Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• warehouse
    • By warehouse 29th Aug 16, 4:02 PM
    • 2,735Posts
    • 5,062Thanks
    Parking Eye - New Driver
    • 29th Aug 16, 4:02 PM
    Parking Eye - New Driver 29th Aug 16 at 4:02 PM
    Hi Everyone, I've used your advice successfully many moons ago and could really do with some guidance on this one. I'll keep it as simple as possible, if you guys think we have a case then I'll go into more detail.

My daughter is a new driver, (less than 2 months), and this is the first time she's used a car park. The car park is run by Parking Eye. She used the car park to park for her part time job so was there for 5 hours.

She parked but didn't have any change, so followed the instructions on the sign to pay with her debit card. The sign says "text "info" to xxxxx for payment instructions". She did this. The text she got back said the following:

"To park send the location number on the PayByPhone sign, followed by parking duration, your 3 digit CVV and your number plate to xxxxx".

She did this and had a reply saying she hadn't formatted the text correctly so she sent it again correctly and then had no other reply, so she assumed all was OK. Obviously I know that you can't pay anything by CVV number alone, but she was simply following instructions and assumed you could.

The next day she did exactly the same thing.

Today, just back from Reading Festival and her two unopened letters contain 2 x parking fines for £60 each, rising to £100.

Obviously there's been no communication with Parking Eye just yet, and if the good folk here say hard luck pay it, we'll pay it. However, I'm not sure it's that clear cut, hence asking for advice.

Many Thanks.
Page 2
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 16th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 5,062 Thanks
    OK so this just got interesting:

To quickly recap, on two consecutive days my daughter paid by text by sending just her number plate and CCV number and thought this was accepted. All other info is in the previous posts. We sent off two appeals to parking Eye, one for each day but basically identical.

On Friday she received two letters.
    Letter one says this: We can confirm that this charge has been cancelled and there is no outstanding payment due on this account.

Letter two is a rejection of the appeal with a popla code.

So two identical appeals, one accepted, one rejected. I presume this will help in the appeal to popla?
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 16th Oct 16, 8:31 PM
    • 4,660 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    pappa golf
    yes PE have admitted a fault in their phone/txt/web application , you could mention this back to PE , or simply go to POPLa , however after you have exhausted time and effort submitting an appeal (mentioning first ticket) they will simply not bother to rubuke it and therefore not pay £27
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 17th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 5,062 Thanks
    however after you have exhausted time and effort submitting an appeal (mentioning first ticket) they will simply not bother to rubuke it and therefore not pay £27
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Thanks for replying PG but I don't get this last bit. Can you explain it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

2,194Users online

Martin's Twitter