Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 1st Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    • 164Posts
    • 242Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Baby steps towards mortgage freedom
    • 1st Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    Baby steps towards mortgage freedom 1st Sep 16 at 8:58 PM
    Hello Everyone

After lurking for around the last two years and being inspired by so many other diaries I thought it was about time to start my own.

Me and DH are both 27 and this is the fourth house we have lived in - in fact it was the only one we ever had to re-mortgage as we managed to stay put until the initial fix came to an end! We currently have a little boy (5 yrs) and a little girl who arrived 10 weeks ago.

Our house is a three bed Victorian terrace which we brought for £170k in 2014 on a 95% mortgage. We re-mortgaged in June this year at 80% with a 2.99% interest rate and fixed for 5 years - the house was revalued at £192k as we had put the original third bedroom back by taking out an en-suite.

Our long term aim is to be mortgage free by the time we are 40 and if we stay in this house I think it will be just about possible, however it sometimes feels a little small and we would like another baby in the future so I doubt this will be our forever home. So in the short term we are aiming to have the mortgage down to 60% LTV for when the current fix ends in June 2021 which is around £115,200.

To reach our target I have worked out that we need to be making over payments of around £250 a month which so far we have managed but I think this may become trickier once my maternity pay tails off.

I am hoping having a diary and de-lurking will help keep me motivated.
    Last edited by Moominmamma89; 11-01-2017 at 4:21 PM.
Page 5
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 7th Mar 17, 12:15 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Up early again and feeling so much better for it - I manged to have the house and myself all tidied before Mr Moonin went to work so wasn't running round trying to do it all when Button had her morning nap. Instead managed to do a few jobs I have been putting off which is good.

Will be a NSD here today - we have been for our usual walk and I didn't need anything from the shop so we just had a mooch around enjoying the fresh air and having a snoop down the nicer streets at houses we could never afford!

Waiting for the doctor to call me about Munchkins referral but otherwise nothing much happening here.
    Outstanding Mortgage - 141,962.13 (74% LTV)
    Current end date: March 2041 (originally August 2044)
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 7th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 13,195 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    I do hope your knee feels much better soon x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 5.6.17 - £123,900
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 8th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Knee is now just bruised and swollen but no longer painfully - I am such a clutz I always seem to have a bruise or cut somewhere, I once managed to punch myself during an exercise class and scratch myself with my engagement ring across my cheek - 6 odd months later and I still have a faint mark .

We have been for our walk this morning and it is definitely warming up which is lovely. Mum has offered to take me and Button out for lunch so that is a nice mid-week treat. Munchkin has football practice later and is all excited as Mr Moomin took him at the weekend to pick up a new kit as his old one he got when he was 4 so it was getting much too small.

I am in the process of clearing through the house and trying to get more organised - it is amazing the amount of stuff you amass and then forget about, so making a huge effort to get it into some sort of shape before my maternity leave ends. Getting up early is definitely helping with this as I just feel more motivated in general.

Hope everyone is having a good week so far - half way to Friday people
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 9th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    I am waiting for the parcel lady to collect the boxes for webuybooks - all I know is it will be sometime between 7 - 7 so I haven't risked going for our usual walk this morning. It is always the same lady and generally around lunchtime so will hopefully get out when Button is up from her nap. Munchkin goes to my Mum's on Thursdays which is why I always get collections done today as I can stay in all day if needed.

If we do manage a walk I have to pop in to the post office to get a renewal passport form for Munchkin and need to apply for one for Button as I want to take her to Ireland to meet my Granny. Munchkin goes over with my Mum a few times a year.

Have managed to catch up with filing all our personal paperwork this morning and have just written my letter to work to arrange a "return to work" meeting which I am hoping will take place beginning of April so I can get myself sorted. All pretty boring stuff but glad i've done it.

Mr Moomin is off to the gym tonight so I am going to try and do some of my cross stitch and get one of my ongoing projects finished - wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 9th Mar 17, 6:02 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 13,195 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Oooh good luck! I would love to know how to cross stitch.

I hope that you managed to get out for a walk and enjoy the spring weather xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 5.6.17 - £123,900
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 10th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Thanks for the wishing of luck ATB however I procrastinated (as usual) and didn't even look at it last night . I am dogsitting for my Mum tonight again so planning on taking it with me and finishing. My Mum taught me when I was little and I find it quite relaxing - worst bit is getting it all out and set up so you can get started.

Spent this morning at the framers with two pictures deciding on frames which I can pick up in about two weeks. Button was a bit late going down for her nap and boy did she let me know she wasn't happy about this disruption in routine! Thankfully she has managed to drift off now.

Boxes got collected yesterday and so we went for our walk and picked up application forms but have not done anything really productive today - it's Friday so I think that's allowed. Once we have collected Munchkin from school we will need to pick up pizza for him and Mr Moomin later along with a treat each.

Not sure what we are doing this weekend but hope you all have a good one .
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 13th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Hi Moomin mamma. Iíve just caught up with your diary from the beginning. I love your name (My brothers and I used to call our mum Moomin).
    Iím really sorry to hear you had a rubbish January, especially the furbaby, but Iím glad she got chance to say goodbye properly. We had the same birthday weekend so I think we have almost the same birthday 😊 Happy birthday for then! Hope you had lots of lovely cake!
    I love that youíve been cooking with Munchkin to teach him about cooking and have tasty treatsÖ but I loved even more when you said you were making something in the slow cooker and looking forward to getting to lick the spoon yourself! The sacrifices you make as a mum eh?! 😃
    Well done on Munchkinís progress! My brother was behind with his development at school then when he was 14 they found out he was almost deaf and had been lip reading! They hadnít a clue. Anyway, they fitted him with grommets and he soon improved. Iím glad that they referred you to NHS for Munchkin in case he needs new grommets.
    Sounds like youíre having a good time with the sewing. Do you plan to sell some items, such as totes etc., on Etsy when youíve had a bit more practice? Things like that seem to sell well.
    Congratulations to Mr Moomin passing his last exam. I bet thatís a weight off for him and must mean more time for him to spend with family rather than studying.
    Youíre doing so well with your OPs. Iím really inspired.
    Just on a personal note, you sound like such a good mum and wife, and your kids sound lovely. I love that you include a bit about them, makes it so much more personal, and they have the cutest nicknames. Youíre doing a great job balancing being a mum, being a wife, managing the finances/Ops, looking after your body, helping your mum with dogsitting etc. Keep it up, and I look forward to keeping up with your journey!
    Savings: Aim £10k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Current £9,825
    Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£216,000 / Current -£197,300
    BTL Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£136,000/ Current -£125,800
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Current -£35,655.49
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / 29th April 2017 -£14,003.85
    CC 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Current -£3,613.77
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 13th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Hi ch4rly2002 thank you for dropping in and thank you so much for your lovely post - it has really made my day . Happy February birthday to you as well, I think I had a bit too much cake (if there is such a thing) .

I have not thought about selling on Etsy tbh, it would depend alot on the item as I know from the past when I was asked about selling one of my quilts the person was really shocked about the cost of the materials and wasnít willing to pay that let alone anything for my time. Definitely something to think about thou.

No news from the weekend but last night we had a bit of a tense moment when I was having to fulfil Toothfairy duties and Munchkin woke up . I had been on the floor unwrapping the tooth ready to replace with a £1 - luckily he has a cabin bed so I had to dive in and just hide under it until he went back to sleep. He mustnít have noticed as he came into our room this morning with a very gummy smile and his £1 chattering away about the Toothfairy - Phew!!!!

I have no MSE updates really, waiting on webuybooks to confirm they have received the boxes that were collected last week. I know from experience that they pay pretty quick which is always good. OP hasnít yet been applied to mortgage account so will call them tomorrow if it hasnít updated by then.

Have been pretty productive this morning - me and Button went for our walk and picked up shopping to get us all through to Friday. Made salad boxes up for Mr Moominís lunches, put some washing through the machine and packed away the dry stuff. Did a bit more of a mini quilt I started at the weekend, it is the first one Iím making on my machine so will see how that goes and Iím about to quickly grab lunch before naptime is over.

Hope everyone has a good week
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 15th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Finally my March OP has been applied to the mortgage account so signature updated - we are now below £145k and into 75% LTV territory . I alway's aim for little milestone so the whole thing doesn't became overwhelming - next will be below £140k, which should be round October if I can keep the current level of OPing up.

Had an email to say boxes have arrived with webuybooks so hopefully they will confirm payment later today or tomorrow. Other than that nothing much to report, we are looking to book a UK holiday for all of us so Mr Moomin is checking what dates he can have off over Easter today to see when we can book it for - I am very excited as it will be our first family holiday with Button.

The weather here this week has been lovely so far and now it is definitely feeling like Spring. I don't know about everyone else but I find I am so much more productive when the sun is out - long may it continue, if it does I may even get round to listing those things on fleabay like I have been saying I will for months now .

Anyway hope everyone is having a good week
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 16th Mar 17, 2:53 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Congratulations on hitting your milestone...I like LTV milestones as they signify interest reductions to me

Enjoy the sunny weather!
    Savings: Aim £10k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Current £9,825
    Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£216,000 / Current -£197,300
    BTL Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£136,000/ Current -£125,800
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Current -£35,655.49
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / 29th April 2017 -£14,003.85
    CC 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Current -£3,613.77
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 20th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Happy Monday everyone - weather here is completely miserable . Got soaked when loading the shopping into the car this morning so apart from the school run later we will not be venturing out.

I have not updated in a while . Mum was in Ireland so I was on dog duty this weekend. Mr Moomin took the kids to MIL's on Saturday and dropped me at the NEC for the Sewing for Pleasure show - I had the best time! It is not often I get a whole day to myself and I wondered round listening to my Ipod for hours shopping and being inspired by all the crafts on display. Talking of music I am completely loving the new Ed Sheeran album - the man is a musical genius!

We have also booked our holiday - we are off to Longleat fo a few days in April which I am so looking forward to. We are not going to tell Munchkin until the morning we are going as a surprise - can't wait to see his little face as he doesn't think we are having a holiday this year as it isn't something we really do.

In MSE news my payment has arrived from webuybooks so now I have £148 towards my next £340 OP but apart from a few things to list on fleabay I am not sure how to increase my level of OPs. I feel I have cut back where I can so I will need to have a think about how to bring in some more money as work have not yet confirmed if I can go back part time.

Sorry this post has no real structure but I felt I wanted to get something down just so I don't loose momentum. So far this year we have Op'ed £2,094.84 which is almost at target.

Hope everyone has a great week and the sun comes back soon
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 21st Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Weather better today - sunny but cold as it is very windy. Took a short walk as Button does not have the sense to keep her hands in her gloves or in the foot cozy no matter how many times I try to re-adjust her.

Mr Moomin is away for work tonight so no gym later for me, I quickly did a few circuits this morning in the living room while Button had her morning nap which means I can do my quilt once the kids are in bed. Feeling very inspired and motivated from my trip to the NEC on Saturday.

Has been a NSD and hoping for a few more this week as I find myself popping into the shop a bit too often!
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 22nd Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    My quilt is coming along nicely and me and my machine are definitely friends atm. Ended up in bed for 9 last night which is way early for me but I think I needed it as went straight off and feel more energetic this morning.

Will be another NSD here which is good as with no council tax coming out this month I think we let our eye off the ball a bit and things will be tight until payday.

Anyway hope everyone is good and having a good week so far
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 24th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Happy Friday everyone

Should really be going to the gym later but think I will give it a miss and stay in for movie night with Munchkin. Heading up to the school later to watch a Mother's Day Assembly the class has been working on so I am sure I will be a very proud (and possibly teary) mummy later.

Not sure if what we are doing this weekend but I will pop in to see my mum for an hour or two on Sunday with her presents and a cake.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and mother's day
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 27th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Happy Monday all

I was well and truly spoilt for Mother's Day. Starting with the school assembly which was adorable and made me very proud - all the kids had to read out what they had written about why they love their mums, Munchkin declared it was because I read bedtime stories and play with him. Made me realise it is these little things they remember and i'll admit to welling up a little.

Mr Moomin then came home and told me I was getting a whole weekend of treats so we headed off on Saturday for pancakes and then when I got home I was told to pack a bag and got shifted off to a spa for the afternoon and overnight stay. It was fab I had a swim and read a book before getting room service and vegging out in my pjs all in a lovely quiet room - living the dream people, living the dream! Got collected after breakfast and came home to the new Ed Sherran album on vinyl before going to lunch with my mum. Then in the evening I had a bath and stuffed my face on cookies . I felt extremely lucky and appreciated all the effort Mr Moomin and the monsters made.

No other news really - looking forward to pay day although I will be lucky to get anything as I think I have now had all my maternity pay, may have a small tax refund though. April will be expensive as we are going on holiday and Munchkin breaks up from school Friday - also have his termly invoice for football and music classes to pay. Still hoping to manage an OP of £340 to knock another month off.

Hope everyone had lovely weekends x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 28th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Has been a bit of a spendy morning in the moominhouse - have to go to a black -tie event with Mr Moomin on Thursday and needed to pick up some new black shoes which were £20, luckily I can get into the dress I had from before I was pregnant with Button so that expense was spared. The shoes will also do for work if they agree to having me back part time - meeting is next Thursday.

