Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 1st Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    • 136Posts
    • 203Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Baby steps towards mortgage freedom
    • 1st Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    Baby steps towards mortgage freedom 1st Sep 16 at 8:58 PM
    Hello Everyone

After lurking for around the last two years and being inspired by so many other diaries I thought it was about time to start my own.

Me and DH are both 27 and this is the fourth house we have lived in - in fact it was the only one we ever had to re-mortgage as we managed to stay put until the initial fix came to an end! We currently have a little boy (5 yrs) and a little girl who arrived 10 weeks ago.

Our house is a three bed Victorian terrace which we brought for 170k in 2014 on a 95% mortgage. We re-mortgaged in June this year at 80% with a 2.99% interest rate and fixed for 5 years - the house was revalued at 192k as we had put the original third bedroom back by taking out an en-suite.

Our long term aim is to be mortgage free by the time we are 40 and if we stay in this house I think it will be just about possible, however it sometimes feels a little small and we would like another baby in the future so I doubt this will be our forever home. So in the short term we are aiming to have the mortgage down to 60% LTV for when the current fix ends in June 2021 which is around 115,200.

To reach our target I have worked out that we need to be making over payments of around 250 a month which so far we have managed but I think this may become trickier once my maternity pay tails off.

I am hoping having a diary and de-lurking will help keep me motivated.
    Last edited by Moominmamma89; 11-01-2017 at 4:21 PM.
Page 8
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 19th May 17, 12:16 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Friday

Mum is off to Ireland tonight so I am on dogsitting duty for the next few days - I miss having a dog so make sure I get my fix of furbaby cuddles on these weekends. Mr Moomin would rather like a dog now but I want Button to be at pre-school first.

Have to have a word with Munchkin's teacher at pick up today as he came home quite upset this week saying two of the other boys were calling him fat . Now I know that 5 year old's reporting of events can be a bit hazy sometimes and I so don't want to be "that parent" but I think we do need to get to the bottom of this one as he was so upset and kept trying to think of excuses not to go in today . I think I'm pretty calm and laid-back about kid's fall outs in general but this is something I won't tolerate.

On a lighter note I have no MSE news today and have only managed one NSD this week so far but there is always next week. I really need to sort through our stuff and get on with selling some of it but it is mostly baby stuff which I'm not sure if I'm ready to part with .

Hope everyone has a fab weekend (and sorry about the rant!) x
    Outstanding Mortgage - 143,332.59 (75% LTV)
    Current end date: May 2041 (originally August 2044)
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 22nd May 17, 12:32 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Happy Monday all

Weather here is lovely which means Button can show off her cuteness in a new dress at school pick up later. We had a walk this morning and picked up a few things from Mr T for dinners this week.

Spoke with Munchkin's teacher on Friday and she is going to speak to the boys and remind the class about "kind words" to each other so I'm glad I mentioned it.

Spent Saturday helping my brother do some spreadsheets as him and his girlfriend are buying their first house together. Think he was a bit concerned at my clear excitement over the spreadsheets (there were 3!!!) . Then Sunday we took the kids to Stratford and had a mooch around - Mr Moomin brought me a bag as the one I use for the gym and day-to-day stuff is looking shabby. He also got me a mug for my return to work next week - yup a whole year has gone and so quick!!!

Can't think of anything else to report so off to tidy up before Button is up again - have a good week everyone
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 29th May 17, 2:12 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Afternoon everyone - we got back from our weekend away this morning and have managed to get all unpacked and the necessary washing started - first load will be ready to hang up in the next 10 mins or so. We were very lucky with the weather but my god it is miserable here and has just rained since we arrived home.

Mr Moomin has taken the kids out to let Munchkin pick up his birthday cake for tomorrow - can't believe my little boy will be 6!!! Time is going too fast - talking of which my first day back to work is Thursday and I'm a little disappointing with myself for having not focused enough this year and started some sort of retraining. I definitely lack self confidence - been in my job 10 years this year and it was only ever meant to be for a year after finishing college while I figured out what I wanted to do, having been there so long makes it harder to take the risk of leaving.

We didn't spend all the money we put aside for the holiday so going to see if Mr Moomin will let me OP some .

Hope everyone had a nice bank holiday .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

8Posts Today

4,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin