Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 29th Aug 16, 1:14 PM
    • 3,538Posts
    • 17,307Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    NST: Sailing into September
    • 29th Aug 16, 1:14 PM
    NST: Sailing into September 29th Aug 16 at 1:14 PM
    Welcome to September’s Ninja Saving Turtles challenge – it is the start of Autumn on 22nd September when we have the Autumn Equinox and on 29th September we have Michaelmas Day to celebrate the end of harvest.

Also on 29th September Horatio Nelson was born – Wikipedia says this about him ‘
    He was noted for his inspirational leadership, superb grasp of strategy, and unconventional tactics, all of which resulted in a number of decisive naval victories.’.
    I believe that all us Turtles are Nelson, we are inspirational and we are taking the lead in our own households, we are very good at strategy – just look at our challenges each month and most of all we may be seen by others as unconventional but really we are making the most of what we have and planning for our futures with victories along the way.

Everyone needs to be more like Nelson!!!

Rules:

Spends – aim for at least 14 NSD’s.

Eating – menu plan for September. Can you start using up bits in the freezer ready to make room for Christmas food? Make sure you take lunch to work every day.

Presents – make your Christmas lists. Who needs a present and who will just have a card? Can you reduce any of the people you ‘have’ to get presents for? Could you make any presents - we have plenty of time to prepare things? Do you need sellotape/wrapping paper/bows etc? What are you doing/where are you going for Xmas this year? Can you start buying food ready – remember a lot of meat goes up in price from the end of November so get it early while you can. (This might be controversial but anything you buy from your Xmas list this month will not count towards a spend day unless you buy other stuff as well – I want everyone to be well underway for Xmas by the end of September)

Time – make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.

Empty – pick a drawer or cupboard to empty and sort through. If it’s the junk drawer what can you do to stop it becoming a junk drawer? Keep on top of this drawer/cupboard all month so nothing that shouldn’t be there goes in.

Meet meet up with a friend/family member who you have not seen for ages but keep meaning to. Ring/email/text them now and arrange something for this month.

Bed– either start bedding down the garden for winter or you will start making the bedroom suitable for the cooler weather.
    In the garden, start sorting out the pots – do they need a wash before being stored for winter? Does the garden furniture need any oil/paint before it gets put away for winter? Do any flowers/bushes need cutting back yet?
    In the bedroom, do you need to put the winter duvet on? Do any duvets need washing? Can you have a clear out – clean under the bed, wash down the bedside tables?

Exercise – do as much exercise as possible, aim for every 2 days as a minimum. Can you make the most of these evenings before it gets dark at 5pm? For those like me who have dogs, can you walk them a different route or for longer?

Reading – the first public lending library opened on 6th September 1852. If you have not yet joined your local library could you join it? Everyone will read a book during this month and report back with comments – hopefully it will encourage others to try new books. Books can be either fiction or non-fiction.

• The challenge will run from 1st September 00:01 until 30th September 00:00.
    • Everyone is to budget their income for the month and remember to pay your debts first.
    • To celebrate Michaelmas Day I would like you all to donate to a food bank or to host a share meal with friends/family. I used to love the Harvest Festivals when I was a child; everyone would bring in a tin of food to be donated to the local food bank and the local vicar would do a lovely service all about harvest. Could this tie in with the Meet part of our challenge?
    • Were you a NST last year? 12 months ago applemuncher asked:
      12 months from now, you will be one year older.
      But will you be one year better?
      If you want to change where you are in your life, it is up to YOU and you alone.
      Where do you want to be in 12 months’ time?
      Plan for your future.
      So what did you want to happen in 12 months -has it happened?

Here is a link to Sept 2014 – find your post and report back:
      http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5314988&highlight=nst+september

So who would like to join me for September?
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for September
    NSD - 12/14
    (up to 21/9/16)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
Page 20
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 21st Sep 16, 11:24 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 19,894 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello,

As DH is playing football tonight, is busy tomorrow and gone by Friday, I thought better get another sensible shop in without actually dragging everybody round the shop. So did a Asda pick up shop (same day is still free compared to Tesco) and got a couple of fruit deals, a mahoosive chicken to be used as rubber chicken and some other bits and bobs needed. Hopefully this plus freezer stocks etc should take us to payday next Friday apart from milk.

Also set up a new kitchen online saving account. My target is 3k in two years. Will try to save 50 each month first (=1200) and top it up as I can from selling things etc, which i need to restart. As all our debt is and will be at 0% till paid off, this makes sense. As these 50 quid need to come from somewhere I will need to tighten the purse strings. I would REALLY like a new kitchen way before we move out so I can actually use it

Off to play some more with figure and make a plan for the weekend. Well and do some work....

EDIT:
    Plan for the next few day.:
    - cook soups from food stocks in freezer (curried lentil and spinach, scotch broth) for cheap lunches next week
    - look out my SLR for sale
    - start boxing up stuff in guest bedroom etc
    - rekindle the earning of Amaz0n vouchers (Done-resurrected some old survey accounts and got back on Pinec0ne)
    Last edited by thriftylass; 21-09-2016 at 2:55 PM.
    NST Sept no 2
    SFD 12/14 spend 6??/500 (some spends should've come out of savings) Exercise 14/22
    Debt - all 0% 2497/5290 (48% paid off)
    DFD 07/2017
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 21st Sep 16, 4:35 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Will update properly tonight but Sunday was a NSD as was Tuesday so at 10/14. Spends today as needed petrol and I might have purchased a coffee this morning....
    September grocery challenge - 224.04/250 | Emergency 1,000 challenge - 294.24/1,000
    Debts
    Credit Card: 258 (0% APR) | Car Finance: 10,862 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: 113,497 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: 140
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 21st Sep 16, 5:30 PM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 13,441 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Woo! Double digits! NSD no.10 for me!
    Will need to buy some shopping tomorrow as it's my turn to get the big meat order from the butcher, will probably be around 50-60 but it lasts us a good few weeks and we only need salad/veg and milk top-ups the rest of the time (which BF has been paying for )

Cycled to/from work again today. Not as dizzy as I was yesterday, but still uncomfortably hot and sweaty. I wish they had showers at work!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Sept Grocery Challenge 100.20/150 Sept NSD's 12/14
    EF Challenger #36
    41.32/1868.82 Lose weight 0/10lbs
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 21st Sep 16, 10:21 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 15,189 Thanks
    mothernerd
    mothernerd i wouldn't know where to store such a toilet roll stash. Till after Christmas we'd need at least 90, about 6 a week. Lol
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    I have nine foot ceilings so they are going on top of the wardrobes
    (spare quilts and pillows are already up there).
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy. 2016 Be Healthy, Be Happy, Have more fun.NST Sep#7 SFD10/14 Budget Food 94.99/ 65 Transport 7.50/35.Ext 10/ 20 Clutter free 1054/5050. 3-6 Month EF completed 28/01/16 Weight loss 11lb
    Mortgage Free since5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/015/2016
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 21st Sep 16, 10:42 PM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 20,555 Thanks
    Fmess
    Evening all,

Still manic so a quick check in. SFD number 12 but was treated to the cinema and popcorn by my family
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = 13339 1340.00 (90.0% cleared) DFD = Jan 2017

Sept NST #5 SFD 12/15 Food 95.12/90 Personal 172.91/200 Petrol 40.01/80

POAYDI2016 #08 4687/6029 77.7%

• Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 22nd Sep 16, 7:16 AM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 17,307 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Happy Autumn Equinox Turtles!!!

NSD - 12/14
    (up to 21/9/16)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 22nd Sep 16, 7:21 AM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 17,307 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Reporting in a NSD on Tues and Weds which takes me up to 12 so far.

Hoping today will be NSD also but from tomorrow onwards it could get spendy as got a list of things DS needs for Uni so need to buy all of that.

Everyone is doing fab and I am so grateful you have embraced my challenges.
    NSD - 12/14
    (up to 21/9/16)
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 22nd Sep 16, 9:00 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 19,894 Thanks
    thriftylass

Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    Autumn is one of my favourite seasons.

Not much to report. Hopefully another SFD today, making it 11. I think I should reach my target or more.

Started booking gym classes for next week after having a week off.

I asked about the holiday club for the second October week and it will be 20 cheaper than budgeted, so that goes to the kitchen fund.

Till later
    Last edited by thriftylass; 22-09-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    NST Sept no 2
    SFD 12/14 spend 6??/500 (some spends should've come out of savings) Exercise 14/22
    DFD 07/2017
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 22nd Sep 16, 9:12 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Morning Everyone

20th and 21st September

Been a hectic couple of days. Doctors appointments, babysitting unexpectedly and trying to get organised for our holiday. Double checked travel arrangements trains aren't running between Edinburgh and Newcastle so having to be bused to Berwick. Bit of a pain but our friends are picking us up there so at least there is no disruption to our onward journey otherwise we would have missed the connecting bus and had an additional two hour wait.