I also picked up some hand weights as I have found I can fit in a quick workout at home when Button has her morning nap which leaves me my evenings free to do other things or just relax with Mr Moomin. So another £17.99 there.

Have not been keeping on top of the shopping and meal prep recently which has lead to us overspending a little so I am sitting down and preparing a list to stock the freezer through April in the hope our shopping bill will come down. Before Button I had it down to around £250 per month and now it is usually between £300 - £350 . Part of this is due to nappies and formula but mostly bad planning so aim for April is to get it back to £300 and then I will try and drop it again month on month. There will be a reduction come end of June when Button can go onto cows milk as we are using a tub of formula a week at £9 a go.

Anyway hope everyone is having a good week so far
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 29th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    I have a bit of a confession to make today - I have just cancelled my personal training sessions which I have been having fortnightly since having Button. Before that it was weekly and at £30 a session isn't very MSE of me.

I started to help me loose the weight I had put on and was still carrying from my pregnancy with Munchkin and were well worth the investment at the time as I dropped over 30lbs and gave me the confidence to use all the gym equipment. However it has got to the point I know what I need to do to maintain my weight and can happily put together my own workouts.

I had lost all the pregnancy weight from Button before I started training again so while I still had toning up to do I was essentially paying £30 for my trainer to chat to me while I worked out. Don't get me wrong he is fab at his job but what we do in the sessions I could sort of figure out myself or have a look on the internet for the information. He is lovely though so I have felt bad just stopping them so kept putting off cancelling them. But with my maternity pay stopping I couldn't help but think of the other things I could use the £60 a month on. It also frees up Sunday mornings for me to take Munchkin swimming but I still feel crap about effecting my trainers income .

On the OPing front we get paid tomorrow and found out I will get paid something because of having paid to much tax at the start of last years tax year so although not a huge amount much better than nothing.

Hope everyone is ok x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 30th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Pay day

I have done all the transfers to our e-savings accounts and will make my OP of £340 on 6th once the standard monthly payment leaves the account. Have an extra £58.28 ready to OP but that will have to wait to May unless I can top it up to another £340 (seriously doubt this will happen).

Had my sewing class last night and finished the apron I was making . Feeling very pleased with myself and as Munchkin has asked to do some baking over the Easter holidays I will soon be putting it to use.

Off out tonight for a networking thing with Mr Moomin so looking forward to getting dressed up for a change - on that note best go wash my hair as I am sure Button managed to get beans in it yesterday when she upended the bowl.

x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 3rd Apr 17, 12:36 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Happy Monday everyone and happy April - isn't the year going quick!

Well I did as planned and spent all weekend making shopping lists, shopping and then had a huge cookathon and filled the freezer. Spend just under £110 which got us formula, bread, milk and other fresh stuff to do this week and then managed to stock the freezer with:

Burgers (6)
    Chicken Curry (6)
    Chilli (11)
    Creamy Pork (6)
    Lentil Soup (7)
    Meatballs (8)
    Mini Meatloaf (12)
    Pizza Sauce (6)
    Pork Stew (5)
    Sloppy Joes (5)
    Spaghetti (4)
    Turkey Vegetable (12)

Numbers are the servings I got out of each so as you can see we are well stocked up and this should easily do us well into May as we will have baked spuds and things on toast for a bit of change every now and again.

Was determined to get back into the swing of monthly stock ups to make life easier come June when I may be back at work - meeting is Thursday and I am quite nervous about it!

In OPing news there was £17.91 left from March's bills so added that to the pot but atm will still only be making the one month reduction. I think I have an idea of a way to bring in some extra money so just having a good think and making some notes before having a talk with Mr Moomin - will keep you all posted.

Oooh has anyone else seen the new £1 coin - I got a few at the weekend, very shiny and look a bit odd but sure I will get used to them quick enough.

Weather here is lovely so as Munchkin is on half term now may take another walk with the monsters later.

x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 5th Apr 17, 1:15 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    I have no real news - standard mortgage payment went out today so will make my monthly OP later or tomorrow.

Meeting with work is tomorrow and although I am looking forward to taking Button in to show off her cuteness I am actually really nervous about talking with my boss about dropping to part time as he has indicated to Mr Moomin he is not exactly in favour of it - will update you all once I know what his position is for definite.

Munchkin is busy with jigsaws while Button is napping - I am not allowed to help as and I quote "Mummy I'm 5 I can do it myself".

Hope everyone is having a good week!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

241Posts Today

1,254Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin