Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bocaboca
    • By bocaboca 31st Aug 16, 7:28 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bocaboca
    Folium Consulting -- "free" seminar on estate planning etc
    • 31st Aug 16, 7:28 PM
    Folium Consulting -- "free" seminar on estate planning etc 31st Aug 16 at 7:28 PM
    Has anyone any experience of this company who offer free 90min seminars covering a range of topics associated with wills, care-home fees, probate etc?

Every participant is eligible for free in-home consultation for which there is "never any obligation from us".... which is sounding a little warning bell in my head.

Any thoughts?
Page 2
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 14th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 5,003 Thanks
    Malthusian
    But it turned out that people were actually interested in using trusts to keep money out of the hands of their children's potentially divorcing spouses.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    If I want my children to have some money I'll give it to them, and trust their judgment as to who they've chosen to marry. Even if their spouse is thirty years younger, on their eighth marriage, keeps black widows for pets and is called Bumtmi Usbandov.

Setting up complicated and tax-inefficient arrangements as a way of telling my children that I disapprove of their marriage is not something I can see myself doing.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 14th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 10,817 Posts
    • 22,530 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    We went to a seminar like this years ago (different firm though). It was a topic we knew nothing about; we gained from the lessons. Somewhere their name is on file in case we should wish to update our info and pursue their suggestions. I didn't feel under pressure at all.

What was fascinating is that the seminar started on the assumption that people would be interested in using trusts as part of IHT avoidance. But it turned out that people were actually interested in using trusts to keep money out of the hands of their children's potentially divorcing spouses.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    Yes that was a topic at the one we went to.

I think I am right in saying a Trust cannot be challenged like a will?
    • W A Howard
    • By W A Howard 13th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    W A Howard
    Getting a Will written
    During November this year, many solicitors are writing Wills free of charge, in return for a donation to Will Aid (the donations being divided into 9 charities, such as NSPCC, Christian Aid, British Red Cross etc. The suggested donation is £95 for a single will or £125 for a pair, and all the money goes for these charities and none to the solicitors, Details of how to book up are at willaid.co.uk
    We are thinking of going to a seminar, having found some useful suggestions from a similar one with another organisation a few years ago, but we wouldn't expect to commission them to act on our behalf.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,677Posts Today

10,265Users online

Martin's Twitter