Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 1st Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    • 208Posts
    • 355Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Baby steps towards mortgage freedom
    • 1st Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    Baby steps towards mortgage freedom 1st Sep 16 at 8:58 PM
    Hello Everyone

After lurking for around the last two years and being inspired by so many other diaries I thought it was about time to start my own.

Me and DH are both 27 and this is the fourth house we have lived in - in fact it was the only one we ever had to re-mortgage as we managed to stay put until the initial fix came to an end! We currently have a little boy (5 yrs) and a little girl who arrived 10 weeks ago.

Our house is a three bed Victorian terrace which we brought for £170k in 2014 on a 95% mortgage. We re-mortgaged in June this year at 80% with a 2.99% interest rate and fixed for 5 years - the house was revalued at £192k as we had put the original third bedroom back by taking out an en-suite.

Our long term aim is to be mortgage free by the time we are 40 and if we stay in this house I think it will be just about possible, however it sometimes feels a little small and we would like another baby in the future so I doubt this will be our forever home. So in the short term we are aiming to have the mortgage down to 60% LTV for when the current fix ends in June 2021 which is around £115,200.

To reach our target I have worked out that we need to be making over payments of around £250 a month which so far we have managed but I think this may become trickier once my maternity pay tails off.

I am hoping having a diary and de-lurking will help keep me motivated.
    Last edited by Moominmamma89; 11-01-2017 at 4:21 PM.
Page 10
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 18th Aug 17, 2:13 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Passed with another 100% - very pleased as I've passed 6 of my 8 units. The last two have been submitted and are in the queue to be marked so should know by next week. It is a huge weight off my mind to have the coursework all submitted thou and means I can concentrate on the two papers and practical side.

I have to say I'm surprised I have managed it as it's been 10 years since I did any studying and I've never done a subject like this. Poor Mr Moomin has had to put up with a few tears when things were getting tough and I felt like giving up - somedays he had more of a battle with me and my homework then he did with Munchkin and his . So I'm off to the shop to get him some sweets to say thanks for putting up with me.

I forgot to say the viewers from Monday had a second viewing this morning and he took my mobile number and said he would contact me when they have had a think so fingers crossed we may have an offer this afternoon.

Anyway I hope everyone has a fab weekend and sorry for the bragging post but I needed to get it out somewhere .

Byeeeeeeee xx
    Outstanding Mortgage - 139,880.15 (73% LTV)
    Current end date: January 2041 (originally August 2044)
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 21st Aug 17, 1:40 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Well done on another 100% I know what you mean about DH putting up with study emotions, so nice of you to get him something to show you noticed and appreciate his support.

Fingers crossed for an offer
    Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Current £11,200
    Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£216,000 / Current -£195,420
    BTL Mortgage: Dec 2014 -£136,000/ Current -£124,790
    CC 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Current -£3,506.43
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Current -£31,565.49
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / 29th April 2017 -£14,003.85
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 4th Sep 17, 3:53 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    A ridiculously early good morning from me today - I am currently sat on the sofa with a hot water bottle having to run to the bathroom to be sick every half hour and my tummy is feeling awful . Have no idea what is wrong and hoping it is a 24 hour bug that will be gone by tomorrow - the only other thing it could be is sympathy pains for my sister-in-law who is currently being induced so hopefully have some good news soon to help cheer me up.

I thought while I was here I would update as have let things slide awfully .

House Move - the last viewer I mentioned came for the second viewing and in total was here for an hour and half over the two visits. Then told agent he wasn't going to put in an offer because the parking was too small this is something he must have known 10 seconds after pulling up for the first viewing! I mean I don't mind when people decide they don't want to put an offer in but why waste so much of my time. *sigh* anyway we had 3 more viewings this weekend so fingers crossed and our agent did say things generally pick up in September when everyone is back from holidays.

Oh but the other odd thing that happened was someone who never even came to see the house put in an offer. They said they were a first time buyer but as the offer was £20k below asking I have a feeling it was an investor chancing their luck. I watched alot of Homes under the Hammer during maternity leave .

OPing - Still reducing by around £340 a month (the equivalent of a months reduction) and if we are still here in October we will be under the £140 mark.

PBs - As I am up this early I have already checked September's results and we won £50 .

Studying - Still don't know if I have passed the last two coursework units but should find out Friday as I have my last scheduled call with my tutor. Only 18 more days until my practical course and paper exams which is held over a weekend so not long too go. And I have already done all my revision I had scheduled in for today so there is a silver lining to this bug after all always look on the bright side eh?

Munchkin - Back to school in 6ish hours (I promise I'm not counting or anything!) and is saying he will be glad to see all his friends. I have been very disorganized and only finished picking up the last of the uniform yesterday!

Button - Still not walking completely but almost there and is babbling more. I think she is trying to say a few words. I also finished her quilt Friday - once I figure out how to upload a picture I will show it off considering it took me 18 months!

I think that is all my updating and I promise to try and be better. The (hopefully) imminent move and exams are distracting me. I had an email from MSE to say I had been here 1 whole year during which we have paid off just over £8,700 which I'm very happy with and I know I wouldn't have kept on track without this and the MFW 2017 thread so thank you all for your words of support and encouragement along the way xx

Last edited by Moominmamma89; 04-09-2017 at 9:20 AM.
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 4th Sep 17, 3:54 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Yikes - sorry about the long post and possible the tmi in that first paragraph
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 4th Sep 17, 7:35 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Congrats on the PB win! It all looks to be going well despite you saying you had let things slide awfully!

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22
    Money for Nothing pot = £392.99
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 4th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Congrats on the PB win
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 6th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Well no sign of nephew - poor SIL, hoping he will be here soon and she can get some rest.

The house two door up have put their's up for sale and I can't figure if it's a good or a bad thing. It is definitely more put together than ours but only 2 bed as the bathroom is upstairs. I think ours is slightly bigger in that if you moved our bathroom upstairs the kitchen is bigger as theirs doesn't extend as far back. So ours is on for £200k and theirs is "Offers Over £200k" hopefully two buyers will come along for one and we can have one each

Munchkin is enjoying being back at school and I'm enjoying the peace tbh. It can be exhausting looking after little people all day. Means I can do my studying guilt free too when Button is napping - only 16 more days until my practical weekend .

Made August's OP today so that was £348 and will update signature once is has been credited to mortgage account.

Hope everyone is having a good week x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 8th Sep 17, 11:48 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Nephew is here - I'm so pleased for BIL & SIL, he was just over 8 pounds and looks totally gorgeous in the photo we got sent. I now have an excuse to go look at little clothes and will probably end up all broody . Not sure when we will meet him in person as it was quite a long induction so SIL will be exhausted but going to get the present sorted this afternoon and I may get Munchkin to help me cook and bake a few things to take up to them when we go so they don't have to bother with cooking themselves.

I have my last phone call with my tutor today and then it's only two weeks to my exams . Have to say I will be glad when it is all over and I can have some of my time back to do things with the kids or read a book.

We have four viewings booked in for tomorrow so fingers crossed this is the last lot of viewings as although it is lovely having such a tidy house it is a bit tiring having to make sure all clutter is hidden.

Have great weekends all x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 10th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    We accepted an offer - viewer who came at 10:00 a.m. yesterday put in an offer around 11 which we asked they increase by 5k and we had the offer we wanted and had accepted it by 12. They are looking to move end of October which works for us as the house we are moving into is now empty so we can start getting it cleaned and looking at getting a new kitchen in.

It belongs to my parents so they have promised if for any reason we end up not moving in they will pay back the cost of the new kitchen so we are happy about getting on and getting one fitted as the one in atm is from the 80s.

I reckon after all the moving costs and money we will spend on kitchen and some new furniture we will have just over £30k to keep for a deposit on our next house so will be looking at adding to that over the next few years - atm I'm thinking we will aim to save around £5,000 a year but will see how it goes.

Still planning to keep a diary as it really motivates me - is that allowed? I won't have a mortgage but still a deposit will be used to achieve mortgage freedom at some point - may have to revise my target age of 40 thou .

Off the meet nephew today very excited!!!! I have managed to do my revision this morning so when I get back can have a relaxing evening with tv to myself as Mr Moomin is going into the office for the night.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend x
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 11th Sep 17, 9:38 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Of course it's allowed!

Congratulations on the house sale and for getting the offer you wanted, and on the birth of your new nephew Exciting times for you guys! x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 11th Sep 17, 11:33 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Yup lots going on to keep me busy which is how I like it!

Today I popped upto Mr T's to get my mum a birthday card for tomorrow - me and Button are going to take her for lunch while Munchkin is at school which will be nice. I have also not got an revision scheduled in for tomorrow which will be my last break before my practical weekend - starting to get nervous . I have booked this and next week off work to give me a few extra hours so fingers crossed it will go fine.

No other news but hope everyone has a great week x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 19th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Thought I'd pop in quickly for an update - we are waiting for the buyer to provide her solicitor details but it's been nearly two weeks so I'm a bit worried about if they are going to change their minds . I have my exams this weekend though so I'm putting it all off until Monday when I will get it all sorted out.

Have been revising like crazy lately - I swing from feeling fairly confident to a jittery mess thinking I know nothing will be glad to get the weekend out of the way!

Still waiting on the bank to apply my overpayment so I can update my signature and not much news otherwise.

Hope everyone is having a good week x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 27th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    I'm back with a mixed bag of news. First off I passed my weekend practical - I was so nervous but all the studying paid off in the end, I have 4-6 weeks wait to find out if I passed my two theory papers but I'm feeling like I did enough to get the marks I needed. I have a call with my tutor Friday to book in my next course timetable and hoping to be qualified by Summer 2018.

Bad news is our purchaser had to pull out but has said once they have an offer on theirs will come back to us if ours hasn't sold - unfortunately we have already given them three weeks and so can't sit round any longer with ours off the market. I was happy not to have to deal with viewings while revising so I'm not too upset about the wasted time but fingers crossed someone else comes in with an offer soon.

Button is now pretty much walking and looking so pleased with herself everytime someone stops to tell her how well she is doing and Munchkin has told me he is excited I have a break from studying so we can do fun things again so will be planing on getting back to baking with him on Fridays.

I hope everyone is ok - I had to call the bank today to chase up my overpayment being applied so hoping to update signature early next week as it is really out of date now!

xx
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 28th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Was payday today so just logged on to do all my shuffles and thought I would update my signature as payment has now been applied - we have dropped another 1% on our LTV which is always nice and we will be out of the 40s next month.

Have a call with my tutor tomorrow so have spent some time tonight looking through my course material and have a list of questions I want to ask before I commit to a date.

Anyways I hope everyone has had a good week so far and will check in again soon x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 29th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Spoke with my tutor and will be starting next course in January 2018 looking to have completed it by May/June time which will give me the Summer off with Munchkin and then looking to launch business September 18 exciting times!

We have one viewing booked in for tomorrow and one for next Saturday - the online app is saying I've done 27 of them now and tbh I'm fed up but needs doing.

Work has now started on Munchkin's Xmas quilt as I can't give Button one for Christmas and not him. We are going with a Superhero theme and Mr Moomin has been drafted in to help with the drawing of the symbols. With having a break from my studying I can also start Christmas planning which makes me very happy . Get ready to hear all about the Moominhouse plans!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 2nd Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Happy Monday all.

Viewer at the weekend wont be putting in an offer - they have 4 kids and said they are thinking of a fifth so not too sure why they came to look at my little terrace as it can feel a bit cramped with the 4 of us so would not fancy there being 6 or 7!

Me and Button have done the food shop this morning and picked my brother up an engagement card - him and his girlfriend got engaged and now have a furbaby so they are coming round on Saturday for a meal and are bringing their puppy with them, I'm now dog broody but Mr Moomin sees this as a positive step away from baby broody .

Spent last night doing a Xmas budget so may start to order a few things. My side is fairly small numbers but Mr Moomin has two brother who each have two kids and it soon starts to add up - I do love Christmas thou so have been putting aside regular savings each month from Jan so we have enough.

Will have to wait until Firday or Monday to send OP but this month will be a good one as we will be into the 130's .

Have a good week all
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 4th Oct 17, 8:22 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Evening everyone.

Waiting for my regular mortgage payment to come out before this month's OP can go. We did win £75 on the PBs this month so very happy about that.

Button has her follow up hearing test on Halloween - she still isn't saying any words but does babble and she definitely knows what we are saying alot of the time (she understands come here, can I have it, where's bunny and dance) so I think she is being a bit lazy with talking as Munchkin is very good at talking for her.

Have ordered a few xmas things while places had sales on but leaving Munchkins closer to December incase he changes his mind. Also looked at my folders for my next course as even thou it doesn't begin to Jan I want to be prepared and not forget what I've learned so far.

Hope everyone is having a good week
    • ch4rly2002
    • By ch4rly2002 5th Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    ch4rly2002
    Hey MM, I'm really sorry to hear the house news Hopefully you'll get an offer soon so you won't have to carry on with endless viewings.

Congrats on the exam result and the PB win too! Some good news to cheer you up after the house news x
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 6th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Thanks ch4rly - tbh out of the house and my exam I was glad it was the house that fell through and not my exam .

Me and Button went to see Munchkin collect his merit at assembly this morning, although I had to hang round outside until it was his go as Button thought she would cheer endlessly for all so didn't want the other parents missing what was being said about their kids. We then had to come home and drop Munchkin's bookbag back at school as he forgot it (probably trying to get out of weekend homework).

Then went to pick up some toys I'd ordered for Xmas which I have to hide so now Button is having a nap as she scoffed down her cheese sandwich and then tried to fall asleep in her highchair .

No plans for the weekend really except for my brother coming over but hope you all have a lovely one
    • Moominmamma89
    • By Moominmamma89 9th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Moominmamma89
    Check out the signature - below £140k, very very happy when I logged on to see that!

In other news we have had an offer from a couple that came at the weekend to see the house again for £195k so just waiting for them to send confirmation of deposit and mortgage offer to agent today before we proceed. They are first time buyers so no chain that may break down this time and I'm keeping everything crossed it all goes through.

Had a lovely weekend - my brother and fiancee came for dinner so got to hear all about wedding plans and Munchkin and Button have been asked to be involved which is exciting.

Mr Moomin has promised to help me fleabay anything we come across when packing that needs gone so hoping to agree a timescale with buyers this week and then get cracking.

Hope everyone has a good week x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,497Posts Today

9,554Users online

Martin's Twitter