Have had to buy some things so no NSD days and only minimal walking.

I have, however, been powering on with the clearing out. Tidied both freezers, fridge and kichen cupboards (including the dreaded under sink again!). Hope to do some more tomorrow and catch up with writing a few more cards.

Have a good day
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 22nd Sep 16, 9:18 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 4,664 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning Turtles.

Failed yesterday as I needed to stop into SM for dinner. Need to plan ahead better. Lessons learned this month and I 'must do better' next month.
    Barclaycard - 990.84
    Follow my Debt Free Diary - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
    NST#24 (3/14)
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 22nd Sep 16, 10:44 AM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 14,431 Thanks
    Calling14

Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    So cute love it EE
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now 3687
    EFund #9 110/1,000 Saving xmas2016 #22 36/366
    PAYDBX 2016 #16 3260/6947.00 3687 to go
    #13 1 debt vs 100 days challenge part 23 878.96/1800
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 22nd Sep 16, 11:00 AM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 14,431 Thanks
    Calling14
    Apologies I have really not got into this months challenge, been spending mainly on repairs and items needed around the house which hadn't set aside any budgets for. Bad planning again.

I am reading posts each day but useless at posting oops. All change from today, will account for every last penny.

Well almost managed to read a whole book thanks to this challenge something haven't done in years besides kids ones.

Gained a SFD yesterday eventually, 3 pounds boots voucher off lady called at house doing a short survey, 5 pounds paid back by daughter which I never thought I would see again. Win win day.

Managed to change lawn mower blade(thanks to borrowing socket set) so cut grass and finished emptying all summer flowers from tubs.

Yesterday excitement Cockatiel on next doors roof, anyway owners came with blanket and sprig of maize and managed to capture it. 1 hr wasted watching operation. So glad they got it lovely yellow bird
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 22nd Sep 16, 5:18 PM
    • 2,246 Posts
    • 23,545 Thanks
    XSpender
    DH has been diagnosed with a chest infection today. 10.70 spent on a Chinese curry last night to cheer him up, 33.60 on prescriptions for the invalid and 3.75 on food because he forgot his packed lunch.

I never managed my run yesterday but since I am at the PT on Friday on my own due to DH being ill it will be doubly intense so glad I saved my energy.

I am nowhere near my weight goal for the end of the year so I am going to start logging my food into MFP again and charge up my fit bit and aim to drink more water

I have written a financial plan for the rest of this year and also for the next 2 years which I need to discuss with DH. It has changed our focus a little as I cant do everything at the same time and I keep chopping and changing what our priority needs to be so hopefully this will give us a clear strategy.

So today I have paid 10 to the ISA and am waiting for DH expenses which will mean another 47 can be transferred over too.

DH went to buy a game at Mr S and got some great vouchers; 3 off 30 and 10 off a 50 shop and 200 points on my favourite GF bread. I never get any decent vouchers when I go.

I will use the 3 and 200 point vouchers tomorrow to do a small shop until next weekend. We have quite a lot in the fridge and freezer still and only need the basics really. DH has put in a request for sausage casserole so will need leeks

The bigger voucher will do for our monthly big shop the week after.

DS's annual rugby subs and registration fee need to be paid at the weekend and he is at a party on Saturday so will need a card for that. I will put some money in her card which seems to be common practice at his school.

I am looking forward to my visit to the library tomorrow
    MFiT #36 Goal 30,000
    2016 mfw #13 20,000
    Save 12k in 2016 #89 Target 5000
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 22nd Sep 16, 6:31 PM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 13,441 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Planned spend day for me today, I did however only spend 23.86 at the butchers, as they were completely out of their 20 chicken breast pack we usually get.
    Also has my music lesson today. I don't count my lesson as a 'spend' as it is budgeted for. However he is away next week so I will pop the 20 I would have spent into my savings.

I have made good headway on my brothers xmas pressy, I have stitched together one full triangle. I have worked out I will need to crochet 330 tiny green squares thou, which is a bit daunting. Better get back to it!
    Last edited by x_raphael_xx; 22-09-2016 at 10:43 PM.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Sept Grocery Challenge 100.20/150 Sept NSD's 12/14
    EF Challenger #36
    41.32/1868.82 Lose weight 0/10lbs
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Sep 16, 7:42 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 19,110 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone - I've been a bit quiet mainly because I'm busy, but also because my self esteem has done a disappearing act again. I suspect that it's all to do with how very tired I am and how busy work is at the moment.
    I'm well overspent this month - mainly due to completely blowing the grocery budget because I can't be bothered with food prep at the moment. Meh. Days like this are just best left behind, with an early night.
    My handmade Christmas is coming along beautifully though - I'm hopeful I might get it done...
    NST Sept #16 NSD 13/14 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (634.37) 3-6 month EF #101 a day for Christmas 2016 #32
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 22nd Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,241 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Hi turtles,

Up to 12 NSDs now.

A bit more decluttering done, including the kitchen, and 2 more items sold and posted.

Garage door still broken but DH managed to get the lawn mower out to at least tidy up the grass.

Feeling generally pleased with progress.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 23rd Sep 16, 9:29 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Morning Everyone

22nd and 23rd September

Going away first thing tomorrow morning so very busy today. I won't be able to progress further with some of my goals so this is where I'm at:

Had another NSD bringing me up to 10. Think that realistically this is all I'm going to manage this month.

Didn't do too badly with the menu plans and did only buy meat etc if it was reduced.

Feel I'm well ahead with Christmas. We've even decided what we'll eat on Christmas Day but a bit too early to buy that yet

Cupboards etc looking a bit tidier but a work in progress I think.

Did meet my cousin and made an attempt to contact some others but no response as yet. I'll send some postcards when I'm away.

Pots not looking too bad now. I'll plant some autumn bedding plants and bulbs later.

Read three library books. Going to keep this going.

My neighbour's son is on his honeymoon but I have my little hamper ready to give to him.

Haven't walked as much as I would have liked but lots of long walks and me time planned for the next two weeks.

Don't think I'll be able to post whilst I'm away (not very good on tablet) but I'll check in to see how you are all doing. Looking forward to the October challenge.

Enjoy the rest of September and for those of you who are not feeling too well hope you feel better soon.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 23rd Sep 16, 9:53 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 19,894 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Good morning.

Another SFD today.

Started sorting through my photos as I haven't printed much off from the kids simply due to cost and time. My colleague suggested snapf!sh. If you sign up on your phone you get 50 free prints each month for a year (plus 2.99 postage) which is way cheaper than Tesc0 etc. So I usually sort the pics on my pc and then order them through my phone. Anyway, that was my tip for the day.

DH will be off the London today for the weekend (work). So the weekend should be cheaper food and drink-wise. FIL is coming tomorrow but got dinner sorted. Might just need to get some bacon and rolls for Sun breakfast.

Will bring some boxes home from work to tidy stuff in the guest bedroom and have a toy cull in the living room. And a general tidy/clean.

Tada
    Last edited by thriftylass; 23-09-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    NST Sept no 2
    DFD 07/2017
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 23rd Sep 16, 10:31 AM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone

I'm back and up running. I had a lovely holiday, plenty of exercise, two books read load a of me time (whilst topping up vitamin D levels) and spends were a lot less than I anticipated.

So had a few days back at home and done a lot of washing and a sm top up of food, so hopefully I will only have to buy some milk. The allotment is still producing so I will be ok for veggies and the freezer is full of other stuff so I should rack up a few sfd between now and the end of the month.

I haven't caught up with the back posts but I will go back and have a catch up. Friends came to take me out for a meal yesterday and as I haven't seen them for a while it was lovely and the food was great and they bought me some goodies as well.

Anyway better go for a bit as the lottie needs a good tidy up so that will be my exercise for today.

Nannyg
    Mortgage free and debt free at last, but still frugal as retired. Time to enjoy life on a state pension!!!
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 23rd Sep 16, 1:33 PM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 14,431 Thanks
    Calling14
    SFD so far but out for tea tonight not sure how generous bf is feeling lol.

Full of head cold feeling rough, would have cancelled but didn't see him last weekend and he has offspring rest of the weekend.

Tomorrow nothing planned have a cleaning job that I can do which will bring a few pennies my way so if its wet weather will go and do that.
    May even do the dreaded kitchen drawer as only have a week to work on it left before Oct appears.

Diet not going great but hey ho another 1lb off this week 6lb in total.

Toni's friend have a good break. I want one.

Nannygladys
    glad you had a good holiday. Jealous of your home grown veggies.

Thrifty
    - toy clear out needed her too, put everything in the garage and need to de clutter before it all returns to my nice tidy lounge.

CCL
    - try and have a good rest over the weekend.

Roll on home time my throat is killing me. Looking forward to making an iced coffee.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

400Posts Today

4,107Users online

Martin's Twitter