    Originally posted by strangeotron
    Which is precisely why window installers won't put up things such as blinds that require them to be mounted onto the window frames.

The wall won't take the weight of the blind (i've tried).
    Originally posted by strangeotron
    There must be a lintel above the window and this should be more than strong enough to take the weight of any blinds.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 16th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    phil24_7
    Whatever is above the window should be suitable to hang a blind so long as the correct fixings and method are followed.
    • strangeotron
    • By strangeotron 16th Oct 16, 12:51 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    strangeotron
    I'm afraid not. Certainly not to my ability. I've tried: i put the brackets up, they sat in place, but when i tried to use the blinds the brackets just come out. The wall is too thin; it's not brick. This is why the blind was installed directly into the previous frame. The only place it put it is above the window frame and that's where I tried.

I'm not sure what else I can do.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 16th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    phil24_7
    The wall cannot be thin, it is an external wall.

It will have a lintel above the windows. It may be that this is metal so you are finding it hard to get a fixing in, you may be able to drill it and screw into it.
    • strangeotron
    • By strangeotron 16th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    strangeotron
    The wall cannot be thin, it is an external wall.

It will have a lintel above the windows. It may be that this is metal so you are finding it hard to get a fixing in, you may be able to drill it and screw into it.
    Originally posted by phil24_7
    I think there's a layer of air in between the outer wall and the wall i'm drilling. Either way it's not being held in place.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,627Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin