Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 1st Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    • 167Posts
    • 248Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Baby steps towards mortgage freedom
    • 1st Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    Baby steps towards mortgage freedom 1st Sep 16 at 8:58 PM
    Hello Everyone

After lurking for around the last two years and being inspired by so many other diaries I thought it was about time to start my own.

Me and DH are both 27 and this is the fourth house we have lived in - in fact it was the only one we ever had to re-mortgage as we managed to stay put until the initial fix came to an end! We currently have a little boy (5 yrs) and a little girl who arrived 10 weeks ago.

Our house is a three bed Victorian terrace which we brought for £170k in 2014 on a 95% mortgage. We re-mortgaged in June this year at 80% with a 2.99% interest rate and fixed for 5 years - the house was revalued at £192k as we had put the original third bedroom back by taking out an en-suite.

Our long term aim is to be mortgage free by the time we are 40 and if we stay in this house I think it will be just about possible, however it sometimes feels a little small and we would like another baby in the future so I doubt this will be our forever home. So in the short term we are aiming to have the mortgage down to 60% LTV for when the current fix ends in June 2021 which is around £115,200.

To reach our target I have worked out that we need to be making over payments of around £250 a month which so far we have managed but I think this may become trickier once my maternity pay tails off.

I am hoping having a diary and de-lurking will help keep me motivated.
    Last edited by Moominmamma89; 11-01-2017 at 4:21 PM.
Page 8
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 19th May 17, 12:16 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Friday

Mum is off to Ireland tonight so I am on dogsitting duty for the next few days - I miss having a dog so make sure I get my fix of furbaby cuddles on these weekends. Mr Moomin would rather like a dog now but I want Button to be at pre-school first.

Have to have a word with Munchkin's teacher at pick up today as he came home quite upset this week saying two of the other boys were calling him fat . Now I know that 5 year old's reporting of events can be a bit hazy sometimes and I so don't want to be "that parent" but I think we do need to get to the bottom of this one as he was so upset and kept trying to think of excuses not to go in today . I think I'm pretty calm and laid-back about kid's fall outs in general but this is something I won't tolerate.

On a lighter note I have no MSE news today and have only managed one NSD this week so far but there is always next week. I really need to sort through our stuff and get on with selling some of it but it is mostly baby stuff which I'm not sure if I'm ready to part with .

Hope everyone has a fab weekend (and sorry about the rant!) x
    Outstanding Mortgage - 141,962.13 (74% LTV)
    Current end date: March 2041 (originally August 2044)
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 22nd May 17, 12:32 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Happy Monday all

Weather here is lovely which means Button can show off her cuteness in a new dress at school pick up later. We had a walk this morning and picked up a few things from Mr T for dinners this week.

Spoke with Munchkin's teacher on Friday and she is going to speak to the boys and remind the class about "kind words" to each other so I'm glad I mentioned it.

Spent Saturday helping my brother do some spreadsheets as him and his girlfriend are buying their first house together. Think he was a bit concerned at my clear excitement over the spreadsheets (there were 3!!!) . Then Sunday we took the kids to Stratford and had a mooch around - Mr Moomin brought me a bag as the one I use for the gym and day-to-day stuff is looking shabby. He also got me a mug for my return to work next week - yup a whole year has gone and so quick!!!

Can't think of anything else to report so off to tidy up before Button is up again - have a good week everyone
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 29th May 17, 2:12 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Afternoon everyone - we got back from our weekend away this morning and have managed to get all unpacked and the necessary washing started - first load will be ready to hang up in the next 10 mins or so. We were very lucky with the weather but my god it is miserable here and has just rained since we arrived home.

Mr Moomin has taken the kids out to let Munchkin pick up his birthday cake for tomorrow - can't believe my little boy will be 6!!! Time is going too fast - talking of which my first day back to work is Thursday and I'm a little disappointing with myself for having not focused enough this year and started some sort of retraining. I definitely lack self confidence - been in my job 10 years this year and it was only ever meant to be for a year after finishing college while I figured out what I wanted to do, having been there so long makes it harder to take the risk of leaving.

We didn't spend all the money we put aside for the holiday so going to see if Mr Moomin will let me OP some .

Hope everyone had a nice bank holiday .
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 31st May 17, 12:48 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Can't believe my little Munchkin is now 6 . We had a lovely day yesterday with an indoor picnic at home and a mini family party at my mums in the evening. I ate way too much cake .

Today is officially the last day of maternity leave so will be heading back into the office tomorrow but only in one day this week so shouldn't complain too much. Munchkin has decided to make me feel guilty by telling me he doesn't want me to go back and thinks I should stay home to look after his little sister - I think he reckons I am just gonna leave her to fend for herself while I'm gone .

Sewing class tonight and have a few things round the house to get organised today before tomorrow. Reckon there will be some extra funds to OP from overestimating of bills this month but will know how much tomorrow.

Hope everyone is ok
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 2nd Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    First day of work over and done with yesterday - went fairly quickly and it didn't take too long for me to remember my way round the system. All in all it went well and it was lovely the see everyone and have some time to feel like more than just a mum. However I'm waiting on a call from a training provider about getting enrolled on a course for a career change, something I should have done while on maternity leave but hey ho! Being back yesterday made me realise it is not the job I want to be doing for the next 30 years so plan is to retrain and go self employed .

Can't believe it is June already and this month's OP will be me reaching target so I will be re-setting goals in one of my next posts.

Hope everyone is well and having more luck with their summer weather than we are today!
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 5th Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Morning all

Start of a new week and I'm giving myself a shake and getting motivated. I'm signed up for my course with all the books arriving this week (hopefully no later than Wednesday) and have a phone appointment with my tutor on Friday to plan out my study - it's been nearly 10 years since I've done any studying so feeling a bit nervous but if I don't give it a whirl I'll only regret it.

We missed the first car boot of the year on Saturday as I only realised it was on when we drove past but now they have started again Mr Moomin has agreed to help sort through our stuff and take it to the next one. I did pick up some new fabric at the weekend as my skirt is finally finished so I'm moving on to a dress which I'm hoping to have done by July as me and Mr Moomin are going away for our anniversary.

The standard mortgage payment has left my account but hasn't yet hit the mortgage account so will make June's OP tomorrow. I have updated my signature though because the standard payment took us below the 75% mortgage band .

Hope everyone has a good week x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 7th Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    I popped to the bank this morning with Button to pay in some cheques and we had a mooch round town before picking up a book for each of us and heading home - she is now napping while I have convinced myself that updating you all is more urgent that tidying the house .

June's OP of £342 was sent yesterday and once it hits the account I'll of made £3,116.84 in 2017 and have therefore reached my original target . I think I did set a revised one a few weeks back but we are discussing the possibility of a move (again!) and so I'm just going to plod along making monthly OPs without setting a definite target.

The problem we have is that the house is really too small as we brought it when we thought Munchkin would be our one and only child. My parents have a house that they rent out atm but will soon be empty and so they have offered to let us live there rent free for a few years to save which is such a great opportunity and really tempting as the house is much bigger and we wouldn't be paying interest on the mortgage. Only worry is coming off the property ladder I'm not sure how easy it would be to get back on - decisions decision!

In other news all my course material arrived yesterday and yikes there is loads! I'm trying not to panic and remember I can just work through it a bit at a time - find myself internally chanting " You can do this - you will be fine, You can do this - you will be fine, You can do this - you will be fine" .

Hope everyone is having a good week x
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 7th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 7,142 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    I have updated my signature though because the standard payment took us below the 75% mortgage band .

x
    Originally posted by Moominmamma89
    Fab news! Well done

The opportunity of the bigger house without rent/mortgage payments sounds pretty fab too, how far away is it from where you are currently?
    Emergency savings- £3550.96 /£4000
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90% end date Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £1444.02/ £2150. 67%
    Jan- £68.21, Feb- £306.67, March- £272.01 April-£324.05 May £120.33 June £279.15 July: £73.98
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 8th Jun 17, 9:54 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,906 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Sounds a great opportunity. If you were living there rent free couldn't you rent your current house out, continue to overpay, therefore you'd be staying on the property ladder?
    Mortgage - £105,500
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 9th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Hello all - strange news to wake up to this morning eh?

The house is not too far from where we are now so still convenient for school runs and is actually closer to my parents which would be handy as mum is having Button the days I'm working. We did think of keeping ours to rent out but having looked at the figures the rent we would get wouldn't cover the mortgage once you take agent fees and tax into account. Finance wise I think we would be about the same as the increase in bills is about what we pay in mortgage interest so it really comes down to having the extra space.

My June OP is yet to hit the account so will have to leave updating my signature until next week and my YouGov account is up to £16.00 - although I'm guessing with the election over the surveys may slow down.

Had my first phone appointment with my tutor this morning so that is now moving along and just need to st down this weekend and plan out my study. Also going for an eye test this weekend as having to focus on the screens at work is making my head hurt and vision blur but I can claim the eye test and any glasses I might need back through our work health insurance so that is good.

Anyway hope you all have a great weekend and fingers crossed we get some sunshine x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 14th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Hello everyone

Been very busy last couple of days - been getting into my course and first bits of coursework due 30 June so been getting organised so I can study while Button naps - sadly this means I no longer get a cheeky nap hopefully it will all be worth it in the end! Today's section was quite short so only took an hour.

Had my eye test Saturday and had to order some glasses which I can collect this weekend - test and glasses came to £100 which I will be able to reclaim in full so very happy about that - less happy about having to wear the glasses. Ended up having to pick from "Young Adult" range as my head is so narrow .

It's Mr Moomin's birthday today so we are going out for a meal to a local Mexican which opened earlier this year and have been really wanting to try. We got him a new Fitbit which is a sort of combined birthday/Father's Day gift although I will pick him up a token gift for Sunday so he has something to open.

Me and Button went for a walk to the Post Office this morning to renew Munchkin's passport as both he and my Granny are desperate for him to go to Ireland again to see her and it lapsed in February. It is lovely here today so after her nap I might take her for another stroll.

My YouGov is up to £17 but no other OP news. Have updated my signature as this month's OP has been applied.

Hope everyone is well and getting some sun
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 16th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Happy Friday everyone - we have a busy weekend planned need to head into town to pick up glasses, bank a cheque Mr Moomin got for his birthday and pick up some headphones as mine broke at the gym this week. Then Mr Moomin is taking the kids to his mums while I do some studying and then in the evening we are going to paint the shed.

Was very cloudy on the walk so didn't stay out long - picked up pizza for tonight but really need to get back into making them as Munchkin has been asking for the last few Fridays.

No OP news - have done another survey for YouGov and one I need to do when Munchkin is home as I need his opinion on some of the questions.

Studying is going well atm and I'm surprised I have managed to retain the information I'm learning so fingers crossed. On that note I have to actually go do some more so that I can do some more of Button's quilt tonight (yup - still not finished ).

Have great weekends all
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 19th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Happy Monday all

Have been a bit lax at updating my diary since starting my course and going back to work . Have also been a bit lax at exploring ways to make a bit of extra income so need to give myself a shake. We have found out the next car boot is 1 July so going to make an effort to shift what we have in the shed and hopefully that will give us some money to OP.

Weather here is lovely but far too hot for Button who has been crying most of the morning and is now drenched in sweat - she does not yet have the sense that crying and constantly wanting to be cuddled is just making her hotter. Have put her down for her nap and hoping she wakes up in a better mood!

She will be one on Saturday and I just can't believe where that time went. I'm taking Munchkin to pick her up a toy later this week and we will get her an outfit but I wont be spending alot as at this age she won't notice and will be spoilt by the grandparents. We are going to have a little birthday tea for her but more an excuse to let the older cousins get together and wear each other out .

Anyway I'm off to do my studying as I have one more section of this topic to get through and then I can submit my first load of coursework which I should hopefully be doing Wednesday or Thursday night.

x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 21st Jun 17, 11:52 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Hello everyone - it is baking here! Luckily our house is quite cool downstairs so me and Button are staying in today.

Me and Mr Moomin had a meeting this morning with Munchkin's teacher and support teacher and he is really catching up and has met all his targets for year one very proud. We have some work to do over the summer holidays but they said he will be less behind going into year two than he was going into year 1 which is a relief.

I have to revise first topic of course today as I completed it yesterday and then submit coursework tonight or tomorrow - it's online and should only take 20 mins or so, hopefully I will pass it.

No other news really - have 3 more working day this month and looking forward to getting a non zero payslip!

x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 21st Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Just popping back on to say I've submitted first bit of coursework - will find out when I speak to my tutor on 30th if I passed it. One more to submit this month but 1/8 down! x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 23rd Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Happy Friday all - it has cooled down here so me and Button got out for our walk this morning which was first time this week.

Took Munchkin upto Mr T last night to pick up some presents for Button's birthday tomorrow - can't believe she is going to be 1! He picked out a dress and unicorn teddy and I also picked her up a romper and one of those pull along telephones which even I had when I was little.

Have my sewing class tonight and I need to get my dress I'm making prepped so I can just start sewing when I get there as I feel anything I can do at home saves me wasting class time. I also have some studying to get done today so I'm off to do that now but think today's topics shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

Hope everyone is well and has a good weekend x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 28th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Hello all

Today is a busy one, Button has her vaccinations this morning so just having a nap now before I take her and I managed to get some studying done - I submitted my second piece of coursework over the weekend so 2/8 done . Have a phone appointment with my tutor on Friday to find out if I got the necessary marks on both so fingers crossed. Then I have to go see a doctor myself this afternoon as contemplating having some lazer treatment on my stomach before collecting Munchkin and hopefully pick up his new prescription goggles. Also need to fit in another hour of study which i'll do when Button is having her lunchtime nap as I have my sewing class tonight.

Pay day tomorrow I am excited as it is my first pay since I went back from maternity - hoping to make at least one month's worth of reduction in July.

Hope everyone is well x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 30th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Just popping in quickly to say hello - got paid yesterday so set aside enough to be able to make an OP of £342 after normal mortgage payments comes out, this should reduce the term by another month.

Seen the consultant about my stomach and apparently laser treatment will not be that effective and so he has recommended surgery not too sure how I feel about it tbh, was hoping some non-surgical method would be effective but I think I knew deep down I would need surgery if I want it fixed.

Have a call with my course tutor later this morning to see if my coursework marks are high enough (wish me luck!) and then out at the NEC tomorrow with my Mum for the Stitching show so I predict lots of fabric in my not too distant future .

Hope everyone has a fab weekend! x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 30th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    I passed - 95% for one unit and 100% for the other.

Sorry I had to brag to someone as apart from Mr Moomin no-one else know's I'm taking the course.
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 30th Jun 17, 4:44 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,906 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Wow - amazing marks! You should definitely be bragging about those What course are you doing?
    Mortgage - £105,500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,558Posts Today

7,735Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin